How is the game? Worth $40?

Wavergray

Now I love me some old-school 90s jrpgs (chrono trigger is my favorite jrpg) and all the pre-release news was about how I Am Setsuna is going to be a tribute/throwback to the jrpgs of the 90s.

So now that I Am Setsuna is out, is the game good? If it is good, is it worth $40 or should I wait for a sale?

• Like 1

The game itself IS worth 40 bucks.

For physical version.

You don't want to pay 40 bucks for digital-only PS4-only title.

Since you love Chrono Trigger, it's definitely a game for you, wait for the first sale and grab it ;)

Anything around 20 bucks is what you should pay for it.

Definitely worth $40. My only issue is everything is a snow area.

Well, it IS in game's name so obviously everything is snow =D

Edited by Satoshi Ookami

Definitely worth $40. My only issue is everything is a snow area.

I completely agree with becoming annoyed with the snow. I keep expecting it to change it up a little, but I guess the plat is called A Tale from the Land of Snow for a reason. I would highly suggest buying it though, I've had a lot of fun slowing playing through it, and the music is wonderful. I'm also a big fan of the character designs.

recommend you to watch a video on YouTube called " before you buy " about I am setsuna, probably will give you some good reason why it should or shouldn't worth the $40 price tag, also the guy in the video got pissed about the Vita's western version cancelation ( same bullshit square enix came with of why there's no western ps3 release of star ocean IAF ).

Edited by yellowwindow7

Personally I think it is totally worth it. I find it more of a JRPG lite - everything is quick to pick up and combat is fairly straight forward. Fantastic music score and overal quite calming gameplay. The shorter length is actually a positive for me as is the ability to drop in and out between other games without losing the thread of the story.

• Like 1

A positive thing about purchasing the game is showing Square Enix that they're wrong about what a lot of players want. From what I've heard, the story should have been a tad bit better. Hopefully this new studio is making a decent profit, and they get to continue to make games like this.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

(personal opinion)

Just finished it and about to plat it. I would say it was worth the money as I enjoyed the battle system a lot and as I am a sucker for turn-based combat. The story is a bit mediocre for my taste and very predictable at times. People who want a challenge might be a bit disappointed difficulty-wise. The soundtrack was very fitting to the overall theme and definitely one of the better ones I have heard lately. As one of the previous posters already stated, it is quite short (depends on your preference). A short JRPG every once in a while is a good thing though ^^

All in all, it is an enjoyable, solid title which was worth the price. It does not reinvent the wheel (metaphoric), but it is a nice, relaxing game to play between other titles.

• 2 weeks later...

In the end, as is obvious by my thread in the forum, I was let down by this game. Star Ocean 5 was meh and this game was even more so. Since the third time is the charm, ff15 must be the best game ever. This game would have been better priced at $15-20$ That being said. I see it as being offered up for free in the near future on PSN

• 6 months later...