Best PS4 RPG?

sephiroth70001

For DA:I i just could not get over the tedious and frustrating power system. It made the whole game a pain to play for me. I wanted to get to the next story element though i had to grind out power doing boring quests. That mechanic ruined my whole experience. Which is sad because i really wanted to love the game with DA:O being one of my favorite RPGs.

Is Bloodborne really an RPG?

I mean, sure, you have a character with levelling, weapon upgrading, customisation, etc, but do you really role play

I'd have said that the Soulsborne games were more akin to Metroidvania games - distinct but interlocking locations, an emphasis on exploration and boss-fights, etc - with some RPG elements. 

They certainly aren't metroidvania, even though I see where you come from with that. They are pretty clear RPGs IMO, but it's more in the dungeon crawler genre part of it, which is much clearer to see with FROM's earlier games and evolution of the gameplay in the games. In fact, it's a pretty straight evolution from some of the very first types of RPGs. I'd say hack n slash dungeon crawler RPGs. :P Some say action RPG, but that doesn't really describe the game all that well IMO.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

They certainly aren't metroidvania, even though I see where you come from with that. They are pretty clear RPGs IMO, but it's more in the dungeon crawler genre part of it, which is much clearer to see with FROM's earlier games and evolution of the gameplay in the games. In fact, it's a pretty straight evolution from some of the very first types of RPGs. I'd say hack n slash dungeon crawler RPGs. :P Some say action RPG, but that doesn't really describe the game all that well IMO.

To me, an RPG needs to have a bit more of an element of you taking on a character. Take Mass Effect for example; there you are Commander Shepard, and you play through the games making decisions and reacting to characters. Or in the Witcher 3, where you are not even creating a character so much as you are controlling one who's lore, personality and relationships are already somewhat established in the world. 

The Souldborne games lack this crucial element of role play, which makes them less RPG than action IMO. 

Heck, I'd even consider the Tell Tale games to be more akin to RPG's than Soulsborne games, given that you're playing an established character or role reacting to the story. 

Maybe it's an example of the legacy taxonomy failing us? Is Mirror's Edge a platformer, or an FPS without shooting? Maybe we need to revise the lexicon... or drop it entirely. 

• Like 1

To me, an RPG needs to have a bit more of an element of you taking on a character. Take Mass Effect for example; there you are Commander Shepard, and you play through the games making decisions and reacting to characters. Or in the Witcher 3, where you are not even creating a character so much as you are controlling one who's lore, personality and relationships are already somewhat established in the world. 

The Souldborne games lack this crucial element of role play, which makes them less RPG than action IMO. 

Heck, I'd even consider the Tell Tale games to be more akin to RPG's than Soulsborne games, given that you're playing an established character or role reacting to the story. 

Maybe it's an example of the legacy taxonomy failing us? Is Mirror's Edge a platformer, or an FPS without shooting? Maybe we need to revise the lexicon... or drop it entirely. 

What you describe here really isn't that big of a part of the RPG genre, but I don't get how you say this isn't found in the Souls games??? :S

You also seem to want to mix the genre up with the adventure and graphic adventure genre.

Mirror's Edge is a first person 3D platformer.

Portal is a first person 3D puzzle platformer.

As I said earlier, the Souls games, Bloodborne and King's Field included, is hack n slash dungeon crawler RPG, rooting directly back to a specific part of early RPGs. Though, a couple of the King's Field games for PSP is not hack n slash, but rather straight old school dungeon crawler RPG. KF is first person too, while the Souls and Bloodborne games are third person.

Is Wizardry RPG?

Oh, and just for the heck of it (looked after I made the previous part of this post):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeon_crawl

Last line on the page:

"Other series related to the traditional dungeon crawl are The Elder ScrollsKing's FieldDemon's Souls and Dark Souls."

Funny how they specifically mentioned KF and the Souls games, eh?

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

Star Ocean is PS4 exclusive in the US.  

Which makes it irrelevant as an exclusive =D

Final Fantasy Type 0 is also PS4 exclusive since the PSP version was never localized, but that should not make it exclusive =D

Well there's Fat Princess Adventures and Omega Quintet too I guess...

Well, Omega Quintet is more like idol simulator and FPA... yea... I guess =D