Rise of the Tomb Raider

I refuse to buy it after they pulled that exclusive crap. If they didn't want my money last year, they aren't getting it this year.

ABSOLUTELY AGREE! I am going to wait at least a year after it releases before I get it due to my Sony exclusivity agreement. Or when I can get the full game with dlcs for $20. Whichever happens first

I can't wait to buy a used copy of this game. SE won't see a penny from me for it.

Wait, what?

Being petty over something Sony, Sega and Nintendo created is suspect.

Wait, what does Sony, Sega and Nintendo have to do with a deal between Square Enix and Microsoft?

I was commenting on the fact that someone is being petty over this deal ever though Sony and others do the same type of deals as well.

I'm joining camp petty with the others. Just like Mat, I'm getting my copy used. I also cancelled my collector's edition of Osiris last year, played that one only when it came on PS+.

Yes, I know, Sony pulls the same crap. On the same franchise even in the past, and this year alone with Batman VR and Spiderman. There's a big difference though: with Rise Of The Tomb Raider, I am the one who is being kept from enjoying a franchise he loves. I reserve the right to be petty on this. It's my money and I will choose how I spend it, damnit.

Edited by BillyHorrible

I personally don't think the PS4 version will sell very well for a couple reasons:

1) A lot of people will be waiting for preowned copies.

2) It'll have been a year since RotTR first released, and since then it's also been released on Steam. Chances are people who have PS4's and are waiting for this game have played it on another platform and don't want to play it again for whatever reason.

3) People will be waiting to play this game since they've had a year of games come out that they need to get through, instead of playing RotTR when it should've come out alongside the Xbox versions.

4) Hype for this game has massively died off, and people are already forgetting this game exists. Imagine how much the already non-existant hype will be in another 4 months.

5) The game also might not sell as well if Sony doesn't put out certain editions. A vanilla edition and a complete edition have been rumored, but the prices that are rumored aren't appealing to a lot of people I've talked to. The content in each edition and the price will probably drive more people away until it divebombs down to $20

• Like 1

I personally don't think the PS4 version will sell very well for a couple reasons:

1) A lot of people will be waiting for preowned copies.

2) It'll have been a year since RotTR first released, and since then it's also been released on Steam. Chances are people who have PS4's and are waiting for this game have played it on another platform and don't want to play it again for whatever reason.

3) People will be waiting to play this game since they've had a year of games come out that they need to get through, instead of playing RotTR when it should've come out alongside the Xbox versions.

4) Hype for this game has massively died off, and people are already forgetting this game exists. Imagine how much the already non-existant hype will be in another 4 months.

5) The game also might not sell as well if Sony doesn't put out certain editions. A vanilla edition and a complete edition have been rumored, but the prices that are rumored aren't appealing to a lot of people I've talked to. The content in each edition and the price will probably drive more people away until it divebombs down to $20

There's DLC for Rise of the Tomb Raider?

Yes, I'll be petty. I'm deciding to spend my money in a way that tells them it was a poor business decision.

So you would have been okay with Sony doing that? You are currently playing call of duty and rocket league, they also had timed exclusivity but I feel that you was okay with that because Sony did it.

Enjoy the game, its pretty good, DLC was excellent.

I'm joining camp petty with the others. Just like Mat, I'm getting my copy used. I also cancelled my collector's edition of Osiris last year, played that one only when it came on PS+.

Yes, I know, Sony pulls the same crap. On the same franchise even in the past, and this year alone with Batman VR and Spiderman. There's a big difference though: with Rise Of The Tomb Raider, I am the one who is being kept from enjoying a franchise he loves. I reserve the right to be petty on this. It's my money and I will choose how I spend it, damnit.

Ah, so you're a fan-boy. Well, enjoy playing something I played nearly a year ago brand new at $30. It's a really decent game, you'll enjoy it.

There's DLC for Rise of the Tomb Raider?

According to achievement sites, three DLC on X1 upped the achievement count from 66 to 113. Dunno how many DLC there is without achievements.

Ah, so you're a fan-boy. Well, enjoy playing something I played nearly a year ago brand new at $30. It's a really decent game, you'll enjoy it.

Wouldn't call myself a fan-boy (okay, maybe love was too strong a word... really likes then?) but the (Crystal Dynamics) Tomb Raiders have always been a guilty pleasure of mine (before CD, I hadn't played through any Tomb Raider since the original).

I have no doubt I'll enjoy the game, I was looking forward to it very much... over a year ago, before they told me I had to wait another year because I thought getting a PS4 would be better than remaining at Microsoft's side (and I'm not into getting multiple consoles of the same generation). Right now, I've got many other new games that excite me much more, like No Man's Sky, Fractured But Whole, Horizon Zero Dawn... I've already got all those on pre-order and I'd rather get into those right away than to pay full price for a game that's already a year old. I'll get it when I get it, somewhere down the line. They made me wait a year, but by now I can stand waiting even longer.

Wouldn't call myself a fan-boy (okay, maybe love was too strong a word... really likes then?) but the (Crystal Dynamics) Tomb Raiders have always been a guilty pleasure of mine (before CD, I hadn't played through any Tomb Raider since the original).

I have no doubt I'll enjoy the game, I was looking forward to it very much... over a year ago, before they told me I had to wait another year because I thought getting a PS4 would be better than remaining at Microsoft's side (and I'm not into getting multiple consoles of the same generation). Right now, I've got many other new games that excite me much more, like No Man's Sky, Fractured But Whole, Horizon Zero Dawn... I've already got all those on pre-order and I'd rather get into those right away than to pay full price for a game that's already a year old. I'll get it when I get it, somewhere down the line. They made me wait a year, but by now I can stand waiting even longer.

You should always expect the unexpected, it sucks but that's life. Street Fighter 4 sold well on Xbox 360 but XB1 didn't get SF5, worse they tried to replace it will the Steam edition and that failed horribly.

According to achievement sites, three DLC on X1 upped the achievement count from 66 to 113. Dunno how many DLC there is without achievements.

Ohh so there is, looks like one is a crappy horde mode? or something DLC. Looks like 2 story DLC, so I'd take the Complete Edition, if it's anything like the previous game then I'm sure it's all awesome anyways.

You should always expect the unexpected, it sucks but that's life. Street Fighter 4 sold well on Xbox 360 but XB1 didn't get SF5, worse they tried to replace it will the Steam edition and that failed horribly.

Agreed. I'm still getting over the idea that there will never be a sequel to, or remake/spinoff/reboot of, Eternal Darkness. That game was amazing and getting more seemed like a sure thing at one point. Let's hope that upcoming Call Of Cthulhu game will make things right.

Ohh so there is, looks like one is a crappy horde mode? or something DLC. Looks like 2 story DLC, so I'd take the Complete Edition, if it's anything like the previous game then I'm sure it's all awesome anyways.

I'll want at least the story DLC as well. It's supposed to be more of a Tomb Raider game than the previous one and less Far Cry.

Edited by BillyHorrible

There's a season pass for $29.99 for RotTR. I commented this before, but it's been rumored that when the PS4 version comes out, there's gonna be 2 editions:

Vanilla Edition: The game, and all the patches/updates included on disc. $49.99

Complete Edition: The game, all patches/updates on disc, and a digital code for the season pass to download all DLC separately: $69.99

If this is true, you're saving $10 on the season pass by buying the complete edition. I personally would like the prices to be $39.99 and $59.99, though the Xbox One version is still $49.99...

So you would have been okay with Sony doing that? You are currently playing call of duty and rocket league, they also had timed exclusivity but I feel that you was okay with that because Sony did it.

Enjoy the game, its pretty good, DLC was excellent.

BLOPS3 has dlc timed exclusivity and rocket league isn't an established franchise. Not all exclusivity is created equal. But I don't need to convince you. Like I said: my money, my decision.

• 2 weeks later...

A release date of November 10th, 2016 has appeared on a gamestop website. Has yet to be confirmed 

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/07/17/release-date-for-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-ps4-appears-on-italian-site

Italian. It's more likely October 11th. Either way, not worth full price unless it has all DLC. 

• Like 1

Italian. It's more likely October 11th. Either way, not worth full price unless it has all DLC.

Yeah the date shown is 11/10/16 which is 11th October 2016 in Europe. IGN should really better their research!

Anyway I'm looking forward to getting this as a long time fan of the series, not really excited yet though after how bored I was with the last game but I'm willing to look past that and give it another chance. Really do hope it's a complete edition with all DLC, would be quite the slap in the face otherwise in my opinion.

• Like 3

Hopefully Square Enix aren't counting on there being that many sales from this game. The lack of advertising for a PS4 version combined with the bitterness that some hold about the temporary exclusivity will mean that the game won't do as well, especially at full price when the game has been out for a year on other consoles

If Square have the audacity to try and release this game at 70 euros a year after its initial release without any of the DLC, they can fuck right off.

On one hand, I don't want to buy the game new. It shows support to Square's awful practices, and tbh Tomb Raider just isn't as good as it used to be.

On the other hand, Tomb Raider is (or at least used to be) my favourite franchise. Sure, 2013 happened, but that was one blip in an otherwise great franchise, so how bad can Rise of the Tomb Raider really be? By buying new, I'm supporting the franchise and helping secure its future.

It's very much a 'cut off the nose to spite the face' scenario to me, and I'm not quite sure what the best course of action is. I'll definitely get it either way, and certainly won't be getting it at full price, but I'm not sure if I should get it pre-owned or new :hmm:

Still though, I am quite disappointed. This year is Tomb Raider's 20th, and I have been hoping for a TR Anniversary 2 for 9 years... and to see that dream not be realized is crushing. And not much else is being done to celebrate the anniversary either. We get a new book... and... uh... a video. So... yay? Oh, and a game that was delayed a whole year due to bribe money I guess :dunno:

If Square have the audacity to try and release this game at 70 euros a year after its initial release without any of the DLC, they can fuck right off.

On one hand, I don't want to buy the game new. It shows support to Square's awful practices, and tbh Tomb Raider just isn't as good as it used to be.

On the other hand, Tomb Raider is (or at least used to be) my favourite franchise. Sure, 2013 happened, but that was one blip in an otherwise great franchise, so how bad can Rise of the Tomb Raider really be? By buying new, I'm supporting the franchise and helping secure its future.

It's very much a 'cut off the nose to spite the face' scenario to me, and I'm not quite sure what the best course of action is. I'll definitely get it either way, and certainly won't be getting it at full price, but I'm not sure if I should get it pre-owned or new :hmm:

Still though, I am quite disappointed. This year is Tomb Raider's 20th, and I have been hoping for a TR Anniversary 2 for 9 years... and to see that dream not be realized is crushing. And not much else is being done to celebrate the anniversary either. We get a new book... and... uh... a video. So... yay? Oh, and a game that was delayed a whole year due to bribe money I guess :dunno:

I guess the solution is to buy it new, but on sale. How long that will take though is anyone's guess

This year is Tomb Raider's 20th, and I have been hoping for a TR Anniversary 2 for 9 years... and to see that dream not be realized is crushing. And not much else is being done to celebrate the anniversary either. We get a new book... and... uh... a video. So... yay? Oh, and a game that was delayed a whole year due to bribe money I guess :dunno:

I'm with you on that! The 20th anniversary has been dire. It would be amazing if the team that worked on Guardian of Light and Temple of Osiris could make Anniversary-style remakes of the classics while the main team waste their time with the "main" series. :P

Yeah the date shown is 11/10/16 which is 11th October 2016 in Europe. IGN should really better their research!

Anyway I'm looking forward to getting this as a long time fan of the series, not really excited yet though after how bored I was with the last game but I'm willing to look past that and give it another chance. Really do hope it's a complete edition with all DLC, would be quite the slap in the face otherwise in my opinion.

As long as this game really doesn't have multiplayer, then I'm ready to indulge in what the game offers. Still, better be complete edition. I haven't a clue as to what this sequel's about, considering I somehow remained spoiler-free since release :P

Americans doing research into how other countries work? That's funny :-)

Though I (a European) am still of the opinion that we should all switch to year-month-day. That's the way to get everything in order chronologically.

As for OT: I thought the year delay was already a slap in the face. I'll get it used sometime, they didn't need my money last year so they won't need it now. Plus, really bad timing with that release date as PS VR is scheduled to release two days later.