Stranger Things: The best show on Netflix right now.

angelgrievous

So I saw a trailer for this and immediately thought that it was a television show based on Close Encounters of the Third Kind.  Well, it isn't that, not really, but it's close (ha).  It's more like a show based on the work of Steven Spielberg... and Steven King.  Now, I'm a child of the 80's.  I grew up with E.T., IT, The Goonies, etc... I've always loved the "kids go on an adventure" genre and this show captures all of that and more.  It's a Sci-Fi meets Horror meets John Hughes kind of show.  Think if Super 8 and Weird Science had a baby.  It has great writing, amazing child actor performances, music that anybody can enjoy, and a story that will keep you watching through to the next episode. I don't want to spoil the show at all so I won't carry on but if you have any free time this weekend I highly suggest watching what you can.  I'm on episode 5 of 8 and I'm sure i'll see it through to the end.  If you have any love for the 80's, be it music or otherwise, like kid adventure/horror stories like The Goonies, Stand By Me, or IT, or just a big fan of Winona Ryder, you owe it to yourself to watch this show.  It's awesome.

• Like 3

I just saw a trailer this morning. Looks great. Does anyone know if it is appropriate for kids?

As soon as I heard that Winona was in the cast I was waiting patiently show's debut.

F I did not even pick up on Winona when I watched the trailer.

I just saw a trailer this morning. Looks great. Does anyone know if it is appropriate for kids?

It isn't too violent but there are some creepy parts that made me want to sleep with one eye open as a married 36-year-old grown man! Teenagers should be okay, younger than that you may want to screen at least the first episode before letting them watch it.

My wife and I watched all 8 episodes last weekend, we started Friday night and finished late Saturday night. My wife kept saying "one more episode".

I agree with everything the OP said. It isn't easy to pull off believable child actors, but they did it here. After watching the show, just imagine one of the lead actors as Anakin Skywalker!

The absolute highest praise I can give this show is that it has a satisfying ending, while showing a hint of two for a potential second season. I dreaded the end of the season because I thought it would end on a horrible cliffhanger, but it didn't. I wish some of the spoiler-free reviews mentioned it, but maybe people have just come to expect season cliffhangers in the era of Game of Thrones.

Anyway, I agree with the OP. Watch it. A lot of views will hopefully bring us a second season with more great 80s music. One New Order song is not enough. :)

Edited by MosesRockefeller
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I took out the 30 day free trial because I wanted to watch this show. I really liked it, watched the whole lot in a weekend. But as your title suggests, it is the best thing on Netflix right now. I already subscribe to Amazon Prime and Now TV so Netflix has nothing else to tempt me so I will be cancelling my sub before my trial comes to an end.

As far as Netflix Originals (shows) I'd say this is their best one yet. (obviously from what I've seen...) The only other Netflix Original that interests me is Marco Polo and Stranger Things probably beats it. If Adventure of Sinbad ever gets dubbed I'll watch and judge that too. :P

EDIT: Ok I lied. The Seven Deadly Sins is another show I liked but like Adventure of Sinbad it's an anime...so I rarely ever count it when dealing with real tv shows.

I really can't say that it is better than a good amount of other shows netflix is borrowing though. (that's just me however)

I agree with the other comments stating that it's definitely worth watching. I hope a second season is done too.

Edited by Avatar_Of_Battle

I really enjoyed it.  As an 80's child and a huge Stephen King fan, it had that appeal to me.  Of course, some of it was predictable and cliche but it didn't make it any less enjoyable for me and still had me on the edge of my seat.

Thought the acting was excellent, some great casting choices.  As previously been said, I was also so glad that it didn't leave off on some horrendous cliff hanger instead there was just enough to leave it open for a second season.

It has made me want to try Eggo's though  :facepalm: