Is this that bad?

Hi all

I saw this game in CEX earlie and I loved the look of it but because I'm not able to watch videos of gameplay online I've had to read rather mixed reviews or player opinions that don't really touch on what they didn't like about the game. I should note that I can only play single player too, which gets a bad name but nobody says why besides it being "a little repetitive".

I wondered if anybody could tell me if it's fun but what bad things it has and if any trophies require online mode? I haven't found anything of use elsewhere online.

Edited by GarryKE

Hi all

I saw this game in CEX earlie and I loved the look of it but because I'm not able to watch videos of gameplay online I've had to read rather mixed reviews or player opinions that don't really touch on what they didn't like about the game.

I wondered if anybody could tell me if it's fun but what bad things it has and if any trophies require online mode? I haven't found anything of use elsewhere online.

The only thing that's annoying about the game is the Strength of Our Alliance trophy where you have to slay a single enemy with 2 other players as it requires pretty exact timing. That's the only online trophy for the game too.

Overall the game is a lot of fun and I'd definitely recommend checking it out.

Oh and the Dwarf (Farin) FTW!  :lol:

Edited by BooneIronshield

The game is enjoyable, especially because I played as the mage with a melee weapon, so she had magic and melee. But the Strength of Our Alliance is a horrible and very buggy trophy. Using melee attacks with all 3 classes and doing a finisher at the same time was how I unlocked it.

Hi all

I saw this game in CEX earlie and I loved the look of it but because I'm not able to watch videos of gameplay online I've had to read rather mixed reviews or player opinions that don't really touch on what they didn't like about the game. I should note that I can only play single player too, which gets a bad name but nobody says why besides it being "a little repetitive".

If you are a completionist then you will have to pass as strength of our alliance is an online only trophy. If not I say go for it. Despite it not being particularly ground breaking its a fun romp through Tolkiens world which we haven't had too many opportunities to partake in. You bump into a few familiar characters, you kill a few 1000 orcs what more can you want? You need to play the game 3 times for the plat so I suppose the game might get a tad repetitive but personally I didn't feel that way. I played with my GF so I can't comment on difficulty playing solo but our AI farin did a pretty good job of not dying too much and most importantly reviving us when needed. I got it when it was 'free' on plus and I definitely felt like I got my money's worth that month. I say go for it

They might be saying it's repetitive because you have to do at least three playthroughs for the plat, but with the right set up and being aware of the bugs you can get through the last two pretty quickly. It's actually a really fun game and great local co-op.

Brill, thanks all for the replies. I'll walk on back to CEX and pick it up :)

It does look rather good and I love a good, old fashioned fantasy. I am not sure if it's the sound of the game or the look of the female mage on the case that's making it so appealing though...

As for the repetition, I'm happy for multiple playthroughs, I spend enough hours on Bioware games to be used to that lol

Edited by GarryKE

I really enjoyed the game. I myself passed it up several times because of what I had heard review wise(even when it was on a PSN sale for $2) but a few years later it went on sale and I said what the heck. Great decision. Like others siad only one online trophy that isn't that hard or anything (but needs coordination and actually finding 2 people)

I loved this game, so much so that I completed all 3 difficulties in 2 days and platted it too. Played it all solo, great game in my opinion. Personally, after I finished it I was looking for more "clones" to play and more LotR games, unfortunately there weren't any to my knowledge :(

Apparently some others have run into progression bugs, but nothing like that for me :dunno:

Edited by LetsTurnJu-On

Besides the Strength of Our Alliance trophy, which is a humongous pain in the ass, as others have said.. The game can glitch on you. I couldn't progress, on my 2nd playthrough, and had to play more of it online than I had anticipated. Somehow, playing through the level in co-op will fix it, but there weren't a lot of sessions. I had to replay quite a few missions with 2 different random groups, to finally make it far enough and fix my single player game. 

A fun, enjoyable game but it suffered from really, really bad glitches. My co-op partner (my twin brother) had all his progress stop saving when we played together. There were lots of issues like this and eventually they appeared to work on the problem. However, when we applied the suggested fix, the saves became unplayable (whether trying to load them offline or online). That's when I decided to take a break which still hasn't ended :P

Just to be certain, I see that the Strength in our Alliance trophy says online only, so it cannot be done in split screen or LAN?

LAN might work, split screen won't as split screen is limited to 2 players. You can get the necessary notification signifying a 3 player kill with the AI but it will not unlock the trophy. It has to be another 2 players

• Like 1

i found this game pretty fun and enjoyed the online co-op aspect of it...for strength of our alliance had it randomly ding in a session with only 2 players...just a heads up that it does need to be done online...also be aware that the game suffers from progress breaking glitches... i ended getting stuck at this part with a big spider (i think in chapter 5) that was missing a prompt to talk to an eagle....had to find an online game with less progression and repeat that chapter to pass this glitch...i also noticed that some of the armor and weapons disappeared upon loading up the game...just a heads up as there are many reported glitches like this...it is recommended to load up your game then quit to the menu then load up again to bypass them...it worked like a charm for me as i had no problems after doing this every time i started up the game...also don't know if being online affects them or not as i only ever played online...had randoms coming and going the whole time...

Be aware of glitches. My story progression got halted in Mirkwood so I had to restart a new game. Then, My story got stuck again in Nordinblad. The game auto-saves so you can't pull up a save before those chapters and try again. Once it glitches, you are F'd.

But, it is a fun game and if you're out to have fun and not care if you plat it or not, go for it.