Disappointing

phoenix_shade

I'm probably 1/3 through the game (according to my stats) and as the title states, I'm very disappointed in this game so far. The story is just a mash up pof Dragon Quest 4 + FF10, so much so that I joke and call each character by a ff10  one. The game is plain old boring so far. Super linear, go to point A and then you cant go to point C unless you hit point B, complete some mundane task to save the town and hit the next zone.... EVERYTHING IS SNOW. When I heard at e3 how impressed people were with snow I was like ok... little did they know thats basically the entire game. I'm about to get my 6th character but what's the point when the game is so easy I never need to use more than the first 3 anyway. Weapon upgrades seem typical and boring, and the whole put one locked box in every single zone so im forced to rerun the map later thing... they did this with star ocean 5 too, it's a little overdone.

PLEASE TELL ME THE GAME GETS BETTER?

EVERYTHING IS SNOW. 

And this is why changing names of Japanese names is a bad thing. =D

The game is called Ikenie to Yuki no Setsuna.

Let's omit the fact that it's a pun because Setsuna includes kanji for Yuki (snow) and concentrate on the fact that snow is in name.

It's so important aspect of the game that it's even in name, it is obvious there would be snow, A LOT of snow.

• Like 3

I find it so similar to FFX & Tales Of Symphonia (story-wise). I personally like all the snow, because I like snowy places, but it would be nice for some variety. I find the game pretty fast-paced since it's so easy. Nothing is too difficult or tedious, but it is very linear. Overall, I like it. I don't think it's the best RPG I've played thus far, but it's nostalgic for me since it's so similar to old school RPGs. It's nice to take a break from some of the more tedious, hardcore games & just relax with something simple. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finished it, just wrapping up the Plat. I have to say I only used 3 characters pretty much all game, accessories (talismans) were pretty useless for the most part. Same with Sprite... teria . There was liek i don't know a hundred of them and I still found myself using cyclone at the end? Very oversaturated. I didn't pay any attention to fluxuation, and the in fight bonus' were meh. Absolutely no need to farm enemies for drops, so the  "kill them this way to get that" is rather pointless. 

Story was mehhhhhh

A let down when it was all said in done. 

Bring on ff15

Well I finished it, just wrapping up the Plat. I have to say I only used 3 characters pretty much all game, accessories (talismans) were pretty useless for the most part. Same with Sprite... teria . There was liek i don't know a hundred of them and I still found myself using cyclone at the end? Very oversaturated. I didn't pay any attention to fluxuation, and the in fight bonus' were meh. Absolutely no need to farm enemies for drops, so the  "kill them this way to get that" is rather pointless. 

Story was mehhhhhh

A let down when it was all said in done. 

Bring on ff15

How long was it?

Is it really 20 hours?

I keep forgetting to check my time logged, wrapped up most of the harder stuff today (lv 99) extra bosses and such.

By the way: How hard is it to implement a world map in this game? To quote James Rolfe: " What were they thinking???"

I believe the no map and such is to feel like older games. You have to listen to what people say and remember names of villages and such, it should make the game more immersive. FF7 doesn't have a world map, although just as this game you could argue the world map is when you are travelling around from place to place, you just cant see it all in one screen. 

I believe the no map and such is to feel like older games. You have to listen to what people say and remember names of villages and such, it should make the game more immersive. FF7 doesn't have a world map, although just as this game you could argue the world map is when you are travelling around from place to place, you just cant see it all in one screen. 

uh what? FF7 has a world map by hitting the select button. Much older rpgs from the snes even had world maps

What? Lol yes it does. *scratches head*

• 2 weeks later...

If I compare my stats to the one of phoenix_shade it seems like I'm at about the same point as when he started the thread, so I guess it's okay to comment on this.

I agree with the fact that the game is super linear. You more or less walk around the world counterclockwise, going from one town to another, doing more or less the same. But when a game advertises itself as an oldschool (J)RPG this is to be expected. Many of those games were linear, at least in the first half of the game. Whether it was a game like Lufia I & II, Final Fantasy IV to VI, or Terranigma, just to name a few. They all had their kind of freedom but overall they are linear until you get some transportation vehicle. I guess the same applies to I Am Setsuna. And to be fair I understand that the game has a rather linear story so far as they are on a pilgrimage to reach a specific place.

What I really dislike is the fact that some of the areas are designed too obviously and fit just right into the JRPG-cliché. Oh look, there's a save point. Better prepare for the upcoming boss-fight(s). Or those grey stone areas that are placed here and there and where I'm sure that I will have to fight some special enemies later on. What I really miss is the possibility to examine drawers and other objects to get some additional treasures... :(

What I really like is the battle system. It's basically the Chrono Trigger-system with the possibility to trigger additional effects when pressing the :square:-button at the right point. And even though I haven't understand the whole system about fluxation, singularity and those spritenites, I really enjoy experimenting with those spritenites to see which combos I can use. Sure you can live with the basic attacks given to you but I enjoy it to kill the enemies with the various elements to get their different drops.

So far I would say it's a solid game.

If I compare my stats to the one of phoenix_shade it seems like I'm at about the same point as when he started the thread, so I guess it's okay to comment on this.

I agree with the fact that the game is super linear. You more or less walk around the world counterclockwise, going from one town to another, doing more or less the same. But when a game advertises itself as an oldschool (J)RPG this is to be expected. Many of those games were linear, at least in the first half of the game. Whether it was a game like Lufia I & II, Final Fantasy IV to VI, or Terranigma, just to name a few. They all had their kind of freedom but overall they are linear until you get some transportation vehicle. I guess the same applies to I Am Setsuna. And to be fair I understand that the game has a rather linear story so far as they are on a pilgrimage to reach a specific place.

What I really dislike is the fact that some of the areas are designed too obviously and fit just right into the JRPG-cliché. Oh look, there's a save point. Better prepare for the upcoming boss-fight(s). Or those grey stone areas that are placed here and there and where I'm sure that I will have to fight some special enemies later on. What I really miss is the possibility to examine drawers and other objects to get some additional treasures... :(

Why did this suddenly raise my opinion about the game? xD

Well, on the other hand, my only peeves about the game are name, price and digital-only... xD

Don't know? Because you like your JRPG-stereotypes? ^^

No way! How can you say that to an AAA player :awesome:

BTW I'm sure you will like the ingame-models, too. The characters and enemies look like they were directly taken from Bravely Default. They are a bit more stretched, though.

Yea, I also read about the Bravely Default similarities.

• 5 weeks later...

So far I'm liking this. It does harken back to the age of snes jrpg's. Although after playing Banmer Saga, getting tired of all this damn snow lol. Haha no, I think it's pretty cool, but unfortunately I sort of get the idea that a lot of people wnet into this thinking it was the answer to the specific games it pays homage to.

I'm getting it out of the way now; this is not Chrono Trigger, it will never be Chrono Trigher, nothing will ever be Chrono Trigger. Never. Ever ever ever.

Pros

Solid battle system. I love it, it's addicting. A little complicated at first but once you understand, you can see how sweet it is. The builds you can give your characters is actually pretty deep, although perhaps a tad unnecessary.

Although the story is cookie cutter, it has great plot twists. This saves it, so far, from being unnoticed. I never quite understood why jrpg's always stick to the same tired formulas, since stories are a very important aspect of the genre. This is one such story, but nicely spiced up.

The atmosphere in the game is great. Maybe people don't like the snow thing much, but it's great at being what it is.

Cons

Confusing and inconvenient menu. How did they fuck this up so bad? Keep having to dash to snow chronicles or party to view who can do which combos, that should be readily available in techs. And having to go in weapons to see your stats, what. No actual stat section? Also technical information is vague, yet story driven descriptions for weapons and techs are like huge documents? Ugh.

Boring, uninspiring dungeons. This seems to contradict what I said about mood, but what I mean is how linear they are and how there's nothing to do in them except flip switches and crap.

Characters have huge potential, but always fall short; for personality I mean. Makin' yer characters speak like this doesn't make em' stick out much, man.

But overall I am enjoying this immensely, it holds up enough to be its own unique game. Also lol at some of the completely random references in this. Crescent Moon Wamd, Kraftwerk? Haha, genius.

• 4 months later...

I finished this last week and being a fan of the SNES JRPG days I really enjoyed this game it was what I was excepting, dull minor monsters over and over with semi hard bosses that are either meant to make you change your party around or you just keep leveling up.
Oh no a game does not have 1 billion side quests I must cry about it, There is nothing wrong with a liner game, While FFX had a function to go back there was not really any point and that game is regraded as one of the best.

The game opens up in the end just like many classic games, maybe I am just old but I rather play a game for a story then wander off for 20 hours doing side quests like finding 50 dog tags because some bounty hunter decided to go and die  which in the end gave me pointless money and a very easy way to level up.

Edited by fisty123

1 hour ago, MMDE said:

I've yet to play the game, but is it the gameplay that is bad, or the world, characters and story etc?

This is one of them titles that will come down to personal preference. There are so many reviews for both like and dislike that the game has a fan-base for both,

The game itself is not hard you face the same 6- 7 small monsters in each area until you come across a boss which midway through make you either use a strategy, change party members or just go back and level up. You then move onto the next part of the story and basically do the same thing but linked to the next chapter of the story.

The world map is snow just in the Japanese name due to this while it looks amazing there is little change beyond Snow, temples and caves, even the towns are in snow.

The characters are actually rather well done and have some plot twists the more you get into the game which tie into the story and gameplay more then some wanted. As the story advances when you meet new characters you help them out along the way and then move to the next area.
Near the end of the game side missions unlock for each character which add some backstory to each but overall I felt it was a good story.

The battle style is rather easy and until bosses you don't really have to mix much up, there is a large amount of styles you can try but I only had to change my whole structure when it came to the side quests and final boss. 

The game is linear in such that you can go back but there is not a lot of meaning in doing so until you get the typical old style JRPG device of an airship, this is where a lot of negative comments have come from, I guess each to their own but I have no issue with this.
The soundtrack is mostly done on a Piano and while it sounds amazing it can be a bit dull at times due to hearing the same sounds for epic battles and so on but again this is also a function that older JRPG systems had. 

Overall its not game of the year but I felt it a good game with a nice story and for a company who it was their first main release well there has been a lot worse out there then this, If you like old FF games, Crono Trigger, Lufia II some elements of golden sun type games then you will enjoy this but will see that the games previously mentioned would come out on top.

Once this game was out into the harsh world for a few months survey's were sent out on social media asking for feedback both positive and negative so for a team while small but backed by a bigger company has the mindset to come out and do that I can only see positive things for them in the future.

Edited by fisty123

35 minutes ago, fisty123 said:

Once this game was out into the harsh world for a few months survey's were sent out on social media asking for feedback both postie and negative so for a team while small but backed by a bigger company has the mindset to come out and do that I can only see positive things for them in the future.

I'm one of those who were super excited when I saw the dev team being announced at E3 in 2015 (I think it was 2015). It raised my hope that Square Enix is starting to realize that there's a market for these games, and that it doesn't necessarily need an as large budget as they usually pump into a lot of games lately. There's just so little for them to lose by releasing these games and so much profit to be had if it's a success. Good to see them trying to gather feedback to nail the target audience better.

• 9 months later...

I played through maybe over 50% of the game, I haven't gotten around to finishing it but here's my take:

Yeah the snow can get old after a while, but it does have some unique charm to it. The game wasn't advertised as some major graphic powerhouse, so it's not like I am going to be upset that the engine wasn't use more "creatively" to demonstrate the full use of the engine (looking at you, Skyrim). So I can forgive it for its atmosphere.

Gameplay wise... It's a JRPG. A turn based, active time battle JRPG. If you don't like those, you simply won't like the game. I love those so for me, it's fun. It definitely draws heavily from Chrono Trigger.

That's perhaps ironically my biggest complaint. It doesn't really build off of the game it's "inspired" by... That much. Like it does some new tricks alright, but ultimately I feel they could have explored more in some areas and less in others. It's a solid attempt though and Tokyo RPG Factory definitely deserves to make more games. It's not the Chrono Trigger remake or follow up I wanted, but as a game I'd give it a solid 7.5/10. If you can get it on a sale, do so. However... $40 may be a bit steep for it...