Dark Souls III is an easy game?

JimmyRSX

Wow, those trophy rarities are ridiculous. The Dark Souls series is rightly known as challenging, to say the least. But you wouldn't think so looking on here and comparing the latest one to other games' completion rates. Almost two thirds of players on here have gotten to Champion Gundyr and beaten him? I'd love to know how much the rarity would change if boss trophies would only pop if you took them on in single-player. Half that? Less? Because as we all know, they become a walk in the park when a few of you are all hacking away at the boss without a care in the world, and it's all over in seconds. Obviously it takes away almost all of the challenge, but in my opinion almost all of the fun goes with it as well, even if it is more social to coop, and can be some of the best fun you can have in the game.

I'm not begrudging people who play through their first time with help. People can of course play how they like - I'm strictly talking about trophies only here, and am just curious to see what others feel about it.

Edited by rsx901
  • Like 1

The people who use this site are mainly trophy hunters. When people start a game, most are going to want to finish it. This really shouldn't be a big surprise. If you want an accurate rarity on trophies, you open up your trophy section on the Vita or PS4, and you look at the % there. It will show every single person with the game on their trophy list. On this site, it's only showing people who have been scanned by the site.

It's funny how these topics keep popping up about the Souls games, how trophies should be "removed" if you co-oped.

• Like 2

It's not just on this site, but overall PSN shows a higher % of people with the plat than one would think, given its reputation.

Dark Souls games have high trophy %s because once you beat any of the games in the franchise, progressing through a second time becomes significantly easier. It's a tough go your first time through, but the Souls series has always been built on learning from your mistakes. Once you beat the game for the first time and inevitably died a bajillion times, you understand how the game works in almost every single mechanic. That's when the platinum looks very achievable because it essentially becomes a collectible hunt.

• Like 2

Using the co-op to your advantage is part of the game design, so why should one be penalized for a trophy because they played as intended?

Personally I haven't used co-op much, though Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 2 are the only games I've played, but I can't see a problem with it. 

• Like 1

I'll add that some lamers will get item trophies(ex. Rings) by getting them from someone rather than doing 3 playthroughs. From Software hasn't figured out how to make "no drop" items yet.

Wait, the covenant items are "no drop". No idea why they left the door open for people who don't earn trophies to get them then . . .

I remember like 1-2 monthhs ago maybe more? April*

" I'd love to know how much the rarity would change if boss trophies would only pop if you took them on in single-player. Half that? Less? Because as we all know, they become a walk in the park when a few of you are all hacking away at the boss without a care in the world, and it's all over in seconds. Obviously it takes away almost all of the challenge, but in my opinion almost all of the fun goes with it as well, even if it is more social to coop, and can be some of the best fun you can have in the game."

This EXACT topic was brought about and it started a little war, and came to the point of getting at eachothers throats and getting angry and everything!

Here it is: http://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/36131-should-co-op-play-enable-trophies/           hahaha

Edited by TigressLion
  • Like 4

I'll add that some lamers will get item trophies(ex. Rings) by getting them from someone rather than doing 3 playthroughs. From Software hasn't figured out how to make "no drop" items yet.

Wait, the covenant items are "no drop". No idea why they left the door open for people who don't earn trophies to get them then . . .

Transferring items from one player to another is part of the game's design and is therefore a perfectly valid way to earn item trophies. You shouldn't call someone out for using a method that is easier and part of the game's mechanics. 

• Like 1

Transferring items from one player to another is part of the game's design and is therefore a perfectly valid way to earn item trophies. You shouldn't call someone out for using a method that is easier and part of the game's mechanics.

Keep telling yourself that

I remember like 1-2 monthhs ago maybe more? April*

" I'd love to know how much the rarity would change if boss trophies would only pop if you took them on in single-player. Half that? Less? Because as we all know, they become a walk in the park when a few of you are all hacking away at the boss without a care in the world, and it's all over in seconds. Obviously it takes away almost all of the challenge, but in my opinion almost all of the fun goes with it as well, even if it is more social to coop, and can be some of the best fun you can have in the game."

This EXACT topic was brought about and it started a little war, and came to the point of getting at eachothers throats and getting angry and everything!

Here it is: http://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/36131-should-co-op-play-enable-trophies/           hahaha

Wow. That post is almost exactly the same as mine! It wasn't me, honest! ;-D I've been registered on here now for a while, but rarely visit the forums. I remember I did post something similar about Dark Souls I or II, and seem to remember getting an almost universely negative response. But it may be the way I wrote it. I certainly don't intend to start a "little war". People seem much more open to discussion this time round anyway.

Thanks for all the replies guys. There were a few things I hadn't considered.

Wow. That post is almost exactly the same as mine! It wasn't me, honest! ;-D I've been registered on here now for a while, but rarely visit the forums. I remember I did post something similar about Dark Souls I or II, and seem to remember getting an almost universely negative response. But it may be the way I wrote it. I certainly don't intend to start a "little war". People seem much more open to discussion this time round anyway.

Thanks for all the replies guys. There were a few things I hadn't considered.

As long as you're opinionizing and being subjective things go wonderful and civilized threads can happen. It's when you state stuff as facts, than fan boys get included and defend it, than it spirals. As wonderful as PSNP is, we do have trolls and very negative people, luckily we have wonderful mods that always seem to conveniently be around. I haven't played Dark Souls III but your 

"I'd love to know how much the rarity would change if boss trophies would only pop if you took them on in single-player"

That's a general inquiry and wonder of rarity change, it's not stating something that should or shouldn't.

whereas

"I can't help but wonder why someone who cheapens the difficulty so much, should receive the same award as I who have struggled alone."

Is stating that someone shouldn't receive something for not playing the way he did. 

So your way of expression is much more well received and IMO is why it's being talked about civilly. 

A dedicated fanbase plus practice making perfect plus people willing to help others out is what makes the rarity so high for these games.

I know I have to use online people to help how, just because I don't have the time to keep trying to consistently beat it myself unfortunately. And I'm sure that applies to many others as well.

I can't help but think DS III is a game that random people don't pick up on a whim. A larger percentage of people who have played it seem to have played it on purpose.

But then again, I can't understand why Disgaea 3 Vita's Plat % is so low. It's possibly the best game on the Vita!

I can't help but think DS III is a game that random people don't pick up on a whim. A larger percentage of people who have played it seem to have played it on purpose.

But then again, I can't understand why Disgaea 3 Vita's Plat % is so low. It's possibly the best game on the Vita!

Disgaea 3 absence of detention got ME laughing xD funny humor, awesome characters.

I grew up playing kartia the world of fate and final fantasy tactics

"FOOD IS ENERGY" xD  xD

but the plat is miles away, completing the game felt very rewarding for me

I

It is also because earning trophies Co Op makes it a complete joke. You can bet most of them got help one way or the other. That is fine, but DS on average, are not hard games, they offer a challenge relatively easy to overcome, made even easier through co op 

I don't think co-op should be removed or nerfed. If people want to experience the game that way is fine to me. The issue is the fact that they are getting the trophies by killing the bosses in a way that is not meant to be and I am going to explain why. Bosses are not designed to properly defend themselves and attack multiple players. They will stick to one target and ignore the rest as if they were not there. It is obvious that the A.I is not smart enough to handle co-op. This lead to players completely ignoring boss mechanincs and skills and making the game a lot easier that it was meant to be. If you disagree please refer to this video and tell me this is the way the boss was meant to behave in a fight

I don't understand why there are people criticizing others who point it out. No one cares if people co-op. The problem is that they are getting undeserved trophies by exploiting the multiplayer feature. My problem with that is that trophies lose credivility. For example I remember when I killed sullivanh for the first time a few days ago. It was so hard I had to stop playing for the day because I was about to smash my controller, but I finally managed to beat him. It was sad to come to psn profiles and see over 70% of people killed him. Problably in co-op completely ignoring the boss mechanics and skills; resulting in the trophie losing all its value.

I would describe the situation as an university where cheating and plegiarisism is tolerated. No one wants to have a diploma from such university. Even if you graduated without cheating employs would be aware of the university's reputation and may think you cheated as the majority of students did. Similarly, I lost all desire to get the plat in this game because it does not reflect the percentage of people who beat the game in the way that was meant to be; with hard bosses who use the skills they were given and abuse the mechanics they were designed to perform in order to defend themselves and kill you; but in co-op there is none of that. Co-op players should be able to kill bosses and finish the game but why should they get the trophies? Why are they getting so upset if someone sugest the idea of taking trophies away from them? I thought it was all about fun and not about the trophies for them.

Careful, I have been getting a lot of angry reactions from people who do not get this point.

• Like 1