PS3 will die soon or will live long ?

Natsuu24

I would assume that they still make a lot of money from selling PS3 games through PSN. They aren't going to shut down PS3 servers any time soon, especially with them constantly adding more games to PSnow.

Hi guys! What you think about ps3 ?? Will stay "alive" for next years ?? Maybe 4/6 years ?? Or will die soon ?? I.m not talking about game releases, because this is already end, only Fifa, NBA, PES and maybe lego games will still launch. But for us, playstation players, will keep playing ?? Maybe sony will shutdown servers soon  ?? And about trophy sync, you think we will always can ??

Remember, PS2 support ends in 2012, and last games comes out for ps2 was FIFA 14 and PES 14

Good plays and stay alive guys! :)

Is PSP dead since you can still buy all kinds of PSP games off the PSN store? 

We are no longer dealing with consoles that can "die" when their collections of games are readily available for purchase online 24 hours a day. Even when Sony ceases PS3 production (which will not likely be any time soon) the games will still be purchasable and likely playable online.

In previous generations, ie PS2, which the PS3 is incorrectly compared to in this compared to, games were required to be purchased completely physically. Sony depended on brick and mortar to keep their consoles fed with new *and old* games. PS3 started the same way, but after a decade has shifted and balanced digital sales with physical.

It's possible and probable from an economical and profit point-of-view to continue to sell PS3 consoles for *another* 10 years. I can only imagine how much the Cell processor die might be able to be shrunk down to now, alleviating the initial heat issues for 1st gen PS3s. IBM got the cell down to the 45nm process in 2009 for the super slim, but has stopped cell development since. If cell could have gotten down to the 22nm process like Intel has, it *might* have been possible to put a physical cell chip in a PS4 and have a backward compatible PS4, but it likely would have cost Sony more money then they'd ever make on it, considering there is such limited market for the cell processor, they are likely still one of the biggest purchasers from IBM.

If Sony was flush with cash, it would be awesome if they would pay IBM to shrink down the cell to 22nm, pack that bitch in an 8 inch 1080p portable with a dualshock built-in ala Wii U and sell a PS3 portable like the PSP-Go. Digital only. I wouldn't buy one because my PS3 library is physical-only, but I would find it awesome.

PS Now has ensured even when (eventually, not anytime in the next decade) Sony ceases production of the consoles, the PS3 is going to live on for years and years afterward.

I got myself PS3 in 2010. After few years of break with consoles (last one owned was PSX) I decided to give it a go cause I was staying over Easter on me own in shared house. To be honest I didn't played that much cos most of time I used it as blue ray player. Over two years ago my wife got me ps4 as anniversary present. Got back into gaming and to be honest I play a lot of PS3 games while I am waiting for prices to drop down on new ps4 games. God! How many PS3 games did I missed? I mean the good ones! Now I am super happy going to the shop and buying second hand hits such as Mafia 2, Uncharted or LA Noire for a 3 quid! That's why I think that console won't die that quick. It's got a lot too offer still and there is no chance that u played all great games on it anyway ;)

But I believe it all depends. I am 30 years old person who does not care about old generation graphics because i grew up on 8bit games. So keep calm and carry on gaming on PS3!

• Like 2

As long as Europe doesn't have PS Now... 

I started playing on the PS3 in 2014 january, so I have a shit ton of a backlog, including PS2 remasters since I never owned a PS1-2.

So yeah, I'm staying.

I'd recommend you getting the PSOne Spyro trilogy from PSNStore then. Or wait for the Crash Bandicoot remasters.

• 2 weeks later...

I got myself PS3 in 2010. After few years of break with consoles (last one owned was PSX) I decided to give it a go cause I was staying over Easter on me own in shared house. To be honest I didn't played that much cos most of time I used it as blue ray player. Over two years ago my wife got me ps4 as anniversary present. Got back into gaming and to be honest I play a lot of PS3 games while I am waiting for prices to drop down on new ps4 games. God! How many PS3 games did I missed? I mean the good ones! Now I am super happy going to the shop and buying second hand hits such as Mafia 2, Uncharted or LA Noire for a 3 quid! That's why I think that console won't die that quick. It's got a lot too offer still and there is no chance that u played all great games on it anyway ;)

But I believe it all depends. I am 30 years old person who does not care about old generation graphics because i grew up on 8bit games. So keep calm and carry on gaming on PS3!

You're absolutely right. There's too many classics on PS3 for it to die already, and PS3 sales are still surprisingly good across the globe, so as long as people keep buying, Sony will keep providing.

Also, your profile picture is gonna give me nightmares for years.  -_-

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Is PSP dead since you can still buy all kinds of PSP games off the PSN store? 

We are no longer dealing with consoles that can "die" when their collections of games are readily available for purchase online 24 hours a day. Even when Sony ceases PS3 production (which will not likely be any time soon) the games will still be purchasable and likely playable online.

In previous generations, ie PS2, which the PS3 is incorrectly compared to in this compared to, games were required to be purchased completely physically. Sony depended on brick and mortar to keep their consoles fed with new *and old* games. PS3 started the same way, but after a decade has shifted and balanced digital sales with physical.

It's possible and probable from an economical and profit point-of-view to continue to sell PS3 consoles for *another* 10 years. I can only imagine how much the Cell processor die might be able to be shrunk down to now, alleviating the initial heat issues for 1st gen PS3s. IBM got the cell down to the 45nm process in 2009 for the super slim, but has stopped cell development since. If cell could have gotten down to the 22nm process like Intel has, it *might* have been possible to put a physical cell chip in a PS4 and have a backward compatible PS4, but it likely would have cost Sony more money then they'd ever make on it, considering there is such limited market for the cell processor, they are likely still one of the biggest purchasers from IBM.

If Sony was flush with cash, it would be awesome if they would pay IBM to shrink down the cell to 22nm, pack that bitch in an 8 inch 1080p portable with a dualshock built-in ala Wii U and sell a PS3 portable like the PSP-Go. Digital only. I wouldn't buy one because my PS3 library is physical-only, but I would find it awesome.

PS Now has ensured even when (eventually, not anytime in the next decade) Sony ceases production of the consoles, the PS3 is going to live on for years and years afterward.

Huh? 

Sony is only looking toward the future.  Which is, as of now, PS4, PS4 NEO?, and PSVR.  The fact that PS3 games are available for download has no impact on that whatsoever.  Just because a game can be purchased digitally vs. physically has no bearing on whether a company will continue to support any past gen system.  The advent of digitally available content only ensures that said content will still be available.  The same, however, can be said about second hand online market places like ebay or amazon.  I can, at any given moment, pull out my NES and play a game i want if i purchase it via ebay, amazon, or wherever.  Nintendo also has eshop with hundreds of available titles.  That doesn't mean the SNES is still alive and well, it only means that certain titles for it are available.  Hell, if i wanted, i could buy bonks adventure on the NES and play it in a week:  https://www.amazon.com/Bonks-Adventure-Nintendo-NES-entertainment-system/dp/B00004SVNQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469840925&sr=8-1&keywords=bonks+adventure+nesalbeit at a hefty cost.  Sonys PSNOW is only an attempt to bridge the gap between PS3 and PS4 and to  whether or not it sustains is still up in the air.  My point being, just because we can still get games for a system, digitally or physically, does not impact the system longevity. The PS3, or PS2, or SNES, or whatever system from the past you like is only dead when you kill it.  but to sony... the PS3 is already dead.  

Edited by angelgrievous
  • Like 1

Huh? 

Sony is only looking toward the future.  Which is, as of now, PS4, PS4 NEO?, and PSVR.  The fact that PS3 games are available for download has no impact on that whatsoever.  Just because a game can be purchased digitally vs. physically has no bearing on whether a company will continue to support any past gen system.  The advent of digitally available content only ensures that said content will still be available.  The same, however, can be said about second hand online market places like ebay or amazon.  I can, at any given moment, pull out my NES and play a game i want if i purchase it via ebay, amazon, or wherever.  Nintendo also has eshop with hundreds of available titles.  That doesn't mean the SNES is still alive and well, it only means that certain titles for it are available.  Hell, if i wanted, i could buy bonks adventure on the NES and play it in a week:  https://www.amazon.com/Bonks-Adventure-Nintendo-NES-entertainment-system/dp/B00004SVNQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469840925&sr=8-1&keywords=bonks+adventure+nesalbeit at a hefty cost.  Sonys PSNOW is only an attempt to bridge the gap between PS3 and PS4 and to  whether or not it sustains is still up in the air.  My point being, just because we can still get games for a system, digitally or physically, does not impact the system longevity. The PS3, or PS2, or SNES, or whatever system from the past you like is only dead when you kill it.  but to sony... the PS3 is already dead.  

Huh?

Where the hell was I only talking about PS Now? Sony still keeps PS3 stocked in brick and mortar stores and makes millions off selling selling titles for it digitally. Not emulated, like all your irrelevant points. Sony *wants* to keep selling the PS3 for as long as possible. It's far from dead in Sonys eyes, and wont be for a long time.

Edited by DaivRules

Huh?

Where the hell was I only talking about PS Now? Sony still keeps PS3 stocked in brick and mortar stores and makes millions off selling selling titles for it digitally. Not emulated, like all your irrelevant points. Sony *wants* to keep selling the PS3 for as long as possible. It's far from dead in Sonys eyes, and wont be for a long time.

Okay, I mentioned ps now once, at the end of my reply so chill with that.  Also,  sony doesn't keep shit stocked in stores, said stores keeps ps3 stocked.  They buy, they shelf, it's up to them when they pull it.  For example, my local best buy had new ps3s in stock last week, now they don't.  Sony isn't up their ass like "hey, stock more ps3s dude".   as far as my "irrelevant points" are concerned, well they're not irrelevant.  LIke i said, doesn't matter if its emulated or not, of course they'll keep selling you the games.  they're digital, no fall back, get it?  put a game up digitally.  it's there forever.  doesn't mean ps3 is there forever.  just means the game is.  okay?

Not for me. I still have around 50 PS3 games i want to play.

And I have over 125 I still want to play. No way the PS3 will be "dying" soon. Games are still being made for it. And with PS+ still giving away games for free every month, there's momentum for the PS3 to continue on.

• Like 2

Okay, I mentioned ps now once, at the end of my reply so chill with that.  Also,  sony doesn't keep shit stocked in stores, said stores keeps ps3 stocked.  They buy, they shelf, it's up to them when they pull it.  For example, my local best buy had new ps3s in stock last week, now they don't.  Sony isn't up their ass like "hey, stock more ps3s dude".   as far as my "irrelevant points" are concerned, well they're not irrelevant.  LIke i said, doesn't matter if its emulated or not, of course they'll keep selling you the games.  they're digital, no fall back, get it?  put a game up digitally.  it's there forever.  doesn't mean ps3 is there forever.  just means the game is.  okay?

It's fine if you don't understand the vendor\retailer relationship that Sony has with retailers, but actually, Sony *is* up their ass like "hey, stock more ps3s dude." Sony themselves send in reps to make sure that systems are getting on shelves and not chilling in back or on order if they're out. Feel free to ask anyone else that works at a retailer that deals with the reps themselves. Or find someone high up the retailer decision making chain that will confirm that Sony dictates to the retailers that they must keep systems stocked to sell the rest of their stuff, which retailers want to because of the high margins. On top of that, they must sell PS3s if they want to sell PS4s.

You seem to be focusing on one aspect and not aware of what Sony is actively doing to maintain the lifespan of the PS3.

This is not meant as an insult, but have you lived in UK your entire life?

I love the PS3. I hope it sticks around for a long time, along with the vita. As of yet, I haven't played a lot of killer titles like I did on the PS3. VR may or may not have an impact on the PS3 and Vita, however I'm hoping that impact won't be large enough to kill either system. Regardless, I think I'll be a playstation guy for life. 

• Like 1

Our concerns are understandable, but fortunately Sony won't shutdown the servers, at least for another ten years, maybe more depending on the success of the console, after all their try to gain customers, not lose some more.

I remember though when I bought my ps3 late in its life  (september 2012) I ask the store clerk is it worth getting this late, he explain that the console lifespam always extends further that the companies expectations and that the ps3 will still remain in service for 5 years, that was 4 years ago now and its still being used.

I don't have any regrets buying my PS3, there's so many games that I was glad to try and hopefully more to come.

• Like 1

It's fine if you don't understand the vendor\retailer relationship that Sony has with retailers, but actually, Sony *is* up their ass like "hey, stock more ps3s dude." Sony themselves send in reps to make sure that systems are getting on shelves and not chilling in back or on order if they're out. Feel free to ask anyone else that works at a retailer that deals with the reps themselves. Or find someone high up the retailer decision making chain that will confirm that Sony dictates to the retailers that they must keep systems stocked to sell the rest of their stuff, which retailers want to because of the high margins. On top of that, they must sell PS3s if they want to sell PS4s.

You seem to be focusing on one aspect and not aware of what Sony is actively doing to maintain the lifespan of the PS3.

Did you really just say that Sony tells retailers to stock ps3 or they can't sell any other Sony branded products.  What?  I'm sorry, but i don't need to ask a freaking Best Buy manager to know that's the dumbest thing I've ever read,  

Did you really just say that Sony tells retailers to stock ps3 or they can't sell any other Sony branded products.  What?  I'm sorry, but i don't need to ask a freaking Best Buy manager to know that's the dumbest thing I've ever read,  

Yup. To sell PS4's, retailers must stock PS3s. Clearly you didn't know that. Goes to show that Sony is making sure the Sony isn't dead yet or any time soon.