To die, or not to die?

Stargazer2600

OK so even though I platted this game I want to bring a fresh new character in to Mass Effect 3 that's imported from 2. The first time I ever played Mass Effect 2 everybody survived and I think I only lost one person once and that was thane.

Now I'm curious what would happen if most of my team died when I go into Mass Effect 3. I know the people I'm supposed to meet a replaced by generic NPCs. But it still makes me wonder how that changes the story. Is The Game worth going through if everybody dies or should I just save everybody I'm not exactly sure. Help?

Personally I always made sure to save everyone and get all the best possible outcomes on the save file I imported into each subsequent game. There are some big decisions you can make in Mass Effect 3 that depend on certains outcomes from the first 2 games and I was really glad to be able to resolve things they way I wanted to based on my decisions in ME and ME2.

Don't quote me on this but I believe if you save all possible characters in ME2 you do meet them all again but you only get to talk to them about what they have been doing. I don't believe they have any big impact on storylines unlike the main (choosable as team mates) NPCs in the game.

Edited by FilmFanatic

Personally I always made sure to save everyone and get all the best possible outcomes on the save file I imported into each subsequent game. There are some big decisions you can make in Mass Effect 3 that depend on certains outcomes from the first 2 games and I was really glad to be able to resolve things they way I wanted to based on my decisions in ME and ME2.

Don't quote me on this but I believe if you save all possible characters in ME2 you do meet them all again but you only get to talk to them about what they have been doing. I don't believe they have any big impact on storylines unlike the main (choosable as team mates) NPCs in the game.

This is correct, if you make the most of Mass Effect 3 and go everywhere etc, you will encounter your team from ME2 and a couple from ME1. There are some scenarios where if you haven't saved an ME2 character, a replacement NPC is put in their place. It won't make a difference to your final team or ending in Mass Effect 3 however.

It will just tie up a few loose ends and fill in a few story gaps.

This is correct, if you make the most of Mass Effect 3 and go everywhere etc, you will encounter your team from ME2 and a couple from ME1. There are some scenarios where if you haven't saved an ME2 character, a replacement NPC is put in their place. It won't make a difference to your final team or ending in Mass Effect 3 however.

It will just tie up a few loose ends and fill in a few story gaps.

That actually answers everything for me, thanks ;)

Yeah, a lot of characters that can die in ME2 have replacements that you encounter in their place in most (if not all) cases. It's still worth doing a playthrough of this just to see the different personalities and viewpoints of these other characters even if they aren't as memorable as the main cast. One of the few things I haven't seen that I'm slightly curious about is how everything is changed with the quarians if Tali died in ME2. I've never encountered this myself because I can never let Tali die.

Anyway, all the games are worth two playthroughs for each extreme, killing everyone and keeping everyone alive. It's not super impactful to the final ending but it's still worth each experience in my opinion. 

that's Not what I'm asking though. I'm asking in Mass Effect 2. If you'd let your team die durin the suicide mission how does that affect the story for 3? For example, I know that if Garrus dies in Mass Effect 2 Then when you're supposed to meet him on Paladin in Mass Effect 3 is replaced by just some random NPC.

But besides the characters being switch to normal Joe's as I call them. Does the story change at all in 3?

The story of saving the galaxy from the reapers doesn't change no but its Mass effect, you miss talking to a particular person at a particular time and the story is different. You don't know how different a playthrough is until you do it. My advice? Play 2 not thinking about it and import to 3 and enjoy whatever you get

• Like 1

spoiler

if most of you team dies you die tooo, and then you cant import to mass effect 3

This is not true. You can kill off TEN of your 12 squad mates (or 9 of 11 if you don't recruit Zaeed until after the Suicide Mission and then kill him off on his own loyalty mission) and Shepard will survive. A minimum of TWO squad mates must survive for Shepard to survive.

As to the topic at hand, I love BioWare for giving us the ME trilogy, but the fact that you get generic characters in ME3 to replace previously existing characters if they previous died feels like a cop-out to me. It's like the choices you made in previous games never mattered. Kill the rachni queen in ME1? It's fine. The rachni had a spare for ME3. C'mon!

This is not true. You can kill off TEN of your 12 squad mates (or 9 of 11 if you don't recruit Zaeed until after the Suicide Mission and then kill him off on his own loyalty mission) and Shepard will survive. A minimum of TWO squad mates must survive for Shepard to survive.

As to the topic at hand, I love BioWare for giving us the ME trilogy, but the fact that you get generic characters in ME3 to replace previously existing characters if they previous died feels like a cop-out to me. It's like the choices you made in previous games never mattered. Kill the rachni queen in ME1? It's fine. The rachni had a spare for ME3. C'mon!

so is Mass Effect 3 worth playing if your squad pretty much dies in part 2?

so is Mass Effect 3 worth playing if your squad pretty much dies in part 2?

I've personally never done this, but I would like to try this just to see what it's like. I know about the replacement of characters with generic characters because I've heard of others that killed off people and it didn't change anything. Really the only change is that if you kill off a character that is a known squad mate in ME3 (like Garrus or Tali), you won't get a replacement for them and you just won't have them as choices for your team.

I've personally never done this, but I would like to try this just to see what it's like. I know about the replacement of characters with generic characters because I've heard of others that killed off people and it didn't change anything. Really the only change is that if you kill off a character that is a known squad mate in ME3 (like Garrus or Tali), you won't get a replacement for them and you just won't have them as choices for your team.

OK last question. Say a complete Mass Effect 2 twice, one for the team survives and one where it doesn't. If you look at my trophies you'll see that I need the one where I kill 5000 different enemies. If I import a Mass Effect 2 save and complete it one way and then import the other say if you completed that way are the two games technically connected under my same account? Like if I get 1000 kills in one and 1000 kills in another. Are they added together? Or are they considered totally separate games?

OK last question. Say a complete Mass Effect 2 twice, one for the team survives and one where it doesn't. If you look at my trophies you'll see that I need the one where I kill 5000 different enemies. If I import a Mass Effect 2 save and complete it one way and then import the other say if you completed that way are the two games technically connected under my same account? Like if I get 1000 kills in one and 1000 kills in another. Are they added together? Or are they considered totally separate games?

Tbh, I don't remember if trophy progress stacks or not. I believe it does, but don't hurt me if you try it and it doesn't work. Lol.

• Like 1