Hacker Confirmed?

Floriiss

Hello PSNP!

So I was just checking the leaderboards and noticed some guy (kamakura19) obtained one of the hardest trophies in the game. At first I was surprised since I've had never heard from him before (He came straight out of the blue). Then I checked the in-game leaderboards to see if he was attempting Coda. His PB was Zone 4-1 already. This is two days after he got the all char low % trophy. Reaching zone 4-1 in just two days is really unlikely, unless he's a long-term Crypt of the NecroDancer player.

If he'd be a long-term NecroDancer player he'd be on the PC leaderboards (Just like aquacat), but nope not at all.

From this point on I was quite sceptical. And what do you do in such situation? Exactly, you start to investigate. I started to take a closer look at his trophy list and noticed something... really extraordinary.

First of all he unlocked both Aria trophies BEFORE Melody. Everyone knows that you first start with Cadence. If you complete her you'll unlock Melody. When Melody has been completed you'll unlock Aria. Now how is it possible that he completed Aria without even beating Melody? That's not possible since Aria is unlocked after completing Melody.

Secondly, same situation, he completed Bolt BEFORE Monk. That isn't possible? To unlock Bolt you first need to complete Monk. Yet he completed Bolt before monk. How?

The only possible explanation I could thinking of, was that he somehow played an all character run and played with those characters first? But the problem is that's not possible. To start an all character run you first need to unlock every character.

I don't know about you guys, but I find this very, very suspicious. It just doesn't make any sense at all. Please let me know what you guys think of this.

• Like 1

I was just talking about this to AkiraTheFox in a party earlier since it's on the UR League poll.

The only way I can think of this would be to delete the user profile while backing up data then using the data to unlock trophies, but I dunno why you'd want to do that, or if that's even possible.

I don't think he's "hacking", since who knows how you even do that with PS4 and a game like this. There are PC mods for the game, but I dunno how you could get the ps4 to recognize it. It is more likely that he is paying a Coda player to beat it for him. I think the entire Crypt of the Necrodancer community can agree that getting to zone 4-1 on your first day of practice with Coda is essentially impossible, even for the most skilled players. The timeline of earning his other trophies doesn't seem to be consistent with being especially talented at this game.

Not saying it's "impossible", but it's extremely suspicious. Only 12 PC players have beaten Coda. It's a testament to how much dedication and practice is required to pull it off (even with a high competency playing as other characters). It's hard to believe that this guy goes, "TEE HEE, I just got a lucky run and almost completed the hardest character in the game on my first day!"

According to this wiki 

http://crypt-of-the-necrodancer.wikia.com/wiki/Characters

It seems you only have to complete zone 4. So you can unlock Bolt by completing Zone 4 (by the stairs, presumably) with Monk. Although it is really strange to do that with Melody and Monk. 

I wish I was keeping closer track of the leaderboards. His Bolt speed run seems strange. I checked Bolt speedruns maybe 2-3 weeks ago and this guy wasn't even on the radar (not top 10). Unless he improved his Bolt run within the past 2-3 weeks. Even so, it's not enough to play that competently as Coda right off the bat. So somehow, in the last 2-3 weeks this guy goes from average player to a COTN God. I don't buy it, but he is probably buying that Coda trophy, which is seriously pathetic.

Edited by Beatmania2dxs

You can unlock characters through playing through the floors individually can you not? The character trophies are specifically for finish in "All Zones Mode", so unless that's a requirement for unlocking the character he could have got the character unlocks through individual level selection then done All Zones out of character unlock order. I do find it somewhat sus that he did Low Percent All Character for his first completion of it, but if he spent most of the time only trying to do that without finishing it normal first I could see it being possible. 

About him not being on leaderboards he could have been playing the game offline and not being showing up. 

Edited by ggamer15

Even so, you can't play as Coda until you complete the all characters run, which has a timestamp just 2 days ago. With sleep, etc, that's about a day of practice.

There's a reason the average time to beat Coda takes ~2 months of practice. This guy almost does it in a day? I don't believe it. The best Coda player in the world took 2 months to beat it for the first time.

You can unlock characters through playing through the floors individually can you not? The character trophies are specifically for finish in "All Zones Mode", so unless that's a requirement for unlocking the character he could have got the character unlocks through individual level selection then done All Zones out of character unlock order. I do find it somewhat sus that he did Low Percent All Character for his first completion of it, but if he spent most of the time only trying to do that without finishing it normal first I could see it being possible. 

About him not being on leaderboards he could have been playing the game offline and not being showing up. 

I personally don't have a problem with his Lowest of the Low. It's feasible he was practicing for months. But getting to zone 4-1 as Coda on his first day, no way.

Edited by Beatmania2dxs

Do you have to beat "All Zones Mode" with X character to unlock Y character or can you just unlock that from playing normally? 

Based on his/her list and a quick google search kamakura19 is decent fighting game player so maybe his/her reaction speed is good enough to beat the Coda levels that fast.

The only thing that seem weird to me is that he/she got the "Beatless Beatdown", "Polyamorous", and "Lowest of the Low" trophies at the same time. Now I know nothing about Crypt of the NecroDancer. so can you do a solo and a All character run at the same time?

As for the not being on the PC leaderboards, does the PC leaderboards track JP copies of the game? and if they do what if he/she has a different name on the PC leaderboards?

Edited by soultaker655

This topic had been discussed here before with Uncharted 4. A small number of nefarious players use a second account to play through the majority of the game, then load up their main account to auto-pop trophies. It looks like a speed-run, but it is not bc all the hours playing the game aren't reflected in the trophy time stamps. Check the Uncharted 4 100% club and look under Fastest Achievers for some of the most egregious accounts.

It's not really hacking, but is it cheating? Is it fair? Is it good sportsmanship?

• Like 1

Do you have to beat "All Zones Mode" with X character to unlock Y character or can you just unlock that from playing normally? 

Based on his/her list and a quick google search kamakura19 is decent fighting game player so maybe his/her reaction speed is good enough to beat the Coda levels that fast.

The only thing that seem weird to me is that he/she got the "Beatless Beatdown", "Polyamorous", and "Lowest of the Low" trophies at the same time. Now I know nothing about Crypt of the NecroDancer. so can you do a solo and a All character run at the same time?

As for the not being on the PC leaderboards, does the PC leaderboards track JP copies of the game? and if they do what if he/she has a different name on the PC leaderboards?

I used to be a top DDR/ITG player, so although reaction speed is important, it seems unlikely that you master something this complicated in one day. A week or two? Sure, I could believe it. A day? No one in this game on the PC has gotten to zone 4 that fast. There's RNG and things you cannot anticipate that make you lose your beat that takes some practice to train yourself. Playing as Coda is very different from Bolt as well. Bolt you basically drive through everything, there isn't a ton of strategy, and can pick up gold. The best Bolt player in the world only has gotten to zone 3-1 as Coda (just as a reference for reaction speed and to contrast that although the skill sets for Coda and Bolt do overlap, being excellent at one doesn't mean you're excellent at the other).

And if his reaction speed were that good, it's frankly surprisingly that he didn't complete any of the other trophies in a shorter timeframe. 

He earned Beatless Beatdown during his all characters run when he won with Bard. His all chars run was done as low% and the trophies will stack.

This topic had been discussed here before with Uncharted 4. A small number of nefarious players use a second account to play through the majority of the game, then load up their main account to auto-pop trophies. It looks like a speed-run, but it is not bc all the hours playing the game aren't reflected in the trophy time stamps. Check the Uncharted 4 100% club and look under Fastest Achievers for some of the most egregious accounts.

It's not really hacking, but is it cheating? Is it fair? Is it good sportsmanship?

What? How would beating a game on one account have any bearing on another account's trophies? 

It's not, they're pulling stuff out of their ass.

You don't use a second account but a second user. As I understand it you play the game offline and do not sync trophies. Back up save to a usb. Delete the user on your ps4. Make a new user on the ps4, reload the saves then sync

I don't know if this is how this guy did this but this method is cropping up more and more and as perrytoxteth says its been discussed at length in a thread on the Uncharted 4 boards

• Like 3

I don't know if this is how this guy did this but this method is cropping up more and more and as perrytoxteth says its been discussed at length in a thread on the Uncharted 4 boards

What the person did that UC4 that got talked about was set up a bunch of saves right before trophy pops, and deleted their profile without syncing the trophies so it wipes them. Then go along and pop all the trophies in a short period of times when you should have got previous ones already. 

This isn't something that would be possible with the above person in question for CotN specifically. 

What the person did that UC4 that got talked about was set up a bunch of saves right before trophy pops, and deleted their profile without syncing the trophies so it wipes them. Then go along and pop all the trophies in a short period of times when you should have got previous ones already. 

This isn't something that would be possible with the above person in question for CotN specifically.

There must be some different trickery at work then

There must be some different trickery at work then

The COTN wiki says that you can unlock other characters by completing just Zone 4 with the other characters (so there wouldn't be a trophy unlock). I don't think there isn't anything suspicious there, so long as that's true. It's unusual someone would do that, tbh. 

Lowest of the Low requires a different skill set than the plain all chars run with items and shrines. You kill enemies the same way you do as Coda. I mean, it looks like this guy worked on Lowest of the Low for months, so maybe that technique got drilled into his head to work on Coda. But Zone 4-1 in a single day of practice is unheard of. I got to zone 3-4 again today (next lvl is 4-1) but that's with 3-4 weeks of practice. There's much more to learn as the character when you combine all those elements with double speed. 

Edited by Beatmania2dxs

You can't hack trophies or games on PS4, and that's the end of it. 

If you're curious to how he has done it, send him a PM.

What about Vita? This game shares the trophy list for PS4 and Vita.

The COTN wiki says that you can unlock other characters by completing just Zone 4 with the other characters (so there wouldn't be a trophy unlock). I don't think there isn't anything suspicious there, so long as that's true. It's unusual someone would do that, tbh. 

Lowest of the Low requires a different skill set than the plain all chars run with items and shrines. You kill enemies the same way you do as Coda. I mean, it looks like this guy worked on Lowest of the Low for months, so maybe that technique got drilled into his head to work on Coda. But Zone 4-1 in a single day of practice is unheard of. I got to zone 3-4 again today (next lvl is 4-1) but that's with 3-4 weeks of practice. There's much more to learn as the character when you combine all those elements with double speed.

Agreed. Playing Coda is way different than an all character run. Most Coda clear players I've spoken to stated that it took them 2-3 months of practicing to beat Coda. He does it almost in one day for the first time? Ehh, right?

I haven't done Monk all zones but I do have Bolt all zones. I think this isn't any proof to call out that someone is a hacker. I can't speak for Coda but to me to looks like that if you can keep the beat, you are done for 66% of the learning. All the strategies for Coda are here and if you have luck with your build you can hit 4-1 with just that.

• Like 1

Vita can´t be hacked either, last time i heard

Ehm, wrong. Trophies were hackable up to a specific firmware (3.52 it was)? If you somehow manage to load the game on a Vita with that firmware, you can temper the local trophy info and unlock trophies. To sync them with the PSN, you still would have to upgrade the firmware or use other ways (proxies?).

Ehm, wrong. Trophies were hackable up to a specific firmware (3.52 it was)? If you somehow manage to load the game on a Vita with that firmware, you can temper the local trophy info and unlock trophies. To sync them with the PSN, you still would have to upgrade the firmware or use other ways (proxies?).

I never heard or saw anyone hacking trophies for Vita. You got confirmation for this?

I don't think he hacked any trophies here. The timeline seems reasonable and consistent for earning Lowest of the Low (what would have amounted to months of practice). Again, the COTND Wiki is really specific about the unlocks, saying you can unlock other characters just by completing zone 4.

The Coda thing is what doesn't make any sense here. Floriiss is right, the amount of time you need to spend to beat Coda is substantial. If we're being very generous, maybe the most skilled player in the world could feasibly get to Zone 4 within a week or two. But 1 day is, without a doubt, not possible for a player that has never touched the character before. It just doesn't make any sense at all. If you look at Spooty's current Coda streams, this guy dies constantly (granted, he is attempting low%) despite being the best Coda player in the world. In other words, even for the most experienced Coda players, Coda is difficult. Now take someone who supposedly never played the character before and...zone 4-1 on the first day? It's not a hack, since I doubt you can do that. I wouldn't doubt someone is doing it for him (Aquacat, who also lives in Japan and beat Coda with the controller?), for whatever reason (money). It happened with Super Meat Boy.

Edited by Beatmania2dxs

What about Vita? This game shares the trophy list for PS4 and Vita.

Agreed. Playing Coda is way different than an all character run. Most Coda clear players I've spoken to stated that it took them 2-3 months of practicing to beat Coda. He does it almost in one day for the first time? Ehh, right?

You can't hack trophies on Vita either. I think it's much more likely that there was some kind of glitch with the game or he did some kind of technique/exploit (which would not be cheating/hacking) that had the trophies pop like they did rather than him being the first person in the world to hack trophies on a PS4/Vita.

People accused me of cheating in Sine Mora because I 100%ed it in 11 minutes due to a trick I found that you could stack multiple rank requirements by not using your sub weapon, and my account was even flagged until I explained the process and provided proof (actual game time was obviously a lot higher, but it allowed me to have a quick 100% time for trophies). I just think it's best to ask first rather than throw around accusations, especially since Vita and PS4 games are unable to be hacked.  

Also, people are saying he isn't on the PC leaderboards, but how do you know? He could be using a different name or something. 

• Like 1