Censorship

Hi all, 

I've a question concerning the game on PS4 for EU owners. Is it censored like it was on PS3?

Thanks for you time.

If you want the uncensored version, get the cracked version on PC or look it up on YouTube :)

I'll buy it on US or CA PSN Store ;-)

Yeah, that would also work :P

I dont know why they bother with censoring games anyway. Its not like its going to stop us from seeing it when we have the internet.

They censor it because of the government. For example, Australia have very strict rules about what can and can't be seen. It's not the creators WANTING to censor it, it is because they HAVE TO censor it.

• Like 2

They censor it because of the government. For example, Australia have very strict rules about what can and can't be seen. It's not the creators WANTING to censor it, it is because they HAVE TO censor it.

It's Ubisoft's fault. They'd only have to censor it for the German market but they decided to censor it for all of Europe because that was easier with the physical releases. Even then it was just a precaution, nobody forced them to.

Really bummed with the news that the PS4 version is still censored. It's really bullshit since a bit late on in the game relies on you having learned something in one of the bits that was cut.

Edited by BillyHorrible

It's Ubisoft's fault. They'd only have to censor it for the German market but they decided to censor it for all of Europe because that was easier with the physical releases. Even then it was just a precaution, nobody forced them to.

Really bummed with the news that the PS4 version is still censored. It's really bullshit since a bit late on in the game relies on you having learned something in one of the bits that was cut.

It's not Ubisoft's fault. It's the countries in which the game has to be classified in. As I said, to get a rating in Australia, it needed to be censored. If there was no censor, then it wouldn't get a classification from the classification board, meaning it couldn't be released. 

It's not Ubisoft's fault. It's the countries in which the game has to be classified in. As I said, to get a rating in Australia, it needed to be censored. If there was no censor, then it wouldn't get a classification from the classification board, meaning it couldn't be released. 

It is shit when it isn't needed in all the countries in that region. They can release different versions for each part of the region too.

• Like 1

It is shit when it isn't needed in all the countries in that region. They can release different versions for each part of the region too.

Well they can but if you look on the other versions you will see different screens at different points where things have been censored. For example: The UK version has Big Ben and saying "Sorry England..." etc. Whilst Australia has that same scene (and another one) with a Koala saying "Sorry Australia..."

So, they did make different versions.

The PC version is uncensored worldwide btw. Only some releases of the console version are censored.

EDIT:

My bad: Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Germany, Austria, and Taiwan are the regions with censoring on all formats, while it's selective on others for the console version.

Edited by SkyMason

Well they can but if you look on the other versions you will see different screens at different points where things have been censored. For example: The UK version has Big Ben and saying "Sorry England..." etc. Whilst Australia has that same scene (and another one) with a Koala saying "Sorry Australia..."

Never heard of the Big Ben one. All of Europe should have the same one:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cb/South_Park_The_Stick_of_Truth_Euro_Censor.jpg

Of course they made different versions for EU and Australia, those are two different regions.

We're talking about the Europe region. For Europe, only Germany was iffy (nobody from Germany forced Ubisoft to do anything, they did this pre-emptive). Ubisoft decided to censor the whole region instead of just Germany, so they'd only have to ship one version of the game to Europe.

So yeah, totally Ubisoft's fault in Europe's case.

• Like 1

Are you sure they did actually make different versions and they didn't just look at your PS3's language setting or something? AFAIK the same disc on PS3 will automatically be in a German when you use a PS3 set to German language, just like it will be in English when English language is selected. This obviously doesn't work if you only got the English language on the disc or download.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cb/South_Park_The_Stick_of_Truth_Euro_Censor.jpg

Of course they made different versions for EU and Australia, those are two different regions.

We're talking about the Europe region. For Europe, only Germany was iffy (nobody from Germany forced Ubisoft to do anything, they did this pre-emptive). Ubisoft decided to censor the whole region instead of just Germany, so they'd only have to ship one version of the game to Europe.

Norway is not part of EU, just saying, and I bet I would get the same message. ;) And Germany is pretty known for censorship, though so is England.

Edited by MMDE

Norway is not part of EU, just saying, and I bet I would get the same message. ;) And Germany is pretty known for censorship, though so is England.

I used "EU" as short for Europe, not as the European Union :-)

Yeah both England and Germany are heavy censors but Ubisoft did not even wait for a verdict, nor did they give the rest of Europe a normal uncensored version. What was cencored wasn't even something that had to go, it was an age rating game.

Are you sure they did actually make different versions and they didn't just look at your PS3's language setting or something? AFAIK the same disc on PS3 will automatically be in a German when you use a PS3 set to German language, just like it will be in English when English language is selected. This obviously doesn't work if you only got the English language on the disc or download.

That wouldn't be the case cause English is my countries native language too, you know xD

So yeah, totally Ubisoft's fault in Europe's case.

Sorry, my bad... I didn't quite remember what the picture was for the EU region. :/

That wouldn't be the case cause English is my countries native language too, you know xD

There's definitely info on your PSN account about it being Australian, but it might be they went ahead and actually added a different picture for each version, I can definitely be wrong about it, and that'd be pretty lame. Just so you know, system settings do differentiate between English languages, like UK and USA. :P

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/systemlanguage.html

I assume Australia uses UK.

I was hoping the dumb censoring would be removed for the PS4 version, so it sucks that it isn't. I can't really be bothered to jump through all the loop holes to get an uncensored PS4 copy on my UK account. I'd like to play these games, but stuff like this just makes me lose interest.

I imported the US version of the stick of truth on PS3 to avoid the censorship applied too the UK release, I don't mind getting the censored PS4 version as I at least have the uncut version at my disposal - I do however worry if the fractured but whole may be subjected to any censorship too though?

At least it was widely reported that the EU would receive a censored version before launch so fingers crossed if Ubisoft do decide to play silly buggers and make any cuts to the sequel they should let us know upfront again so we can make an informed choice

There's definitely info on your PSN account about it being Australian, but it might be they went ahead and actually added a different picture for each version, I can definitely be wrong about it, and that'd be pretty lame. Just so you know, system settings do differentiate between English languages, like UK and USA. :P

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/systemlanguage.html

I assume Australia uses UK.

Well, that would be because I am Australian ahahah. Yes, Australia does use English (UK) but, going back to the different picture: i don't think so - just EU and AU as seen by this article

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2014/03/our-censored-south-park-the-stick-of-truth-is-mighty-similar-to-europes/

• 5 weeks later...