Dissidia Final Fantasy

The Dissidia games were some of the best the PSP had to offer. Deep customization, fantastic combat, tons and tons of replayability and even a story mode (which wasn't THAT great but was still a joy to play through). I've been waiting for a sequel or a reboot for years now, and last year Japan got an arcade version of the game, which lacked the main plot and was focused on combat. So basically removing what was bad and keeping what was good.

Now, there have been no official announcements yet for a PS4 version, but Square Enix have released a video comparing the arcade system core vs the PS4 core during development. They've also not excluded a console edition, but it would have to be released after the arcade version. It's been over a year now, and still no news. I'm greatly anticipating a possible announcement, so that gamers from the West can also enjoy it.

How about you? Did you play the Dissidia games? Did you like them? Are you excited for a possible sequel? Would you add any characters? What should be different from previous installments?

I played the Dissidia games A LOT and enjoyed them so much as well. I didn't find any mode bad at all tbh, but I enjoyed doing things like Lv 120 Feral Chaos without getting hit, apart from that, the story mode was nothing special though I guess.

I'm highly looking forward to if/when this comes out for a console, and I will probably pick it up on day 1 release because of how much I enjoyed the games.

If I could add a character, it would definitely be my favourite character from the whole FF series, Beatrix, although I don't really know how she would play. 

As for features that should be removed? Probably EX-Revenge, I found that mechanic stupid to begin with anyway.

THow about you? Did you play the Dissidia games? Did you like them? Are you excited for a possible sequel? Would you add any characters? What should be different from previous installments?

I never realized Dissidia was a fighting game. Guess I can cross that one off my list of games to get.

I played the living crap out of the first Dissidia, even got the limited edition PSP while I was in Japan.

Back then I had a fixed group of people I used to play this with, which was amazing. I bought the second one on release, tried playing it solo and was bored as hell. It's really meant to be played with other people, so if they figure out a way to release it on PS4 with online support, I'm in. I guess they could work a bit more on the story mode, but "stories" in these character mash-ups tend to be so ridiculous they might as well abandon the idea and just focus on polishing the gameplay instead.

I played the Dissidia games A LOT and enjoyed them so much as well. I didn't find any mode bad at all tbh, but I enjoyed doing things like Lv 120 Feral Chaos without getting hit, apart from that, the story mode was nothing special though I guess.

I'm highly looking forward to if/when this comes out for a console, and I will probably pick it up on day 1 release because of how much I enjoyed the games.

If I could add a character, it would definitely be my favourite character from the whole FF series, Beatrix, although I don't really know how she would play. 

As for features that should be removed? Probably EX-Revenge, I found that mechanic stupid to begin with anyway.

Yeah, the boss fights were cool, admittedly. If they announce it, I'm going to pre-order it straight away and also pick up my copy day 1. I really don't want to know how many hours I've put into the games over the years... 

Beatrix seems to be a very respected warrior and general, so her focus should definitely be on melee. Maybe something similar to Lightning's moveset, without the Paradigm mechanic, with a slight touch of Sephiroth's moves? I haven't played FFIX so I wouldn't know.  :D  I would add Rikku. I imagine her being a hybrid of Yuna, Zidane and Tidus. 

And oh yes, definitely get rid of EX-Revenge. It's not that bad vs the AI, but I can imagine it being frustrating as hell if you're playing vs human players. It wasn't a necessary addition at all. I really dug the Assist mechanic, and the incredible amount of extra combos it opened up, so I hope they keep that. I would probably get rid of some of the Summon Stones, if those stay.

I never realized Dissidia was a fighting game. Guess I can cross that one off my list of games to get.

You're... welcome? 

I played the living crap out of the first Dissidia, even got the limited edition PSP while I was in Japan.

Back then I had a fixed group of people I used to play this with, which was amazing. I bought the second one on release, tried playing it solo and was bored as hell. It's really meant to be played with other people, so if they figure out a way to release it on PS4 with online support, I'm in. I guess they could work a bit more on the story mode, but "stories" in these character mash-ups tend to be so ridiculous they might as well abandon the idea and just focus on polishing the gameplay instead.

I never had a lot of people to play with, spent like 80% of my time with it alone which was still really fun. But I agree that it's more fun in multiplayer, especially locally. And yeah, the premise was already pretty lousy so unless they can really make it work, just drop it altogether and focus on the gameplay.

Edited by Bubblyfishes

While I only finished Dissidia with Cloud, I played Duodecim until there was nothing left to do. This was the first fighting game that I played for hundred of hours and that I am looking forward for this "sequel" with its new mechanics and characters (Ramza Beoulve was a good surprise).

I hope there will be a story mode (a convincing one of course) as well as a ton of challenges like the Labyrinth (annoying yes, but a challenge nonetheless). And even knowing this will probably be released for PS4 only, this is the kind of game that would be best on a portable console.

While I only finished Dissidia with Cloud, I played Duodecim until there was nothing left to do. This was the first fighting game that I played for hundred of hours and that I am looking forward for this "sequel" with its new mechanics and characters (Ramza Beoulve was a good surprise).

I hope there will be a story mode (a convincing one of course) as well as a ton of challenges like the Labyrinth (annoying yes, but a challenge nonetheless). And even knowing this will probably be released for PS4 only, this is the kind of game that would be best on a portable console.

I think the last two installments showed us that a story mode with mashed up characters from the Final Fantasy universe just can't be convincing or work. The game really was in its prime during the fighting itself. If I wanted a good story, I'd play other FF games. But I definitely agree that there should be a lot of challenges. I enjoyed doing the Labyrinth regardless of its difficulty.

A Vita version would be absolutely welcome and probably play like a dream, but right now, I'm really excited to possibly experience Dissidia on the big screen.

This was a great game on PSP as well as its sequel. They havent shown any villians on this trailer thou. I was looking forward to some battles Cloud vs Sephiroth similar to Advent Children xD

I didn't find any mode bad at all tbh, but I enjoyed doing things like Lv 120 Feral Chaos without getting hit, apart from that, the story mode was nothing special though I guess.

Damn, I never beat that guy :P but I liked the soundtrack during his battle.

This was a great game on PSP as well as its sequel. They havent shown any villians on this trailer thou. I was looking forward to some battles Cloud vs Sephiroth similar to Advent Children xD

Damn, I never beat that guy :P but I liked the soundtrack during his battle.

If you really do want to go back and do it, Firion and Golbez make it easy. Nightglow spamming is pretty brutal since it pulls in, and when you need to descend back to the floor, Genesis Rock spamming is the safe way to do it. 

TLDR: Golbez is stupid.

If you really do want to go back and do it, Firion and Golbez make it easy. Nightglow spamming is pretty brutal since it pulls in, and when you need to descend back to the floor, Genesis Rock spamming is the safe way to do it. 

TLDR: Golbez is stupid.

I see, I attempted this with Lightning. My PSP is almost dead unfortunately now so I hope this ps4 version will also have some secret challenging bosses like Dissidia 012. I m looking forward to spending a lot of hours with this game in the future :)

Yea... PSP game... makes sense it would be ported to PS4...

Aaaanyway, I would definitely love to try Dissidia FF. I heard many good things about the games.

It's not a port. It's a reboot, enhanced for consoles. Besides, an arena brawler-esque game of this caliber was destined to be on PS4 in the first place.

*sigh* thought it is finally a news for release date for the PS4 version of the the arcade game...

Did you play the Dissidia games? yep... both Dissidia and Duodecim my most played game during my PSP days... :3

Did you like them? more like.. I loved it...esp. Prishe, Onion Knight and Terra :3

Are you excited for a possible sequel? been excited for year(s) now.. unfortunately the waiting is starting to kill my hype :(

Would you add any characters? IIRC they added Ramza from FFT so it was enough for me... I am still hoping for Vivi though :)

What should be different from previous installments? the 3 vs 3 battle system is quite weird for me atm and when I play it, might take me some time to get used to... the stages looks very great though - my personal fave atm is Besaid Island and Alexandria... the remix of songs is quite interesting... and let's not forget the summons... have you seen Shiva? :3

Edited by JaM
  • Like 1

*sigh* thought it is finally a news for release date for the PS4 version of the the arcade game...

Did you play the Dissidia games? yep... both Dissidia and Duodecim my most played game during my PSP days... :3

Did you like them? more like.. I loved it...esp. Prishe, Onion Knight and Terra :3

Are you excited for a possible sequel? been excited for year(s) now.. unfortunately the waiting is starting to kill my hype :(

Would you add any characters? IIRC they added Ramza from FFT so it was enough for me... I am still hoping for Vivi though :)

What should be different from previous installments? the 3 vs 3 battle system is quite weird for me atm and when I play it, might take me some time to get used to... the stages looks very great though - my personal fave atm is Besaid Island and Alexandria... the remix of songs is quite interesting... and let's not forget the summons... have you seen Shiva? :3

Sorry to burst your bubble!  :P

I also loved them. Definitely my favourite PSP games. And yes, Prishe kicked so much ass! Loved knocking some sense into Tifa, my inferior punch throwing nemesis.  :D The stages look wonderful, the graphics look wonderful, and the 3vs3 system actually looks really neat imo. Imagine all the combos you could rack up together! Man, I'm hoping they announce it soon.

• Like 1

We don't technically have an official announcement for this game getting a PS4 version yet, but it's a very safe bet that we will get one eventually. The arcade game has gradually but surely been receiving new characters via updates, and presumably will continue to do so for a long time if they want to hit their benchmark of 50-or-so characters! We've seen fighting games like Tekken and Pokken usually don't get console ports until a while after the new characters stop trickling in (at least for a while), so it will presumably be a long wait for Dissidia to get a port. At the very least, I'd assume this one won't get its port until the game has the entire cast of Duodecim (or the original Dissidia at earliest) playable, otherwise this game might be received with Street Fighter V Syndrome.

Come onnnnnn, give us a traditional Black Mage! Copypaste the design from Mario Sports Mix, that design was awesome!

This is also a game that I wish will be remastered for PS4, Dissidia and Dissidia:Doudecim.

Played hundred of hours in the PSP, and I won't think twice of spending hundred of hours again playing in the PS4

The games would work SO incredibly well on PS4. So well that it's a shame that they haven't been remastered yet. Trophywise we would probably be in for a treat, considering there's a massive amount of content and collectibles.

• 1 month later...