Favorite PC Game(s)?

Maxximum

6 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I'm sorry, but having played BOTH titles, Kings Quest V can't compare.

161kmkk.jpg

Probably the best Sierra game they ever put out. It was the first adventure game I ever played as a kid. Granted I was just a little kid but my sister who was 12 years old at the time helped me out quite a bit at the game.

We spent hours upon hours trying to get past some puzzles, and considering this was before guides on the internet become common, we had to rely on help phone lines and the such.

A lot of memories with this one. Makes me sad to know there is now an entire generation who weren't alive or old enough to have played this game. Plus PC desktops were hard to come by, since a lot of parents didn't have the money to buy them since they were very expensive. That's why most kids then who are now well in their 20s or 30s or so can only recount games they played on the NES, SNES and Sega Genesis since they were much cheaper. And of course, you didn't have to work your way around the DOS Prompt, which is mostly forgotten these days.

I could never beat VI

Kings Quest is the true Dark Souls lol

I think it took me and my family months to beat V

Just now, Dav9834 said:

I could never beat VI

Kings Quest is the true Dark Souls lol

I think it took me and my family months to beat V

They definitely required a lot of forethought and thinking.

Sierra games were infamous for lots of deaths, plus there was always that point of no return where you had to resort to an earlier save if you didn't do something beforehand.

You probably got stuck at the Cliffs of Logic, which was basically impossible without that Guidebook to the Green Isles booklet that came with your game. Then you had to navigate your way to the Minotaur which was mostly all trial and error. Lots of saving ahead of time, a third of those rooms were pits.

There was a sense of real satisfaction when you finally beat a puzzle, let alone the entire game. These days that satisfaction is gone because any idiot can look up a guide to beat a game, even difficult titles like the Souls games. 

Day of the Tentacle was brilliant back in 1993 along with Indiana Jones, Sam and Max and the Monkey Island games from Lucasarts. They spared you the countless deaths you got from the Sierra titles but you still have to figure out a lot of puzzles and such. There was an empty feeling when I beat Day of the Tentacle on the PS4 not only because of guides, but because it also had trophies.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2017 at 7:07 PM, sephirothdude said:

Fear, best shooter I've ever played! 

It's one of my favorites (the garage battle and its BGM are amazing), along with the 2nd one. I love the part where you take the Powered Armor, blasting enemies into gibs with chainguns/missiles and that garage battle BGM kicks in.  I was so glad to hear it used once again.

F.E.A.R. 3 is OK but something feels off with it compared to the first two.

Treyarch's Call of Duty games are good, especially Black Ops II.  They took a chance with multiple endings and it works well, especially how the game's story has something bad happen if you screw up a Strike Force mission.  Good change from the other CoD series where you're thinking "I got killed, no sweat, just reload".

Some other ones:

*Falcom RPGs (Trails of Cold Steel & Trails in the Sky series, the Ys series, Zwei II+)

*Hard Reset (both original & Redux versions... right now, playing Redux on Insane level)

*Mass Effect Trilogy (started out Ruthless at first while taking a lot of Renegade actions, trying to be more Paragon later.  Below spoiler is about Mass Effect 2.).

Spoiler

One thing that bummed me out in Mass Effect 2: There is a part where two of your teammates are arguing.  If you're not Paragon or Renegade enough, you won't be able to pick a "you're both wrong" choice like "This is a distraction." or "This ends now!".  You're stuck telling off just one of the two and losing their loyalty, because you didn't stick to one path closely enough.  Hell of a reward for starting out Renegade and trying to be gradually nicer over time. :(

• Like 1

I don't play PC gamez at all nowadays but back in my childhood days i used to play a few titles but not that much . The PC game i truly loved to play and might be my fav PC game would be Claw release on 1997 by Monolith Productions . So much nostalgia and fond memories for this underrated old gem on PC . It was really hard in some levels too to beat . I really have to play it all over again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Grand Theft Auto 2 - First GTA with multiplayer, moddable in multiplayer.

Total Annihilation - The only RTS I actually enjoy playing.

Unreal Tournament '99 - There are STILL servers up?!

Postal 2, Postal 2 - Paradise Lost - My teenage years were blown in various version of this game, all of them crash a lot.

Worms World Party - Wouldn't have gotten the plat for Battlegrounds without it.  I hate how crappy the Ninja Ropes are in comparison.

ZSNES, Super Mario World and Lunar Magic - Moddable SMW fun!

Final Fantasy Tactics 1.3 - Yes, this is a PSX game, but I mostly ran it on my computer.  God the original was too easy.  This very swiftly fixed the hell outta that.

MapleStory - Met the first most serious relationship of my life in the Ellinia shop. (we moved in together, not a LDR)  Still to this day, the strangest thing to me was that I went there without needing anything.  I still miss her.

Now I need a drink.  Memberberry overflow.

Edited by Froopy

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would go ahead and list some that I like and will recommend. This isn't all of them as I didn't really get enough time to post all of them, but I will likely post the rest in a separate post.

KotOR.jpg?fit=1280,720&ssl=1

Also known as KOTOR

Spoiler

Unless you've been living under a rock or been distracted by all the bad Star Wars games like EA's Battlefront, then you've probably heard of this at least once somewhere. You play as a standard BioWare protagonist and you get to go on a typical RPG adventure along with well written companions that range from a widower soldier, a Twi'lek street kid and a Wookiee, a mercenary war veteran voiced by John Cygan that tells you badass war stories, to a homicidal assassin droid. This was back when BioWare was good with making characters... *looks over at Dragon Age: Inquisition and Mass Effect: Andromeda*

I'm underselling it a bit, but that's the basic gist. The real icing on the cake is the fact you actually get to choose whether you're evil or a good guy. At the time, at least for me, this was pretty ground breaking and I've done many dark side playthroughs since being a Sith is cool. But if you like to play a game where you feel like you make actual good decisions then this game does really well with that too even if a lot of it comes off as a bit goody two-shoes. Overall the game holds up very well and I recommend it to anyone that wants a good Star Wars game or just a good RPG in general.

If you want to get mods for it there aren't really a lot I can recommend other than skins and sound packs. Some are interesting, but some kind of break the immersion. If you don't really mind that then go ahead and get them.

18j4eepgkzauhjpg.jpg

Also known as KOTOR II or one of the first times Obsidian got screwed around

Spoiler

I actually prefer this one over the first game because I feel it improves a lot from the first one like character animations, the choices between picking good or evil isn't so black and white, and I just prefer the overall story. Plus is goes really deep into the Force and how the Jedi and Sith affect people around them.

In this one you play as a standard BioWare protagonist and you more or less do the same stuff as you did in the first KOTOR, only there's a bit more emphasis on your companions and their loyalty to you. Some companions like it when you do good things, others don't, and depending on your actions you can either bring your companions closer to you or push them away. This matters because in doing so you can gain their trust and unlock extra dialogue options about them. And possibly learn something else about them that I won't say. Needless to say, it's a pretty complex system that works really well.

But for the love of God, if you're going to play this then get the Restored Content mod at the very least. Like the above says about the title, Obsidian had more content in the game like cutscenes and even a couple levels, but they had to rush the game out the door because of the holidays and so they wound up cutting out some stuff, a few which were kind of important to the story. Thankfully there was enough to salvage and so some modders spent years piecing it all back together. I'll go ahead and link this mod since I am a generous person and really think that the best way to experience the game is to play it with that mod installed.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-sith-lords-restored-content-mod-tslrcm

Here is also the Steam version: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=485537937

Because I am a caveman that does not have Steam am not really a PC person and don't have Steam, I have no idea how the installation works for Steam, so if you got the game off Steam you're on your own but there's surely a video or two that can help you.

That said, I can't really recommend other mods for it other than some skin and sound packs. If you want more than just the Restored Content mod then you will have to browse around moddb or the Steam page and see if anything catches your interest. As far as I know, every mod should be compatible with the Restored Content mod, so there shouldn't be an issue with mods conflicting.

And remember: Apathy is death!

republiccommando_pcbox.jpg

Spoiler

This is pretty different for a Star Wars game. Instead of playing as a Jedi Knight, you play as a Clone Commando during the Clone Wars. The game itself is a squad-based first-person shooter. I actually consider this to be one of the last few Star Wars games that were good. I felt this game took a big risk from the Jedi stuff, but I feel it did it really well. Your squad is competent and responsive and the weapons you get are fun. More on the weapons below.

You play as a Clone Commando nicknamed "Boss" voiced by Tumuera Morrison, who played Jango Fett and the other Clones in the prequels. However despite being clones, the other squadmates have different voices because it would be ridiculous to have Tumuera Morrison basically talking to himself in a recording studio all day, so they each have different voices. They all have good voices though that fit their characters pretty well, so it's no big deal.

There's also no lightsaber wielding in this, and neither do you fight anyone that does use a lightsaber. Instead your main weapon is a rifle that can become a sniper, grenade launcher, or a basically a sub-machine gun with on the fly switching. You also have a pistol that has unlimited ammo for if you run out of ammo for your main gun. You also pick up other weapons like a shotgun, beam weapons, and a chain-gun like weapon, all of which are fun to use. Lastly you get a melee option which has you stick a wrist-knife in your enemies faces.

Your other squadmates are Scorch, the explosives expert and something of the comic relief of the group. Sev, who is a sniper mainly. He's your badass of the group identified with the blood red paint on his armor. And lastly there's Fixer, who's the tech guy in the squad. The squad overall is written well enough and the back and forth banter they have with each other is funny to listen to, so the squad and your character are likeable for more than just having good mechanics.

This game is also a bit different for a Star Wars game in terms of atmosphere and mood. It's a lot darker to put it lightly, but not as dark as KOTOR II. A lot of the levels you're in are gritty, metallic, and dark areas that range from Geonosian catacombs to a ghost ship to the forests of Kashyyyk. I really appreciate it honestly since it's nice to see a more darker side of Star Wars once in a while. The soundtrack compliments it too. A lot of it is tribal chanting and drums banging but it's really cool. Take a listen.

So yeah, there's definitely no bright John Williams score but it's great anyways. There's not really any good mods out there for this game, so modding potential and recommendations are kind of low but the game is good enough if you just want to play a squad-based shooter.

2285709-box_swjk2.png

Spoiler

One of the best Star Wars games in my opinion. In this you play as Kyle Katarn who is the coolest character to grace the Galaxy and is too cool to show up in the Disney films. The game starts off as a first-person shooter but later on you get your lightsaber and Force powers. What makes it really great though is there's definitely a feel of progression with your abilities. For example you start off with a weak jump but over time you will be jumping 30ft. in the air effortlessly.

You're also a one-man army since you can carry every weapon in the game all at once and switch between them effortlessly. So you'll never truly run out of options to wreck Stormtroopers and criminals with if for some reason you don't want to use the lightsaber. The game is also one that doesn't hold your hand and while I don't consider it a bad thing, it can be easy to get lost and go in circles because in order to progress you might need to blow up an oddly specific vent or go through a door and hit a button you didn't think you could press. It's still a great game though and I recommend it if you want a Star Wars game where you can play as both a one-man army and a Jedi Knight.

As far as mods go there isn't a whole lot out there for it that really comes to mind other than re-skins.

Star%20Wars:%20Jedi%20Knight%20-%20Jedi%

Spoiler

If you ask me this is the ultimate Star Wars game that involves playing as a Jedi or Force user. This game should have set the bar and as an example for other Star Wars games to follow.

While compared to Jedi Outcast the story is more linear, but where this game really shines is the gameplay. More specifically the saber combat. Because of the free-flow combat you'll be doing flips and other tricks while fighting dark Jedi and it's just so damn fun since no battle is truly the same. I really wish future Star Wars games followed this game and Jedi Outcasts example when it came to lightsaber combat and Force powers.

Anyway, in this one you play as a custom character by the name of Jaden Korr who is a student at Luke Skywalker's Jedi academy. You're given different missions to choose from and they have a variety of objectives to them, so each mission is different in some way. But like mentioned earlier, the game has a bit more linear levels compared to Outcast which is unfortunate but I don't think the game really suffers from it.

As far as mods go this game is a goldmine for mods. There's a mod for pretty much anything you can think of, and the modding community is still very active to this day. Some mods outright make their own campaigns and even recreate parts from the movies. So yes I feel Jedi Academy stands out from a lot of the other Star Wars games for this reason alone, but even if you're not into playing mods the game is still fun to play.

Star-Wars-Empire-at-War-Forces-o.jpg

Spoiler

This is the last Star Wars game I'm listing. Empire at War is an RTS game that despite some issues is a pretty solid Star Wars RTS game. You can play as both the Rebels and the Empire and use their respective heroes and technology, including the Death Star. The expansion, Forces of Corruption adds a new faction called the Zann Consortium which is basically a criminal empire that comes with it's own game mechanics. I and many others prefer and recommend Forces of Corruption because it has a lot more to offer compared to vanilla Empire at War but also most of the mods are on there. I will list the mods below but I want to get the issues for both games out of the way.

The game exceeds very well at what it is, but it kind of has some balancing issues. Space battles are very good and there's not really any issue there. It's ground battles that have the issues. While it's not really bad by any means, the ground battles can get pretty stale since if you can get artillery or air support units you pretty much win every ground battle. Your infantry unless in large numbers aren't very good and are only really useful for capturing command points and overhwelming hero units. It's the vehicles that are really useful for ground battles, but like mentioned before they are pretty OP namely in the artillery department. Most battles can basically be solved by camping with artillery or using air vehicles to get rid of the opposing faction. You don't have to use this method of course, but the A.I. will.

That said it's still a fun game. It's not an RTS like Command and Conquer since there's no focus on resource gathering and while there is base building, there isn't really a heavy emphasis on it.

Now onto the mods, this game is also a goldmine for them and has an active modding community. A lot of mods range from adding different ships and hero units or ground units, to rebalancing or tweaking certain mechanics that make the game much more interesting and this often helps with ground battles. Some mods even use different eras like Old Republic, Clone Wars, and even past the movie era. It's really hard to recommend a single mod since a lot of them are pretty much their own game.

Some mods also have their own difficulty tweaks and the difficulty between some mods vary. They usually range from the following:

Too easy: The A.I. isn't much of a challenge and will sometimes not even deploy certain units. I've even had one where the A.I. will outright send their capital ships into asteroid fields and win the space battles for me, or ground units outright ignoring your turrets firing on them. Very few mods are like this thankfully but it helps to know it's a thing.

Fair/Challenging: Most mods fall into this category. While you can get some strong tech, vehicles, and ships of your own, the A.I. opponent will also deploy their own. It makes for interesting campaigns to say the least.

Hard but somewhat fair: A couple I have tried fell into this category but I think they were still in the early builds. However a lot of mods are also in their early builds so they may also fall into this category. For an example, the opponent will deploy it's best ships and armies against you while also building a large number of them. It makes defending your own planets a bit difficult if you don't dig in right away.

Bullshit-tier: While some modders can be excused for this by a certain mod being their first time, others seem to get some kind of sick kick from cranking the difficulty way up for no real reason. What can happen is the A.I. will mass-build fleets and ground units and bum-rush you from several planets before you can even get around to building a few ships. This can make your campaigns a total slog at best and unbeatable at worst. I've even had it where the opponent is somehow able to use every ship or ground unit much better than yours for some reason, but if you try to use those same units the opponent is able to counter it just fine with basic ships.

The lesson here is, always read the mod reviews before downloading a mod. Otherwise go nuts and see all the different mods that may tickle your fancy.

90712-warhammer-40-000-dawn-of-war-dark-

Spoiler

Warhammer 40,000 is one of my favorite series out there and this game is one of the reasons I got so interested in it. The game itself is an RTS similar to Command and Conquer with there being a bit of emphasis on base building and resource gathering. I wouldn't say it's nearly as complex however. While Dark Crusade is actually an expansion, you don't need the previous installments to play it.

In this game there is a conquest mode campaign based around different factions from the Warhammer 40k universe.

Blood Ravens Space Marine Chapter: If you're not familiar with the lore, these are power armored super soldiers that are used to lay down the hurt on the Imperium's enemies. Their basic infantry is capable of handling vehicles and other infantry on their own. But they also get specialized units and tanks to add on to their firepower and have some melee oriented units as well. Overall their units are more tanky compared to the others that will be listed.

The Tau: Blue aliens that fight for the "Greater Good". They don't use power armored units like Space Marines, but they specialize in more long range fighting and have some stealth units as well as some melee. They do have some artillery units but they aren't as good as the Imperial Guards. I believe they have the better stealth units of the game only matched by the Eldar. Which leads me to...

Eldar: Space Elves. They have more stealth based units and also do better at dealing damage but don't have a lot of health. Their vehicles are fairly decent however, and I believe their units build faster compared to the other factions.

Necrons: Space Terminators that are featured on the above cover art. Not only do they look cool but even with their most basic infantry they can dish out a world of hurt especially in large numbers. Their vehicles only add on to the pain. The best way to deal with them is to take them out before they can really get started otherwise you will have a hard time winning battles against them.

Chaos Space Marines: Chaos Space Marines are what their name suggests. They are Space Marines that are heavy metal corrupted by Chaos. They are somewhat more tanky than the Blood Ravens and their vehicles are more or less equal in some regards. If you give their Rhino Tank a twin-linked plasma cannon they can wreck most other units.

Orks: As their name suggests they are orcs in space. They can build fast and have some good vehicles on their side. When fighting them it's a good idea to get rid of them before they are able to make more units because they can start overwhelming you pretty fast.

Imperial Guard: My personal favorite faction. They specialize in numbers and artillery. Fighting them it is also best to get rid of them quick because they will start swarming you with infantry and artillery as well as heavy tanks.

So overall no faction is inherently better than the other. It's just a matter of knowing your faction well and who you're fighting and how you respond to them. The game has something of a learning curve but overall I think just about anyone can get the hang of it.

Edited by Redgrave