VeldinX

Game Titles Needing Edited

74 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, B1rvine said:

Is there there any official method or set of rules PSNP uses when renaming things other than what they may be on the actual PSN list?  ie GTA IV → Grand Theft Auto IV? It basically seems cherry picked atm.  I don't really care either way, but I think there should be a rule for consistency if there isn't one.

 

 

The general rule is the proper, official name in title case (not all uppercase or lowercase). 

 

As for your example: it's GTA IV on Sony's servers but the proper title is Grand Theft Auto IV so it was changed to match the others in the series for consistency, specially when alphabetising. 

Edited by dell9300
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2016 at 10:14 PM, leandrorhcp said:
Assassin's Creed: Revelations

 

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

 

 

 

 

 

Both need to be renamed without the ":", or else add it to all the other games to keep continuity. They don't get proper alphabetical order because of this reason.

 

Actually, the PS3 versions should be AC Brotherhood and AC Revelations because in PSN they show up like that. The same happens to Modern Warfare 2 ( and 3). In PSN there is no "Call of Duty" wording.

Anyway, I don't care about this, but being that fussy about this makes no sense to me 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also wonder if there are any rules to follow, e.g. giving all games in a series the same starting name or something like this.

I especially was confused when I skimmed through my games list and saw that Shift 2: Unleashed was also changed to Need for Speed: Shift 2 Unleashed.

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/847-need-for-speed-shift-2-unleashed

 

IMO that's wrong. It may be considered as part of the Need for Speed-franchise but it's official name is only Shift 2: Unleashed. The game cover has Need for Speed on it but it's not even a real subtitle as it's not listed on the game's spine and only placed in the bottom part of the cover (see these two images: http://ogdb.eu/imageview.php?image_id=81475&limit=0 and http://ogdb.eu/imageview.php?image_id=81477&limit=0) and I know Wikipedia ain't a trustworthy source but according to it the name part "Need for Speed" was dropped on purpose:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shift_2:_Unleashed#Spin-off

So it's more or less only for marketing-purposes that they kept Need for Speed somewhere on the cover.

 

And even if you keep the Need for Speed in it, the way it's currently listed is wrong. Unleashed is the subtitle of Shift 2 and when you want to name it with Need for Speed in the name it should be:

Need for Speed: Shift 2: Unleashed

--> You missed a colon

Edited by Crimson Idol
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, charlijaen said:

Actually, the PS3 versions should be AC Brotherhood and AC Revelations because in PSN they show up like that. The same happens to Modern Warfare 2 ( and 3). In PSN there is no "Call of Duty" wording.

Anyway, I don't care about this, but being that fussy about this makes no sense to me 

 

Thats the whole point. PSN is wrong. The games aren't called "AC", the devs were just too lazy to put the full title. They're fixed here so people can find them when searching for "assassins creed" and so they go in proper alphabetical order in profiles. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, B1rvine said:

Is there there any official method or set of rules PSNP uses when renaming things other than what they may be on the actual PSN list?  ie GTA IV → Grand Theft Auto IV? It basically seems cherry picked atm.  I don't really care either way, but I think there should be a rule for consistency if there isn't one.

 

 

11 minutes ago, dell9300 said:

 

The general rule is the proper, official name in title case (not all uppercase or lowercase). 

 

As for your example: it's GTA IV on Sony's servers but the proper title is Grand Theft Auto IV so it was changed to match the others in the series for consistency, specially when alphabetising. 

 

Okay, that makes sense.  

 

Does it go by box art then, or title screen in game?  These are all things that should be ironed out.  Also, what region are we going by, since some titles are named differently in different regions and it should be uniform. (I would say US or EU)

 

@BlindMango I know this would be a lot of work for the admins here, but perhaps there should be a preference we can select our region in the settings somewhere, and everyones lists are based off of their own region.  I say this because in the USA, "Ice Age 3" is actually called Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs (with no 3).  I just looked up the first thing on your list and found inconsistencies. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, B1rvine said:

 

 

Okay, that makes sense.  

 

Does it go by box art then, or title screen in game?  These are all things that should be ironed out.  Also, what region are we going by, since some titles are named differently in different regions and it should be uniform. (I would say US or EU)

 

@BlindMango I know this would be a lot of work for the admins here, but perhaps there should be a preference we can select our region in the settings somewhere, and everyones lists are based off of their own region.  I say this because in the USA, "Ice Age 3" is actually called Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs (with no 3).  I just looked up the first thing on your list and found inconsistencies. 

 

Box art, title screen, official website etc. Any and all of those are usually the same. It's just when it comes to trophies devs seem to be lazy. xD GTA IV for instance, when you put the disc in it says the full title, as does the save game. It's literally only the trophy list that's abbreviated. As for region it'd mostly be NA I'd reckon. US English was chosen as the default language for trophy lists here (even though the site is British technically). 

 

While true, Ice Age 4 (the game) has the number and subtitle on it's trophy list so in that case it seems more consistent to have Ice Age 3 matching. But both could drop the number I suppose if that was decided to be better. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never saw this thread before, would be possible to use this to name the regions of games so we avoid those "WHAT REGION IS THIS? I WANNA STACK!!!!!!" threads too? Of course it would be manually input by members, but would still be awesome. I didn't read all posts, but congratulations dell for all the suggestions.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TheYuriG said:

Never saw this thread before, would be possible to use this to name the regions of games so we avoid those "WHAT REGION IS THIS? I WANNA STACK!!!!!!" threads too? Of course it would be manually input by members, but would still be awesome. I didn't read all posts, but congratulations dell for all the suggestions.

 

Thanks. :) The quest for perfection never ends! xD

 

I think regions might be added to the infoboxes on the right hand side of the game pages? Not sure, but Mango said there are things happening with them soon so that's one idea. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, dell9300 said:

 

Box art, title screen, official website etc. Any and all of those are usually the same.

 

I've never personally looked for PS3, Vita, and PS4,  but I can tell you from experience of archiving literally every game from the N64 era to the Atari 2600 that about 25% of them have mismatching box names and title screens in games, and in some cases a different "official name."  I know this because I am one of the official devs of GoodMerge. If you've ever played a rom on an emulator and noticed like 3 different regions in one zip file, more than likely it was based on my work.

 

My point is though, we have two ways to look up games.  The PSN XMB trophy list, which is going to the exact same for everybody, or the "official name."  And depending on what region we're in, that can be something completely different.  For me, in the USA, Ice Age 3: Dawn of the Dinosaurs makes no sense whatsoever. See http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/957995-ice-age-dawn-of-the-dinosaurs/images/1120265 to see what I mean.   A better example may be, why aren't we renaming Resident Evil (#) to Biohazard (#).  Basically, if we go by the XMB title list, then at least everybody is looking up the same game uniformly.  If we go by a hard coded list of official names, it may be wrong for somebody if they're not in that region.  Now I personally think the PSNP staff renamed list is much nicer and prefer it, but if they make it to your Ice Age title, then its wrong (for me).

 

@BlindMango So we should either have settings that let us pick our region and the game's titles adjust accordingly, or go by the XMB so everybody sees the same thing (which is by default, correct).  

 

Edit: dell9300 : I'm not trying to pick a fight or be argumentative or anything, just trying to point out there's some things to consider is all :)

Edited by B1rvine
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, B1rvine said:

 

I've never personally looked for PS3, Vita, and PS4,  but I can tell you from experience of archiving literally every game from the N64 era to the Atari 2600 that about 25% of them have mismatching box names and title screens in games, and in some cases a different "official name."  I know this because I am one of the official devs of GoodMerge. If you've ever played a rom on an emulator and noticed like 3 different regions in one zip file, more than likely it was based on my work.

 

My point is though, we have two ways to look up games.  The PSN XMB trophy list, which is going to the exact same for everybody, or the "official name."  And depending on what region we're in, that can be something completely different.  For me, in the USA, Ice Age 3: Dawn of the Dinosaurs makes no sense whatsoever. See http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/957995-ice-age-dawn-of-the-dinosaurs/images/1120265 to see what I mean.   A better example may be, why aren't we renaming Resident Evil (#) to Biohazard (#).  Basically, if we go by the XMB title list, then at least everybody is looking up the same game uniformly.  If we go by a hard coded list of official names, it may be wrong for somebody if they're not in that region.  Now I personally think the official list is much nicer and prefer it, but if they make it to your title, then its wrong (for me).

 

@BlindMango So we should either have settings that let us pick our region and the game's titles adjust accordingly, or go by the XMB so everybody sees the same thing (which is by default, correct).  

 

Well PSN trophy lists can actually have different titles per region so even if using that it's still going to be wrong for some. Indigo Prophecy for example shows up as Fahrenheit outside of NA on PSN. Since this site can only have one main title we've just got to do our best with it. But there are still cases where PSN is wrong like the "AC" example. It's never called that anywhere. I think nowadays though the box and the title screen will match 99% of the time. It's just the different title per region that's an issue. 

 

Edit: Nah it's ok, I understand. :) I take the things you've mentioned into consideration as well. I'm actually keen to have th NA titles for everything for consistency with aka titles listed in the infoboxes. 

Edited by dell9300
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, B1rvine said:

 

I've never personally looked for PS3, Vita, and PS4,  but I can tell you from experience of archiving literally every game from the N64 era to the Atari 2600 that about 25% of them have mismatching box names and title screens in games, and in some cases a different "official name."  I know this because I am one of the official devs of GoodMerge. If you've ever played a rom on an emulator and noticed like 3 different regions in one zip file, more than likely it was based on my work.

 

My point is though, we have two ways to look up games.  The PSN XMB trophy list, which is going to the exact same for everybody, or the "official name."  And depending on what region we're in, that can be something completely different.  For me, in the USA, Ice Age 3: Dawn of the Dinosaurs makes no sense whatsoever. See http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/957995-ice-age-dawn-of-the-dinosaurs/images/1120265 to see what I mean.   A better example may be, why aren't we renaming Resident Evil (#) to Biohazard (#).  Basically, if we go by the XMB title list, then at least everybody is looking up the same game uniformly.  If we go by a hard coded list of official names, it may be wrong for somebody if they're not in that region.  Now I personally think the PSNP staff renamed list is much nicer and prefer it, but if they make it to your Ice Age title, then its wrong (for me).

 

@BlindMango So we should either have settings that let us pick our region and the game's titles adjust accordingly, or go by the XMB so everybody sees the same thing (which is by default, correct).  

 

Edit: dell9300 : I'm not trying to pick a fight or be argumentative or anything, just trying to point out there's some things to consider is all :)

 

The general plan is to have games appear when you search certain tags or look under a letter of the alphabet, such as when someone types Call Of Duty or looks under C when looking for Modern Warfare 2, and to have games from the same "series" to appear together in your trophy list when arranged alphabetically, such as changing AC to Assassin's Creed. The region setting is a good suggestion, but I don't know if it's something that is even possible to implement. Games such as Bully & Hot Shot's Tennis would have their names dramatically changed to Canis Canem Edit & Everybody's Tennis.

Edited by Stevieboy
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah.  I'm in full agreement with you that we probably shouldn't use the PSN XMB title.  I'm just just trying to point out there should be some set of structure is all, rather than what looks best because of some suggestion at the time.

 

I.e, we shouldn't use the XMB Title in one case, a USA name in a different case, and a European (or elsewhere) name in a different case all at the same time.  That's inconsistent.   

 

But we should have the same title for everybody by either:

1) Everyone using the XMB.

2) Having settings to set our region, and the Official title will adjust accordingly for each user. (preffered)

3) Making a "Master Region" its based from and listing what it is. 

 

And thanks Stevieboy, for the clarification, that makes sense too.  Again, just trying to bring up some points that may have been overlooked when starting all this.

 

Edited by B1rvine
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, B1rvine said:

Yeah.  I'm in full agreement with you that we probably shouldn't use the PSN XMB title.  I'm just just trying to point out there should be some set of structure is all, rather than what looks best because of some suggestion at the time.

 

I.e, we shouldn't use the XMB Title in one case, a USA name in a different case, and a European (or elsewhere) name in a different case all at the same time.  That's inconsistent.   

 

But we should have the same title for everybody by either:

1) Everyone using the XMB.

2) Having settings to set our region, and the Official title will adjust accordingly for each user. (preffered)

3) Making a "Master Region" its based from and listing what it is. 

 

And thanks Stevieboy, for the clarification, that makes sense too.  Again, just trying to bring up some points that may have been overlooked when starting all this.

 

 

The theory is sound at first glance but there are always going to be issues, that's the thing.

 

1. Everyone using PSN titles wouldn't work since one trophy list can have multiple names depending on the language settings. Unless...

2. Users can set their language / region. However it may not be doable, it's something Sly would have to implement if it's even possible. 

3. So "Master Region" would be the best bet however there are trophy lists out there that are PAL only like Everybody's Golf doesn't share a list with the NA version, Hot Shot's Golf: World Invitational, and a PAL-only list can't have a NA title of course.  

 

Therefore the the only way really is case by case evaluation to find whatever's the best option. I think that would generally be the NA title though. 

Edited by dell9300
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheYuriG said:

Never saw this thread before, would be possible to use this to name the regions of games so we avoid those "WHAT REGION IS THIS? I WANNA STACK!!!!!!" threads too? Of course it would be manually input by members, but would still be awesome. I didn't read all posts, but congratulations dell for all the suggestions.

While not on the name itself, I would like to see a region indicator under the top right section of the game with all the information like developer, publisher, release date, etc.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jaehyun1009 said:

While not on the name itself, I would like to see a region indicator under the top right section of the game with all the information like developer, publisher, release date, etc.

That's actually an even better idea... :hmm: I was thinking to do it like .org does, but that would be even nicer.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, jaehyun1009 said:

While not on the name itself, I would like to see a region indicator under the top right section of the game with all the information like developer, publisher, release date, etc.

 

Thats what I was meaning by "infobox" ;) 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While looking at the trophy list before starting Castlevania: Harmony of Despair, I noticed there was a list of other names, Akumajo Dracula: Harmony of Darkness listed under the general info.  Perhaps the "XMB name" can be listed somewhere in a section like this, or a drop down infobox, or whatever if anything like this is implemented in cases where it's changed.

Edited by B1rvine
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, B1rvine said:

While looking at the trophy list before starting Castlevania: Harmony of Despair, I noticed there was a list of other names, Akumajo Dracula: Harmony of Darkness listed under the general info.  Perhaps the "XMB name" can be listed somewhere in a section like this, or a drop down infobox, or whatever if anything like this is implemented in cases where it's changed.

 

Well I think that is what the "other name" field is for, that reason. Alternate titles, regional titles, short titles etc. :)

 

Edited by dell9300
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, to answer questions. Game titles are only renamed if it makes sense to or if they need to be - otherwise they are staying how they appear on PSN. For example "GTA IV" was an abbreviation, the name of the game is Grand Theft Auto IV, so it was renamed to that a long time ago, the "AC" in Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and Revelations were also abbreviations, so they were renamed a long time ago too. They may also be changed to be part of the series they're in, such as Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 and 3. A lot of times developers used "stylalized" names and titles for their lists instead of the full official title, and that's when they're changed as well.

 

The rules of changing titles are they really shouldn't be changed unless it's really absolutely necessary, for example the ones I've changed (most from this thread) are really the only ones that needed to be changed for a while. Anything beyond that really isn't necessary as far as I can tell.

 

Also, it looks like when a list comes in, that list is chosen by its American name automatically, for example I think Bully's trophy list title is listed as Canis Canem Edit in Europe? It's just the American name that seems to be chosen automatically, it's been that way for a while. So I think the preferred name if it varies by region is the American one, or the most popular one.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Shaun said:

How anyone got "Wonder" out of "Mysterious" is beyond me, I really doubt it has "Wonder" on any other version.

Because it wasn't out of 'Mysterious' but out of ' 不思議 ' (fushigi). =)

Wonder is a valid translation of the Japanese word. 

 

However, yea, now that we have official localized name, it should be changed.

Calling @BlindMango

Edited by Satoshi Ookami
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shaun said:

What PSN Profile has here is incorrect: Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Wonder Book Correct: Atelier Sophie ~The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book~

 

How anyone got "Wonder" out of "Mysterious" is beyond me, I really doubt it has "Wonder" on any other version.

 

It originally came into PSN with this English name before it was localized to its official name "Wonder" if I remember right, basically what Ookami said.

 

Good catch, I've fixed it! :)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.