Best PS4 RPG?

sephiroth70001

The Witcher 3 really grew on me as I played Hearts of Stone. I loved the game before playing it, but somehow the world and its atmosphere needed the great story of Olgierd von Everec for me to fully succumb it. Now I want to replay the whole game to see it through my new lenses. I'm not sure what it was, but there was something about the atmosphere that wasn't completely compatible with me until HoS. Ask me again in a few months, however, and I will likely tell you that Skyrim is my favourite RPG for the PS4.  ^_^ ,

OK. i suppose you're free to think whatever you want in regards to roleplaying. But this would rule out some pretty classic RPGs (AD&D for example).

Actually I think what he wrote pretty much encapsulates everything that AD&D was designed to be. I have played pen'n'paper D&D from the Red Box and while, at least in the beginning, there seemed unlimited freedom, later editions introduced complex worlds with rules, restrictions and laws. What the poster describes with their relationship with Geralt in the Witcher is exactly the point of every character ever created in AD&D, otherwise every AD&D character created would be the same, no matter what stats you rolled or what race you picked or class you chose; it would just be you with a new set of numbers. You are supposed to divest yourself from what you want and consider what your character, with whatever background you've designed for them, would do.

Besides, the core system of AD&D pretty much defines what the RPG is. It is the yard stick against which all RPG is measured. I haven't played The Witcher yet, though I own both 1 and 2 on GoG, so I don't want to get into the debate w.r.t. defining it, I just wanted to say that what the poster said doesn't rule out AD&D at all. Quite the opposite.

Now, there most surely is a greater argument here in terms of classification and sub-classification as games, much like life, are subject to evolution. Games evolve, incorporating ideas and systems from other games. Borderlands famously marketed itself as the game where the FPS and the RPG had a baby and I would argue that it is, by definition, perfectly qualified to call itself an FPSRPG, if not the first.

But things just get messier from here. Traditional RPG is a party based affair, which is why early Isometric RPGs had you chose or control a party of 4-6; one PC and the rest NPCs. The NPCs were always there as plot devices, but conveniently supplemented your group with alternative skills. I understand the Witcher not only eliminates the party, but restricts your choice of character to one: Geralt. The Elder Scrolls series also eliminated party play, but at its core held that traditional premise of character progression, but let you choose your beginning race and class, so is more akin to traditional RPG than The Witcher, though I would be hesitant to call Elder Scrolls an FPSRPG because it doesn't involve guns. Planescape Torment removed the initial experience of character creation, while retaining party-based, isometric play. Is this RPG? Arguably, yes. It was created on the same engine as Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale.

Are games created on the same engine as previous titles automatically consigned to the genre the original game was based upon? Initial opinion, at least from a decade ago, would seem this would be the case. These days however, how many games are powered by Havok or Unreal Engine that aren't Half-Life or Unreal Tournament? Is Fallout 4 an FPS or an RPG? It's nothing like Borderlands, but does it classify as an FPSRPG? Destiny lets you choose between 3 classes and 3 races and, more or less, has 3 story "paths" relating to them. You can customise your appearance. You level up and acquire gear. You are online with other players. You can have a team or play solo. There are "raids". Is it an RPG? I would think not. Would I call it an FPSRPG? Also, no; options are too limited. Would I call it an MMOFPS or MMORPG? No; the MMO component is lacking.

The Diablo series created a fork of RPG that removed the complexity of character design, turn-based (or at least the ability to pause and issue direction) gameplay and dialogue options that affected storyline outcomes and gave birth to the ARPG. You were still role-playing, just with pre-rolled/defined characters. This was a clear break from traditional RPG because, while you did level up, there was no ability to personalise your new-found power. I would say Diablo sets the yards stick for ARPG.

Then we have traditional JRPG where, traditional party-based RPG switches between story/exploration and combat modes.

Battlefield and CoD games have a levelling system and different classes, but the levels themselves do not provide additional power or choice; rather the ability to access higher tiered gear. While you are "taking the role" of these toons during gameplay, we could agree these aren't RPGs. Many other games allow you to level up but you wouldn't call them RPGs.

With the massive diversification of games these days, maybe we do need to move towards a #tag based system of classification?

#rpg #fp #fps #isometric #fantasy #sci-fi #party #solo #action #j #mmo?

• Like 1

It's not about the level of control. In some ways, I'd say having more freedom in a game diminishes your capacity to role play. If there's no particular role for you to fulfill, how are you role-playing? Role-playing for me means stepping into the shoes of a character, rather than making a character my own. 

Take The Witcher 3 (again) for example. There, I'm not thinking of the decisions as being solely mine. I'm conceiving of myself-as-Geralt when I weigh up decisions, not just thinking about what I want to do, but about what Geralt would want to do. There are things at stake for Geralt and the other characters when I play that game.

Whereas in a game like the Soulsborne games, I think of the character as being my-character, and feel a greater sense of authorship over my actions. That's not playing a role, IMO, that's getting closer to pure self expression. Picking to kill an NPC because they will drop that sweet sweet sword I want so bad is a much easier decision in Soulsborne because I only have to worry about my build. In The Witcher 3, I have to put myself in Geralt's shoes, questioning whether Geralt trusts this NPC or not, thinking about what Geralt would want. That's role play. 

When you create your own character, no one tells you to play yourself. You're free to be whoever you want and restrict yourself to a role with a background you create. With the Witcher, sure you can think about what Geralt would want to do, but the decision you make isn't always what the real (book) Geralt would choose to do, so it gets murky. I think you can roleplay with both types of games, but the option to create your own character gives you endless roleplaying possibilities. 

Anyway, my favorite RPG so far would be The Witcher 3.

• Like 1

Mega Nep V-II

-time travels to the future-

oh, now its persona 5

-goes farther into the future-

Trails of cold steel 3 now.

This guy freaking knows! :D

But... I'm not that hopeful about Sen 3... if Falcom decided to prolong Sen to 3 main (if Sen 3 IS a main) installments, I'm a bit worried they may purposely omit some important facts to hype eventual Sen 4. 

Edited by Satoshi Ookami

• 2 weeks later...

Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

It's long though. Really long.

Witcher 3 all day every day. My favourite game of all time.

As much as I loved Bloodborne, gonna have to go with Witcher 3

First post wins, and is strengthened by a number of posts. My vote, currently, goes to The Witcher 3. I have it on PS4, XB1, and PC lol. I only paid for the PS4 copy though. The XB1 version is terrible. PC is the best.

• 1 month later...

What do you guys think is the best RPG on PS4?

Off topic, is Catherine any good? 

Final Fantasy Type-0.

I've started it, for like 1 hour,, Still need to go back to that... Gonna restart lol, I have no clue what it was about =( 

Disgaea 5  :lol:

I still have to play some other of the series.. But part 5 is really good?

any good? 

this is a bit tough between Witcher 3, Star Ocean, Final Fantasy Type-0. However as i consider Witcher and Adventure with RPG elements and Type-0 is a PSP convert i would say Star Ocean so far. However i am hoping that Tales of Berseria will be better. And i have Sword Art in about 2 weeks.

I'm glad to hear it. I haven't heard anything from players, but that game looked interesting.

that is on my gamefly to try out, looks interesting.