PS3 will die soon or will live long ?

Natsuu24

to echo others' sentiments here, PS3 is not dying any time soon. games are still coming out for the PS3 and while most of the developers have moved on to PS4, there are still more than enough PS3 players online for still popular games like GTA IV to keep the support going.

if I was to give a time frame I would say 2020 at the absolute earliest.

I worry more about my PS3 breaking down than servers going down. Considering how much I still got to play 30-50 games left I would havve to buy another PS3. Because we all know fu#&ing PS4 has no backwards compatible.

I have a ps4 in the bedroom, I love being on the ps4, considering I was one of the people who said I would never purchase one.

However, in the other bedroom, my children play on the ps3 ( a lot) and i still buy them games and dlc on it.

In the living room is a brand new ps3, my wife plays her platform games on it when the kids have eventually gone to bed.

We also use that ps3 for Netflix , Nowtv (even though it's dreadful ) Youtube etc etc, so in our family , ps3 is still

a very important consule.

I rarely see new PS3 consoles for sale any more, and PS3 releases are getting less and less common.

But I don't see the console itself "dying" for several years to come. I personally still play it actively, I've amassed quite a large backlog for it so it still has plenty of life left in it for me at least.

I don't see the servers getting shut down until the PS3 is pretty much a barren wasteland on the online scene. I assume they'll still allow us to sync our trophies however, perhaps still upload our saves to the PS Plus cloud, and they'll most definitely still have the PSN Store up if nothing else.

Even the old Wii still has access to the eshop, even though online services have long since been shut down otherwise.

• 3 weeks later...

I still hear plenty ppl saying that they would buy a PS3 first if they have a choice between PS3 and PS4, since the PS4 just now seems to expand with a decent number of good games, though that still depends on player opinion. It's also still sold plenty on amazon and similar online stores, so it's in no way a dying console.

Ps3 is still moving along nicely, the last few games I've played right through have been ps3 and after I finish ps4's fc primal I'll be back for Sh Downpour. And because I play allot of COD I can say I rank at around 65,000 on cod ghosts PS4 and 1,000,000 on Ps3. Why? Because there's still allot more people playing cod on the ps3. It's still relevant and I'll still buy games on it as long as Sony supports it.

The benefit of PS3 Multiplayer is it's free.

It's still a great system, but whenever I play a bunch of games on the PS4 that all have superior graphics, controls and 'smoother' gameplay, it's a little difficult to go back to the PS3.

Maybe it's just the games I play on PS3, but I don't have that experience. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think a lot of the PSN will still be there for PS3. Some of the game servers will still be up in 5 to 10 years.

But I think Sony will end manufacturing the PS3 within the next year or so. You got to remember that Sony didn't pull the plug on SOCOM 2 until 2012, long after PS2 ceased production.

If Sony does anything drastic with PS3 and PSN, they will hear it from their players.

• 4 weeks later...

I think a lot of the PSN will still be there for PS3. Some of the game servers will still be up in 5 to 10 years.

But I think Sony will end manufacturing the PS3 within the next year or so. You got to remember that Sony didn't pull the plug on SOCOM 2 until 2012, long after PS2 ceased production.

If Sony does anything drastic with PS3 and PSN, they will hear it from their players.

Well, i remember the last game for ps2 was FIFA/PES 14, 2 years ago

It depends on what you mean exactly.  I only skimmed the responses and didn't see this mentioned, but PS3's PSN servers will likely never go down, meaning access to the PSN Store & Trophies will be accessible forever.  The reason is quite simple, the PSN network is not isolated to each system separately, everything is shared across the systems.  For example, I have access to the PSN Network on my mobile phone and it's not a Sony device.  So for the same reason, the PS3 won't have it's access shut off.  Now individual servers for specific games will likely be shut off as the PS4 grows in popularity, but we'll always have access to our downloads, trophies, friend lists, etc.  

I don't think it's worth Sony taking such a huge business risk like screwing everyone out of their PS3 download list. The only way they would be able to get rid of PSN for PS3 is if they turned the PS4 (or even PS5) into the all in one console, PS2 games still had fully functioning multiplayer until March 2016 when Sony got rid of DNAS, the authentication server that would allow people online for PS2 and the PS2 is a 16 year old console. They still put PS3 games on PS+ and in flash sales and release new DLC for PS3, the only thing that has really stopped is AAA games for PS3 which is understandable considering the PS4 has been available for nearly 3 years. I know for a fact that if Sony ever decides to shut down the PS3 console as an entirety without turning the PS4 into an all in one console then I will definitely refrain from purchasing any more Sony products. You can't screw people out of thousands of dollars worth of downloadable content and expect them to go silently.

Edited by Sergen
  • Like 1

The last game server for the PS2 just shut down not long ago.

For most this is the official death of the PS2.

But considering the PS2 been out for about 16 years, then imagine how long the PS3 will last.

They shut down all the network on PS2. But that wasn't PSN. Like B1rvine said, they cannot shut down PSN on a specific system.

The benefit of PS3 Multiplayer is it's free.

It's still a great system, but whenever I play a bunch of games on the PS4 that all have superior graphics, controls and 'smoother' gameplay, it's a little difficult to go back to the PS3.

I very much agree with you there, I find that the 4 is way smoother and makes going back to PS3 hard

As much as I love my ps3 and have sooooo much backlog to get through, I too am finding it harder to come back to it after a long session on ps4...

The graphics are one thing, and don't bother me much, but the fps jeez! Some games can seem so juttery! Now I understand why cod always insisted on the 60fps instead of higher level graphics (hope devs take up this philosophy for the ps4 pro ;) )

It does help to use a dualshock 4 where you can though, and now I plugged my ps3 into a smaller hd screen, these two things significantly upped my enjoyment!

But at the end of the day, it'll be sad to see this console go (whenever it does), so so many great titles and all at a few bucks now, like being a kid in willy wonka's chocolate factory :P

I think Ps3 will survive for a few more years, if you see, there are still some "inter-generational games" (games for Ps4 that also launch on Ps3) coming up like P5.

Are you forgetting the games that have already come that have been on PS3 and PS4 (and PSVita if they can swing it?)

Off the top of my head;

Child of Light

Digimon World Cyber Sleuth (Not PS3, but Vita)

Diablo 3 ROS.

Various Tales games.

MGS5

Shadow of Mordor

Bioshock

Borderlands

FFXIV

Destiny

Maybe a list of other games that are on both would be a good thing?