PS3 will die soon or will live long ?

Natsuu24

Hi guys! What you think about ps3 ?? Will stay "alive" for next years ?? Maybe 4/6 years ?? Or will die soon ?? I.m not talking about game releases, because this is already end, only Fifa, NBA, PES and maybe lego games will still launch. But for us, playstation players, will keep playing ?? Maybe sony will shutdown servers soon  ?? And about trophy sync, you think we will always can ??
Remember, PS2 support ends in 2012, and last games comes out for ps2 was FIFA 14 and PES 14

Good plays and stay alive guys! :)

It still is a very widely used console. There is no reason to abandon it in the near future

I don't play it because I can't even finish my PS4 games, but I like having it around.

I give it more 3/4 years, my friend

bmg_ps.png

do not worry, no sign of ps3 will going to die soon so far, as long as people are still buying stuff on it (mostly digital) and playing on it it will gonna stay supported.

there are people who's still using/watching Netflix, Youtube and Twitch on their ps3 too, if the server are shut they'll no longer gonna use those too.

until Sony shut down the PSN server for ps3 then that will be the time where everyone will say the ps3 is dead.

I'd say the PS3 will be around for a few more years (I think until 2020). The reasons were already mentioned, no need for me to write them again.

The problem with shutting down the server is that everyone who bought a game digitally will be screwed once that happens. I don't remember seeing anything in the terms of use (+ the laws of any country) that permits Sony to prevent us from downloading the games we bought, it might stay online for a lot longer than I predict.

As for me personally, I kinda want to clear out my entire PS3 backlog this year, but I won't make it, so I'll keep using the console at least until mid/late 2017.

Edited by viech54

I think PS3's PSN will stay up long, even after the amount of games slows to a trickle and the online for the games starts to die.

PSP stopped getting games (yeah, mostly Japan only) only after 2015 (scratch that, there is still some TBAs, like the Class of Heroes 3 and oh my the King's Field II is slated for the PSN rerelease) and the online for PS2 completely died only March 31, 2016. That's quite a magnificent run, hm?

They won't shut down the "PSN server for ps3" simply because PSN covers all four systems... :P (PSP/PS3/Vita/PS4)

Well, maybe it's meant more along the lines of what happened with PSP's PSN? Sony has removed PSN app from the console itself not so long ago, so the only way to transfer games is via PC or the PS3\PS4... Not that it mattered for me, as I own E-1000 model.

Edited by NetEntity

I think PS3's PSN will stay up long, even after the amount of games slows to a trickle and the online for the games starts to die.

PSP stopped getting games only after 2015 (yeah, mostly Japan only, but we even got some Western releases, and even this year!) and the online for PS2 completely died only March 31, 2016. That's quite a magnificent run, hm?

Well, maybe it's meant more along the lines of what happened with PSP's PSN? Sony has removed PSN app from the console itself not so long ago, so the only way to transfer games is via PC or the PS3\PS4... Not that it mattered for me, as I own E-1000 model.

Maybe in the future we will can download games for ps3 too by ps5/pc too ?? or PSN really cover all playstations ??

The PS3 will live long, I have no concerns over that.

Just had a thought, Sly could add an interesting statistic or graph:

Last day of each month scan all gamers tracked. Give a percentage of how many people were active that month (earned a trophy).

Then of the active percentage how many earned a trophy that month that was:

PS3, PS3/Vita, PS3/Vita/PS4 etc (all variations).

Run this month in month out and that will tell us just how many people are still using the PS3 / Vita etc over time

• Like 1

PSP stopped getting games (yeah, mostly Japan only) only after 2015 (scratch that, there is still some TBAs, like the Class of Heroes 3 and oh my the King's Field II is slated for the PSN rerelease) and the online for PS2 completely died only March 31, 2016. That's quite a magnificent run, hm?

Oh, not again. They did not remove PSN on PSP. They removed the Store. You can still access your stuff from the Download List.

ps: i didn't know PS2 completely shut down earlier this year. Does this mean Twisted Metal Black Online is completely unplayable now, even with XLink Kai? It was the only way to play it after it was shut down years ago.

Oh, not again. They did not remove PSN on PSP. They removed the Store. You can still access your stuff from the Download List.

ps: i didn't know PS2 completely shut down earlier this year. Does this mean Twisted Metal Black Online is completely unplayable now, even with XLink Kai? It was the only way to play it after it was shut down years ago.

Ah, thanks for clarifying.

I think it affects only the official servers, but I'm not completely sure.

Haven't used any workarounds like XLink myself as I'm not a fan of online play, but I'm aware that there are people still playing .hack\\fragment or early MonHuns on private servers or something like that. Most people use emulators for this now, but I remember reading a guide for fragment not so long ago that described the steps needed to run it on a real PS2. 

I have around 100 games to play (around 40 of them with online trophies) :awesome: so I hope it will stay at least 5 years up. Its likely that for now only individual games will go down.

Edited by ReimiSaionji9742
  • Like 2

Considering the number of games this generation that have online multiplayer, it will be awhile before Sony completely pulls out of the PS3. We will still see budget titles and probably PSN only PS3 games for awhile.

I think it will start with Sony's games though for online ending. LBP series is ending in Japan on July 31st, Resistance series ended in 2014, Gran Turismo 5 ended in 2015 I think, and I think Infamous 2 is next.

Edited by POEman553