Project Sonic 2017 and Sonic Mania announced.

Daniel_Shadow170

So this isn't generations 2 what do I call this thing?

The official Sonic the Hedgehog YouTube channel is calling it Project Sonic 2017 so I suppose that is what we should call it until an official announcement is made. 

Parker

Awesome job Shadow, didn't even know this was an event. Sonic mania looks awesome, hyped for that cause I still love the old school mega drive sonics. Still wish they would put 3 and Knuckles up on PsStore though. Need that Ice Cap zone melody to snowboard with!

If Project Sonic 2017 wont have a focus on story and character like Unleashed did, I wont like it as much. Already pissed Classic Sonic is being put in all these games now, Modern Sonic should have had his own game. After all, CS already has Mania -_-, and its all his.

• Like 2

Sonic Mania includes reimagined areas from Sonic The Hedgehog, Sonic The Hedgehog 2, Sonic CD, and Sonic The Hedgehog 3 and Knuckles, as well as brand new areas.

This is the real sonic that i love :D
Back to the rootsssssssss
I'll definitely buy it!
unfortunately I will have to wait one year lol

As a HUGE sonic fan, I can say that 2017 will be the best year for Sonic. SEGA sat down and talked:

"Titles that fans love? The first three classic games and Generations? Well then, let's give them that"

Sonic Mania is literally the old game with new levels, kinda remind me of Sonic 1/2/3 hacks for emulators, and it's more nostalgia for me ^^

And Sonic Project 2017 made my day, Classic and Modern Sonic with a new Storyline? Count me in!!!

I'm actually hyped for Project Sonic 2017, I'm Curious to see how this game's story will be and how Classic and Modern Sonic will see about Overcoming this Threat.

Probably like Generation's(?), which was really bad. Wouldnt look forward to a story with CS in it. CS cant talk, and unlike other mutes, isnt interesting enough to carry a focused story. At the very least, the story will be mediocre. It wont come close to Unleashed's story.

Some Sonic Mania music has been released or leaked. 

I'm not a huge fan of the title music but Studiopolis Zone sounds pretty badass. If the rest of the music is on par with that, we'll have a great soundtrack.

Parker 

Our friends at GameInformer had some hands on with Sonic Mania and it seems like a true return to form for the blue hedgehog. 

SonicMania06_1469195452.png

Last night's announcement of Sonic Mania was well-received by fans of the classic Sonic titles. However, this isn't the first time that Sega has promised to return Sonic to his roots. Sonic the Hedgehog 4 was the biggest attempt to bring the speedy hedgehog back to his 2D glory, but it ultimately failed to recapture that magic thanks to some strange level design and physics that never felt quite right. It's because of this and other titles that haven't been well-received that many have curtailed their enthusiasm for Sonic Mania until they can play the game themselves. Thankfully, I had that opportunity and can report that Sonic Mania plays just like the classic Sonic games it models itself after.

The pixel graphics look like a combination of the visuals from Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, and Sonic CD. Even some of the animations mimic those of Sonic CD; as Sonic bounces upward off a spring, he spins like he did in CD. Sonic's running animation when he moves his fastest reminds me of the figure-8 run from CD as well, but without his legs forming the "8." 

The demo I played had two different Zones available. Green Hill Zone is one every Sonic fan remembers from the very first game. In Sonic Mania, you go back to some of these familiar Zones from the older games, but they have updated level designs and a few surprises along the way. In Green Hill Zone, there are additional branching paths to explore and a new boss at the end. The boss I battled at the end of Green Hill Zone was two spherical robots attached with a chain. The two enemies swung back and forth, alternating between being vulnerable to attack and being in damage mode. Once I destroyed one, the remaining enemy began bouncing around the screen as I dodged, waiting for my opportunity to strike. The boss battle wasn't very difficult, but its design definitely had that old school vibe that the other parts of the game hit on.

SonicMania03_1469195440.png

The other Zone in the demo is Studiopolis Zone, a futuristic film-themed playground with springs, moving platforms, and rooms that fill up with popcorn. This Zone was more dynamic, focusing on platforming more than the speed-focused Green Hill Zone. That's not to say that there wasn't any sprinting involved in this, however. In a nice touch, as I bounced forward off of a spring, Sonic sped so fast that he outran the camera for a fraction of a second. This was always one of my favorite little things that could happen in the Genesis days, and I was so happy to see it happen again in Sonic Mania.

When Sonic 4 Episode 1 launched, the biggest issue many took with it was the weird physics surrounding Sonic's momentum. With Mania, things feel as they should. The feeling of building up and maintaining speed is exactly how I remember it from my favorite games in the series. Things like running around a loop or getting a high-speed start with a spin-dash feel fantastic.

The demo I played of Sonic Mania left me feeling better about a Sonic game before launch than I have in years. We still have a little bit to wait, however, as the game launches in spring 2017. I loved what I played of Sonic Mania, and I hope it will be worth the wait.

• Like 1

LOOOL finally there is a good reason to spend money on a sonic game :D :D

These bad and bandwagon opinions need to stop. Sonic has had plenty of great games after the Classic and Adventure series, period.

Edited by Mar
  • Like 1

Each person has their own opinion and way of seeing things, period !

Yea, these opinions where ppl base and rate games based on videos, without playing the game, and other ppls opinions.

Ive actually played most of his games after the Heroes, and it can easily be said that he still had plenty of good games after Heroes. Sure, you may not like the CONCEPT of Sonic driving a car or jetboard, but the fact remains the controls and gameplay were good and fun. Sure you might not like one of Sonic's new transformations (Werehog) and its gameplay, but for what it was, it was fun, pretty well polished, and had so much variety and satisfaction when you hit and killed things.

Aside from good sales that already supports my point, Unleashed, Colors, Generations, and Sonic All Star series were all good and fine Sonic games, games true Sonic fans (instead of the one-sided 2D fans) should enjoy. And theyre all fun, one of the major components in a game.

Its just extremely ignorant to say Sonic hasnt had a "good" game since the old days, and its really hardly an opinion, as theres no way his all his games over this decade have been bad or weak, especially Unleashed with its graphics, story, animations, among other things. Again, the only bad games were STH06, Sonic Boom, Lost World, and maybe Black Knight and STH4 (havent played either of those so thats why maybe).

Yea, these opinions where ppl base and rate games based on videos, without playing the game, and other ppls opinions.

Ahahah that's right ! i play games since 1 week ago :) have a good day..

The great thing about opinions is we can all have one and they can all be different. You may think all those games are great while someone else may hate them all and another person can like one or two of them. Nobody is "right" to anyone else except themselves. 

For me personally, after Adventure 2 the only Sonic games that I would classify as good are Generations and Sonic 4. Colors would be the closest "bad" game to being good for me, but while there were certainly fun parts in the game overall the experience fell short. Same can be said for Lost World and Unleashed, there were parts where the games felt properly great but the overall experience was let down by questionable design choices and the slowing of Sonic. 

You're more than welcome to your own opinion but someone isn't ignorant if they disagree with it. 

Parker

It's beautiful someone call me some names just because he has a different opinion!

On this topic someone call new sonic " pure shit" and he says nothing at all lol

Edited by Rose_Dark
  • Like 1

Ahahah that's right ! i play games since 1 week ago :) have a good day..

It's beautiful someone call me some names just because he has a different opinion!

On this topic someone call new sonic " pure shit" and he says nothing at all lol

Reminds me of Youtube comments. Called you some names? Really?

Because those type of people you cant have a rational conversation with and will be extremely stubborn. Its a waste of time all together. Haters, bandwagoners, stubborn, ignorant elitist you cant do anything about. Oh wait, let me play the opinion card. Now see, it doesnt matter how ppl are or what they say, because it's their opinion.

If someone thinks mudering ppl should be legal with no coincidences, its ok, their opinion. If someone thinks Gas should be $20 minimum, its ok, their opinion. If someone thinks School should become extinct, its ok, their opinion.

The great thing about opinions is we can all have one and they can all be different. You may think all those games are great while someone else may hate them all and another person can like one or two of them. Nobody is "right" to anyone else except themselves.

For me personally, after Adventure 2 the only Sonic games that I would classify as good are Generations and Sonic 4. Colors would be the closest "bad" game to being good for me, but while there were certainly fun parts in the game overall the experience fell short. Same can be said for Lost World and Unleashed, there were parts where the games felt properly great but the overall experience was let down by questionable design choices and the slowing of Sonic.

You're more than welcome to your own opinion but someone isn't ignorant if they disagree with it.

Parker

No. It is ignorant to claim games you have not played, bad, and to claim every single Sonic game after the classics or heroes, bad, opinion or not, which is the proper point, not someone agreeing or disagreeing with me. The opinion card can literally back up any argument like this, its just pathetic really because it would really end and defend an argument everytime.

Secondly, liking a game =/= a game being good, nor disliking a game =/= a game bad. Some of Sonic's later games have good game ethics. Just because you dont like a game, doesnt mean its bad. Every Sonic game after the aforementioned were not all objectively bad, but if she disliked all those games (she has not played...) then that's fine, but to claim all as bad, especially when you havent played them is ... clearly ignorant (or must I quote ignorant's definition?)

Edited by Mar