Best PS4 RPG?

sephiroth70001

Yes, I really enjoyed the game! It's fun and addicting, also the story is darker compared to other Disgaea games but it still has good comedy. 

Do you have to play other parts first to really get / understand the new one? ( I bought the games from 3) when I played the demo I thought about getting more, and then there was a discount on psn lol 

Do you have to play other parts first to really get / understand the new one? ( I bought the games from 3) when I played the demo I thought about getting more, and then there was a discount on psn lol 

I doubt it. It's certainly never been that way in the past (the only real interaction between titles were optional boss fights/party characters at the end).

• 4 weeks later...

The Banner Saga 1 and 2 if you're looking for a tighter experience.

I wouldn't really class The Banner Saga as an RPG. You don't take the "Role" of anyone nor create a character. While there are some elements of RPG like levelling up characters and assigning skill points, it's predominantly a Strategy game.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Depends on your tastes. Rpg is a very big Category. 

Child of light is a great 15-20 jours rpg. Story and art style are really good. Navigation is like a 2d plateformes. And the fights are an adaptation of old school rpg.

Banner saga is a Choice based SRPG and darkest Dungeons is more in the Dungeons crawler caregory but in 2d. both are also very good with an original story and gameplay.

Disgaea (gridbase SRPG with high replay value) and Valkiria Chronicles (odd mix of rpg Strategy and fps game), Dark souls 3 (action rpg ) are higher budget choices. 

Dragon age 3 is also very good but i feel its a game that is more enjoyable if you you played the previous titles.

1 hour ago, Karol_Perec said:

I don't understand why so many people are typing Bloodborne. It's great game but has nothing to do with RPGs.

It's less an RPG than Dark Souls is, but it's definitely still an action-RPG. To me, RPG's are defined by noticeable customizability and a significant leveling system. Most other elements in RPG's are optional. According to Wikipedia, in RPG's "the player controls the actions of a character (and/or several party members) immersed in some well-defined world. Many role-playing video games have origins in pen-and-paper role-playing games (Including Dungeons & Dragons) and use much of the same terminologysettings and game mechanics. Other major similarities with pen-and-paper games include developed story-telling and narrative elements, player character development, complexity, as well as replayability and immersion."  How could you not consider it an RPG? 

12 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

If Bloodborne isn't RPG (it's JRPG btw :awesome:), what is it?

It's just action adventure. I'll give you an example.

Far cry 4 is an open world action adventure first person shooter with much more RPGs elements than Bloodborne, but you're not calling it RPG right?

The same situation with every sandbox game. They have only RPGs elements included but they are NOT RPGs.

Besides mainstream Rpg's like the Witcher 3, skyrim and Fallout. I would definitely recommend Divinity original sin and Wasteland 2, both are criminally underknown but awesome rpg's with over a 100 hours of gameplay 

In the case of Bloodborne and Dark Souls. Those are more action/adventure than true Rpg's. Rpg's are characterised by their open ended and customisable gameplay experience. Just because you're able to equip your character with all kinds of different gear does'nt change that you complete a certain traject of areas and bosses that has already been set out for you. If Dark Souls is an Rpg then that would mean games like Dead Island, Far cry and Dying Light are rpg's

7 hours ago, Karol_Perec said:

It's just action adventure. I'll give you an example.

Far cry 4 is an open world action adventure first person shooter with much more RPGs elements than Bloodborne, but you're not calling it RPG right?

The same situation with every sandbox game. They have only RPGs elements included but they are NOT RPGs.

Mainly action but still RPG :) Far Cry is at its core FPS, that's why no one would consider it RPG despite having RPG elements.

BB is at its core still an RPG :)

Edited by Satoshi Ookami

1 hour ago, PLEXTOR08 said:

In the case of Bloodborne and Dark Souls. Those are more action/adventure than true Rpg's. Rpg's are characterised by their open ended and customisable gameplay experience. Just because you're able to equip your character with all kinds of different gear does'nt change that you complete a certain traject of areas and bosses that has already been set out for you. If Dark Souls is an Rpg then that would mean games like Dead Island, Far cry and Dying Light are rpg's

In the Dark Souls series, you can often choose the order in which you fight bosses, and you can skip some by taking alternate routes. These alternate routes are everywhere, most of the time you can take different paths that lead  to different places, even if it's a bit too linear to linear to be called open world. Gameplay is extremely customizable, since you have to invest heavily in certain stats to be able to specialize in Faith, Pyromancy, Sorceries, Dexterity or Strength, all of which play very differently. And each weapon/spell within each class also plays differently from the others, adding in another layer of customizability. You can find these weapons in the world, or earn them by meeting certain requirements.Then there are the armour sets, all of which focus on different stats that you want to prioritize (thus changing gameplay based on your speed and resistances), but there's also the option to mix-and-match to create a unique character. Add in the fact that you constantly level up and this level up is statistically necessary (except for highly skilled players of course) to progress. These statistical advances give rise to the practice of grinding, something basically only found in RPG's. And while the story is not as customizable as some other RPG's, you still have a choice to be an evil or a good character, there are alternate endings AND your chosen covenant determines what your main online activity is going to be. The world is narratively immersive and there's a deep lore to be found at one's own pace. You have consumable items that temporarily enhance certain stats, another RPG staple. Though they are not thrown in your face with a Quest marker, there are Side Quests that practically always pertain to gaining affinity with NPC's. There's the fact that the game is divided up constantly by lead-ups to the boss area and the boss fights, boss fights being a very consistent mark of RPG's (many action-adventures have no such thing, or only have about two bosses in the game). Bloodborne has most of these elements, although some to a lesser degree than DS. I'll admit something Dark Souls lacks is superbosses and post-game content, which are prevalent in RPG's. Bloodborne does have these, however (Chalice Dungeons).

And, I can't for the life of me see the Soulsborne franchise as action-adventure. Action-adventure is characterised by the presence of four things: cinematic story, platforming gameplay, combat gameplay (can be either shooting or hack-and-slash) and puzzle gameplay. The story in Soulsborne is definitely present, but most certainly not cinematic; you, the player have to look for it. There is hardly platforming in Soulsborne. Now and again you need to make a jump to get to an item, but that's it. You never have to jump or climb or hang by anything to progress the story, and it's the furthest thing from a fundamental part of the games. The combat gameplay is there, and is central to Soulsborne, of course. However, as stated, there's alot more variety and choice involved here than in most action-adventures. In action-adventures, melee combat is often combo-based and in ranged combat, you can choose from a small number of different guns. Then, puzzles: there are none in Soulsborne. There are parts that are obscure, but never flat-out puzzles. The environment can be a maze, but that's not a puzzle and more a test of your positioning skills. So, I fail to associate Soulsborne with the action-adventure genre at all. 

Soulsborne isn't an RPG series period. But is definitely an action-RPG series in my opinion. What action-RPG fundamentals does it lack? If Soulsborne aren't action-RPG's in your opinion, how is anything? How are The Witcher, The Elder Scrolls, Borderlands, Fallout, Final Fantasy XV, Mass Effect, Dragon Age action-RPG's if Soulsborne isn't? 

Edited by QuentinCle95