Celestial weapons worth it?

D4N11--

I need to grind sphere grid now, I hit always 9999 as its the max without celestial weapon with crest and sigil. So I'm thinking should I get the crests and sigils and break max hit limit is it faster to grind sphere grid then in kottos and tom jingerberry?

Edited by D4N11--

Aren't they needed for trophies?

They are pretty decent, but you could potentially make (much) better weapons, though it's a lot of work, more so than just getting the celestial weapons, which you must get anyway. Lulu's weapon is pretty annoying to get though. Can't remember if the chocobo stuff is required for another part, but the rest is pretty easy IIRC.

Edited by MMDE

Aren't they needed for trophies?

Yea they are, it's just obtaining them rather than fully powering them up though (which is a relief as I sucked at the butterfly minigame needed to power up Kimarhi's weapon.)  

If I remember correctly, if you're using the Don Tonberry method for levelling, then you want to be using the weapons/armor you customized specifically for that method to increase the amount of AP you receive.  

I always went for the celestial weapons because grinding the ingredients to make weapons for hit expander on your own was to bothersome... Furthermore you unlock hit expander for your aeons as well...

And fighting some of the optional boss monsters without hit expander is quite impossible i think... you mentioned fighting against Dark Valefor already... i don't think you can beat him in a good time without any hit expander weapon... not until you fight him for an hour or two (if your party survives that long :P ) :D :D

They are worth it, unless you plan on using Zanmato on everything.. and even then they are useful to kill Evil Eye or One-eye (forgot the name of the species creation of that species) or Sleep Spout..

There's essentially 3 types of weapons that you need for 3 different things:

1st - Capture weapon, bought from monster arena guy (customised with Deathstrike, Stonestrike for efficiency)

2nd - Triple AP, Triple Overdrive, Overdrive to AP (the Evil Eye species creation that I mentioned drops them with Triple AP and Overdrive to AP if I'm not wrong, Ultima Buster can drop them with the 3 abilities, but he's no pushover..) - This is used to farm AP, mainly the Don Tonberry method, since it's the most efficient way..

3rd - the Celestial Weapon for general combat.

All those weapons when fully upgraded (Sigil + Crest) have things that are either hard to get or unique to them, like:

All have give Piercing effect (that don't take an ability slot) and Damage Break limit (to get it on normal weapons you need either an item hard to get that I forgot the name, or as a drop from Dark Aeons, and maybe Nemesis),

All have bonus damage based on HP or MP (no other weapon gets this bonus), Auron does more damage based on his current HP, the lower the HP the more damage he does (it's the best way to farm Sleep Spout early on, since 1 HP with not to high ATK and decently high max HP can allow you to easily do 99.999), Yuna and Lulu is based on the difference between current MP and max MP, for Tidus, Rikku and Wakka the closer to full HP and the higher the max HP the more damage they do, Kimari is also HP based if I'm not wrong.

They really are essential if you plan in fighting a lot in the monster arena, or even on the Omega Ruins/Sin.. otherwise you will be relaying entirely on Anima and Magus Sisters to fight..

Said this, Lulu and Kimari are probably the less useful thanks to both characters Overdrives and weapon bonus.. Kimari simply doesn't stand out as anything, and Lulu main advantage is 1 MP cost.. Rikku weapon isn't great, but it has Gilionaire making it extremely useful if you decide to hunt Mimics on Omega Ruins..

Also the more important one is Auron, not only because of the bonus damage on low HP, but also because it's the only one with first strike (you can customise it, but this is the easier way.. also Auron is the easiest to fully upgrade).

Then Wakka/Tidus are important because of their overdrives.. So they are worth the extra work, specially Wakka.

Also, you need to place the Crests on the weapons to give Damage Break Limit to your Aeons (Anima and Magus Sisters have it by default, but the other's don't).

Edited by Han_the_Dragon

• 4 weeks later...

Rikku is important because of her mix..

so bascially end game is Tidu, Riku, Wakka.

not sure how strong or useful are Aeons during end game. 

Aeons > anything

And this is for many reasons, not just Yojimbo one hit kill anything, but you basically got things that can fight for you, so your team doesn't take damage and they can do massive damage, especially the magus sisters. I think one of the magus sisters can do the most damage in the game, passado or whatever it's called.

Every other character in the game is pretty much the same except for their limit breaks. Yuna can summon Aeons, nobody else can, best character in the game, hands down, especially post-game.

This fact alone makes Yuna the strongest character in the game.

:P

Riku is IMO pretty shit even if she got like one or two useful mixes.

EDIT:

It is however true that you should make sure that Tidus, Wakka and maybe Riku is at the very least a little bit strong for like one boss fight you can't use Yuna in.

Edited by MMDE

Rikku is important because of her mix..

so bascially end game is Tidu, Riku, Wakka.

not sure how strong or useful are Aeons during end game. 

The only mixes that really matter on her :

• Trio of 9999:(Makes all actions do a constant 9999 damage/healing as long as the original value was between 1 and 9998)

Wings to Discovery/Door to Tomorrow/ Gambler's Spirit + Wings to Discovery/Door to Tomorrow/ Gambler's Spirit

• Sunburst:(Does a constant 19998 damage. Doesn't need Break Damage Limit)

Underdog's Secret + Underdog's Secret.

• Hyper Mighty Guard: (Endows front party with Haste, Shell, Protect, Regen, and Auto-Life). Light/Lunar/Star Curtain + Amulet/Pendulum/Wings to Discovery/Door to Tomorrow.

• Ultra Null all:(Adds all four Null Spells to frontline party. Plus casts Cheer, Focus, Aim, and Reflex 5 times).

Light/Lunar/Star Curtain + Healing Spring.

• Hyper Vitality:(Doubles Max HP of frontline party plus casts Cheer 5 times)

Tetra Elemental + Three Stars.

Potion/Hi-Potion + Stamina Tonic

• Eccentrick:(Makes party's overdrive guage rise twice as quickly. Stacks with weapon abilities like Triple Overdrive).

Pendulum + Underdog Secret/Wings to Discovery/Door to Tomorrow.

• Chaos Grenade:(Does ~7250 damage. Plus Poison, sleep, darkness, silence, Power Break, magic break, armor break, and mental break)

Stat Sphere + Grenade.

• Level 3 Elmental mixes:( 9 elemental hits for 900 damage each. Subject to damage change via elemental affinity)

Elemental gem + Level 1 Key Sphere.

If you move forward in the game you will not notice the difference, since the characters have the same abilities! the only thing different is the aeons (yuna) and overdrives