Shantae: Half-Genie Hero: Launches digital on December 20th (NA & EU)

December 20th is Digital Launch!

This is it - the moment you’ve all been waiting for! The digital version of Shantae: Half-Genie Hero now has an official release date of December 20!

This release includes:

• Steam for Window PC - worldwide
  • Xbox One - worldwide
  • PS4 & Vita - North America & Europe
  • Wii U - North America & Europe (awaiting final confirmation)
If you’re curious about the retail versions, look to Xseed for an announcement shortly! Spread the word! Half-Genie Hero is just a couple of weeks away!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/1756646

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Previous post

Wayforward posted a Kickstarter-update regarding the release date and the physical versions of Half-Genie Hero and I thought it would be a good idea to share it with all non-backers (text in red is marked by me)

Target Release Date!

The end is nigh! We’ve set a target release date of 9/27/2016. That includes PC, Wii U, PS4, Vita, and Xbox One. Our goal is to launch in all territories and on all platforms at the same time, which we really hope can line up just right in order to get the game in the hands of all backers at the same time, with the full release right afterwards. 

As for the term “target date” – yes, that can shift and is not guaranteed to be the street date. Once we submit the game, we might have to make corrections and resubmit. It could (hypothetically), pass Nintendo of America but have a translation error with Nintendo of Europe. So the date might shift around as we come closer to launch, but that would be purely out of necessity. So mark your calendars, but use a pencil until the date is finalized and locked in.

Xseed brings Physical Copies to the US!

Our friends at Xseed will be publishing Half-Genie Hero at US retail stores! Dubbed the “Risky Beats” edition, this version will come packaged with music from the game. It’s coming to Wii U, PS4, and Vita (pre-orders are live now, so tell your friends!). WayForward is still the primary publisher, so you’ll get Backer Rewards from us as previously planned, and Backer Exclusives are still just as exclusive as ever. In case you have questions, we’ve assembled the following FAQ for you. With this physical release now, Half-Genie Hero can reach even more players than before!

Boxed Copies - Questions and Answers:

Since E3, we’ve received a barrage of letters from folks interested in Xseed’s physical versions. We’ve replied one-one-one via social media and support, but here are answers to the most popular questions as a quick reference:

Q: Can I change my platform preference to a physical copy?

A: We can’t offer that option, because WayForward will not have the ability to distribute physical copies. However, we expect that Backer DLC will be compatible regardless of whether you bought a physical copy or downloaded the game (Example: If you have PS4 digital with Backer DLC, the PS4 disc version would have the same features unlocked). We don’t want Backers locked away from the content they’ve backed.

Q: Will the Physical Game's Soundtrack be the same as the soundtrack backers will be receiving?

A: No. Although many of the songs will be the same, the Backer CD includes backer-exclusive bonus music. Both discs are expected to look somewhat different as well.

Q: Will there be a separate music CD you can purchase for SHGH?

A: Presently there are no plans for a separate music CD.

Q: Will there be physical EU copies? Is it only in the US? Does this effect the EU release date for digital copies?

A: We have not announced a publisher for EU yet! This does not affect the target release date for EU digital. We hope to release all versions at the same time if at all possible.

Q: Is Game Stop the only place you will be able to pre-order the game? Can they be pre-ordered at EB Games in Canada? Can they be pre-ordered on Amazon?

A: No, this is not exclusive to GameStop, and you can find the pre-order on Amazon. More pre-orders should appear at various retailers during the following months.

Q: Will there be an Xbox One physical release?

A: Currently we do not have any announcements regarding Xbox One retail.

Q: Will there be another Early Access Build for backers before the game is released in September?

A: We aren't planning another update for Early Access, as we're busy preparing the final version.

Q: Will there be a Steam pre-order option?

A: Possibly. We are looking into this.

Source: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/1628232?ref=backer_project_update

So to be clear there might be the chance that EU also gets a physical release. And no further word about PS3 and X360. (sorry, yellowwindow7 :( )

Edited by Crimson Idol
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Im pretty confused here by the wording structure. What is backer?

Awesome. I'm sure I'll wait...until it's on sale. But I did like Risky's Revenge, so I'm not altogether blah about this info.

Sounds like you considered skipping the third installment. Edited by Mar

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The game might still release this month. A few days ago Wayforward posted a Kickstarter-update to confirm this:

DOWNLOAD CODES COMING THIS MONTH!

Thanks for your help last week! Everyone’s platform selections are in! We’re now in the process of updating Backer Kit to reflect any changes that we received via support email, which will take several days. Remember, if you never made a selection, we’ve selected Steam for Win PC for you.

And with that, the platform selection period is now closed!

With the final tallies in hand, we’re working with Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, and Valve to get codes for each platform and territory. We’ll do our best to get them into your hands at the same time, but since there is a lot of coordination needed we ask for your understanding if some people get codes slightly ahead of others.

Your download codes are expected to arrive sometime in the next few weeks! We’ll update you the moment they arrive. We can’t wait for you to play the game!!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/1753461

And Early Access-backers can already play it. Now I only have to find some spare time to do so. =)

Im pretty confused here by the wording structure. What is backer?

Sounds like you considered skipping the third installment.

I know the response is a bit late but backer refers to the people who pledged money towards Wayforward during the Kickstarter-campaign (or afterwards through PayPal) to support the project.

This is it - the moment you’ve all been waiting for! The digital version of Shantae: Half-Genie Hero now has an official release date of December 20!

This release includes:

•     Steam for Window PC - worldwide
  •     Xbox One - worldwide
  •     PS4 & Vita - North America & Europe
  •     Wii U - North America & Europe (awaiting final confirmation)
If you’re curious about the retail versions, look to Xseed for an announcement shortly! Spread the word! Half-Genie Hero is just a couple of weeks away!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/1756646

Backers will receive the keys one week before the official launch and even before the press. :D

Edited by Crimson Idol

This release includes:

•     Steam for Window PC - worldwide
  •     Xbox One - worldwide
  •     PS4 & Vita - North America & Europe
  •     Wii U - North America & Europe (awaiting final confirmation)

Backers will receive the keys one week before the official launch and even before the press. :D

Freaking sweet! I have the PS4 physical game pre-ordered, so it looks like I'll be waiting a bit longer, but I hope Xseed says something soon.

Wonderful news, i want this game since i saw the trailer by Xseed and so it will finally be out, a good old school Platform game (Or at least what i saw xD) like today you almost don't find anymore. It will be mine for sure on a sale, maybe more on Vita but i won't be bothered playing this on a big screen :3

On 6.12.2016 at 7:56 AM, TheFinalEmblem said:

Freaking sweet! I have the PS4 physical game pre-ordered, so it looks like I'll be waiting a bit longer, but I hope Xseed says something soon.

Physical release will be on the same day:

EDIT:
Now tweets are automatically embedded.  oO Sweet <3

Edited by Crimson Idol
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Crimson Idol said:

Physical release will be on the same day:

EDIT:
Now tweets are automatically embedded.  oO Sweet <3

Well better say Just in the NA this for now, for what i got by a comment on Fb by Xseed they found a pubblisher for EU but still have no date, but way better than nothing :P

Edited by Sora9427
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sora9427 said:

Well better say Just in the NA this for now, for what i got by a comment on Fb by Xseed they found a pubblisher for EU but still have no date, but way better than nothing :P

That's great news. As I don't have a FB-account I didn't notice this. And I assume the EU-publisher will be Rice Digital, as they already helped releasing Pirate's Curse retail for the 3DS. Now I can double dip, again. xD

4 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

That's great news. As I don't have a FB-account I didn't notice this. And I assume the EU-publisher will be Rice Digital, as they already helped releasing Pirate's Curse retail for the 3DS. Now I can double dip, again. xD

Nope They commented to a Question "Europe When?" Like so " We're only the North American publishers. WayForward would have more information on EU release." So it's Wayforward the releaser that i checked and published Ducktales for Example, so let's see i don't know at this point xD Anyway i hope not Rice Digital or Oh god even this will cost a lot Retail here....

5 minutes ago, vanillamoose said:

Awesome can't wait to get the Vita version! Hmm I wonder if it has a platinum...

It's possible to see the Xbox-achievements on Exophase and there are 42. I guess the chances are quite high that it will have a plat:

https://www.exophase.com/game/shantae-half-genie-hero-xbox-one/achievements/

Edited by Crimson Idol
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

It's possible to see the Xbox-achievements on Exophase and there are 42. I guess the chances are quite high that it will have a plat:

https://www.exophase.com/game/shantae-half-genie-hero-xbox-one/achievements/

I would expect this has a plat since Pirate's Curse got one. Anyway, looking at the list, it seems pretty basic. I see there's no [Defeat boss without taking damage] trophies, but the basic collectibles and speedrun stuff is still there. I'll definitely be starting the trophy guide, and potential speedrun guide as well, as soon as the first trophy pops for me, haha.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

I still don't understand why MARVELOUS EU can't put their shit together and start releasing XSEED-sama's games normally... =D

Ah i don't know,Money or relations problems i guess for this game, let's see if Marvelous EU is back for the New Sennran Kagura, if nto i guess they had a "discussion" and separated :(

On 10.12.2016 at 0:41 AM, TheFinalEmblem said:

I would expect this has a plat since Pirate's Curse got one. Anyway, looking at the list, it seems pretty basic. I see there's no [Defeat boss without taking damage] trophies, but the basic collectibles and speedrun stuff is still there. I'll definitely be starting the trophy guide, and potential speedrun guide as well, as soon as the first trophy pops for me, haha.

Wish you much fun writing the guide. It should be easier to write as the ones for the two predecessors as it plays more like a normal 2D-platformer and if my guess is right (after the one hour I played so far) it has no open world which minimizes the backtracking.

3 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

Wish you much fun writing the guide. It should be easier to write as the ones for the two predecessors as it plays more like a normal 2D-platformer and if my guess is right (after the one hour I played so far) it has no open world which minimizes the backtracking.

Thanks, being easier to write is a relief, I've honestly been getting tired of writing bigger guides, but Pirate's Curse wasn't that bad. Hmm, no open world, huh? So you mean it's not how Risky's Revenge had it, and everything is connected, and you can use warp points to get around? I think I remember seeing that the worlds in this game are kinda like they are in Pirate's Curse, where you just go from one to another, and they're all separate, but each place is a decent size, correct me if I'm wrong though. Man, still gotta wait one more week before I get my hands on the game.

Edited by TheFinalEmblem

3 minutes ago, TheFinalEmblem said:

Thanks, being easier to write is a relief, I've honestly been getting tired of writing bigger guides, but Pirate's Curse wasn't that bad. Hmm, no open world, huh? So you mean it's not how Risky's Revenge had it, and everything is connected, and you can use warp points to get around? I think I remember seeing that the worlds in this game are kinda like they are in Pirate's Curse, where you just go from one to another, and they're all separate, but each place is a decent size, correct me if I'm wrong though. Man, still gotta wait one more week before I get my hands on the game.

Oh, Pirate's Curse didn't have a connected world? Okay, than Half Genie Hero is more like it. I always heard that people consider Pirate's Curse to be a Metroidvania and with that I automatically associate a connected (open) world. Only played Risky's Revenge so far so I'm sorry for that mix-up with Pirate's Curse.

Levels seem to be a decent size. I would say it's about the same size as the dungeons from Risky's Revenge or the levels from DuckTales Remastered.