Time consuming- vs. skill games

D4N11--

Time vs. Skill  

63 members have voted

1. 1. I prefer out of 2 opinions to plat:

• Skill games
    • Time consuming games

skill is defined mostly by personal experience and ability compared to another's, and "time consuming" is an arbitrary statement, as what takes one person 1 hour could just as likely take someone else 15 minutes.. it's subjective to the player.

i try to play games that challenge me to adapt with different styles of game-play and introduce unique mechanics..

if the game is requiring a bit of time investment for a trophy or something, i'd prefer whatever task to not require a ton of effort.. but then i wonder, why even make this a thing if it's not going to require effort.. then i start thinking about how devs are always trying to milk playtime out of us, get angry and move onto something else more skillful :P

Edited by usrmd

I am a bit on the fence with this one. on one hand you have a great feeling for doing a difficult trophy. although on the other hand you could be stressing all day and be no closer to the trophy, at least with time consuming plats you no you are making progress.   

Can both be an option? I love RPGS (which are long and grindy) and fighters (which are more skill oriented). It honestly depends on what mood I'm in really. Whatever is fun at the moment.

It's also why I -and many others I'm sure- tend to be playing more than one game at a time.

Depends on the game but I usually enjoy time-consuming games a bit more.

I do enjoy the challenge of skill games at times but with shooters and things like that I'm usually not good enough and it feels like the game wants you to be angry at it.

Games like Fallout 3 and Skyrim are fun for me because I see Patience as a skill itself and enjoy doing things without having to do something that requires doing something on a harder level than you have to.

That's why Fallout New Vegas disappointed me. It was both time consuming and had a trophy where you had to play the game on the hardest setting, kind of ruined the experience knowing I'd never get the Plat because of that.

I think majority of this site are trophy hunters, and afaik the game owners / trophies earned in this site are calculated from this site's members+ the people who are synced to this site. I could be wrong but thats how I've been feeling all the time

No, probably not even half of the accounts tracked in this site are from trophy hunters, since a lot of people adds counts from other people just to check their trophies, and this leads to tons of non-trophy hunter accounts and alt accounts being tracked too.. if it was only tracking trophy hunters accounts you would barely see any account in the leaderboard under lvl10 or something, but there are tons..

I did not vote because I like both skill based and grind based. Basically I'll play/platinum whatever game interests me really. This is one of the many reasons why Divinity Original Sin is one of my favorite games, as it is both. (Not really a grind, but it is a somewhat long game due to the length of it's story)

As for your comment about the 9% FFX plat, vs the 0.7% OlliOlli 2 plat...

It is a similar situation to the Souls game franchise, where FF has a dedicated fanbase. Not to mention it's a remaster of one of the best PS2 classics.

Whereas OlliOlli might be a good game (I'm not going to judge the game as I have never played it) but the fact it was offered for free on PS+ inflates the rarity % by a lot.

I love both lol 

Skill Games: Games that requires one's skill, like Batman: Arkham Asylum. The Combat Challenges.

Time Consuming: Games that requires a certain amount of time, like y'know, those Grindy games! Mortal Kombat, for example.

Edited by ee28max

Skill-based games are more rewarding to plat, for me at least.

2 of my plats, Black Ops 3 & Geometry Wars 3, both have ~1.17% plats. One took 100+ hrs and I left the game feeling relieved. The other took 20-30 hrs and left me feeling really proud.

As long as there are no grindy mp trophies I'm fine with both.

Skill Games: Games that requires one's skill, like Batman: Arkham Asylum. The Combat Challenges.

Time Consuming: Games that requires a certain amount of time, like y'know, those Grindy games! Gran Turismo 5 for example.

I'm pretty sure GT5 is a skill game.

Hmmm.....

I enjoy difficult but fair games. These are the types of games that you have to practice in order to become better at the game, but won't be artificially hard for no good reason (MGS Revengence, Bayonetta, Dark Souls etc)

But, I also like a good grind if the game is fun.

Ex. Borderlands(character levels, best weapons), Rouge Galaxy(best weapons, best Insectrons), Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2(play through the game 7-8 times, weapon kill count).

Edited by The_Blackout_Kid

I would try to get the platinum in any game that interest me I don’t care if its skill based or grindy.

But if is a long grind it depends on what I am going to do, for example if its a good RPG I love it because you usually get cool stuff for your efforts beside the trophies (Summons, weapons even secret endings :awesome: ) but after grinding votes in ModNation racers (vita) and suffering in the Crysis 2 MP (and still no platinum :shakefist: ) I try to stay away from that kind of grindy games.

With the skill games its the same if its a game that I love like a MGS I don’t mind failing again and again because when you beat that boos or complete all the challenges...that happiness you get reminds you why you are a trophy hunter.

PS: I really suck at fighting games so I usually don’t get the platinum for those -_-

for some reason i have a higher skill for time consuming

actual skill games not so much (depends on the game) devil may cry with S ranks nope not a chance.

if look at my trophy list, there's some games like final fantasy X and X-2 that took a month to complete. i am proud of those.

Edited by kingdrake2

I don't mind time consuming plats if I enjoy the game. Even if I don't have to do anything particularly hard, it feels like I accomplished something since I put in a good amount of time. Sure, harder games are more satisfying to plat. Not that I have a ton of too difficult plats. I don't really seek games that will challenge me because I get stressed/discouraged too easily. I most prefer a mildly challenging 30-50 hour plat. Something that requires at least some effort and will last me a decent amount of time I guess.

I can't stand grinds. While I have to admit that I do feel like I've accomplished something when they're over, the process of doing them is boring as hell. I much prefer Skill based games...even though my rarest platinums are mostly grind-based  :ninja: