This game actually includes a manual

TastyEmpire

I just imported Uppers and was amazed to find that it actually includes a game manual. I can't read Japanese very well, so it doesn't serve much purpose, but it's a rather detailed manual that appears to give you all the basics as well as some tips on the first few missions.

It's such a shame that games these days don't include manuals; this is the first Vita manual I've ever actually seen. I rarely ever looked at them much, but I still find myself missing them now that they're so rare.

Rad. I think the last new recent game to contain a game manual was Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens. I really miss getting games that are packaged with game manuals :( As for Vita games, I can't recall seeing any particular games contain a game manual neither

• Like 1

it's a shame.

that kind of tells me "we just put as much effort in it as needed"  - "everything else gets patched later"..

i love to see manuals and not only flyers with DLC super deluxe packages-annoucements for $$$ in it..

Off the top of my head I can only name two games which included a manual:

IA/VT Colorful

New Little King's Story

I especially enjoyed the one for IA/VT. I can't read japanese but it has such a nice layout.

One other game where i'm not so sure if it was a manual or just a small flyer showing the controls is the japanese retail of Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f. :hmm:

And as far as I'm aware the retails published by Limited Run Games also include manuals. And Shovel Knight will also have one. :D

I wonder what happened to game manuals were they swallowed up by the void? Last time I remember there being a digital manual for a game was Locoroco Midnight Carnival for the PSP.

They got digitalized so in most cases the game manual is on disc or cartridge.

Well, the fair number of physical PS3 games I own do have manuals... it's the size that varies. Newer the game, thinner the manual... they mostly include only legal-warnings-ratings stuff and the controls nowadays. Ugh.

To compare:

Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice has 30-page long manual fully dedicated to the game.

Folklore and Resonance of Fate both sport multilingual manuals nearly 40-page long... Granted, the English portion of them only gets 17 and 20 pages respectively, but still.  

Star Ocean 4 has absolutely badass 56-page long manual, with only 2 pages for the boring shit.

Silent Hill: Downpour has 15-page-long manual, with 13 pages dedicated to the game. It manages to mention everything, characters, controls, all the basic mechanics despite the measly size of the manual.

Kingdom Hearts 1.5  has 13-page-long manual, but with only 3 pages dedicated to a game itself (setting up and controls table, boring and basic) The rest is the usual ratings and warnings drivel. The pages aren't even numbered. Squeenix come a long way from the 4x-5x page long beasts to this excuse of a manual... 

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow has only a single insert detailing the controls.

It seems most digital PS3 games do not have a manual. Ni no Kuni had great one, and I remember that the Guided Fate Paradox also has sizable one included, but that's about it.

I check for a manual each time I start a new Vita game, and most of the times, there is at least a few pages included, maybe even a proper manual. But the newer the game is, the higher the probability that there will be nothing but the legal-warnings-ratings stuff... 

So... yeah.

Edited by NetEntity

Rad. I think the last new recent game to contain a game manual was Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens. I really miss getting games that are packaged with game manuals :( As for Vita games, I can't recall seeing any particular games contain a game manual neither

I really hate the fact that vita games don't have any manual or piece of paper at all on physical copies . I keep staring at the left space where it suppose to be a manual and feel really sad and thinking that that's a serious crime towards mankind  :(

• Like 1

Off the top of my head I can only name two games which included a manual:

IA/VT Colorful

New Little King's Story

I especially enjoyed the one for IA/VT. I can't read japanese but it has such a nice layout.

One other game where i'm not so sure if it was a manual or just a small flyer showing the controls is the japanese retail of Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f. :hmm:

And as far as I'm aware the retails published by Limited Run Games also include manuals. And Shovel Knight will also have one. :D

Only 2 retails from LRG for the vita, have them so far. The rest do not, pretty sure all the PS4 games form LRG do have a manual.

I found 3 more for north america. 

Disney Infinity 2.0 (37 pages spread across  English, French, Spanish, and Portuguese)

Söldner-X 2: Final Prototype (coming out soon, seen pics of the Manual)

Xeodrifter (18 pages, counting 2 "note" pages.)

Edited by bcks007