What is your favourite puzzle game?

Breakingthegreen

I was browsing the internets the other day and I noticed that Level-5 (Ni No Kuni developers) were talking about their next Professor Layton game and that's when I thought "Great, Professor Layton the Lost Future and the Azran Legacy are my puzzle games." story time over.

So what's your favourite puzzle game, including those brain-training games.

Edited by breakingthegreen

hmmm... Zero Escape series... but among the 3... would say Virtue's Last Reward... next to ZE series... would say Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Edited by JaM

• 2 weeks later...

Professor Layton, Catherine, Limbo (puzzle-platformer so it counts right?...right), Braid, I liked numblast when I played it but that was long time ago and portals of course.

Not played many, but probably Never Alone. Not the best gameplay, but the story, the small documentaries and the meaning behind the game (and DLC) were just awesome.

I have this game but still haven't had time to play it. Heard lot of good thought.

Interesting.  I have always considered series/games like Zero Escape, Hotel Dusk, Phoenix Wright, Portal, and Catherine to be adventure games with puzzle elements.  Sticking with that, I would probably pick Minesweeper as my favorite puzzle game. Expanding the definition, I would go with 999.

I was browsing the internets the other day and I noticed that Level-5 (Ni No Kuni developers) were talking about their next Professor Layton game and that's when I thought "Great, Professor Layton the Lost Future and the Azran Legacy are my puzzle games." story time over.

So what's your favourite puzzle game, including those brain-training games.

Isn't Professor Layton (graphic) adventure game? I guess they have some puzzles.

If I were to go for pure puzzle games with trophies:

Tennis in the Face

StarDrone

Hamilton's Great Adventure

4 Elements HD

Voodoo Dice

If you're more into the platformer puzzles:

Braid

Outland (I guess this one could count, even if it's metroidvania)

Knytt Underground

Thomas Was Alone

Shadow of the Colossus (though it has action elements too)

ICO

Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty

Unmechanical

RETSNOM

Isn't Professor Layton (graphic) adventure game? I guess they have some puzzles.

Professor Layton is a puzzle game primarily. Yes, you do explore areas, find hint coins, and there is an overarching story in every game (and they're all fantastic stories, in my opinion), it's really about the puzzles that characters constantly throw at you. The 3DS ones even have 350+ bonus puzzles that aren't in the base game.

I'd probably choose Layton too. If I had to choose a specific one... that's tough. Probably Lost Future, because that story was great. Puzzle wise I really enjoyed Miracle Mask's daily puzzles.