Why i will never platinum this game.

DeadlyHawk78

so "uhh...." is spam? wtf that makes no sense. 

"uhh...." is what you say when you have nothing to say so it contributes nothing to the thread, therefore it is spam. If you want to continue this discussion then take it to PM's, otherwise we are done.

Edited by Stevieboy
  • Like 1

I also had a problem with Batman: Arkham Asylum (I was left with the Combat Challenges). I gave up after 50 tries. 3 months later, I came back for it, earned 24 medals, and got my platinum trophy. 

All you have to do, is just let time pass by.

You can give up now, but telling yourself that you'll never plat this isn't worth it. Who knows, you might even come back for this plat someday.

*It was really bad, that you wasted money to buy this game when you thought it had an easy plat*

@Stevieboy ok fine I guess we are done. I still think it's dumb

You can use the "Quote" button on the bottom right part of your page, instead of using "@s."

Hopefully Sly-Ripper makes a new update, where we can now use @ to quote (especially in Status Updates) 

Edited by Stevieboy

Just follow the rules and/or don't say anything.  The new folks nowadays :facepalm:    I don't blame the OP for not playing the game.  The game is pretty trash, although not like Superman 64.  Difficulty is subjective.  What's hard for folks isn't hard for others.  While difficulty on guides isn't necessarily accurate, one can read folks' opinions on why the game is rated as such.  

• Like 1

I don't mean this to be disrespectful in any way Matto, it's entirely your business how you game, and I respect that, but I can't recommend it either.  

1. I don't recommend anyone to do this.  I've rarely read a guide on a first play-through.  Rarely, because there are exceptions whereby the nature of the game is more or less spoil immune.   A game loses something when you know what's coming, or where everything is, or what every hidden trophy hides etc...,doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable, but it's almost certainly diminishes the 'wow'.   To me gaming like that would make me feel as if I were more concerned with trophies, manufacturing my profile and purring over my stats, which albeit some do, but, and again imo, it defeats the point of gaming which is to have fun, to be taken on an adventure and wowed (in theory lol) by the team behind the game.   I don't look at the end of, or story arcs etc..., movies or TV shows before I've watched them, I don't read the last page of a book before I start...   It's everyone's own choice, and I do genuinely respect that, but I think to game like that is to miss a little something in games is all.

2. Really just an elaboration of 1.  A guide is best used on further play-through's to mop up, whether that be collectibles, secrets, whatever trophy requirement or goal you have within a game.   That's why, or when, I'd be using a guide, almost certainly not on a maiden run.  I imagine I'm not alone here, otherwise I've completely lost touch!  Lol

As I said, no disrespect intended, genuinely, sometimes it's just better to game and forget trophies exist for a while, enjoy the game first, enjoy the trophies later, way I see it!   :)

I get what you're saying, but I didn't say I watch a full let's play of the game from start to finish, I said I read the trophy guide and trophy description.  I don't think I've ever read a trophy guide where the author specifies every plot twist and spoils the ending.  It's a really big leap to assume they all do as well.  As I said, there's potential spoilers, but usually nothing as significant as knowing all the ins and outs of the game and every major plot point the game has to offer.  I'd argue it's the opposite of that the vast majority of the time.  Most guide authors are really careful not to spoil major plot points while still providing all the necessary info to get past difficult situations.

Ironically, your point actually supports my statement.  I was referring to someone who looks up a trophy guide and then complains of spoilers.  You cut off an important line in your quote of what I said.  That line was 'some people claim to read trophy guides, but in reality they don't'.  Someone who reads a trophy guide, or says they do, shouldn't be surprised by spoilers.  They also shouldn't complain that the guide was useless or unhelpful.  You said you don't consult a guide until you've already played the game, so no spoiler worries there.  The OP at one point says he did use a guide (also it's implied from the first post as he wouldn't know it was an easy game with a low difficulty rating without reading the guide).  Please understand that I am all for everyone doing what they think is best when they play a game.  My only point was that if you're looking at a guide, then you're there for info, and should accept all the info provided without complaining about spoilers.  If you choose not to look at a guide in the first place, or only look at the difficulty poll before starting, then you should expect to run into situations you may not be prepared for.  I only used my own choices as a guide reader as an example, not a template for all other gamers.  I totally get where you're coming from in your choices though.

If you're curious to why I play with a guide first it is because I used to do what you do and it sucked for me.  Most guides will even say 'enjoy the game first and come back later to clean-up', but after doing that and missing many things that required additional playthroughs or hours of grinding to get, I started consulting guides first.  I've never noticed it affecting my enjoyment of the game one bit.  In reality, I actually enjoy the game much more because I finish it when and how I want.  It's much more annoying to me to have to spend countless additional hours on a game I'm done with just to knock out the last couple trophies than it would be to start and begin enjoying a new game.  As I said, everyone does what's right for them, and for me this is the right way.

Also keep in mind this is a game known to be easy to platinum that is also well regarded as a complete shit title.  Most people who tackle this one are here for the trophies alone and probably have consulted a guide.

• Like 2

I get what you're saying, but I didn't say I watch a full let's play of the game from start to finish, I said I read the trophy guide and trophy description.  I don't think I've ever read a trophy guide where the author specifies every plot twist and spoils the ending.  It's a really big leap to assume they all do as well.  As I said, there's potential spoilers, but usually nothing as significant as knowing all the ins and outs of the game and every major plot point the game has to offer.  I'd argue it's the opposite of that the vast majority of the time.  Most guide authors are really careful not to spoil major plot points while still providing all the necessary info to get past difficult situations.

Ironically, your point actually supports my statement.  I was referring to someone who looks up a trophy guide and then complains of spoilers.  You cut off an important line in your quote of what I said.  That line was 'some people claim to read trophy guides, but in reality they don't'.  Someone who reads a trophy guide, or says they do, shouldn't be surprised by spoilers.  They also shouldn't complain that the guide was useless or unhelpful.  You said you don't consult a guide until you've already played the game, so no spoiler worries there.  The OP at one point says he did use a guide (also it's implied from the first post as he wouldn't know it was an easy game with a low difficulty rating without reading the guide).  Please understand that I am all for everyone doing what they think is best when they play a game.  My only point was that if you're looking at a guide, then you're there for info, and should accept all the info provided without complaining about spoilers.  If you choose not to look at a guide in the first place, or only look at the difficulty poll before starting, then you should expect to run into situations you may not be prepared for.  I only used my own choices as a guide reader as an example, not a template for all other gamers.  I totally get where you're coming from in your choices though.

If you're curious to why I play with a guide first it is because I used to do what you do and it sucked for me.  Most guides will even say 'enjoy the game first and come back later to clean-up', but after doing that and missing many things that required additional playthroughs or hours of grinding to get, I started consulting guides first.  I've never noticed it affecting my enjoyment of the game one bit.  In reality, I actually enjoy the game much more because I finish it when and how I want.  It's much more annoying to me to have to spend countless additional hours on a game I'm done with just to knock out the last couple trophies than it would be to start and begin enjoying a new game.  As I said, everyone does what's right for them, and for me this is the right way.

Also keep in mind this is a game known to be easy to platinum that is also well regarded as a complete shit title.  Most people who tackle this one are here for the trophies alone and probably have consulted a guide.

Perhaps it's my fault, I should have handled my initial reply better.   I wasn't addressing the entirety of your original post at all, nor was I really addressing yourself Matto.   I plucked those two statements from your post, irregardless of context, purely to offer an alternate opinion, maybe to young, or newish gamers, or maybe some old heads that might have been nodding in agreement with those lines...either to remind them, or have them consider, the ideas of what they might want to prioritise when it comes to trophies, guides and profiles often conflicting with a games enjoyment.   There's threads on this site dealing with this, or similar, subject.   I was only highlighting and reiterating the point.   There's no right or wrong here.

I'm not trying to engage you in an argument, but...

I didn't mention let's plays...anywhere.   I didn't 'assume', but perhaps mistakenly implied that all guides spoil and spoil everything, that wasn't my intention, but I certainly couldn't agree that the 'vast majority' don't spoil either.   By their very nature guides allude to spoilers, of varying degrees, which is why, and as you state yourself, most guides come with a blind play through, enjoy the game first proviso.  There are further caveats to that though, an extreme example might be a gamer that plays solely arcade type, non-storied, games...there's really not much to spoil.  A gamer, however, that predominantly plays plot driven narrative games would likely find a lot spoiled, no matter how much effort the author put into protecting the reader.   it's worth mentioning that spoilers don't have to be implicitly stated, many are easily gleaned from the overview, or 'reading between the lines', so to speak.   I agree though, effort is made to safeguard spoilers, and certainly not all guides spoil, I didn't mean to imply that.

There was no irony in my post, nor was it supporting the idea of complaining about spoilers...I simply wasn't referring to that issue whatsoever.  I agree, people shouldn't read a guide then complain about spoilers, it's illogical, but, and if I can turn the tables a little here, that point does more to support the idea that guides will in fact spoil.   I didn't cut off the 'some people claim to read trophy guides, but in reality they don't' line, it wasn't relevant to my point, and respectfully, I'm not sure what you're getting at there...as what your thoughts were when you moved from spoilers to complaints about guides being 'useless or unhelpful'.   As a tangent, all I would say is that if any guide warrants complaint, then any constructive criticism should only serve to improve said guide, in theory!

I fully take on board how frustrating some trophy sets can be, and often how poorly implemented they are with regards to their in-game triggers, and the longer a game is, the more in-depth or complex, then the greater the validity, of using a guide to counteract that, becomes, I fully appreciate that, and in no way am I saying it's wrong to account for that prior to playing a game, just as I'm not saying it's wrong to game that way at all, I just didn't recommend it, and stated why I felt that way.  That was the only issue I was addressing, not whether people complain about spoilers, nor whether you were advocating gaming with a guide or not.   There's pros and cons to using guides on maiden play-throughs, personally I don't recommend it, but that's not to say others don't prefer doing so, I find it spoilery, others might find it practical.  I wouldn't dispute that games are still enjoyable with a guide from the off, I'm sure they are, I've done it myself, and without, and I still maintain that games lose a little something when they're planned out in advance.  

It's all just personal opinion, and as I said, perhaps I could've expressed my initial thoughts with a little more clarity, it certainly wasn't a judgement or attack on anyone that chooses to game that way, more of a gamer beware, there's really no knowing what will or won't be spoiled opening up a guide on a first play-through.   It's not my place to tell anyone how to game, it was simply to recommend enjoying games before prioritising trophies, stats and profiles, as the latter can easily affect the former.  :)

• Like 1

Some really good posts have been added with regards to reading trophy guides prior to playing a game.

I'll always look at a guide first before I start, but what I do for the most part is look at what to do in the first playthrough. I'll never look at story related trophies - what's the point they'll be earned automatically. The only trophies I'm interested in are the missable/collectable ones that could potentially add many additional hours, other than that I want to enjoy the game.

There's also the flip side to not reading a guide first if you're going for 100%. Most games that I've reached 100% in I've really enjoyed in the beginning and then started to dislike by the end due to the number of playthroughs or repeating sections over and over to perfect or grinding. Reducing the number of hours by reading guides helps a massive amount. Here's an example, I'm currently running through MGS2 which requires 5 playthroughs due to dog tags, if I didn't read a guide for the first playthrough I wouldn't have a clue about dog tags and it would then require a 6th playthrough to pick them up. I'm nearing the end of my normal playthrough and although I'm still enjoying it I have a feeling I won't be feeling quite the same at the end of Extreme.

Also considering almost every game I've purchased I've either read reviews or watched gameplay footage to determine if the game is for me then I already know what to expect to a degree and therefore a guide is spoiling very little.

Of course this is all down to the individual. I will say that almost every guide I've read really does underestimate the number of hours to complete a platinum when you're playing the game for the first time. For example 30-40 hours can easily take 50 hours. Average difficulty does a good job of giving you an overview of what to expect. Anything scoring above a 7 in difficulty or over 80 hours to complete need a closer look.

Being a completionist I try to save whatever time I can without spoiling the experience. When I average out the limited number of hours I get to play each day, estimated time to 100% and backlog of games and you realise just how long it takes. Currently standing at September 2019.

On topic: Never have or will play Terminator Salvation, sorry.

• Like 1

It was my first platinum and honestly back then I had some trouble with a few difficulty spikes but the game is overall easy and doable, but boring and tedious. I remember finishing the first level shooting my rpg into a wall and suddenly the level ended, got a trophy and continued. What a terrible game. I sure can understand why people give up on it.

Perhaps it's my fault, I should have handled my initial reply better.   I wasn't addressing the entirety of your original post at all, nor was I really addressing yourself Matto.   I plucked those two statements from your post, irregardless of context, purely to offer an alternate opinion, maybe to young, or newish gamers, or maybe some old heads that might have been nodding in agreement with those lines...either to remind them, or have them consider, the ideas of what they might want to prioritise when it comes to trophies, guides and profiles often conflicting with a games enjoyment.   There's threads on this site dealing with this, or similar, subject.   I was only highlighting and reiterating the point.   There's no right or wrong here.

I'm not trying to engage you in an argument, but...

I didn't mention let's plays...anywhere.   I didn't 'assume', but perhaps mistakenly implied that all guides spoil and spoil everything, that wasn't my intention, but I certainly couldn't agree that the 'vast majority' don't spoil either.   By their very nature guides allude to spoilers, of varying degrees, which is why, and as you state yourself, most guides come with a blind play through, enjoy the game first proviso.  There are further caveats to that though, an extreme example might be a gamer that plays solely arcade type, non-storied, games...there's really not much to spoil.  A gamer, however, that predominantly plays plot driven narrative games would likely find a lot spoiled, no matter how much effort the author put into protecting the reader.   it's worth mentioning that spoilers don't have to be implicitly stated, many are easily gleaned from the overview, or 'reading between the lines', so to speak.   I agree though, effort is made to safeguard spoilers, and certainly not all guides spoil, I didn't mean to imply that.

There was no irony in my post, nor was it supporting the idea of complaining about spoilers...I simply wasn't referring to that issue whatsoever.  I agree, people shouldn't read a guide then complain about spoilers, it's illogical, but, and if I can turn the tables a little here, that point does more to support the idea that guides will in fact spoil.   I didn't cut off the 'some people claim to read trophy guides, but in reality they don't' line, it wasn't relevant to my point, and respectfully, I'm not sure what you're getting at there...as what your thoughts were when you moved from spoilers to complaints about guides being 'useless or unhelpful'.   As a tangent, all I would say is that if any guide warrants complaint, then any constructive criticism should only serve to improve said guide, in theory!

I fully take on board how frustrating some trophy sets can be, and often how poorly implemented they are with regards to their in-game triggers, and the longer a game is, the more in-depth or complex, then the greater the validity, of using a guide to counteract that, becomes, I fully appreciate that, and in no way am I saying it's wrong to account for that prior to playing a game, just as I'm not saying it's wrong to game that way at all, I just didn't recommend it, and stated why I felt that way.  That was the only issue I was addressing, not whether people complain about spoilers, nor whether you were advocating gaming with a guide or not.   There's pros and cons to using guides on maiden play-throughs, personally I don't recommend it, but that's not to say others don't prefer doing so, I find it spoilery, others might find it practical.  I wouldn't dispute that games are still enjoyable with a guide from the off, I'm sure they are, I've done it myself, and without, and I still maintain that games lose a little something when they're planned out in advance.  

It's all just personal opinion, and as I said, perhaps I could've expressed my initial thoughts with a little more clarity, it certainly wasn't a judgement or attack on anyone that chooses to game that way, more of a gamer beware, there's really no knowing what will or won't be spoiled opening up a guide on a first play-through.   It's not my place to tell anyone how to game, it was simply to recommend enjoying games before prioritising trophies, stats and profiles, as the latter can easily affect the former.   :)

I wasn't trying to argue with you, only continue the discussion.  I figured your response was based on mine within this thread, not as a whole.  As a whole, I get your point, and the way you approach games is just as valid as anyone else.  I perhaps misunderstood where you were going with your reply because I thought it was solely within the scope of this topic and my reply to it.  I understand your point of view, I just do things differently for myself.  Each to their own, and I definitely wasn't implying people should conform to either viewpoint.

• Like 1

Ok so too start i have to say this. I got this game as a one day rental i bought some games and had a dollar left so i decided why not get a free platinum. Well.... that did not turn out so well i got the game expecting every enemy too die very quickly and expecting my character to take 1000s of hits to kill even on hard since people say this game is so easy. but no to my surprize you die in like 3 seconds with one fuck up. I got the first level done easy but getting from level 2 too 3 took me almost 2 hours check my timestamps. Then it took me till the next day too beat level 3. With my rental running out i tried to hurry then i came across the fight with the 2 terminators that shit is not fair one punch and i am dead one wrong movement i am shot and then i am dead after trying this one battle for 3 HOURS!!!!! I rage quit and returned the game and promised myself i would never play it again. So thats my story lol i hope you enjoyed it or found it funny.

The game's platinum is far from among the easiest. I'd put it up at around 3-4/10. It does require a bit from you, and how broken the game is really adds onto it. You've got sections on hard I don't think is even possible to get through without dying and relying on checkpoints to get your health back (when you're a large robot or something). The game is rubbish. I think the reason why it even got a reputation for being easy was because of the few gold trophies and how they just required you to play through the game on hard, nothing more. This is sadly easier said than done when the game is as broken as it is. I didn't have any big challenges getting this platinum, but I've done tons of games that are much easier to get the platinum for.

Of course this is all down to the individual. I will say that almost every guide I've read really does underestimate the number of hours to complete a platinum when you're playing the game for the first time. For example 30-40 hours can easily take 50 hours. Average difficulty does a good job of giving you an overview of what to expect. Anything scoring above a 7 in difficulty or over 80 hours to complete need a closer look.

Personally, I usually try to take this into consideration and add some few hours to my guides. Like my Unmechanical guide, I've got the 100% in less than an hour, and I put the time at 3 hours. RETSNOM can be 100% completed in like 3-5 hours or something, yet I put the the time at 10 hours. Siralim, it can probably be done in 15 hours, yet I put the time at 30 hours. N++ can probably be done at around 30-40 hours, yet I set the time at 75 hours. xD etc :) I guess, remember that if you look at one of my guides, that's the actual estimated time for a new player. 

Edited by Stevieboy

Just follow the rules and/or don't say anything.  The new folks nowadays :facepalm:    I don't blame the OP for not playing the game.  The game is pretty trash, although not like Superman 64.  Difficulty is subjective.  What's hard for folks isn't hard for others.  While difficulty on guides isn't necessarily accurate, one can read folks' opinions on why the game is rated as such.  

Basically the reason why i didn't get the platinum for sound shapes. i remember some guide saying it was like a 4 or 5 out of 10 in terms of difficulty.. i found it more near 7 or 8.  -_-

Basically the reason why i didn't get the platinum for sound shapes. i remember some guide saying it was like a 4 or 5 out of 10 in terms of difficulty.. i found it more near 7 or 8.  -_-

Sound Shapes death mode thingie was mostly about luck. Seriously, just try over and over until you make it.

Took me over four years to platinum this game. I tried it and hated it so traded it in. A few months back I got it on sale for £1 in a game store. Thought I would complete it since I'd already started it. Certainly not the worst game I've played though.

I had to clean up this thread for a 2nd time. His post was one of the removed ones.

Oh, now that explains it  :)

EDIT: Wow, being a Moderator is really awesome... Able to control Threads, how cool is that?!

Hmm, I haven't seen Parker for a while  :|

Edited by ee28max