Resident Evil 6 reviews coming In... and it's not looking so good.

Gotakibono

Gamespot have given Resident Evil 6 a 4.5/10. Here's the link to watch the video review:

http://uk.gamespot.c...dentEvil6Review

Gamespot's review in short:

Resident Evil 6's messy mix of annoying quick-time events and constant set pieces makes it a poor caricature of modern-day action games

IGN have given it a more favourable 7.9/10, which is still a tad surprising, considering my first impressions of the game. You can read IGN's review here.

Evolution and ambition are only natural for a franchise as old as Resident Evil, as is the need to respect a long-lasting legacy and the fans that have come to appreciate it. But in trying to serve all masters, Resident Evil 6 loses focus and fails to accurately assess which of its elements are truly worthy of being included. When this game is at its height, it sets new standards for the series in every way. Unfortunately, there are no shortage of lows either, taking what could have been an excellent experience and making it something considerably lesser.

So, have the first wave of reviews put any Resi fans off purchasing the latest installment in the much-loved series?

Edited by Gotakibono

I finished Leon's campaign and enjoyed it a lot so far, can't wait to play the rest!

I enjoyed a lot of games that got mediocre reviews so i won't let reviewers decide what i should buy or not.

I would be the same as yourself in regards to making my own mind up about things, but that doesn't deter from the fact that I found Gamespot's score very surprising upon first sight; Resident Evil is one of the most recognisable, and adored franchises in gaming after all.

I never base anything off of these 'professional' reviews. For instance Famitsu gave it 39/40, but they gave the same rating to FF XIII and we all know how 'great' that game was. Since then I only trust reviews from real gamers, be it on YouTube or elsewhere.

More importantly, I played the demo and enjoyed it enough. That's all that really matters to me at the moment. Also I'm one of the 5 people on this planet that liked 5 a lot.

So yeah, I'm getting it tomorrow.

• Like 2

I watched RE 6 review from gamespot, and it sucks, I'm not a fan of Resident Evil, I just played RE 3:Nemesis and Code Veronica X that's it, gamespot made a point clear in the beginning, quick time events, but they just kept going back to it, wow really; get to a point, analyze it, move on. Don't go around something simple, of a game that took years to made, it's a good point , but it's just one, the review is not objective at all.

if you guys want to watch a good review go to the AngryJoeShow on youtube, this guy gives damn good reviews, he just hasn't done RE 6 review just yet, if you want to see an objective review just go to IGN.com

Edited by entimecago
  • Like 1

Reviews don't change my view on buying the game or not unless I'm really on the edge and not sure or the game is being panned by everyone, and I mean EVERYONE.

Already have a mate for this and we should be hitting this up in late November (that's when I'll purchase it). Hopefully, I have a blast playing this and something different, but if not I'll be happy having a cup of tea and chatting with my friend whilst playing the title. B)

It seems reviews get hung up on the fact that the game has different gameplay for each of the campaigns. After reading countless reveiws about how a game's mechanics eventually grow stale, I have to label these reviews hypocritical. Resident Evil seems to have no chance in pleasing the reviewers because they always cry out for the other way. RE5 had a weak AI, and now the improved AI reduces the fear factor since "your buddy is just around the corner". My only agreement is the darker graphics do kill some of the quality of enemies and scenery that made RE5 beautiful.

At least the reviews say the story is amazing, which has been a big flaw of the most recent games. Hopefully gameplay isn't horrible enough to kill that. Leon's campaign on the demo was a blast. Never liked Chris-styled games, so I'll just suffer through that.

i have never decided on purchasing a game based on someone else's review, mostly because nobody can write a truly unbiased review, there is always a little bit of bias in it (whether it's intentional or not). I'll be getting the game this weekend regardless of what anyone says about it, because it's ultimately up to me to make MY purchasing decisions, not a bunch of reviews.

Resident Evil used to be a survival horror game. Dead Space is the closest thing PS3 users have had to horror since.. unless FEAR scared you. I'm not going to buy this game simply because I don't support the extinction of an entire genre simply because the money isn't there. on PC, some of the biggest title in horror were made but one guy or a small group of people. I don't think horror fans require their games to be high budget, just as long as the game is scary.. or has a survival element worth mentioning. It was a bad move making RE5 an arcade action title. I do agree that RE needed to evolve to stay alive but they should have pointed more towards horror and less on the coat tails of the CoD action generation.

What Capcom IS doing though, is taking chances on a bunch of new IPs and that is something worth supporting.

In short, I wont be buying RE6 but I wouldnt turn it down as a gift

I honestly don't get all the hate heaped on this game thus far. Is it the greatest most mind blowing game I have ever played? No, not by a long shot, and it's not without its problems. It seems to have serious issues with pacing, and the "PUSH DIS BUTIN HURY OR ULL DYE" moments happen MUCH too often, but it's a solid game. Good, not great.

Just finished Leon's campaign, and I have to say I really enjoyed the whole ride, minus a few cheap and somewhat unavoidable deaths. I have to admit it's a bit disappointing to see so much effort go unnoticed or downright ignored just because the series abandoned the classic survival horror formula. There are so many strong points; the graphics are very impressive, the voice actors and overall sound design are top notch. Some of the creature designs are incredibly well done. The musical score is huge, fully orchestral and very exciting. The story is... well, standard RE fare, but the way it is told through several intersecting campaigns is pretty cool. The controls are a big step up from RE5, especially dodge rolling and sprint sliding is a ton of fun once you get the hang of it. The game is long and offers a lot of content. Overall it's just a giant big budget over the top blockbuster horror action game (with emphasis on action) with more absurd yet unabashedly fun setpiece moments than any other game I've played. If you like RE mainly because of the setting, characters and story, I don't see why you shouldn't enjoy this. But if you liked it mainly because of the scary atmosphere, suspense, slow gameplay, inventory and resource micromanagement, puzzles that require backtracking and all that good classic RE stuff, and you still expect a RE title to have these elements, then yes, RE6 is probably gonna upset you.

Edited by CloudyMemory2
  • Like 1

Reviews don't change my view on buying the game or not unless I'm really on the edge and not sure or the game is being panned by everyone, and I mean EVERYONE.

Already have a mate for this and we should be hitting this up in late November (that's when I'll purchase it). Hopefully, I have a blast playing this and something different, but if not I'll be happy having a cup of tea and chatting with my friend whilst playing the title. B)

Same here. I have it sat on the shelf ready to go this weekend for me and a RE-buddy to co-op it. Farewell RE survival horror gameplay. We knew thee well...

I'll probably wait for a price drop or Christmas or something...RE4 and RE5 were decent, just not RE games. I can understand why people are complaining about the new DMC straying from the originals, I went through the same thing when RE4 came out...but I ultimately didn't let it bother me too much. RE4 was the only PS2 game I played for years, and RE5 looked really cool...before they changed everything, like the sunstroke mechanic, and added the stupid AI partner. I get it, you want co op, but at least make the AI smarter than a board.

It does seem fairly interesting, mainly Jake and Sherry (which RE2 is my favorite RE game, and I've been waiting for her to return since after RE4), but the first trailer (the first part in particular) sold me...just not an immediate purchase.

ViciousBroccoli.png

This game is insane! I don't see a problem with it at all. It's lengthy, it has the same horror as the 4th installment and the same action as the 5th installment. The only thing that is different is the gameplay and that might have been the smartest move Capcom has ever made. Risky, but it definetly works:D

Edited by ViciousBroccoli
  • Like 2

Just finished Leon's campaign, and I have to say I really enjoyed the whole ride, minus a few cheap and somewhat unavoidable deaths. I have to admit it's a bit disappointing to see so much effort go unnoticed or downright ignored just because the series abandoned the classic survival horror formula. There are so many strong points; the graphics are very impressive, the voice actors and overall sound design are top notch. Some of the creature designs are incredibly well done. The musical score is huge, fully orchestral and very exciting. The story is... well, standard RE fare, but the way it is told through several intersecting campaigns is pretty cool. The controls are a big step up from RE5, especially dodge rolling and sprint sliding is a ton of fun once you get the hang of it. The game is long and offers a lot of content. Overall it's just a giant big budget over the top blockbuster horror action game (with emphasis on action) with more absurd yet unabashedly fun setpiece moments than any other game I've played. If you like RE mainly because of the setting, characters and story, I don't see why you shouldn't enjoy this. But if you liked it mainly because of the scary atmosphere, suspense, slow gameplay, inventory and resource micromanagement, puzzles that require backtracking and all that good classic RE stuff, and you still expect a RE title to have these elements, then yes, RE6 is probably gonna upset you.

I fully agree. Finished Leon's campaign and it was awesome. The cheap deaths didn't need to be there, but the story was basically RE 1 and 2 in the modern world (with some Hollywood action scenes spiced in). It appears Jake's campaign will be the new RE3 too, so that looks fun. With this much time and technology advances, it's unrealistic to demand the old RE play style, and this is the perfect subsitute. I'd give it my vote for GOTY, and probably best RE ever made. And I still have three campaigns to go, so it can only get better.

• Like 1

Part of me wants to buy this right now. And the other half wants to wait for the Goty/Gold/whatever it is version, if there is one, and a price drop on that before getting it.

I loved RE5 also

Each campaign is the length of RE5, and there's four campaigns. It's very worth the money to buy now in my opinion.

While I did enjoy the game, it definitely did have its flaws. I played on veteran my first time through, and about halfway through the second campaign, it started to feel a little old. The way the story is told doesn't really help much, since you know 90% of the story after playing the Leon and Chris campaigns, and very little new information comes your way. The controls took a bit of getting used to, but after you did, they feel pretty good, except for the occasional hiccup here or there, (diving forward instead of to the side, and I still can't figure out how you roll when you're on the ground, which seems to happen by accident.) And I definitely could have done without the weird way you make healing items. Even though I liked it, if I could do it over again, I probably would have waited until it went on sale before buying it.