You might want to play this game if you like Super Meatboy!

MMDE

I think there's no hiding that this game is greatly inspired by Super Meatboy. After having played through every level of the game, 200 of them, I can safely say that the game is pretty damn good. The controls and gameplay is very fluid.

So what's the controls like? Well, you can dash quickly to the side. You can continuously jump to fly, a bit like flappy bird. You can of course use the directional buttons etc to control if you want to go left or right. That's it really.

Most of the time the game will have you navigate tricky levels that always find ways to mix up the game a bit. Everything from things that damage you if you touch, to them moving around in various patterns, to moving even faster. Or you got some few things that can shoot. There's unique bosses that all differ etc.

180 of the levels have easy mode where you can take a hit, but you can also do speedruns with only one life and a time to beat, or get a collectible, beat only jumping and dashing x amount of times and a mode where you gotta touch all the enemies within a very short amount of time, and even some levels where you can find secrets for unlocking some side levels and other stuff.

Is it hard? Yes, definitely hard, but so far definitely doable. I know nobody has platinum for the EU trophy list, but one does for NA. The time limit and collectible in every level have I done, so I know that's not too bad or hard, but beating each level with x amount of dash and jump might challenge me a lot more I'm afraid and also just killing every enemy in a level in a very short amount of time. It so far hasn't taken me more than like 10-15 hours. I'm guessing the plat will therefore take like 30 hours depending on how good you are.

Anyway, if you're into some serious 2D platforming, then I'd recommend this game. :)

Edited by MMDE

You take damage? How much hit points does the character have, and what's the usual amount of damage inflicted?

On easy you can take one hit without dying. On other difficulties it's one hit deaths. Instant retries of the level, and most are very short. Most levels have completion times you must meet for certain trophies of around 2-15 seconds, while some few are a bit longer like bosses that are around 30-90 secs.

In God mode, where you can kill enemies, which you do by touching them, I'm not sure you can die at all. Still, that God mode is probably the hardest part of the platinum, because you got very little time to take out all the enemies.

Edited by MMDE

You take damage? How much hit points does the character have, and what's the usual amount of damage inflicted?

Btw, I beat all levels on God mode now. The mode where you gotta take out all enemies in a very short amount of time. Still got challenge mode left, but I suspect it will be somewhat easy in comparison with a couple of hard levels. In other words, this platinum is very doable. It does require some skill and patience.

If anyone wonders, I got the platinum just fine. It's completely doable, and honestly not THAT hard at all IMO. I'd say around 7-8/10 difficulty. There's a bit of luck elements with a couple of levels, mostly just a couple of the bosses. I'm currently writing a trophy guide for the game, and is almost done with it. Compared to Super Meatboy, this game is much more fast paced and I very much prefer the controls in this game. You've also got instant retries etc. Really, I do recommend the game. I had a good time, playing it whenever I had the time until I got the platinum. The platinum takes like 30 hours. Truly, it is addicting! :)

There is a nasty bug or something, that makes some of the trophies simply not pop when they should. They seem to pop eventually (maybe, 5k deaths did for me), but there doesn't seem to be anything specific that triggers them, and it can take hours. This can be extremely frustrating, and I've only heard it reported on 5k deaths, 10 deaths, all red starts, all blue stars trophies. I highly recommend taking a backup of your save before you do the last thing required for these trophies. 5k deaths and 10k deaths aren't that important, you can always start a new game and quickly grind it out in 30 mins. I personally only had issues with 10k popping, but two other people I've talked to, who got almost every trophy or all, have said they had issues with the two other ones. The trophy might take some seconds to pop though. I highly recommend waiting at the end of the level screen until it pops. Maybe play some few more levels and wait at the end of the level screen for it to pop etc. What this also means is that you should leave an easy level for last.

Edited by MMDE

How does this compare to N++ in terms of fun and difficulty?

I was kind of put off N++ after seeing someone say it was rather boring and took upwards of 70 hours. If this is much better, I might get this instead since it's on sale at the moment

I thought N++ was great, and I still play it from time to time. It is true that it takes a good while. I put 75 hours in the trophy guide I wrote for the game, but it can be done in like 40-50 hours if you're good. Just so many levels, but you just gotta finish most of them. I'd totally recommend N++, but while playing it you may wanna chill sometimes and maybe create some levels on your own or try someone else's etc. The game has some really hard level, but not too many, and it's perfectly doable. 1200+ levels you gotta beat. There are plenty of secrets and secret levels etc you don't need to beat, which would have made the platinum 10/10 if it was required. The game has all the levels from the previous game, N+, but also included more than the same amount of new levels too. I get that some people will feel this can become a long chore if they just wanna hurry through it and get a platinum, but if you enjoy playing the game, more levels really isn't a problem.

Anyway, this game has 180 normal levels + 20 bonus levels. The 180 levels gotta be done at least 3, probably 4 times in different modes. I had a lot of fun with the game. Honestly, I highly prefer both this game and N++ over super meatboy, and one of the main reasons are the instant retries whenever you want. I also prefer the jumping, even if the jumping in N++ is a bit floaty and takes a little getting used to (though it's awesome in all the tricks you can do with it). This game is very fast paced, and the levels are rather varied. Totally recommend this game. :) It's very doable too, a bit easier than N++ I think.

My only issue with the game is that 4 of the trophies seems to be a bit buggy. What this means is that you should take a backup of your save before getting last blue star and before getting the last red star. Same goes for 5000 deaths and 10000 deaths. They seem to have issues popping when they should. They seem to pop eventually, but I'd recommend taking backup for doing the last blue and red star, and make sure the last level is easy. That way you can load back if it doesn't pop. I'm writing a guide for the game, so there's that.

Personal opinion:

N++ > Fenix Furia > Super Meatboy

:P

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

I decided to get it during the sale and tried it out for a bit, and it really is quite addicting. I only planned on playing for a couple of minutes at first to get a feel for the controls, but I ended up enjoying it so much I went through the first world twice for the collectables on my alt account.

I initially wrote it off because at a glance it looked like it was trying to copy Super Meat Boy, but the infinite jumping and dashing really set it apart from that and any other platformers I've played. I might give N++ another chance afterwards, but I'm really looking forward to Fenix at the moment, although I have a few other games I plan on playing first.

Also, the instant retries are nice, but it doesn't seem like they reset obstacle placements. So that feels like it could get frustrating if later levels require things to be in an ideal spot.

I decided to get it during the sale and tried it out for a bit, and it really is quite addicting. I only planned on playing for a couple of minutes at first to get a feel for the controls, but I ended up enjoying it so much I went through the first world twice for the collectables on my alt account.

I initially wrote it off because at a glance it looked like it was trying to copy Super Meat Boy, but the infinite jumping and dashing really set it apart from that and any other platformers I've played. I might give N++ another chance afterwards, but I'm really looking forward to Fenix at the moment, although I have a few other games I plan on playing first.

Also, the instant retries are nice, but it doesn't seem like they reset obstacle placements. So that feels like it could get frustrating if later levels require things to be in an ideal spot.

There is a button for instant retry, and that DOES reset obstacle placement! :P Just dying doesn't reset though. In N++ everything is reset either way. But yes, the way you can make the level play a bit without you making a move and without it adding to your completion of that level time does add a bit more challenge to the game. I know there was some few levels you'd be far better off waiting a half second to like two-three seconds before doing it, but usually just reset of the level and go worked well enough. It can however be a bit annoying too, but you rarely need to wait, and if you do, it's rarely more than a second or so.

But beware of the bug!! Seriously! :P I've had 2-3 people contact me on PSN about it. The red and blue star popped naturally for me, 5k and 10k didn't. Most people tell me blue star doesn't pop for them, some even red. :\ Very unfortunate! Keep one easy level left and take backup of the save before doing the last level to see if you get the trophy or not. May need to play a couple of levels afterwards before it pops. :\ But everyone I've talked to have been able to get the trophies to pop eventually, though without backed up save two of em replayed the entire game for god mode trophy. So yeah, be warned!!! I need to get that trophy guide up soon. Maybe I will finish it later today.

http://psnprofiles.com/trophy/4929-Fenix-Furia/36-With-great-power-

^ The two other guys with the trophy, they both contacted me! :P Both started all over and redid all levels on god mode, don't be the next to have to do that!

Edited by MMDE

• 2 weeks later...

Just to get a little insight into what the gameplay is like:

Mostly shows off the bonus levels, and not the actual levels, but yeah, you can get a decent idea of how the gameplay works from the video I think.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1