Survivalist trophy currently bugged

THE_FORCE

Just a heads up.

I've chatted to David Board (the chap who made the game) and, unlike the PC and XBox versions where you are able to quit the game, back up your save, then reload that 'safe' save if you happen to die, it's currently not possible on the PS4 version.

You have to obtain the trophy in ONE SITTING.

You can't quit the game and resume, so don't waste numerous efforts like I did as you'll probably end up as frustrated as me!

David has acknowledged there is a problem and is hoping to get it sorted in a patch.

Otherwise you can attempt the run and hope you make every jump, and pray that a glitch doesn't get you late in the game!

I don't think the Lifeless Astronaut is bugged-- I just got it.  In getting it, I read around, and I think there's just a lot of confusion about it.  So far as I can tell, there are 8 deaths required for it:

1.  Suffocation (and I think this may need to be done at the very beginning of the game, and where some people may be missing it; I'm pretty sure I'd ran out of oxygen in another part of the game, but that it's only counted for the trophy at the very beginning, so I'd recommend just doing it there)

2.  Falling to death

3.  Crushed by rolling boulders

4. Tornado

5. Bomb explosions

6. Killed by plants

7. Flower tree/Pads on ground that also "flower trees"

8. Lava

I don't believe you need to die in the fan or by the "zombie hand" in the forest.  Also, remember, after a death you need to keep playing until you reach a save point so that the death is saved into the game's internal death log-- and I think this may be where a lot of players are going wrong.

Also, regarding the Survivalist, no-death playthrough, while it appears it does need to be done in one playthrough and without shutting the game off or reloading a separate "safe" saved game, I believe there is one trick that will help a lot with falling deaths.  I'd read elsewhere that if you're about to die, you can simply pause the game and reload the last checkpoint, and that it won't negate this trophy.  Now that won't help for instantaeous deaths like being killed by plants, but I think if you've already played the game through once that shouldn't be much of an issue.  The only thing that should probably really kill you is a badly timed jump... and if you realize this is happening, before you fall and die, just pause and reload the checkpoint.  I'll be checking this out later tonight as I attempt the trophy, and will post if it indeed works.

You was lucky, I was't. But it is glitched (for some). What cause glitch - don't know even developers of this game. 

I actually think it might be reloading the game, period. I did my Survivalist playthrough right after my normal, and as soon as I left the game and attempted a cloud save I think that's what broke it (or downloading my save upon death). This caused my game to not even pop Lifeless Astronaut. I had to wipe my save and re-install the game for it to pop.

No, I did/tried first time in one playtrought (only anyway not got it).

I will repeat: it is glitched (for some, not all) not only on PS4, my friends from PC or Xbox had same problems. 

Only on Xbox possible to do Survivalist very easy (when died, quit to dashboard, then reload again game from last checkpoint, very easy doable).

And overall: I liked the game, it is good, has interesting story, But if game push us to do something in one sitting (otherwise Trophy - will not unlock), (you not able to do backup save ether) or push to do something else, this is Not normal. Especially for so simple game like this one. 

It took me several attempts to get the Survivalist trophy.  I don't think I ever needed to reload a checkpoint on the playthrough where I finally got it, so I can't confirm that the reload checkpoint will work 100%, although I believe it does (as long as it's all in one playthrough without shutting off the game).

However, I can confirm one thing that will screw with your trophies.  On the playthrough previous, I died stupidly on the second-to-last jump of the game.  I tried to jump over to a too-far platform, instead of a closer one that I forgot was there.  It took me by such surprise, that I didn't hit reload checkpoint in time until after my death.  I then tried to download the cloud save from 20 minutes previous and play on from there.  Now, as expected, I didn't get the survivalist trophy despite not having died in that "game" because I turned the game application off, downloaded the cloud save, and rebooted.  But it also blocked me from getting the Rocketeer trophy-- despite the fact that even with the extra time to replay certain sections, my entire game time combined was still less than 4 hours and all in one sitting.  So be forewarned that the Rocketeer trophy must also be done without shutting the game off.  Even if you complete the game within a straight 4-hour period, the trophy will not pop if you have shut the game off and back on.  Obviously that also means that playing half of the game one day, and completing the second half on another day, with a combined game time of less than 4 hours, will not work, either.

Now, if you're going for the Survivalist trophy it doesn't really matter, as you'll automatically get the Rocketeer trophy during that playthrough... unless you let the game sit there idle for 60-90 minutes+ while you're not touching it.  A straight run-through once you know what you're doing should clock in around 2.5 hours.  If you have significant trouble with a section or need to take a bathroom break, it could run closer to 3 hours, and if you make a lot of risky moves and really speed through it you could perhaps complete it in closer to 2.  If you need to shave time, one way to do it is to constantly hit the speed boost as you walk, because you propel faster that you walk.  This strategy will be the most helpful during the times when you have the jetpack.  Just be careful that you don't boost yourself too high and then die from a fall.  The best way to propel forward as you're walking across terrain is one or two jump boosts followed by 5 quicker bursts, and staying low to the ground.  Rinsing and repeating this amounts to a running speed for your character, and doing this throughout much of the game could probably shave off as much as 20-30 minutes from your overall run time.

Edited by FranklynStreet

I'm actually disappointed in the developer for allowing a player to reload a save if they were to die. I know its not possible yet on the PlayStation, but it will be. I have made a few attempts at the Survivalist trophy, and honestly, I think this trophy/achievement would be worth more if a player could not load any save file. Too bad...

Like Franklyn Street said in all his post. The game is not bugged or glitched, i did my Survivalist trophy on my fifth attempt and i did in less than 2 hours. I used the Last Checkpoint and still got the trophy.

And i agree with PaleMary, this should not be fixed, is not a issue, the game is short and u can make, it's not easy but it's not hard when u know all steps and when u can die in the game requires a little of paciente but still doable.

I'm very happy to made this Platinum and i really enjoyed the game and i was really angry too, when i died on the Plants or died because of a wrong jump twice missing 15 minutes to finish the game.

Keep trying and u guys will make the Platinum.

I did my Survivalist run using last checkpoint too. I read that right before you die from a fall where the screen blinks red reload the last checkpoint. 

I'm not sure if this works from dying from the plants or fire but there were three parts where I missed a jump but I just reloaded and by the end before the credits, I got Survivalist.

• 2 weeks later...

Some trophies needs to be done with a continuous run (no turn off app & not turn off PS4). Same thing with " Alekhine's gun " with the Chlorophorm trophy... But 7 hours are required with a perfect knowledge of the maps. 4 hours is ridiculous ;-). I'm gonna plat' it soon ;-)

Edit : At least Rocketeer, Lifeless astronaut, and Survivalist need a continuous run.

Edited by xav2010

• 1 year later...