Anyone else enjoying this game?

Fr33d_DARkN3ss

i'm not that far into it, but at least i don't dislike it yet ;)

i basically just gave this a chance, because i really liked bound by flame (same dev), which also got a lot of hate or at least very mixed critics.

the combat seems really similar and even the trophies remind me of bound by flame.

the latest patch fixed a "item duplication exploit", which means the unpatched version could be beneficial for the "hardest difficulty" trophy. 

the combat is a little bit difficult in the beginning, especially when you think you can just button mash to victory :P

btw, i guess i will mainly play rogue (also like in bound by flame), with a little bit of "magic" from the technomancer tree here and there.

what did you guys choose? any build tips so far?

Not that far in, still on chapter 1, doing side quests and trying to get the hang of the mix of karma and faction point system happening.

Going more for the experience than trophies at this point. Interested to see how choices u make affect the outcome.

But u read the trophy list, seems u can romance a dude? :')

Going with a technomancer/guardian build with some traps if I can predict/assume the path the enemies will take. Will probably switch it up depending on the situation but tbh that shield is a life saver until I get the hang of the mechanics.

@dernop I dunno if u found it though but there is a pretty good pistol in the locker room of the quartermaster (behind the locked gate that's behind him)

• 2 months later...

Got this game yesterday for a bargain at £10 used. I really liked the look of this game before it's launch but then the reviews came in and it put me off a little.

Now having played it for several hours I'm really enjoying it, it's addictive like a good rpg and I think it's lack of polish in some areas make it feel original, oddly.

Personally I think people who like the look of it shouldn't be put off by the reviews and give it a try.

As for my game I'm playing mostly as warrior (staff) because most fights includes multiple enemies and for bosses and lone enemies I've been using the guardian.

Edited by ANTIOX_

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

I'm enjoying it for the $4 I spent on it lol.

It's not too awful for so cheap. I'm enjoying some aspects more than others.

Pros:

- The environments are pretty cool.

- The companion system and communication systems are cool too. Although, I think I've pissed every person off so far lol.

- The staff/technomancer moves are extremely cool. The tornado move being one that you get semi-early if you focus on the Warrior skill at the start. 

- Some of the creature designs are unique and made me say "woah, what the hell is that thing..".

Some cons so far:

-  The bigger map is terrible. I've had to resort to using the minimap to figure out which way to go towards markers (when they do show up, see point 3 lol.).

- As much as the communication system is cool, the awful voice acting is not. But can be ignored and skipped if you are like me and could careless about the storyline.

- I will say I've run into some close to game-breaking quest bugs. One being in the tutorial which I rolled my eyes at. The marker would not change no matter what I did. Had to close the game and it eventually changed when I was nowhere near the marker. I also had markers not even show up after being given a new task.

I'm sure I'll run into other things as  I play but It's a solid 5-6/10 game. And definitely is worth $5 or less for sure. Just don't walk into it expecting perfection (which I never do these days anyway... even with big AAA titles.)

Edited by Dangisuckatgamin

• 2 weeks later...

I'm enjoying the game a fair bit. it's a bit like dragon age meets dark souls, or even FF7 Remake. only downside is you can't add trash items to a junk folder, or control team mates or build their skills or anything, a bit more closed in like the mass effect sequels, so far I've just skipped the story since it seems very drawn out and edgy but it's not too bad. it is hard though since if your on a 1 run you got no talents for the first chapter, but when you get using them game is easier.

best part though is undoubtedly the combat, it flows perfectly from move to move and feels very elegant, never awkward which animation wise is quite an achievement and when you get in the zone you singlehandedly trash whole rooms in complete style.

Edited by MatThaRiPP3R84
  • Like 1

On 11/26/2020 at 9:01 PM, Dangisuckatgamin said:

Some cons so far:

-  The bigger map is terrible. I've had to resort to using the minimap to figure out which way to go towards markers (when they do show up, see point 3 lol.).

Okay so I’ve gotten used to the map and it really no longer bothers me. Even the larger map.

Still think it’s a decent game so far. I have gotten stuck in corners of areas (usually behind debris ) and was killed because I couldn’t move or swing my weapon. But thankfully the game does save pretty decently and I wasn’t too far from the fight.

• 1 year later...
On 8.8.2022 at 6:32 PM, starcrunch061 said:

1.5 years after last post, but I enjoy this game. It has so many stupid things, it’s combat is a bit of a joke, and the quests require too much running, but (at least through chapter 1), it’s greater than the sum of its parts.

Does the last of us have too much running for you as well? Or other similar games? ?

I like this game

• 1 month later...
On 8/12/2022 at 4:48 PM, lostforever77 said:

Does the last of us have too much running for you as well? Or other similar games? ?

When people put that smiley in their post, inevitably, I have no idea what their post means. What in the world does “The Last of Us” or “other similar games” have to do with The Technomancer? 

I’m not trying to be rude (that will come in a moment, though). I have no idea what point you’re trying to convey.

On 8/12/2022 at 4:48 PM, lostforever77 said:

I like this game

Are you on a 10-year plan to complete it? 

On 14.9.2022 at 2:44 AM, starcrunch061 said:

When people put that smiley in their post, inevitably, I have no idea what their post means. What in the world does “The Last of Us” or “other similar games” have to do with The Technomancer? 

I’m not trying to be rude (that will come in a moment, though). I have no idea what point you’re trying to convey.

Are you on a 10-year plan to complete it? 

Everything, because you run around in them too, you run in almost every story game. Even those YOU wouldn't call walking simulators. Don't play them if you don't like it

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Just platinumed this one today. Decided to check it out since it's free for PS Extra.

One of my biggest gripes with the game was the inability to just fast travel easily to Ophir and the Slums. It became a bit tedious and quite repetitive to keep running the same long path defeating the same set of enemies over and over again sometimes just to have a single line of conversation lol.

Not being able to Respec was another one. It would have been fun to mix & match and try various combat styles as with a lack of NG+, personally I didn't see any replay value after I finished it.  I went for a full Rogue and Technomancy build.

The combat system was fun even though it was a bit clunky at times. The most annoying part is when you get stuck in almost every thing while trying to dodge (specially if you are a Rogue build) and the lock on system only makes it worse (needed a higher FOV). But not being able to just button mash and having to patiently strategize and move between enemies was refreshing. The weird input queuing bugged me a bit initially but got used to it after a few fights (and a lot of deaths on Extreme!). It definitely could have used some more weapon variation and upgrade options but overall it's not too bad. 

The story and characters though were really very bland and after Chapter 2, I really didn't care much about it. Overall it's quite a decent game if you go in without high expectations. The game had a lot of potential but falls well short of what it could have accomplished and like most games with Spiders, most aspects of the game had decent basics but then half baked with the evolution. It did have it's moments and worth playing it once if you can get it for cheap or for free. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

This is the RPG of Spiders that I liked the less (i like it nonetheless). The story could be interesting but in the chapter 3 and onwards feels extremely rushed (and the ending is extremely predictable). And the huge amount of bugged trophies, even with the last patch, makes this plat very frustrating.

• Best friend was bugged for me. I had to uninstall the game, reinstall, download the last patch again and repeat the last companion mission (in my case was the Phobos one) to make it pop.
  • Heavyweight was bugged for me (lightweight and middleweight popped without an issue). I had to reload an old save and grind it in chapter 1.
  • The mission Finding Earth: Polar expedition also was bugged for me and I couldn't create the Ice Breaker in the fuc... table. The only solution I found was to complete another sidequest and then, the Square button to create the Ice breaker in a craft table appeared.

Just for the people who are going for it, to be aware.

Edited by Galserik

I absolutely love this game. Especially the gameplay, the combat system is really fun. Not too easy, not too hard. And the story is good. 

I'm playing the prequel of this game right now: Mars War Logs. Didn't even know a prequel existed for The Technomancer. I recommand you to play it if you liked The Technomancer. So far i really like it too. 

It's so sad that these games are not very well known and this studio gets so much hate because "uhhh the game is too ugly" that's really stupid, i prefer so much more to play a good game not very beautiful, than a beautiful shit game. 

I really like Spiders, they love video games and that's all that matters for me, i will definitely play all their other games too! (Bound by flames, Greedfall, Steelrising) 

I platted greedfall a couple of years ago and loved that, saw the technomancer was free on ps+ so decided to give it a shot and I'm one trophy (best friend) away from the plat (I messed up on my first playthrough as I didn't find Scott in time to complete his second companion quest). Love the game. I don't do 2 plathroughs lightly, I'll happily abandon a game I'm not bothered about but this one I want the plat because I'm enjoying it so much. I did a blind playthrough on extreme difficulty first run, then second run went to easy and did the saving up points for the skill trees, weapons use that I didn't use in my original run etc

Edited by harper2704

• 2 months later...