evolve vs wild (pokemon go topic)

Stargazer2600

So sometimes we all catch that one pokemon that we never see again and later we see its evolved form at a WAY higher CP. For example i caught a seel with a 20 cp and today got a dewgong at 589 cp. its obvious which one you would keep. However, sometimes its not that obvious. I have a Oddish i been giving candy to from time to time. its now at 214 but i also caught a gloom at 250. I caught a weedle at 90 but then caught a beedrill at 210. Raising your own costs alot of candy and stardust but i dont want to invest in a pokemon to evolve it to find it came out the same as what i caught or even weaker...

Whats the line on when to keep the evolved wild form vs raising your own? im not sure what to keep and what to transfer. any tips and advice?

Edited by Stargazer2600

You'll keep finding more and more powerful Pokemon the more you play the game, so investing any candy or stardust into any of your lower level mons is a waste. Wait until you find a really powerful one in the wild, then invest in that.

If you want to maximize the quality of your Pokemon, you'll need to pay attention to its IVs and moveset. If you find the first evolution of a particular Pokemon with low CP, but it has perfect IVs and an optimal moveset, it's better to keep that than a wild fully-evolved Pokemon with high CP with terrible IVs and bad moves. This is expensive, but in the end you'll have a Pokemon that's in the top percentage of Pokemon.

Optimal movesets you can find on Google. As for a IV calculator, use the following calculator:

https://pokeassistant.com/main/ivcalculator

However, if you're like me and don't really care for IVs and movesets, just use a calculator that will tell you how much CP your Pokemon will have once it fully evolves. If it exceeds that of a fully-evolved Pokemon you found in the wild, just keep the first evolution. A calculator for that purpose can be found here:

http://pogotoolkit.com/

However, do not evolve the Pokemon until you have enough candies to fully evolve the Pokemon, because you might level up and get even stronger versions of the same Pokemon.

Edited by rusty1027

i have the same question to ask lol 

So sometimes we all catch that one pokemon that we never see again and later we see its evolved form at a WAY higher CP. For example i caught a seel with a 20 cp and today got a dewgong at 589 cp. its obvious which one you would keep. However, sometimes its not that obvious. I have a Oddish i been giving candy to from time to time. its now at 214 but i also caught a gloom at 250. I caught a weedle at 90 but then caught a beedrill at 210. Raising your own costs alot of candy and stardust but i dont want to invest in a pokemon to evolve it to find it came out the same as what i caught or even weaker...

Whats the line on when to keep the evolved wild form vs raising your own? im not sure what to keep and what to transfer. any tips and advice?

but what's a baseline CP for a really powerful pokemon??? that's the question

You'll keep finding more and more powerful Pokemon the more you play the game, so investing any candy or stardust into any of your lower level mons is a waste. Wait until you find a really powerful one in the wild, then invest in that.