Gameplay thoughts

So how is everyone finding this so far.

I must say it is a massive improvement from Riptide 2. I actually quite like the " story mode ", graphics are good and the increased upgrade system and trick options is great. Clearly a lot more race requirements ( over 300 stars ) and the inclusion of boss racers is cool.

So far I have noticed a pretty substantial increase in difficulty from the last one, anyone else ?

• Like 2

The new maps are really cool, but this game has 2 big problems.

1. The cops: They are only chasing you. This is just annoying and adds even more luck to the races

2. The tournaments: You can't actually retry an event once you cross the finish line. So you have to always watch out for the timer in elimination races or time based modes, cause as soon as the event is over, you're screwed and have to move on to the next event. What an idiotic mistake of the developers.

• Like 2

1. The cops: They are only chasing you. This is just annoying and adds even more luck to the races

2. The tournaments: You can't actually retry an event once you cross the finish line. So you have to always watch out for the timer in elimination races or time based modes, cause as soon as the event is over, you're screwed and have to move on to the next event. What an idiotic mistake of the developers.

Yeah, the cops can be annoying. I've fairly sure I've seen them go after other racers though. As for the tournaments, I believe that's the way it's been handled in a lot of games. Restart an event before it's over as much as you want but once you progress to the next one, you're stuck with your result on the previous one.

My biggest problem with the game is the slalom events. It takes a lot of the fun out of the game when you can't really do stunts or boost for fear of missing a gate. Why they replaced hot laps with this is beyond me. 

It's amazingly lenient that they let you restart the specific leg of the championship that you're on and let you quit out of it and resume from exactly where you were. Most racing games make you start from the beginning of the tournament, so it's a bit silly to lambaste the developers for such a minor thing when it's  astoundingly forgiving in the first place. 

Also as much as the cops chase you (and they are annoying) I have seen them go after the CPUs, in fact that was how I won the race against Vyper after he knocked her off her jetski and gave me a significant buffer against her. 

Edited by LunchCannon54

• 1 month later...

Yeah, the cops are chasing only the player and not the other racers. And not only that, when you pass an opponent, the opponent you passed will use boost to pass you again and when other opponent pass that opponent, then he will not use the boost. The A.I. in this game is one of the worst A.I.'s I ever seen.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

The graphics are ok and the handling is not bad, but imho the game is far worse than its predecessor

Its frustrating, and for me, a far tougher title too

On the plus side it loads up quickly and you can get some enjoyment out of some of the events

Not certain why the cops are in it as it adds nothing but annoyance and irritation and has the same effect as a large housefly buzzing around you when you trying to watch the telly. .

I enjoyed the first game and thought this would just be more of the same fun, but it isn't

• 1 month later...
On 14-6-2017 at 2:29 PM, Evertonian said:

The graphics are ok and the handling is not bad, but imho the game is far worse than its predecessor

Its frustrating, and for me, a far tougher title too

On the plus side it loads up quickly and you can get some enjoyment out of some of the events

Not certain why the cops are in it as it adds nothing but annoyance and irritation and has the same effect as a large housefly buzzing around you when you trying to watch the telly. .

I enjoyed the first game and thought this would just be more of the same fun, but it isn't

Yeah, this one is far harder than Riptide GP2.

• 4 months later...

Had to give up on this one. It's not the difficulty in itself which is a problem, just that the reasons for its difficulty are more frustrating than rewarding. Screwing up a slalom event because you were too late to turn after pulling a stunt doesn't inspire a "one more go" feel, nor constantly playing catch up during a race against an AI either bizarrely rubberbanded or ruthlessly efficient. Compared to something like Gran Turismo or Motorstorm, both difficult racers in their own right, Renegade just feels like a chore to play, even when you're winning. 

It's a shame because there's a lot of content and the core gameplay is at least as good as the original. Looks terrific for what was probably done on a budget, has some good music and those loading times are certainly very impressive. I wish it was as balanced as GP2, which had its own difficulty spikes but seemed more reliant on the right stunts at the right time and less on pixel perfect handling, drafting, shortcuts, luck and whatever else Renegade requires for a gold medal.

• Like 2