Disappointing

phoenix_shade

On 7/24/2016 at 10:59 PM, phoenix_shade said:

I'm probably 1/3 through the game (according to my stats) and as the title states, I'm very disappointed in this game so far. The story is just a mash up pof Dragon Quest 4 + FF10, so much so that I joke and call each character by a ff10  one. The game is plain old boring so far. Super linear, go to point A and then you cant go to point C unless you hit point B, complete some mundane task to save the town and hit the next zone.... EVERYTHING IS SNOW. When I heard at e3 how impressed people were with snow I was like ok... little did they know thats basically the entire game. I'm about to get my 6th character but what's the point when the game is so easy I never need to use more than the first 3 anyway. Weapon upgrades seem typical and boring, and the whole put one locked box in every single zone so im forced to rerun the map later thing... they did this with star ocean 5 too, it's a little overdone.

PLEASE TELL ME THE GAME GETS BETTER?

I don't think it will. 

the game is OK by me. It is certainly briskly paced, and combat is fun (although difficulty is uneven, and leveling is downright stupid - there is no reason whatsoever to force a player to grind levels for people who can't be in your party).

But the storyline is pretty rotten. It makes little sense to me at all. I mean, I'm no huge fan of Final Fantasy X, but at least the mechanics of its sacrifice made good sense to me. You had to train to be a summoner, and you had to do brutal combat to bring about the Calm.

By comparison, to be a sacrifice, all you have to do is draw lots, apparently. And further, anyone seems to be able to do it, and they can be replaced along the way (as shown in a small cut scene that shouldn't spoil anything) so I don't understand the need for a small party to go to the Last Lands. Why not just take an armada, and ensure that at least one person get there?

For $20, the game is all right. For $40? I think I would have been downright angry.

EDIT: Oops - necropost. This game is on sale right now, so I thought this was a new thread.

Edited by starcrunch061

On 11/28/2017 at 1:33 PM, phoenix_shade said:

lol to update, it didn't get better. It was a waste of time, and extremely boring.

Yeah, it's a little boring, but it's so fast. I mean, I'm only around 9 hours of play in, and I'm already to the final boss. The pst.org guide is just crazy with their time estimate. 40-60 hours?!?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@The_Kopite  I just finished this one.  I suppose the disappointment depends on your expectations.  Go in knowing it's short, knowing it's not so easy where you won't die occasionally, knowing there's a boatload of moves to consider, knowing the graphics are darn pretty, and knowing it's a good little game, and you'll enjoy it.

Tip for when you begin, in case you didn't know.  Initially, always equip a talisman that features a 'support spritnite bonus'.  I think that was the wording.  :)  

Edited by IntroPhenom
copied gamer
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/15/2018 at 3:49 PM, IntroPhenom said:

@The_Kopite  I just finished this one.  I suppose the disappointment depends on your expectations.  Go in knowing it's short, knowing it's not so easy where you won't die occasionally, knowing there's a boatload of moves to consider, knowing the graphics are darn pretty, and knowing it's a good little game, and you'll enjoy it.

Tip for when you begin, in case you didn't know.  Initially, always equip a talisman that features a 'support spritnite bonus'.  I think that was the wording.  :)  

Sounds like I will enjoy it! 

Thanks for the tip too, appreciate it :)

• 1 month later...

I should've responded to this thread while I was still playing the game, but whatevs.  I thought the game was a fun diversion and felt I got my money's worth.  I should note that I got it when it was on sale for half off, so that factors into my impressions.  For the most part, I thought the game was a solid title, although I have my issues with the game, which I'll note later.  The game does definitely share a similar narrative to Final Fantasy X, which is unfortunate.

Now for some of the things I don't like about the game.  My biggest complaint was with the combo attacks. There was nothing indicating which base techniques were being combined in those combo, which was incredibly annoying.  The only real way for the typical gamer to find out would be to consult an FAQ, which shouldn't be necessary.  A second thing I didn't like was how the game constantly reused assets for both its monsters and dungeons.  A number of them were nearly indistinguishable from others and left no real impression on the players, which was a shame.

On the whole, though I thought it was a solid effort by Tokyo RPG Factory and I will definitely be keeping an eye on their future titles.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

If you play Lost Sphear before this you might end up feeling a bit disappointed as it would make it seem like I Am Setsuna is a beta version. Lots of impreovements made on Lost Sphear like being able to summon the airship anywhere... the Fluxations aka Sublimations in LS is more refined... armour and weapon management is more intuitive on the other game... etc... I still enjoy IAS and perhaps the reason why LS is a lot better is because the devs have taken into account the suggestions and comments of those who have previously  played I Am Setsuna. I got the game for under £17.00 so I guess I cannot complain since I got it half the price.

Edited by Eispan
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

This was very disappointing, the kill mechanics tied to spiritnite is frustrating. I wasted so much time running around for an exact kill item until I realized just how poorly implemented the mechanics are. There's also no world map, which is a baffling development oversight when even 25+ year old Final Fantasy games have something which is mandatory for these type of games. Thankfully, there's a wonderful map in the trophy guide. I wouldn't recommend this game. 

Edited by Kamurotetsu

• 8 months later...

I'll concur with the general feeling, although I think my points are based elsewhere.

I actually liked the general setting (even if it was all snow, the map and story is quite short for it to be a nuisance) and the graphics. The general gameplay is not bad as well, even though it lacks on many levels.

What I didn't like was the story itself (pretty childish for my taste, Setsuna pretty much forgiving everyone trying to kill her 😅) and the characters (no real depth to them, I kept on skipping after a while - need to note there is a lot of text just after a save point which is quite annoying if you die).

As well as the 'hidden' mechanics. There is pretty much no explanation on how everything works (had to look in the guide or elsewhere to understand the concepts....). I only found out little before the last boss that the start button actually is useful when in battle to check applied statuses!! How the f* should I know when it's unusable anywhere else?

Would have liked some kind of bar to indicate when is the enemy's turn to act (got caught many times using a potion or skill and the second before got robbed from it), even if it was on a talisman (like enemy HP).

@Eispan appreciate the above input, should have read that before starting and put the hours on Lost Sphear instead of this one. 😅

• Like 1