Certified Item?

DarkAnimaa

For god sake lol ... So what you are saying is you can't play it legit for 2 hours a night, instead you've got to idle it for 10 hours a week and being an annoying shit to everyone else who wants to play a normal game during that time period.

All because of a few trophies .. Wow ...

I am saying that trophies that are set up in this way are going to encourage this type of behavior, whether you like it or not.    If they're going to put trophies with ridiculous requirements, they shouldn't be surprised when people go to ridiculous lengths to earn them.  

Blame the developers for the ridiculous spawn rates and trophy requirements.  This wasn't a problem when they had trophy requirements that were reasonable.  

And you do realize you're on a trophy hunting site, right?  You're going to find a significantly higher number of people on here who are going to value trophy hunting over actual gameplay. 

Edited by The-Man-In-Black
  • Like 2

I am saying that trophies that are set up in this way are going to encourage this type of behavior, whether you like it or not.    If they're going to put trophies with ridiculous requirements, they shouldn't be surprised when people go to ridiculous lengths to earn them.  

Blame the developers for the ridiculous spawn rates and trophy requirements.  This wasn't a problem when they had trophy requirements that were reasonable.  

And you do realize you're on a trophy hunting site, right?  You're going to find a significantly higher number of people on here who are going to value trophy hunting over actual gameplay. 

The devs are not to blame lol, it's the mind set of people like you, that instead of playing the game, while waiting for the items to drop have to leave their console on and ruin everyone else's experience just to earn a trophy. 

"ridiculous requirements" all you gotta do is play games normally and wait for the item to show up, then play normally again and try to get goals, saves, or whatever it is you can get by playing normally .. Ridiculous indeed ..

Bring 'em all on, I'll say the same thing to all of them. I enjoy trophies too, but 1) the game is fun to play (very rare thing nowadays). 2) I;m not one for ruining someone else's experience of a great game because of a few pixels.

• Like 4

The devs are not to blame lol, it's the mind set of people like you, that instead of playing the game, while waiting for the items to drop have to leave their console on and ruin everyone else's experience just to earn a trophy. 

"ridiculous requirements" all you gotta do is play games normally and wait for the item to show up, then play normally again and try to get goals, saves, or whatever it is you can get by playing normally .. Ridiculous indeed ..

Bring 'em all on, I'll say the same thing to all of them. I enjoy trophies too, but 1) the game is fun to play (very rare thing nowadays). 2) I;m not one for ruining someone else's experience of a great game because of a few pixels.

Dude....switch to decaf.  Seriously.   There's no need to resort to personal attacks against those that don't agree with your point of view. 

And yes....most people consider something that has a drop rate of one drop in a 10 hour period, and will only even spawn for 10 hours a week to begin with, a ridiculous requirement.   At your rate of "playing a couple of hours a day", some people could theoretically go weeks or even months before having a painted or certified item spawn.   Most reasonable people would consider that a ridiculous requirement, especially when compared to the other 60 or so trophies that are in the game that don't have such requirements.  

The trophies wouldn't be such a problem in the first place if the drop rate wasn't absurdly low.  The drop rate is the biggest problem.  Whatever your feelings regarding the upgrading requirements, the fact remains that having those kind of upgrading requirements only serves to encourage people to play with a focus on attempting silly tasks vs. just trying to play the game.    Whether it's tying a rubber band around the controller in an attempt to get drops to spawn in your absence, or players intentionally playing badly because they're trying to set up situations that almost never happen during the course of natural play, trophies like this only serve to encourage bad play that most normal players would consider disruptive.

IMO, they should have just done what they did with the rest of the trophies.  Let people spawn and boost them in private matches.  That way, the trophy hunters get the trophies, and normal players don't see their games get invaded by trophy hunters.   The online gameplay is strong and popular enough to survive on its own without the need to artificially boost it with tacked on trophy requirements.  In some games with weak online play, tacked on trophies may keep games that would otherwise quickly die on life support.  But in games like this, it only serves to disrupt normal gameplay by introducing trophy hunters who otherwise have little interest in the game.   The game would have been better off without these trophies, for everybody involved.

• Like 2

Coffee's disgusting. I don't care if people don't agree with me, idling in online matches with other people ruins their experience, thats it. I've had enough of trying to actually play the game and then some dick of teamate is either idle or being a complete asswipe.

You completely misunderstand the loot system .. it's 10 hours of in match gameplay that items will drop of, that's 120 matches (minus any overtime) of potential loot a week. Every minute you don't get loot the % of you getting loot goes up, until you get it then it goes back to the original state to start climbing again. Plus, if you wait a few weeks, they're gonna patch in trading so you can get the items that way... There really isn't any legit reason for idling in online games

The upgrading is fine xD So it encourages someone to set more goals up, or stay back and try to get more saves, they are all legit styles of play. They may encourage someone to focus on trying to score goals, but that's one of the main objectives of the game .. So is staying back and trying to block shots and joining attacks late on. You don't intentionally play badly because you wanna save more shots, or score more goals lol, if anything you get better at doing what you're trying to do with practice.

• Like 1

Coffee's disgusting. I don't care if people don't agree with me, idling in online matches with other people ruins their experience, thats it. I've had enough of trying to actually play the game and then some dick of teamate is either idle or being a complete asswipe.

You completely misunderstand the loot system .. it's 10 hours of in match gameplay that items will drop of, that's 120 matches (minus any overtime) of potential loot a week. Every minute you don't get loot the % of you getting loot goes up, until you get it then it goes back to the original state to start climbing again. Plus, if you wait a few weeks, they're gonna patch in trading so you can get the items that way... There really isn't any legit reason for idling in online games

The upgrading is fine xD So it encourages someone to set more goals up, or stay back and try to get more saves, they are all legit styles of play. They may encourage someone to focus on trying to score goals, but that's one of the main objectives of the game .. So is staying back and trying to block shots and joining attacks late on. You don't intentionally play badly because you wanna save more shots, or score more goals lol, if anything you get better at doing what you're trying to do with practice.

And you're completely misunderstanding how randomness works.  That 10 hours of in-match gameplay may only net you some useless uncommons or rare item drops.  People are reporting that their 10 hours of gameplay has only net them a couple of uncommons and no painted or certified items at all.   The randomness (and ridiculously low spawn rate) of the drops means that players could go weeks or months without getting a single certified or painted item at all.  If you were guaranteed certified or painted items after X hours of gameplay, your point would be a lot more valid. 

Regarding the upgrading, your point only holds for the simpler certified requirements -- if you're lucky enough to get one of those to spawn.  But things like upside down goals, backward goals, etc. rarely happen during the course of normal play.  Regular goals?  Wins?  Saves?  Yes, stuff like that could just be earned during the course of normal play.   People who end up with a certified drop that requires them to do things like earning upside down goals are going to do silly things to set up ridiculous scenarios to grind out the requirements, which is just as disruptive as using a rubber band to spin in circles.  The only other option would be to wait for God knows how long, hope another certified drop shows up, and hope that the upgrading requirements aren't as silly.

If you are willing to do that, more power to you.  Most dedicated trophy hunters are not, and are going to find the quickest and easiest method to achieve them.  You don't have to like it, but it's the reality of the situation.  Most trophy hunters are not going to spend hundreds of hours playing this game in the hopes of randomly being in a position to score upside down goals or whatever a few hundred times.  They're going to try to do so in the quickest way possible, which means playing the game in such a way as to artifically set up difficult scenarios rather than trying to help the team win the game, disrupting the game for everybody else. 

If you don't want people disrupting your game play while trying to grind out trophies, then your best course of action would be to join in with the multiple other people who are asking the devs to increase the spawn rate drop and allow the trophies to be grinded out in private matches, just like virtually every other trophy in the game was.  But if you think that coming onto forums with a sarcastic attitude and talking down to people because they're not playing the game the way you think the game should be played is going to accomplish anything at all, you're going to have a bad time.

Allowing the trophies to be grinded out in private matches is a win-win for everybody.  Trophy hunters can boost the trophy, legit players don't get their games disrupted by players trying to grind out the trophy, and those who want to earn the trophy legitimately can still do so. 

• Like 3

But if you think that coming onto forums with a sarcastic attitude and talking down to people because they're not playing the game the way you think the game should be played is going to accomplish anything at all, you're going to have a bad time.

That's funny .. Didn't think idling was a way of playing any game and certainly not what devs had in mind when they were creating this game. If you wanna idle, play Rock simulator, you can idle all you want then.

Why don't you just wait till they patch in trading, instead of disrupting normal, legit games. I mean you're all complaining about 10 hours a week blah blah, just don't play it for now and trade both items in a few minutes, then work towards the upgrading in 1v1s ...

• Like 2

That's funny .. Didn't think idling was a way of playing any game and certainly not what devs had in mind when they were creating this game. If you wanna idle, play Rock simulator, you can idle all you want then.

Why don't you just wait till they patch in trading, instead of disrupting normal, legit games. I mean you're all complaining about 10 hours a week blah blah, just don't play it for now and trade both items in a few minutes, then work towards the upgrading in 1v1s ...

Trophies have been around for 7 years now.

This is far from the first game or first trophy that has had comparatively ridiculous unlocking requirements.  And in all of those cases, trophy hunters have resorted to all sorts of various ways to earn them in ways that the devs clearly never intended.  It would be downright silly to think that the devs had no idea that people would disrupt legitimate games in order to boost/grind out these trophies.  I cannot picture the devs being that batshit stupid.  And while I agree with you that idling is not a legitimate way of playing the game, neither is driving around backwards all game trying to earn backwards goals, or whatever you have to do to earn upside down goals, etc.  Those are just as disruptive as idling, yet many of the certified items explicitly require it.   I'm pretty sure that the devs had enough foresight to know that these requirements were going to lead to this kind of play.  Given that the devs explicitly programmed difficult requirements that require non-normal play in the game, it's pretty obvious that they're not as concerned as you may think they are. 

And if you find someone in your game who's spinning around or trying to grind out these trophies, you can simply just exit the match and find a new one.  It's not like the game has any shortage of players; there's tens of thousands online at any given point in time.   Granted, you shouldn't have to.  But like it or not, it's a side effect of them inserting ridiculous trophies with ridiculous requirements.   Petitioning the devs to fix the issue as I mentioned in my last post is going to have at least some chance of having an effect; attempting to belittle players who are trying to earn the trophy has no chance of accomplishing a damn thing. 

• Like 1

This wouldn't be an issue if the developers didn't give these drops a ridiculously low spawn rate, even more ridiculous and unnecessary time limit for these things to even drop (10 hours/week?  WTF?), and then semi-ridiculous levelling requirements that deliberately encourage this kind of play.

I cannot confirm this, but it *appears* that if you have friends in your game, it stops counting progress towards the trophy.  If true, this is probably intentional to prevent boosting. 

I've also heard that the long-goal requirements are also bugged themselves, often not counting long goals towards your total even when earned legitimately.

Wow...I got a long goal last night and it didn't count too.

• Like 1

Trophies have been around for 7 years now.

This is far from the first game or first trophy that has had comparatively ridiculous unlocking requirements.  And in all of those cases, trophy hunters have resorted to all sorts of various ways to earn them in ways that the devs clearly never intended.  It would be downright silly to think that the devs had no idea that people would disrupt legitimate games in order to boost/grind out these trophies.  I cannot picture the devs being that batshit stupid.  And while I agree with you that idling is not a legitimate way of playing the game, neither is driving around backwards all game trying to earn backwards goals, or whatever you have to do to earn upside down goals, etc.  Those are just as disruptive as idling, yet many of the certified items explicitly require it.   I'm pretty sure that the devs had enough foresight to know that these requirements were going to lead to this kind of play.  Given that the devs explicitly programmed difficult requirements that require non-normal play in the game, it's pretty obvious that they're not as concerned as you may think they are. 

And if you find someone in your game who's spinning around or trying to grind out these trophies, you can simply just exit the match and find a new one.  It's not like the game has any shortage of players; there's tens of thousands online at any given point in time.   Granted, you shouldn't have to.  But like it or not, it's a side effect of them inserting ridiculous trophies with ridiculous requirements.   Petitioning the devs to fix the issue as I mentioned in my last post is going to have at least some chance of having an effect; attempting to belittle players who are trying to earn the trophy has no chance of accomplishing a damn thing. 

I'm sure they considered the possibility of a few (unfortunately it's happening to me quite a lot, this past week). But considering how popular the game was and still is and how many times they were told it's fun to play, I'm sure they assumed most would just play it and have fun .. Guess their faith was sadly misplaced, which is quite sad to be honest.

In all the nearly 2000 games I've played I've never experienced anyone driving backwards or doing stupid stuff, even over the last week. They get reverse goals and upside down goals with skills they've learnt over the course of playing the game, or by accident on occasion. There are some pretty talented people playing this game, that have scored some insanely good goals. 

The fact that I have to petition the devs to change a trophy so I can play the game and have fun with it is pretty fucking stupid and sad. I was already enjoying the game, until people decided they'd have to idle to pretend they've earnt a trophy, rather than actually earn it.

• Like 1

I'm sure they considered the possibility of a few (unfortunately it's happening to me quite a lot, this past week). But considering how popular the game was and still is and how many times they were told it's fun to play, I'm sure they assumed most would just play it and have fun .. Guess their faith was sadly misplaced, which is quite sad to be honest.

In all the nearly 2000 games I've played I've never experienced anyone driving backwards or doing stupid stuff, even over the last week. They get reverse goals and upside down goals with skills they've learnt over the course of playing the game, or by accident on occasion. There are some pretty talented people playing this game, that have scored some insanely good goals. 

The fact that I have to petition the devs to change a trophy so I can play the game and have fun with it is pretty fucking stupid and sad. I was already enjoying the game, until people decided they'd have to idle to pretend they've earnt a trophy, rather than actually earn it.

They intentionally programmed 3 trophies with insanely low drop rates, a very high degree of randomness, and very high unlock requirements.   They've also got 7 years of trophy history to look at and see what has happened when other games have implemented similar trophies.  All things considered, to say that they couldn't see this coming would require an incredibly high level of naiveté at best and incompetence at worst. 

The trophies have only been available for less than a week.  There aren't enough players that even have the certified items unlocked yet (because they're still trying to get them to pop thanks to the ridiculous drop rates).  I'd be willing to bet that you're going to see an uptick in either players driving around and doing stupid shit trying to meet the requirements (for things like juggling, backward goals, etc.), or an even bigger increase in idling as people try to get some of the easier certified items to drop (wins, saves, goals, etc.).  

And yes, there are good players that can make insane goals.  But how long would it take for even good players to score upside down goals 200 times?  How many times does the situation to even earn these trophies happen through the course of natural play?  Doing it once is one thing.....doing it 100-200 times is a different story entirely.  That doesn't even count the fact that most players do not have the skill to earn these trophies naturally, instead relying on either setting the situations up artifically (and therefore being disruptive to other players) or relying on randomly earning them over the course of god knows how many weeks, months or years.  Most players are just going to grind out the trophy in whatever method they believe they can, and expecting them to do otherwise is both idealistic and unrealistic.

And again....if you're going to blame someone, you're going to have a better chance of getting anything accomplished by focusing on the devs for intentionally putting everybody in this situation in the first place.  They could have easily done what they did with most other trophies in the game:  allow players to grind out the trophies in private matches and leave the regular players alone.   

What I'm about to say applies to any game, not just this one:  If a trophy is likely to lead to a situation where bad play is encouraged or trophy hunters could disrupt the game play of legitimate players, the trophy itself is badly designed.   Games like COD, despite having a single player campaign that is all but ignored by most players, has virtually no online trophies.   Games like Battlefield 4 have trophies that, for the most part, can all be earned through the course of natural play without being disruptive to other players.   There are plenty of games out there that at least know how to balance their online trophies while minimizing or preventing disruption to legitimate players.  Rocket league was one of those games until these 3 trophies came along.

• Like 2

They intentionally programmed 3 trophies with insanely low drop rates, a very high degree of randomness, and very high unlock requirements.   They've also got 7 years of trophy history to look at and see what has happened when other games have implemented similar trophies.  All things considered, to say that they couldn't see this coming would require an incredibly high level of naiveté at best and incompetence at worst. 

The trophies have only been available for less than a week.  There aren't enough players that even have the certified items unlocked yet (because they're still trying to get them to pop thanks to the ridiculous drop rates).  I'd be willing to bet that you're going to see an uptick in either players driving around and doing stupid shit trying to meet the requirements (for things like juggling, backward goals, etc.), or an even bigger increase in idling as people try to get some of the easier certified items to drop (wins, saves, goals, etc.).  

And yes, there are good players that can make insane goals.  But how long would it take for even good players to score upside down goals 200 times?  How many times does the situation to even earn these trophies happen through the course of natural play?  Doing it once is one thing.....doing it 100-200 times is a different story entirely.  That doesn't even count the fact that most players do not have the skill to earn these trophies naturally, instead relying on either setting the situations up artifically (and therefore being disruptive to other players) or relying on randomly earning them over the course of god knows how many weeks, months or years.  Most players are just going to grind out the trophy in whatever method they believe they can, and expecting them to do otherwise is both idealistic and unrealistic.

And again....if you're going to blame someone, you're going to have a better chance of getting anything accomplished by focusing on the devs for intentionally putting everybody in this situation in the first place.  They could have easily done what they did with most other trophies in the game:  allow players to grind out the trophies in private matches and leave the regular players alone.   

What I'm about to say applies to any game, not just this one:  If a trophy is likely to lead to a situation where bad play is encouraged or trophy hunters could disrupt the game play of legitimate players, the trophy itself is badly designed.   Games like COD, despite having a single player campaign that is all but ignored by most players, has virtually no online trophies.   Games like Battlefield 4 have trophies that, for the most part, can all be earned through the course of natural play without being disruptive to other players.   There are plenty of games out there that at least know how to balance their online trophies while minimizing or preventing disruption to legitimate players.  Rocket league was one of those games until these 3 trophies came along.

Bad play isn't encouraged, playing the game more is.

Bad play isn't encouraged, playing the game more is

They've set up a scenario incentivizing artificially setting up scenarios that typically don't happen through the course of natural play over simply playing the game and contributing to team victory.  Your teammate isn't doing you any good if he's driving around in circles idling, or driving around backwards trying to earn a specific trophy.  That's bad play, and that's what's being incentivized with the excessive trophy requirements and absurdly low drop rates.    That may not be what the devs explicitly had in mind (though they must have known it was going to happen), but that's what programming unrealistic (for all but the top % of players) trophy requirements leads to. 

"Earn a certified item.  Certified items drop after X hours of gameplay." incentivizes playing the game more.

"Earn a certified item.  For every hour of gameplay, there is a low chance that a certified item will spawn." incentivizes idling.

"Upgrade a certified item.  A certified item is upgraded when you perform X tasks 100 times, where X is a task that happens through the course of natural play."  incentivizes playing the game more.

"Upgrade a certified item.  A certified item is upgraded when you perform a corner case task that does not normally come through natural play 100 times." incentivizes bad play by encouraging people to artificially try to set up corner case scenarios that normally don't happen.

"You can earn a certified item for X after performing X task a certain number of times."  incentivizes playing the game more.

"Certified items drop randomly, and the tasks that you have to perform are also randomized." incentivizes idling and grinding until you get a drop that's favorable to you.

Of the above scenarios, the devs chose the latter option every time.

• Like 1

Been playing on and off for the past three days, probably somewhere between 50-75 matches.  Still waiting on a certified item but got a painted one early enough (third drop I think).  I'd say on average I get a drop every 10-12 matches.  Luckily Rocket League is still fun and my daughter likes playing also but I suspect at some point in the future I'll just get pissed off with these trophies and move onto something else. When and if that happens I'll likely have a bitter aftertaste for Rocket League which maybe unfortunate.  

Games are not all about trophies but they do enhance games, however for the average gamer these random grindy type trophies are just not what we want (at least not what I want).  Having trophies with some complex challenges would be better rather than playing over and over again on line games just for the chance to unlock a specific item type.  The Survival of the Fittest trophy is a good example, at least some level of skill was needed to get that one.

Anyhow, mini rant over :-)

Last night I had someone on my team who was clearly afk. It was a 3v3 match and he was just sitting there doing nothing to contribute. That shit was pretty annoying so I started ramming him during the final minute of the match; we were already losing pretty bad at that point. He responded by racing around the walls of the arena until it was over.

• Like 2

Last night I had someone on my team who was clearly afk. It was a 3v3 match and he was just sitting there doing nothing to contribute. That shit was pretty annoying so I started ramming him during the final minute of the match; we were already losing pretty bad at that point. He responded by racing around the walls of the arena until it was over.

So he was actually there, just watching the screen while he idled ... Urgghh, and that guy I spent way too long tryna entertain earlier will probably still side with that guy -_-

• Like 1

You managed to get 100 turtle goals in 5 hours? I wish i was you :(

I employed the powers of "asking strangers nicely for a favour". About one-third of them would understand and let me score a few turtle goals at least!

Curse stupid ass trophies. But bless those who help people out to overcome this bullshit.

Edited by Esquoret

I employed the powers of "asking strangers nicely for a favour". About one-third of them would understand and let me score a few turtle goals at least!

Curse stupid ass trophies. But bless those who help people out to overcome this bullshit.

Only met ignorant people on this game, they praise you while you're making points, and if you fail a single pass they call you a noob rofl

• Like 1

Yay! I finally got a certified item! Oh wait, it's for juggling  :rolleyes:. I only got 5 of those in my total playtime of like 40 hours... Wish me luck  -_-.  

thats really unfortunate, good luck with it!! Hopefully, with some luck you may get another certified item which is much easier to do 

• Like 1

Got 2 certified items on roughly 20 matches, fire helmet and the shuriken.

Both easy ones, 200 centers ( almost half way there ) and 100 goals.

Still no sign of painted one..

Is it possible that the counter is bugged ... ? Only got 8, but I scored many backwards goals more...

Apparently there is a common glitch on the counter, i've read post ( Busdriver1205 ) that you must close and reboot the game :)