My disappointment with the current state of the Industry

Zenpai

I think the way you wrote it is what most gamers are thinking but never knew how. I also thank you for a great post on the matter and hope others read it as well.

Pics are also very appropriate and help the topic.

Im out

i6TQUuiT5hjSU.gif

• Like 3

I read only parts of the post. It is really long and I already know what are the main complaints. UNFORTUNATELY, the gaming industry became what it is now because of gamers. People want to pay to have more content in a game, to have exclusive items (Day-1 Edition anyone? Collector's Edition?), to have a longer trophy list and be higher in rankings - because, lets be honest, online trophies are a pain when you have to face a guy who has been playing since the game was released and know a plethora of ways to kill you fast and in a humiliating way.

FORTUNATELY, it started to backfire both to gamers (PS plus used to be special, now it is mandatory if you wanna play online in a PS4 if I understand) and developers. CAPCOM already said, after Street Fighter 5, that it is only going to release a new game when it is fully complete, for instance. How long will it take for others to do the same? And how much will it cost?

• Like 4

DLC is announced months before the launch of the game or even at the same time as the bloody game itself. If you know you're going to make that content that early in advance, then just put it in the main game!

I soooo agree with this. I don't have anything against DLC as long as it's something devs come up after release of their game. The fact that nowadays DLC is announced before release of the game is just plain disgusting.

Edited by Rollers23
  • Like 2

I soooo agree with this. I don't have anything against DLC as long as it's something devs come up after release of their game. The fact that nowadays DLC is announced before release of the game is just plain disgusting.

Why? What's wrong with something like DriveClub where they release the game and then support it for months afterwards at a cost? Would you rather the game be delayed for another year or so for it to all be on disc, and for them to get no extra money for their extra work?

They do need to eat and have somewhere to live and pay bills y'know.

In regards to OP... Seriously? You're no longer going to support ANY game just because some companies have questionable DLC practices? You realize if more people thought like that, things would backfire tremendously, right? Thankfully 1 person essentially quitting gaming won't change anything.

Edited by madbuk
  • Like 1

While I understand your position and feelings and to some degree I share those same feelings this was a really long post to simply say "I'm sick of Day 1 DLC so im buying used instead" which is the more TL;DR version.

Though in fairness if we skipped the history lesson part it would have helped a lot since I would assume 99% of us here was around for the 6th Gen and id imagine even 5th (im hailing from the Atari 2600 & 8 Bit days) 

Still I wish you luck in sticking to your guns on all this and hope it all works out for you

Edited by kouen2010
  • Like 1

nice read but i did not see the other definition  of "dlc" = Disk Locked Content.

but i agree for the most part especially when they with hold content just to make a quick buck or worse yet with hold the true ending.

Now that said i do not mind REAL Down Load Content, as it is was made AFTER the games release, lets say it was a incomplete idea  and they had some funds left over and decided to finish it. or the game made enough money to warrant an expansion. BUT announcing "dlc" before the game is even released is no different than saying "hey we cut this content out of our game to sell it to you at a premium price"

It's things like these that convinced me to wait for the GOTY edition that usually follows. 

I usually do this anyway as quite a few games will get a "GotY/Ultimate/Gold/Definitive" edition

While I understand your position and feelings and to some degree I share those same feelings this was a really long post to simply say "I'm sick of Day 1 DLC so im buying used instead" which is the more TL;DR version.

Though in fairness if we skipped the history lesson part it would have helped a lot since I would assume 99% of us here was around for the 6th Gen and id imagine even 5th (im hailing from the Atari 2600 & 8 Bit days) 

Still I wish you luck in sticking to your guns on all this and hope it all works out for you

same here Atari 2600 and commodore myself, i am just a bit more cautious about what games i buy new or used.

• Like 1

nice read but i did not see the other definition  of "dlc" = Disk Locked Content.

but i agree for the most part especially when they with hold content just to make a quick buck or worse yet with hold the true ending.

Now that said i do not mind REAL Down Load Content, as it is was made AFTER the games release, lets say it was a incomplete idea  and they had some funds left over and decided to finish it. or the game made enough money to warrant an expansion. BUT announcing "dlc" before the game is even released is no different than saying "hey we cut this content out of our game to sell it to you at a premium price"

I usually do this anyway as quite a few games will get a "GotY/Ultimate/Gold/Definitive" edition

No. This is silly. They're announcing they're going to support the game post-release instead of immediately just forgetting about it and moving on. You can buy the game and really enjoy it, and they'll provide you with extra content at a cost for their extra work. What's wrong with that?

• Like 1

More like "I'm sick of all this widespread, excessive and needless DLC", but anyway, I see all of your points. Just felt like inserting that bit for better contrast between how we used to be and how we are now.

Thanks for the constructive criticism, though. Not many people bother to say what was wrong with what you did in a polite manner.

Edited by jrdemr

same here Atari 2600 and commodore myself, i am just a bit more cautious about what games i buy new or used.

Atari 2600 / 65XE, Speccy 128k +2 and Master System here :)

Though on topic, I guess im blessed in the fact that in my time I have been a game reviewer and am currently a twitch streamer so I get a fair few press keys for streaming and the like :)

Though when its out of my own pocket I do check it out first and if its a typical "You know its gonna be a GOTY / Ultimate / Gold / EX Plus α / Bobs special" then I wait for a bit

• Like 1

Yeah.That's why i usually buy games one year (or more) after their release date,so i'll get a better price and the whole content.For example, i bought GOTY Dragon Age Inquisition for 20 euros this year just 14 months after its release date.And you also have the luxury to play the games with the patches that fix all the bugs they have when they come out.Last time i bought a new game (day one release) was on September of 2013 (GTA V) and i'll do the same three years after (FF XV).Also it's interesting to check psn every week for sales.I was against digital games but sometimes it is worth it

• Like 3

Preach man. But not to burst everybody's bubbe(and im sure you all know this), nothing is going to change....

Also its the reason why I'm always one generation behind as I tend to buy games in bulk,(about 4 or 5 at once) for $40-60 depending on the game and how old/popular it is. Seriously, to think these games were once $80 each and missing content is mind boggling. This is exactly what I'm doing right now and I'm still rocking my ps3. Also I'm lucky to not like MP games that much since most servers are empty with the exception of cod, FIFA and the like. Moreover, with flash sales on psn on complete games or with the base game+ dlc, I'm basically living like a king.

If they went to fork out dlc like this and release games unpatched, etc, let them. I've got plenty of patience and in the end we're both winners here

• Like 3

Also it's interesting to check psn every week for sales.I was against digital games but sometimes it is worth it

Especially when some games are digital only :P

Preach man. But not to burst everybody's bubbe(and im sure you all know this), nothing is going to change....

Also its the reason why I'm always one generation behind as I tend to buy games in bulk,(about 4 or 5 at once) for $40-60 depending on the game and how old/popular it is. Seriously, to think these games were once $80 each and missing content is mind boggling. This is exactly what I'm doing right now and I'm still rocking my ps3. Also I'm lucky to not like MP games that much since most servers are empty with the exception of cod, FIFA and the like. Moreover, with flash sales on psn on complete games or with the base game+ dlc, I'm basically living like a king.

If they went to fork out dlc like this and release games unpatched, etc, let them. I've got plenty of patience and in the end we're both winners here

Similar to you this is why I only last week got a PS3 since its in its winding down part of its life span, plenty of cheap top quality games!

Atari 2600 / 65XE, Speccy 128k +2 and Master System here :)

Though on topic, I guess im blessed in the fact that in my time I have been a game reviewer and am currently a twitch streamer so I get a fair few press keys for streaming and the like :)

Though when its out of my own pocket I do check it out first and if its a typical "You know its gonna be a GOTY / Ultimate / Gold / EX Plus α / Bobs special" then I wait for a bit

i mostly gamefly a game unless i know it will be good

No. This is silly. They're announcing they're going to support the game post-release instead of immediately just forgetting about it and moving on. You can buy the game and really enjoy it, and they'll provide you with extra content at a cost for their extra work. What's wrong with that?

as i said i have no problem with REAL "dlc" but what they have been doing lately is mostly just cut content. can you honestly said you like getting jipped?

when you no longer get in-game rewards and almost everything is sold to you and called "dlc" that is just nickel and diming your customers and if it dose keep up people will stop buying it. At the rate things are going if companies are not careful there will be another crash.

Now to reiterate REAL "dlc" can be a good thing when done right.

on that point i remember when SNES games brand new were 80$ or more.

Especially when some games are digital only :P

Similar to you this is why I only last week got a PS3 since its in its winding down part of its life span, plenty of cheap top quality games!

Ikr! You can probably grab nowadays the uncharted series for about $15 total on ps3, or maybe even $9.99 for the last of us. Very great deals IMO. Although, I bought my ps3 in feb 2012 and I was playing at that time ps2 which I bought in about 2006/2007 don't exactly remember. Lol like I said , I'm always way behind. Not going to lie here, I tend to feel lonely sometimes or left out that my friends all moved to current gen, but I've made some friends online which kind of made up for it. There's always a drawback I guess :/
  • Like 1

as i said i have no problem with REAL "dlc" but what they have been doing lately is mostly just cut content. can you honestly said you like getting jipped?

when you no longer get in-game rewards and almost everything is sold to you and called "dlc" that is just nickel and diming your customers and if it dose keep up people will stop buying it. At the rate things are going if companies are not careful there will be another crash.

lol. No. Gaming is not just going to crash because some companies lock certain things behind DLC, that notion is absurd. There are literally MILLIONS of gamers, and you expect them all to get tired of these practices and cause a second crash?

Secondly, who are "they"? There are a lot of companies that don't nickle and dime customers. Sure, some AAA games may do it, but the vast majority of indies and even a large majority of AAA devs don't. For every EA or Ubisoft you have an Evolution Studios or Studio Liverpool (R.I.P :( )

• Like 1

Haha I was actually referring to the Canadian pricing nowadays of new games but whatever. As you know the Canadian dollar is going downhill so games in the US are $60 while in Canada it's $80 and of course the stream of income remained unchanged.