How hard is the dlc compared to the base game?

• 2 weeks later...

It's very grindy. There are 7-8 rooms that are boss rush-style with about 10 waves of enemies altogether. Each floor has a free random item you can get, another random item behind a locked door, a shop where you can buy items (you get coins for every wave, so about 25~ coins per floor... more with RNG), a sacrifice room, and a hidden room (blow up the wall). Oh, and if you do ALL the waves (there is an optional wave at the end of each floor where you fight two bosses at once) you are guaranteed to get a devil/angel room as well. At the very end you fight Greed which is a bullet-spongy boss. After beating him you get a Greed donation machine. Any coins you happen to have left over can be donated at the end of your run. Donate coins to unlock new secrets, donate 999 to unlock a new playable character.

The Greed donation machine breaks more frequently depending how many times you donate with a given character. I donated 200~ coins with Isaac and now the machine breaks down after donating a few coins. Donate with a character that has never donated to the greed machine before, and you could probably donate 99 coins at once no problem. That is the grind. There is also strategy, because to donate a lot of coins you need to leverage not buying certain items from shops on each floor in order to save up to donate... which means intentionally handicapping yourself.

Edited by dargon_lover

• 4 weeks later...

It's quite a bit easier IMO. Greed mode requires some practice to get the hang of but is more or less easier than the vanilla mode. Also, The Lost is made a much more viable character after clearing Greed Mode several times & the new secret character seems a lot fairer to use than the Rebirth version of The Lost.

As for a guide I'd recommend using the Isaac wiki for information and tips. It is pretty comprehensive.

• 6 months later...

The Hush is the worst thing ever and I find makes it way more annoying and harder to 100%. Killing Hush with the lost and the keeper unlocks are really what will most likely keep you from 100%. I haven't even killed the hush once cause I hate the design and how you get to him.

Also the best way to complete it is to just look at the post it note and complete those, then look up what you're missing. 

Edited by aZombieDictator

45 minutes ago, aZombieDictator said:

The Hush is the worst thing ever and I find makes it way more annoying and harder to 100%. Killing Hush with the lost and the keeper unlocks are really what will most likely keep you from 100%. I haven't even killed the hush once cause I hate the design and how you get to him.

With The Keeper it's really helpful if you get the Swallowed Penny -trinket. Every time you get hit you drop a penny which gives your HP back. That's probably the easiest way to beat any challenge with The Keeper, but anything that drops money is very important because money is HP with The Keeper. And the most important thing is not to take Devil Deal's unless you are 100% sure that you get Health upgrade immediately.

The Lost is a bit trickier but first thing to do is play Greed Mode until you've donated 879 coins to get the Holy Mantle for The Lost. When you have the Holy Mantle you can take one hit per room, not great against The Hush but makes things bit easier. At least it's better than getting killed after first hit. To beat The Hush with The Lost you need really overpowered run to success, but that's not really that rare thing in Isaac after you've unlocked most of the items.

And I do agree The Hush is pretty tedious boss to fight. Good thing is that you have to beat it only once with each character and after that you can totally ignore him if you like. I basically fight him only if I have really OP run and I know I can smoke his ass quickly.

Edited by Juzota