RealM722's Trophy Cabinet

realm722

wp4460398.jpgThe Dangers of Hype and Managing Expectations Before Playing Games

Happiness = Reality - Expectations

You've probably heard the formula used before - and it's not inherently wrong. One of the best examples that can be used to represent that is for those of us who enjoy sports. I've so purposefully curated the above image for this very reason. When the Big 3 Heat were the scorn of the NBA and despised by everybody except South Floridians, the expectations were very simple - championship or bust. It was exhilarating, heart-breaking, and exhausting. But those 4 years of the Big 3 Heat were some of my favorite ever in sports fandom given we were at the pinnacle of the sport, expected to be the bust, and 2 out of those 4 years - ended up proving just so. But while living up to expectations is one thing, there's also the delightful surprise of being an under-dog surprise story. Such as the Heat last year with Jimmy Butler. Nobody had Miami doing much of anything after a mildly decent regular season, but a #5 seed in the Eastern Conference is typically a 2nd Round Exit at best given they have to play the vaunted #1 seed in the 2nd playoff round, and let's be honest, it's basketball, the better teams virtually always win. But instead of that, the Heat beat the NBA-best record Bucks in an improbable 5 games. We then beat the Celtics in the ECF, and got a showdown with LeBron (now on the LA Lakers) in the Finals. As heavy under-dogs, we eventually succumbed (with injuries and all) to the superior team that had the two best players in Bron and AD. Still, taking 2 games off the champs when nobody else in the West managed more than 1 was pretty cool - and again, expectations is the key. Nobody expected that from Miami, and it led to it being one of the most entertaining sports playoff runs of my lifetime. I mean then again, the Dolphins haven't won a playoff games in 20 years and the Marlins haven't made a normal postseason since 2003 but hey still counts

Switching over to video games - a similar hype VS. expectations inner turmoil can be found. Do you get hyped for video games? Is it the AAA releases that captivate the masses such as Cyberpunk 2077, Red Dead Redemption 2, or the oh-so-infamous No Man's Sky? OR is it perhaps a bit more niche title - say Spelunky 2 or Hitman 3? I'd venture to say all those who love video games will cede to hype eventually once they've been around long enough. There's going to be a specific series that captures our waking moment and likely has us day-dreaming about it during everyday activities that we'll just keep thinking "I could be playing X game right now." You may be mapping out in your head what you're gonna be doing during your next play session. Those types of experiences get us hyped for the next game that'll captivate us in the same vein - and at the end of the day, isn't that why we're all doing this? I play video games for awesome experiences, and every adventure into a new game is hoping it'll be that next blockbuster that blows me out of the water. The trophies are added flavoring to give me incentive if I lack one - but boy when you find a game you love it's all gravy. With that being said, let's discuss 3 categorizes of games that lived up to, fell short, and exceeded the oh so evasive, hype.

Games That Lived Up To The Hype:

* Persona 5 (9.5)

* Dead Cells (9.25)

* Pyre (9.0)

* Slay the Spire (9.0)

* Horizon Zero Dawn (8.25)

Do you know how improbable this is? The first definition of "hype" on Urban Dictionary is "when someone gets excited about something". You ever been hyped for a date? A sports prospect? (cough Tua Tagovailoa) An event? The anticipation of the damn thing is half the fun - and sadly, more often than not, the anticipation supersedes whatever you were hoping for... but in those rare moments, when the stars align, that hope is completed and succeeded. That's how I feel about these 5 games. Persona 5 is a franchise I adored watching YouTubers play, but stepping into it with myself at the helm still led to a wonderful 60+ hours adventure even while knowing all of the storybeats and it not having the benefit of being able to "surprise me" as other games could. Dead Cells was a physical copy I made at Gamestop for $15 since I said "I honestly think I'll really like this given the gameplay I've seen" and made me put all other games to rest for a full 3 weeks. Pyre was a game I had on the back-burner for awhile since I knew I wanted to make it my 2,500th trophy milestone and it kept my attention for so long I kinda feel like I finished it too soon in just a matter of 1 and a half days. Slay the Spire was another physical copy I got for dirt cheap that fits in the exact same vein of Slay the Spire - and Horizon Zero Dawn is the rare AAA game on this list that I adored and it's sequel absolutely will have trouble exceding the masterful world they created in the original with Aloy. These games are not only special, they not only had me love them, but they did-so in-spite of me going in and saying "I'm going to love this" and they never betrayed me by making me think otherwise.

Games That Didn't Live Up To The Hype:

* Haven (7.6)

* Owlboy (7.45)

* Forgotton Anne (7.0)

* Coffee Talk (6.38)

I mean, the very post above this one should tell you what inspired this entire essay. It sucks when games don't live up to the hype. Whether it be me genuinely thinking Jay Ajayi was going to be the next Miami Dolphins franchise icon, or a game that you thought was going to charm you falling short... it sucks man. These aren't bad games. I refuse to call them as such, I thankfully have not had the experience of those who bought Cyberpunk 2077 expecting Witcher 3 but in the future and instead got a bug-filled disaster that was completely unplayable. No Man's Sky infamous Jurassic Park clip on YouTube. OR even a game that worked out fine and I just hated or despised what they did with the characters. For that, I'm thankful. These 4 games here are prolly some you've never heard of. Haven is a game that I just expected to offer more gameplay wise and it was incredibly lacking in that department... in fact, the EXACT same definition could be used for Owlboy and Forgotton Anne. I love the worlds, the dialogue, the settings, the characters... but if you don't have the mechanics man - what are you at the end of the day? Forgotton Anne stands out in my mind particularly for that example. I still enjoyed these games - but I was expecting them to be smash successes like the Pyre's and Dead Cells' of the world - and they didn't become that. Can you fault Precious Achiuwa for not becoming Bam Adebayo? Prolly not - still kinda stings tho.

Games That Exceeded All Manner of Expectations:

* Unravel (9.0)

* Sayonara Wild Hearts (9.0)

* The Banner Saga (8.6)

* Oxenfree (8.0)

* Beholder (7.1)

Is there anything better than finding a hidden gem? Honestly - discovering an awesome indie game is one of the best feelings you can have as someone who just enjoys good entertainment. Sure, enjoying the likes of God of War and Ghost of Tsushima is undeniably enjoyable, but you're unearthing stone that's being turned over for 8 millionth time. I watched Avengers: Endgame last month - it was awesome! But a more memorable experience for me is discovering movies like About Time or Before I Fall that you'd never even heard about and wow... when they speak to you they stick with you years after you've seen them. This category of games is that for me. Unravel is a game that single-handedly converted me from a sports gamer to a variety trophy hunter. Think about how impactful that is - it's like the Marie Kondo of games causing a complete makeover. Sayonara Wild Hearts has the greatest trophy list I've ever played, when I expected it to be a nice breezy 7/10 indie game. The Banner Saga went from "ehh this is always cheap on sale and it says it's an ultra rare that shouldn't take TOO long" to becoming quite possibly my favorite video game trilogy of All-Time. Oxenfree was one of my first dabblings after my Unravel conversion to finding a game without deep gameplay mechanics but a delightful story with fun characters that I loved, and Beholder gets credit for being so weird and different from virtually anything I've ever played through the lens of a man living under an authoritarian Cold War-regime. Need I say more?

What's the moral here? Get EXCITED for games. It's fun man - I CAN'T WAIT to play Spiritfarer and am eventually going to get it on sale, and I'm planning it for a milestone - I have seen ZERO reviews regarding it and know nothing of the gameplay, but that snippet of a trailer I saw over a year ago is still in my mind. Who wants to live life as a droning "set realistic expectations" numbskull that saps joy. You'll have stories to tell about your short-comings, such as I do with Haven and Forgotton Anne - but at least it's something memorable unlike Sea of Solitude (oooh get burned SoS small indie game no ones ever heard of unless you just played it cuz you got an EA Play subscription and played it for the easy platinum). As long as you're not a freak who'll be so disappointed game that you'll start writing the developers and actors threats online about how they came into your home and punched you in the testicles - you're reasonably attached to your gaming experiences. Hope y'all enjoyed and boy oh boy do we have a WHOPPER of a review incoming - it may be my longest one yet. Let's drop a little teaser at the end here... The Miami Dolphins Forego Popular Opinions By Expects And Draft The Great (WR) DeVonta Smith - With The 6th Pick Tomorrow. LESSGO! 

Edited by realm722
  • Like 3

On 4/28/2021 at 9:24 PM, realm722 said:

What's the moral here? Get EXCITED for games. 

This was a great post and goes to show that you should get excited for games but learn to expect that they might not be godly. I've been burned by the hype train so many times that I've started to become numb to it (Diablo 3 might have been the last major one since I picked it up at a midnight release). I use to watch a lot from the game expos like E3 and get excited for games that are barely on the story boards for development and then forget about them until they are either being released or thrown in the trash. Also, this whole patching the games after release or fixing the missing story points with DLC has started to get out of hand, which adds to the fact that it's sometimes nice to wait and see when they are released.

There was a couple games last year that I was actually hyped for, Final Fantasy 7 Remake and The Last of Us 2, and they met or actually beat my expectations. Those games have been in production for a very long time and I can't think of any for this year except for maybe RE8 that I'm looking forward to. It probably helps that I have a giant backlog of games that I still need to play that I stop worrying about newer games coming out. Don't get me wrong, I still get excited for games, but mostly from friends or others who talk about them on here rather than trailers anymore and leaned to curve those expectations.

Edited by Grotz99
  • Like 1

hue-switch-hero.jpg

Game: Hue

Analysis: I bought Hue as part of the Instant Indie Collection. Volume #4 for $2.99 way back on November 5th, 2020 - so essentially, paid $1 for it.

Listen - I've explained time and time again in the past that I purposefully go out of my way to sprinkle in 100%'s at the start of each month since it's important to have a good variety to the games you're playing. Hue fulfilled that role beautifully. The general way I played it was once I finished a chapter or two in Final Fantasy VII - I swapped on over to Hue to have a nice change of pace from the AAA magnitude of it all to enjoy a simple indie game. Essentially you play a puzzler with some platforming sprinkled in, and complete various puzzles in different sections of the world all relating to color slowly refilling the world. I picked up a color or two one day, another two the next, another two the next, etc... and it was a pretty decent time given it didn't wear out it's welcome and didn't go on too long. As someone who doesn't typically enjoy puzzle games, I'd say this is definitely more in the accessible tier than say... The Bridge OR The Swapper. I think there were maybe 3-5 times in the entire game when I had to resort to a guide video in order to solve a puzzle, so the game gets brownie points for that. Once I beat the game, I waited awhile till I finished up some other games, and came back to it on May 3rd to scoop up all the collectibles I missed. You're likely going to need to do the same clean-up if you play it as some levels contain collectibles that are unobtainable until you have the full array of colors. I didn't hate replaying levels I had already conquered so hey that's another bonus in it's favor eh? All in all, I got it for a $1 given the 3-game package it came with - and that is well worth it for the experience it offered. There is a story!... I just don't remember much of any of it. There's this girl that goes on long-winded spiels after you pick-up each color. I honestly tuned her out and don't remember an ounce of what she said. I just know there's a... reconnection with his mom at the end? I'm sorry, if you've read this post you probably have more of an affinity for tolerating long-winded gasbags than I do so maybe the story will land with you more than it did with me. I completed the 100% for Hue in 2 weeks and 6 days, achieving the 15.41% rarity 100% completion. 

Panda Score: 6.25 / 10

On 5/3/2021 at 0:47 PM, Grotz99 said:

This was a great post and goes to show that you should get excited for games but learn to expect that they might not be godly. I've been burned by the hype train so many times that I've started to become numb to it (Diablo 3 might have been the last major one since I picked it up at a midnight release). I use to watch a lot from the game expos like E3 and get excited for games that are barely on the story boards for development and then forget about them until they are either being released or thrown in the trash. Also, this whole patching the games after release or fixing the missing story points with DLC has started to get out of hand, which adds to the fact that it's sometimes nice to wait and see when they are released.

There was a couple games last year that I was actually hyped for, Final Fantasy 7 Remake and The Last of Us 2, and they met or actually beat my expectations. Those games have been in production for a very long time and I can't think of any for this year except for maybe RE8 that I'm looking forward to. It probably helps that I have a giant backlog of games that I still need to play that I stop worrying about newer games coming out. Don't get me wrong, I still get excited for games, but mostly from friends or others who talk about them on here rather than trailers anymore and leaned to curve those expectations.

Yea... I'm fortunate enough that I can say I have rarely if ever been burned by jumping on the hype train for a game. Even at E3, since I know I wait for games to go on sale 99% of the time - if it's good, I'll know about it! and if it's bad, I'll have dodged the derailed train as well. Honestly, the closest thing I can think of was when No Man's Sky was nearing release I did a lot of research on it from it's subreddit to reviews because the concept of traveling through space and discovering randomly generated planets fascinated me... phew am I glad I never got on that plane. 

and absolutely! I 100% find myself getting more hyped for games thanks to recommendations from friends or peeps who write reviews on here than the general typical hype of a big-time trailer. Having the testimony of someone else to support how great a game is definitely better footing than letting your mind run wild with what a developer might be able to do. In terms of games I've hyped for? Not really any AAA releases at the moment, but some indies - Spiritfarer, Neon Abyss, Monster Sanctuary, One Step from Eden, River City Girls, Civilization 6, Tropico 6, The Pathless, Wandersong, and Yonder: TCCC - all waiting for the proper sale to snag 'em up. 

But I noticed you mentioned Final Fantasy 7... speaking of which.... WOO BUDDY do I have a review for y'all. I don't wanna tease my longest ever but ya boy has A LOT to say. 

• Like 3

What a great review of the game, both the good and the bad.

I have been a fan of the FF VII since the demo disc came out for PS1. I happen to be on the side of the fence that also really enjoyed the Remake and the direction it went. i actually do not mind that it break new ground. Now the specters to me are like the guardians of the time stream. We have gone multiversy, if that is a word. I think there is some awareness too from the characters. Some of the premonitions, are actually memories of this happening before in the first game. What the Avengers did in Endgame to rewrite history is what Sephiroth is doing now. It is an interesting way to me to diverge from the source material. 

Speaking of which, I would love to tell you all of your burning questions but I actually do not want to spoil it for you. My opinion is to play the original. Then when part two comes out you can see how it is changed up. It will not take you long to get past Midgar, in that version you can get past it in 9 hours. Although to me it is still the best section of the game. IF not I guess if you DM me I can answer some of what you want to know or just wait for part two. On a sad note, I am disappointed PS4 players cant get the extra chapter. 

• Like 1

Is there a Pulitzer for random gaming blog reviews? If there is, you get my nomination.

I am definitely in the camp that played the original 5 times at least and loved the remake. Of course it had some little nitpicky flaws, but what game doesnt. As I said it was a rare day 1 purchase for me and it beat my expectations. It's platinum currently sits on the top spot in my trophy cabinet for a good reason.

Reading through your post I kept thinking that the answers to your questions are so simple and if we were talking in person it would be hard not to spoil something. It's like if someone watched Star Wars episode 4 for the first time and lived on the moon not knowing how the rest of the story unfolds. But looking at these games through the words of someone who is going on that journey for the first time is exciting. I'm not sure if you are willing to wait for the next chapter of the remake or just play the original, but that wait is going to be legendary if you stay spoiler free. Midgar is awesome, but wait until you see more parts of the story unravel, locations you'll visit and characters you meet.

To vaguely answer some of your questions, some of those things you got glimpses of were not from the original game (or they barely came up). They added some things to tease the ff7 veterans about missing back story.

I cant wait for the next part to come out, not only to play it myself but to see what you think. ?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

What a great review of the game, both the good and the bad.

I have been a fan of the FF VII since the demo disc came out for PS1. I happen to be on the side of the fence that also really enjoyed the Remake and the direction it went. i actually do not mind that it break new ground. Now the specters to me are like the guardians of the time stream. We have gone multiversy, if that is a word. I think there is some awareness too from the characters. Some of the premonitions, are actually memories of this happening before in the first game. What the Avengers did in Endgame to rewrite history is what Sephiroth is doing now. It is an interesting way to me to diverge from the source material. 

Speaking of which, I would love to tell you all of your burning questions but I actually do not want to spoil it for you. My opinion is to play the original. Then when part two comes out you can see how it is changed up. It will not take you long to get past Midgar, in that version you can get past it in 9 hours. Although to me it is still the best section of the game. IF not I guess if you DM me I can answer some of what you want to know or just wait for part two. On a sad note, I am disappointed PS4 players cant get the extra chapter. 

Yes! Absolutely believe Aerith knows more than she's letting on, but it also may be a spotty memory that prevents her from divulging more to the rest of the group. and as for your second point I appreciate it hahahah. I'm really conflicted as to whether I wanna play the original now. I utterly adored this game, and prolly wanna let it sit for awhile so I forget a few things - but I've seen the original on sale for $8 on a number of occasions - and it has a fairly decent platinum rate. The only thing holding me back is I'm not sure if I wanna be influenced in the same way so many die-hards have been. I think it's awesome you enjoyed it, but I honestly went into it expecting it to be a 7/10 experience given how much backlash I heard from long-time fans. I know playing the original would fill in A LOT of details but we'll see... if we get a timeline on when FF7 Remake Part #2 should come out before the end of the year, I'll prolly hold off. But if it gets stuck in development hell I may just commit to basking in the original since it would give me my fill in the meantime. 

11 hours ago, Grotz99 said:

Is there a Pulitzer for random gaming blog reviews? If there is, you get my nomination.

I am definitely in the camp that played the original 5 times at least and loved the remake. Of course it had some little nitpicky flaws, but what game doesnt. As I said it was a rare day 1 purchase for me and it beat my expectations. It's platinum currently sits on the top spot in my trophy cabinet for a good reason.

Reading through your post I kept thinking that the answers to your questions are so simple and if we were talking in person it would be hard not to spoil something. It's like if someone watched Star Wars episode 4 for the first time and lived on the moon not knowing how the rest of the story unfolds. But looking at these games through the words of someone who is going on that journey for the first time is exciting. I'm not sure if you are willing to wait for the next chapter of the remake or just play the original, but that wait is going to be legendary if you stay spoiler free. Midgar is awesome, but wait until you see more parts of the story unravel, locations you'll visit and characters you meet.

To vaguely answer some of your questions, some of those things you got glimpses of were not from the original game (or they barely came up). They added some things to tease the ff7 veterans about missing back story.

I cant wait for the next part to come out, not only to play it myself but to see what you think. 1f601.png

Hahah thank you, and that makes me really happy that someone who adored the original also loved the 1st part of remake as much. I honestly think I enjoyed it to the point where the remake part #2 for me will achieve Day 1 purchase status, which hey - that's exactly what Square Enix / Sony were hoping for when they made it free for PS+ Users. ?

and I love the fact you enjoyed a more strange perspective regarding one of the biggest video games of all-time haha. I know I'm far from the only one who prolly made this their first experience with a Final Fantasy game but playing a game, being remade for modern audiences, KNOWING that legions of fans would be hanging on every detail as they devoured every morsel of the story from 20+ years ago must have been such a daunting task. It really excites not knowing what's in store. But I could also see the fun in playing the original after loving the remake, and thinking "holy crap how are they gonna make X area even greater and grander like they did with Midgar". As I told KingofBattle I'll prolly wait for a bit since the game is still very fresh in my mind but I can't wait to see where it goes next. 

and thank you for the reply! I imagined as such - I know I had heard something about "Sephiroth doesn't even show up for oh so long in the game whereas he appears far more often in flashbacks in the remake" so they did a lil altering on that front, but from my perspective... of course they did that. Even though I know who Sephiroth is because DUH, he's video games BAD GUY, imagine not seeing him all the way until like Chapter 16 and then you fight him at the end. Would have felt super weird. The things that most left me perplexed was 1) why was Tifa part-timing at Chocobo Sam's ranch with that cowboy outfit lmao and 2) I 1000% thought the Zack character was Cloud's potential alter-ego where he didn't dye his hair blonde. I'm gonna ASSUME that's wrong because that seems dumb - but the have the exact same swords!! I can't imagine how goofy that must read as someone who knows all the answers but enjoy my child-like innocence of the story haha. We'll both be anticipating the following release greatly, HOPEFULLY before 2022 ends. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, realm722 said:

and thank you for the reply! I imagined as such - I know I had heard something about "Sephiroth doesn't even show up for oh so long in the game whereas he appears far more often in flashbacks in the remake" so they did a lil altering on that front, but from my perspective... of course they did that. Even though I know who Sephiroth is because DUH, he's video games BAD GUY, imagine not seeing him all the way until like Chapter 16 and then you fight him at the end. Would have felt super weird. The things that most left me perplexed was 1) why was Tifa part-timing at Chocobo Sam's ranch with that cowboy outfit lmao and 2) I 1000% thought the Zack character was Cloud's potential alter-ego where he didn't dye his hair blonde. I'm gonna ASSUME that's wrong because that seems dumb - but the have the exact same swords!! I can't imagine how goofy that must read as someone who knows all the answers but enjoy my child-like innocence of the story haha. We'll both be anticipating the following release greatly, HOPEFULLY before 2022 ends. 

We are both pretty much in the dark on Zack as his story wasn't really in the original, it's one of the things we got a glimpse of that I hope they expand on. If you do pick up the original, you could try to do a side by side, but the gaps would be big. Midgar is 6-10 hours of the original and you'll know exactly when to stop, although you would need the will power to. ?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Grotz99 said:

We are both pretty much in the dark on Zack as his story wasn't really in the original, it's one of the things we got a glimpse of that I hope they expand on. If you do pick up the original, you could try to do a side by side, but the gaps would be big. Midgar is 6-10 hours of the original and you'll know exactly when to stop, although you would need the will power to. 1f601.png

Yah I agree, his backstory is only a small bit more filled out in the original than say Biggs of Wedge. There is only one small bonus area if you visit his hometown with one character in your party, and even that does not give any real extra info. I do look forward to see where they go with it. 

@realm722 - This a fucking blisteringly well done review mate - and, honestly, from someone coming at the remake from the exact opposite side (I lived and breathed Final Fantasy growing up, and loved Final Fantasy VII with a passion and fervour that should not be legal), it's gaddamned fascinating to me!

I cam into this remake knowing every single detail of the original - I even replayed the entire thing again a month or so before release, just to get back in the swing, and honestly? I think the Remake is outrageously good. I think if they keep this quality up, it will end up being far and away better than the original - and I'm hoping they change as much as they feel they should, purism be damned!

The original will always be there for the folks who want it, but I don't think I've ever encountered a remake - in any genre - that strays so far from the original, without ever once actually deviating from what made it great, and it's incredibly gratifying to see someone with no prior FF experience loving this game it with the same passion I did!

Frankly though - even if you and I didn't agree quite so very much, this would remain a fantastic piece of writing, and I hope you continue to do more reviews like this one. ??

(but take a rest in between - you'll get carpal tunnel otherwise ?)

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

H2x1_NSwitchDS_Minit.jpg

Game: Minit

Analysis: I bought Minit for $3.99 back when it went on sale in mid-April 2021. I had heard of the games thanks to a Joseph Anderson review on it.

It's a nice little game man! That's the nicest way I can summarize it - it's unique quirk that makes it distinct from most indies is the fact you're essentially playing on a clock all of the time. You have your different homebases scattered across the world that are your safe zones. You have 60 seconds to complete whatever task you need to complete, you die, and then you get sent back to that homebase. Inherently you may wonder: "isn't that stressful?" Hell yea man. You can pause the timer but if you're going in 100% blind you're gonna be experimenting with a lot of failure in terms of figuring out where you need to go. Thankfully, due to the tight time, that means that accomplishing tasks in order to progress are incredibly short - and there's no great twist that lets you freeze time or juggle a mechanic to extend the clock. Due to how short the game is, with a guide you can earn the platinum in an hour. There's a number of collectibles such as coins, items, and tentacles to scrounge for as well as a unique "minimalist/complete the game in 25 runs" trophy that I recommend getting out of the way to enjoy the rest of the game since it's really not that difficult. After you completed everything, you need to complete a "2nd run" that limits the clock to 40 seconds, but ultimately you don't even need to end up fighting the final boss again to complete the game so it's incredibly straightforward. I earned the 49.33% rarity platinum in 2 days and 1 hour.

Panda Score: 6.3 / 10

On 5/7/2021 at 2:32 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

@realm722 - This a fucking blisteringly well done review mate - and, honestly, from someone coming at the remake from the exact opposite side (I lived and breathed Final Fantasy growing up, and loved Final Fantasy VII with a passion and fervour that should not be legal), it's gaddamned fascinating to me!

I cam into this remake knowing every single detail of the original - I even replayed the entire thing again a month or so before release, just to get back in the swing, and honestly? I think the Remake is outrageously good. I think if they keep this quality up, it will end up being far and away better than the original - and I'm hoping they change as much as they feel they should, purism be damned!

The original will always be there for the folks who want it, but I don't think I've ever encountered a remake - in any genre - that strays so far from the original, without ever once actually deviating from what made it great, and it's incredibly gratifying to see someone with no prior FF experience loving this game it with the same passion I did!

Frankly though - even if you and I didn't agree quite so very much, this would remain a fantastic piece of writing, and I hope you continue to do more reviews like this one. ??

(but take a rest in between - you'll get carpal tunnel otherwise ?)

Hahaha thank you for all the love man. I'm very relieved to hear that I didn't miss the mark in my praise for it. I went through your gaming catalogue and to see that you have the platinums in 7, 7 Remake, 8, 8-2, 10, and 15 just boggles my mind. I definitely have an itching to try out a few of the other ones just because of how much I enjoyed 7, though I honestly have had very positive things about FF4 and FF6. I saw they're available on steam for $15 but have deviated away from the original pixel art. I guess it's a testament to 7 that they released the original even on modern consoles for it's preservation but damn if I wouldn't like to experiment with some of the older games before they want on to knowing how grand they'd be with each installment. 

8 minutes ago, realm722 said:

I definitely have an itching to try out a few of the other ones just because of how much I enjoyed 7, though I honestly have had very positive things about FF4 and FF6. I saw they're available on steam for $15 but have deviated away from the original pixel art. I guess it's a testament to 7 that they released the original even on modern consoles for it's preservation but damn if I wouldn't like to experiment with some of the older games before they want on to knowing how grand they'd be with each installment. 

To be honest, given that your love affair with FF is beginning with VII, I’d definitely recommend going for 6 over 4 if you are going to check out some of the older ones.

Not just because 6 is better (I’m of the opinion 6 is the best one of all, so I’m a tad biased there!) but more because of the setting and tone.

The tone that makes FFVII what it is, is definitely rooted in a sensibility that was born in FFVI - the cyber-punk-esque machines with magic style stuff.

4 is much more in line with previous ‘wizards, magic and ernestness’ style high fantasy - still great, but a very different type of great, and one FF has virtually abandoned now (with the exception of 9, which was very much a throwback to those older ones)

If you can get a hold of the psone classic version, it has the original pixel art (or close enough), or a snes emulator will get you there too of course! 

But really, I’m not quite as much of a purist as others - the new visual treatment is a bit wierd, but the game’s so good, it will still hold up as great with either visual treatment.

I replayed most of it on ipad at one point, (visual update version) and it was good even there.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

2626154.png

Game: Enter the Gungeon

Analysis: I got Enter the Gungeon for free thanks to the "Play At Home 2021" Initiative by Sony during the latter portion of the month in March 2021. 

WOW this game is frigging awesome and all-consuming. It has devoured all of my play-time for 2 weeks straight, and I come to you all on the other side with good news.

Gungeon is a roguelike. That means that a run can range anywhere from an extremely swift 25 minutes to a little over an hour if you go through each chamber or level, very methodically. It is a bullet hell. Your reflexes are going to need to be on-point in order to win (though there are a handful of items that make the quick reaction time factor completely obsolete). Let's get this point out of the way as early as possible - I LOVE roguelikes/lites. I own physical copies of Dead Cells and Slay the Spire - two 9.0 tier games for me that I view with extremely high esteem. Wizard of Legend, Risk of Rain 1 AND 2, and Children of Morta are two other games that also achieve the vaunted 8.0 tier for me. I WISH Faster Than Light got a port to Playstation 4, since it's the only game I have 70+ hours on Steam and utterly ADORE. I'm a big fan of the genre, and even ones that I haven't dabbled in (Spelunky, Binding of Isaac, Rogue Legacy to name a few) are games I know plenty about. So that's why I need to preface the future of this review with how my perception going in man have been clouded. Gungeon was always in the secondary tier of "I bet it's great, it seems super frigging hard though with how fast some of the bullets fly, and I just don't know I wanna put in all the time to play it in order to get good at it." I had seen it multiple times on sale for $7.49, and passed each time... until of course - it became available for free. I had already knocked out 3 games for the month of May... so I figured what the heck, let's dive - and I took the plunge on Gungeon and never looked back. Let's walk through the experience.

The Scared and Not Knowing What You Don't Know - I had seen on a few posts here and there, others also got the game because it became available for free. They said the platinum was easier than expected! That made me slightly optimistic, but I knew I had to get my reps in with play-time before I started exploring them. This is how my 1st run ended, a noble attempt as the Hunter - sadly dying to what I believe to be the hardest 2nd chamber boss in Ammoconda. I found the game difficult but fair, when you're first discovering each new enemy type you're going to take crazy amounts of damage, and given you start with 3 hearts allowing for 6 hits before dying unless you can heal - that means you're going to be dying A LOT. For awhile, I floundered about in chamber #3 - seemingly unable to break through that ceiling of just losing too many hearts on the way to ever get to some of the proper challenging portions of the game. This is normal. I remember barely being able to survive the Ramparts in Dead Cells, or never making it to the 2nd boss in Slay the Spire and always dying early. Finally - a break-through, on my 17th run, I managed to get all the way to the 4th chamber. Slaughtered by the hands(or better said - bullet sprays?) of The Wallmonger. But it appeared I was finally turning a corner, as for on a fateful evening, on the 25th attempt, all thanks to the guns Crestfaller and Laser Lotus - I had climbed the mountain-top. I remember cackling at the idea of the Dragun busting out pistols and a rocket launcher but the fight was so high-energy I managed to have my adrenaline carry me through to victory. I felt great, I had been making tons of process towards unlocking a bunch of NPCs, flipping tables, whittling down miscellaneous tasks, and I had heard about a special character named Bowler that completely flips the game on it's head - let's talk about him. 

Bowler Breaks The Game - So who the heck is Bowler? He's this adorable fella. In order to have the chance to unlock him, you need to beat the game once normally. But after you do that, you have the chance of being able to free him from his cell and have him join you in the breach. There, he gives you the option of Rainbow Mode. What's Rainbow Mode? Yanno how you had to carefully plan how many keys you had, use them on the appropriate chests, and care for that resource so you maximized the items/guns on a play-through? Well throw all that out since in Rainbow Mode, on each level - you get a chest that gives you a selection of 8 highly rated items or guns. You pick one - and it's yours to keep. This helps minimize some of the RNG of runs and make them more consistent. The lesson? BE WARNED - once I activated this, I NEVER turned it off again. Think of it as a way to "juice" your runs, and much like in baseball - once you get started it's very hard to stop yourself. Sure, it didn't turn every run into a golden one, but damn it sure helped. I don't believe whatsoever it "ruined" the roguelike element - but it did make it easier, and I found myself picking weapons and items I love over and over again when they became available, simply because I knew I would have a lot of success with that selection. In fact, let's dedicate a little time to disclosing what items and guns I personally loved the most.

RealM722's Top 6 Favorite Guns:

#1. Vulcan Cannon (900 shots of glorious rapid-fire damage, I picked this one EVERY time it was available to me)

#2. Gungine (800 shots of damage, similar to Vulcan, just unloads every clip in your arsenal on the enemy)

#3. Dragunfire (Super good at dealing wide range of damage, also sets enemies on fire)

#4. Laser Lotus (Only 150 shots but does great damage - tried to hold for bosses / strong enemies)

#5. Gunther (Takes awhile to get going but a planned run with it is an ease cuz of the infinite ammo)

#6. Glided Hydra (My personal boss-slayer, 50 shots, but it's how I beat Chamber #6 thanks to this bad boy)

Bonus Nominations: Trident (loved it's look and length of range), Crestfaller (gun on my 1st win), Yari Launcher (nukes bosses), & Particulator (projectiles lock-on to enemies)

RealM722's Top 6 Favorite Items:

#1. Clone (upon death, start back from the beginning with all items/guns in-tact - AMAZING for stacking a crappy run and getting a 2nd life so-to-speak)

#2. Super Hot Watch (if you have a good gun, it's an auto-win. You can weave in and out of difficult attacks with ease by just going slowly, removes reaction-time problems)

#3. Fat Bullets (reduces size of ammo capacity but makes your projectiles so much easier to land)

#4. Riddle of Lead (just is a general awesome pick-up and should be had at every turn if there's nothing obviously better on the table)

#5. Liquid Valkyrie (made Boss Rush mode a breeze for me since it slows down enemy bullets by 20%, you feel like you're playing on easy)

#6. Cat Bullet King Throne (prolly just an item I love but removes gaps from being a pain for fall damage and makes bullets spawn upon dodging)

The Grind of Getting Everything - So I beat the game once, and now I unlocked Rainbow Mode. What did that mean? I got the privilege to beat the game over and over again - all while working towards something. Maybe it would be achieving one of the specific unlocks needed to unlock the chamber shortcuts via the elevator (most pretty straight-forward since once again, Clone makes these SUPER easy), I got the remaining ingredients needed to create "The Bullet That Can Kill The Past" and beat the game that way, thus unlocking the ability to kill the past for other characters aside from the Marine. Here's a stupid run where I managed to unlock all 5 Master Rounds in one-go. Shoutout to the Vulcan for being absolutely legendary. All the while I chipped away at all the various tasks, the difficulty of the game started vanishing. It would take time, no doubt - I wasn't going to play the game in a matter of days but I could see progress being achieved. I took advantage of Winchester's mini-game every chance I got, cheated the first two times thanks to flying items - and the 3rd time did it on a legit attempt to pop the trophy! I won the bets against the snobbish king. I unlocked all the Cartographer's maps. I even started making some head-way on some DLC trophies by unlocking the Robot and Bullet. Here's the run where the stars aligned and I beat the 6th Chamber after unlocking the past. I only won cuz of the Super Hot Watch. I personally recommend playing as the Robot when possible since with each junk he gets 5% stronger and well... yea. Rainbow Mode means he's even more broken. One of the more trickier elements for me was killing the Resourceful Rat. He had such a complex route to him(since it's random for each player), and given I had only unlocked 5 of his notes (the 6th I must have gotten while being in RM which means I never got it) and that meant guessing on the maze. I eventually got it - and here are the results. That also happened to be the exact one where I got the weird egg and fought the Advanced High Dragun. All that I had left was Frifle's Challenges and while those were a bit annoying to grind (took like... 120+ extra runs in order to kill all those specific enemies on specific levels like the Lead Maiden's and Golden Skeletons) - I had achieved everything there was to achieve in Gungeon trophy-wise.

Reflection Time - I think my biggest compliment to the game is this - it's really easy to just play for a few hours every day. I watched SO many movies while playing it. 15 in total. Just because it was so easy to put something on and zone into the game. The gameplay feel is so nice being invulnerable during a dodge roll but still needing to be precise with your roll since you take damage once you hit the ground again. I think you could have your complaints about not enough variety - since towards the end I 1000% had memorized a number of room layouts, but I was also playing the game a crap-ton for 2 straight weeks - I can't fault the game too harshly for that. Asides from just reflexes, being able to enter each room on a whim, quickly assess the enemies, and doing damage control on what you need to attack first (sometimes you wanna go for the big bad enemies even if they have predictable attacks since they're so deadly) and SOMETIMES you'll wanna attack the simpler bullet-kin since they're more of a wildcard than a predictable big boy attack you can easily predict where to step out of the line of fire. For example, I attacked the spiders first in every room since I ALWAYS struggled to avoid their attacks. Your style may differ. OH - and before I forget, I thought the boss fights were frigging awesome. In fact - let's do a quick rank system of those shall we.

RealM722 Ranks Every Boss in Enter the Gungeon:

Chamber #1: Gatling Gull, Bullet King, Trigger Twins (Gatling Gun is the hardest but most engaging fight, King is difficult cuz of that AOE random one, and Twins suck)

Chamber #2: Gorgun, Beholster, Ammoconda (Gorgun is the easiest but most felt like a dance, Ammoconda is way too chaotic and I sucked at it the entire game)

Chamber #3: Mine Flayer, Treadnaught, Cannonbalrog (Mine Flayer just has a super cool design, Treadnaught is tricky cuz of extra enemies, Balrog sucks cuz invulnerability)

Chamber #4: Kill Pillars, Wallmonger, High Priest (Pillars is the easiest but again felt cool weaving in and out like Gorgun, Wall is super tough, Priest is just alright)

I can't say much more than I already have. I loved my time with Gungeon. Is it my favorite roguelike? No - I still prefer Dead Cells since it's the one I fell in love with and Slay the Spire for a more technically thought-provoking game that didn't have me zone out, but Gungeon is absolutely in that tier of games. I strongly recommend it to anybody who's willing to dedicate time to a game and learn it's mechanics.... and if you're worried it's way too difficult and you can't be perfect for 30+ minute runs - don't worry. There's a save feature at the end of every level you can exploit via iCloud saves to keep amazing runs in-tact if you have a bad room. I sure as hell exploited it. I prolly should have mentioned that earlier but hey, that's on you if you thought I was above using loopholes like that.  All in all, I earned Enter the Gungeon's ultra rare 4.39% platinum and even rarer 2.03% 100% completion in just 1 week, 6 days - making me the 42nd fastest achiever of the 100% according to PSNProfiles. Not bad at all I say! I enjoyed the journey but now it's time to get back to trying out a variety of games.. where to next? Hmm...

Panda Score: 9.1 / 10

Spoiler

Enter the Gungeon Thoughts:

• Starting on May 10th… let’s see if the game really is one of the best rogue-likes out there, I’m skeptical
  • Hah I like how the tutorial guy is literally “Seer Manuel”
  • WOOHOO survived the 1st bird boss with virtually no damage at least
  • Welped died on the 2nd chamber, Ammoconda boss - oh well
  • Welp died on the 2nd chamber again, this time to Gorgun with the Marine
  • I avenged Manuel and killed Blockner in Chamber 3, too bad I died on the boss
  • WOOHOO! We finally beat a 3rd chamber boss, now on to the 4th chamber
  • WE BEAT THE FREAKING GAME LETS GOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
  • After an entire day of crappy runs, I had the magic run come together. Managed to master both chamber 1 and 2, enter chamber 4 with max health, get to chamber 5 with 3 1/2 hearts, and then on the final boss took down High Dragun thanks to Laser Lotus and Crestfaller, LETS GOOO MAN! Also delivered 2/4 of the materials for the gun to kill the past!
  • AAAAAAND I got my 1st ending! Got the Marine true ending thanks to the dragunfire gun + fat bullets which made my attack range frigging gigantic, I even PERFECTED the 5th fight vs Dragun which is nuts and got the master bullet, rewind fight wasn’t that hard either so woo!

i stopped updating after this since I got so comfortable in it I didn't feel the need to keep taking notes - but yea!

Edited by realm722
  • Like 3

og_image.jpg

RealM722 Presents 7 Games He'd Commit a Minor Crime for to Have Ported to Playstation Consoles

Playstation is a pretty awesome console. I mean - at least I think so. While debates of PC v. consoles aren't nearly at the forefront of the video gaming zeitgeist as it may have once been (I mean, you still see it but arguing with these people is pure foolishness) - there are still some points to be made with regard to the debate. I prefer console. I like turning on the game and just playing. I understand how there can be an appeal in having an over-whelming selection of games thanks to Steam and the Epic Games Store, many attained for free - and that you can tweak settings ever so slightly to make these gorgeous games even more gorgeous at a higher framerate. That's all fair and true. I'm just satisfied with what I've already got though man, and that extra ceiling to achieve 4k resolution at 120 FPS while surfboard roller-blading my custom built $4,000 computer on my Nvidia 3080 graphics card that quite literally is rarer than a white elephant - ain't the sorta life I wanna live. That doesn't mean I don't have some feelings that make me wish the Playstation 4 (or 5 - I mean, I've been trying to get a PS5 since like January man. This has been my reaction every time I've tried, and failed when refreshing Walmart/Gamestop/Target) - had a wide ranger of selection. Let's talk about some games I wish were available for us plebeians. 

header.jpg?t=1619047247

(Hades) - Explanation: I'm very upset Hades hasn't come to consoles yet. OR it has - just for the Nintendo Switch. The amazing people over at Supergiant Games signed an exclusivity deal for the 1st year with the Epic Games Store as the game was in Early Access. I'm glad they did it, making games is risky and I understand wanting the stability of a big entity to support you. That being said - MAN I WISH I COULD FRIGGING PLAY AFTER HEARING ALL THE LOVE IT HAS RECEIVED. It's won Game of the Year from major gaming organizations as seen in it's little art piece on it's Steam page, and man - THEY DON'T DESERVE IT. I progressively loved each SG game after the next and have the reviews to prove it. First with Transistor, ranking as an exceptionally high 8. Then Pyre, which utterly blew me away as a 9.0-tier game that currently ranks as my 5th favorite game of the entire Playstation 4 generation. Finally, there's Bastion which for their first effort still scored a respectable 7.0-tier. So you're telling me - the guys and gals over at Supergiant - decided to make a ROGUE-LIKE? MY FAVORITE GENRE OF GAME? and I've just had to shield my eyes every time it's been mentioned and raved about since I know I'm going to utterly love this game... I just haven't had the fortune to play it yet. Why doesn't it rank higher up the list? Supposedly it appeared on the Korean Ratings Board in mid-May of this year. That means a release is somewhat probable for 2021, and why my long-awaited most anticipated game will finally be within reach. I'll give y'all a little spoiler - if, and when - this game comes to Playstation consoles - it WILL be in the 9.0 tier and is a HEAVY favorite to finish as Game of the Year.

header.jpg?t=1617099203

(Planet Zoo) - Explanation: I don't think I've ever mentioned this on here, but some of my absolute FAVORITE games to play on PC back in the day was the "Zoo Tycoon" franchise. We're talking early / mid-2000s. Planet Zoo is a spiritual successor to those games. I would adore being able to return to my roots and just chill constructing my masterclass of Zoo, completing various achievements as they come in order to pop some trophies, and yea just hanging out in something that I enjoy a bit more than a city builder (no disrespect to a game like Cities: Skylines, I enjoyed that as well - but Zoo games hit just a bit differently). My hopes aren't very high that'll it come to PS4, on one hand - the same developers, Frontier Development DID release Planet Coaster on PC in Nov. 2016 and ended up releasing it on PS4/PS5 in Nov. 2020 - so there's always hope that in a few years they may decide to do the same with this franchise but that'll likely be a lengthy wait if it were to ever come to fruition. We can certainly hope though - and it's not as totally bleak as some of the entries further down this list.

header.jpg?t=1589331288

(Into the Breach) - Explanation: I saw Joseph Anderson (my favorite anime YouTuber/Twitch Streamer) play a bit of Into the Breach quite awhile ago and the game stood out in memory as a very engaging strategy game that you can akin a bit to chess. It's a cube-based grid and not something that would typically draw me in, but given they're the makers of... the other game you can see in their little art clip there, I want to play whatever Subset Games creates no matter what genre it is in. The sad reality though is - I NEVER expect Into the Breach to come to consoles. Hell, they basically had to have their teeth pulled in order to release it on the Nintendo Switch. They don't seem to care whatsoever for the console-market and are purely PC-focused. :/

header.jpg?t=1616227115

(Dicey Dungeons) - Explanation: Oh hey, another roguelike. You should know I have a type by this point, reader. I'd be lying if I said I knew much about it but given the fact it's #1 most recommended game if I happen to like this is Slay the Spire - I imagine that bodes pretty well for it's company. Funnily enough, what stands out in my most about it is hearing about the time "The Witness and Braid" developer Jonathan Blow, raged at the game because of rigged RNG allegedly. I too would love to have the privilege to get mad at a game because of bad luck, too bad I CAN'T since it's not available on PS4. Do I have any slight hope it can come to console? Debatable. The creator, Terry Cavanagh - does have one other game "VVVVV" available on the Playstation Vita - but that adaption was over 6 years ago and Dicey Dungeons was released in 2019. It's plausible, and not as hopeless as Into the Breach - but I wouldn't hold my breathe waiting on it either. 

header.jpg?t=1612897638

(Ori and the Will of the Wisps) - Explanation: I mentioned the sequel simply because it's the most relevant but you could also throw Ori and the Blind Forest on here as well as a combo-package. This looks EXACTLY like my kind of game. Beautiful environments, controlling a whimsical character with wonderfully fluid movement, and just enjoying the atmosphere of a game as your ears perk up at the soothing soundtrack. Too bad it's an Xbox exclusive. The developers over at Moon Studios managed to do what the entire infrastructure of Microsoft otherwise failed to do so - make me kinda envious I don't own the most modern Xbox to play one of their games. I pretty much scoffed at their past stuff like Gears of War, cuz hey, checkout my entire gaming history bud - not exactly my lane. Even as Bethesda with it's assortment of games doesn't really tickle my fancy, but if you told me I could have a specific series come on down, make peace between both console conglomerates, and have a game from Xbox brought over to Playstation? I'd take Ori's two games over the rest of the field combined. 

header.jpg?t=1612959923

(Persona 4 Golden) - Explanation: This is a goofy one. You're reading this, likely slouched in a poor posture (I say this to HELP YOU my friend), and are saying to yourself "this moron doesn't realize P4 Golden was on Vita FOREVER before it got ported over to Steam". I KNOW THAT. I DON'T OWN A VITA. I have 0 need to "game-on-the-go" and it's not a very appealing way to enjoy games for me. What I would like though, is a remastered version for the modern Playstation consoles. Given how Atlus has brought us Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remastered, I don't feel like this request is as far-fetched as it may have once seemed. Is it likely? Prolly not. Given the way they operate, it's more likely they milk Persona 5 far more in the form of Royal and Strikers than decide to give us a modern enhancement of the ones die-hards allege is "way better than P5". I've seen an entire play-through of it. I don't agree with those people. But I'd still like to play it myself, and have a juicy platinum to go along with it. 

header.jpg?t=1589331228

(Faster Than Light) - Explanation: If you gave me the legitimate offer of "you can have all 6 of the previous games brought over to Playstation or JUST Faster Than Light" - I'd prolly still take the former since that's an easy 200+ hours of game-time I'd be able to dedicate to the others but dammit if I wouldn't think twice about it. Faster Than Light was my 1st rogue-lite. It is the game that made me realize "holy crap I love the ability to have slight variations of runs that can be both great and awful depending on my ability as well as a bit of luck" before I even knew the term "rogue-lite" was a thing. I own the game on Steam, 1 of only 3 games I own. I have 82 hours of games played on Steam. 81.3 of those hours belong to Faster than Light. I haven't played the game consistently in I wanna say 5-6+ years, and yet - I own 38 of the possible 51 achievements. Yes, that's right - I WAS AN ACHIEVEMENT HUNTER BEFORE I EVEN REALIZED IT. I used to give Unravel Two credit for making me fall in love with trophy hunting, and abandoning sports gaming for variety gaming - but Faster Than Light was the Demon's Souls to that Dark Souls revelation. But I have to concede - it is more likely that the Miami Dolphins will win a Super Bowl than Faster Than Light getting ported to Playstation consoles. As I mentioned in the Into the Breach explanation, the two dudes over at Subset Games just don't care for consoles. It breaks my heart but it's the truth - if by some miracle, FTL were to ever get a Playstation release, PLEASE call me an ambulance - I'll need it to pick me up off the floor after I'll have passed out from happiness.

So yea! There ya go everyone... just a lil list I felt like putting together. No Nintendo-exclusive games but uhh.. I guess Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing would be nice?

• Like 1

Similar to your sentiment on a prior page, I am also not good about replying to people in my checklist that take the time to respond. I also don't take enough time to read other checklists and am just catching up on yours. I'm glad you loved FF7R as much as you did. I really feel the same way about it. I know it wasn't for everyone, but it was everything I was hoping for and more. I echo @Grotz99 with how hard it is to know a lot of the answers to the questions you had in your review and not say anything lol I played the original more hours than I care to admit (I had three of every master materia...which will mean something to those that played it lol). If you have the patience, I'd be curious for you not to play the original until FF7R is complete however I could totally understand not having that kind of patience considering SE's track record for getting games out in a timely manner.

@DrBloodmoney is right on with his recommendation to play VI. It is also my favorite game of all time and is definitely worth the time investment. While the SNES version is better than the PSOne port, you get the gist in the port. I want to say you could also play the game on your phone if you just need something to kill time.

Gungeon was also one of my favorite games I've played recently. It took me longer to find the Rainbow dude than you...I think I had cleared the game with each character before trying it, but like you once I went rainbow, I didn't go back. One of my favorite guns was the BSG. I liked how it would clear out a room and I found it very useful in the later levels. We've been playing a lot of the same games lately so we've both been having a pretty good run of good games! Keep up the great reviews!

• Like 2

On 5/26/2021 at 10:49 PM, Briste said:

Similar to your sentiment on a prior page, I am also not good about replying to people in my checklist that take the time to respond. I also don't take enough time to read other checklists and am just catching up on yours. I'm glad you loved FF7R as much as you did. I really feel the same way about it. I know it wasn't for everyone, but it was everything I was hoping for and more. I echo @Grotz99 with how hard it is to know a lot of the answers to the questions you had in your review and not say anything lol I played the original more hours than I care to admit (I had three of every master materia...which will mean something to those that played it lol). If you have the patience, I'd be curious for you not to play the original until FF7R is complete however I could totally understand not having that kind of patience considering SE's track record for getting games out in a timely manner.

@DrBloodmoney is right on with his recommendation to play VI. It is also my favorite game of all time and is definitely worth the time investment. While the SNES version is better than the PSOne port, you get the gist in the port. I want to say you could also play the game on your phone if you just need something to kill time.

Gungeon was also one of my favorite games I've played recently. It took me longer to find the Rainbow dude than you...I think I had cleared the game with each character before trying it, but like you once I went rainbow, I didn't go back. One of my favorite guns was the BSG. I liked how it would clear out a room and I found it very useful in the later levels. We've been playing a lot of the same games lately so we've both been having a pretty good run of good games! Keep up the great reviews!

Hahahah thank you man - and yea... honestly, haven't sat on it some more - I have the potential to have a very unique perspective of experiencing the FF7R without any influence from the original, and I think I wanna stick with that. I absolutely do want to play the original one day given how much I loved the 1st in the series of remakes, but that game is so iconic I don't think I ever have to fear it one day not being available for modern generations - plus I can always try out other Final Fantasy's as you mentioned! I'll keep my eye on the horizon with 6. 

You know it's funny - typically when I enjoy a game I'll do a little digging of it on YouTube just to see if there's any funny videos or such with regard to the "meta". Gungeon's peak popularity was naturally 2-3 years ago when it was at the forefront of the rogue-like wave and it is hilarious how much stuff I just bypassed en route to many hours to the platinum. I barely even used BSG just because I didn't like how low ammo it had. I didn't know you could kick the explosive barrels and hit them with a bullet to make them explode while rolling onto enemies. Goes to show you what you can overlook even after playing a game for so many hours.

and yesss! In fact, you got the head-start on me on another super tough game I've been wanting to platinum - Jotun! I've been quietly monitoring your progress and holy crap man... you frigging killed it, you got rid of all the hardest trophies and are 1 away from the platinum. Kinda giving me the inspiration to go for it myself since I just bought Spiritfarer($20 from the same developer) but wanna play their original title before moving onto that one. I'll get around to it by mid-June given there's a few other games I wanna play first but hope when you post the review on your checklist you can leave a few tips ;) 

8 hours ago, realm722 said:

and yesss! In fact, you got the head-start on me on another super tough game I've been wanting to platinum - Jotun! I've been quietly monitoring your progress and holy crap man... you frigging killed it, you got rid of all the hardest trophies and are 1 away from the platinum. Kinda giving me the inspiration to go for it myself since I just bought Spiritfarer($20 from the same developer) but wanna play their original title before moving onto that one. I'll get around to it by mid-June given there's a few other games I wanna play first but hope when you post the review on your checklist you can leave a few tips ;) 

I'm all but done with it. I left one collectible so that I can pop the platinum on Monday....however I really like the platinum trophy and was thinking of saving it for platinum 150. I'm getting close, but it was a super fun and very challenging game so I wouldn't mind making it a milestone. With all the games I'm set to pop on Monday, that'll put me at 145, so I could hold of on the platinum for a short while....I'm looking at other games I have that might be milestone worthy before I decide. I found the trophy guide was very good for this game. They video's give you a good idea on how to tackle some of the bosses, however there is just enough randomness in the battles to where they aren't an exact science. The first three Valhalla boss battles took me about an hour or so of practice before I was familiar enough with what to do to beat them. The last three bosses battles took between two and three hours of practice to beat. I'd say Jotun is up there with Catherine as far as my most challenging games I've gotten the plat for. It's a really cool game and I really like the art style of the graphics. I hope you enjoy it!

• Like 1

maxresdefault.jpg

Game: The First Tree

Analysis: I bought The First Tree when it was on sale for $1.99 back in mid-April 2021, and it marks my 100% completion for the month of June.

The First Tree gave me exactly what I wanted out of a 100% completion. It didn't over-stay it's welcome whatsoever. It wasn't a pretentious slog like Dear Esther. It also wasn't so mind-numbingly boring like Beyond Eyes that I just wished for the experience to be over. It's prolly the 2nd best 100% of the year thus far behind Octodad - and that's just fine with me! The mechanics of the game can be summed up super easily. You play as a fox, but unlike a game such as Goat Simulator (which will be platinumed in July, heads up everybody!) or Maneater (which will be platinumed when I get PS5, aka November 2023),  you don't really do many fox-like things other than... double jump? There's no eating animals. There's no raising fox babies. In fact, you could play the game as a human and it'd be exactly the same. But that's aside the point - the dialogue in this is pretty good! The two people speaking are Joseph and Rachel, with the former relating experiences he had growing up in life and scuffles he had with his father, and their overall relationship. Rachel will have a bit where she talks a bit about her own life, but she's largely playing a support role to Joseph's larger narrative of feeling like a fox and inter-acting with moments in his memory across the 6 levels. Is it winning my narrative of the year for 2021? Of course not, I'm just not one of those gamers who finds deep feeling in these sorta games - but I'm also not a jerk who's gonna make fun of it. Here's where I'll mention the coolest detail in the entire game. About 90% of your focus will be on collecting stars, which are a collectible in this game. They're missable - so use a guide (I used this one), and at the very end of the game - you can carve a message into a tree that a heavily moderated team will sort through, and if they find it appropriate enough - will show your message to other players when they reach the end of the game. The catch? Your message being how long is dependent on the # of stars you collected. That's pretty cool! Y'all will never see my message though, I put "I miss you.... Heat in 7." WHOOPS - sorry to ruin the emotional impact-fulness of the crescendo of your life-slaving work, developers

Nah but forreal - pick it up for $2 when you get the chance for the easy 100% and leisure experience. I didn't even realize it, but due to following the guide and taking 0 breaks, I ended up earning the 24.78% 100% rarity in just 1 hour and 54 minutes, making it the 2nd fastest achievement time to 100% on PSNProfiles. That's pretty damn cool considering I wasn't even aiming for that! Plus, I even got side-tracked and completely ignored two missable trophies involving catching rabbits in the 1st chapter (which reveals a pretty funny easter egg btw). But yea, aside from The First Tree, I feel like I'm in a very good place with the way my profile has been tracking this year. I've played some absolute bangers in 2021 including my #1 favorite game of the generation and have generally avoided many duds... that is until, this next game I'm going to touch on. You could say it's a steep-fall off from some of the better experiences this year... perhaps a, chasm? (heh) 

Panda Score: 6.3 / 10

• Like 1

H2x1_NSwitchDS_DesertChild_image1600w.jp

Game: Desert Child

Analysis: I bought Desert Child when it was on sale for $4.79 back in mid-April 2021, and wow - talk about a neat little niche title!

Before talking about the game specifically - I thought I should disclose how I find titles such as these. Whereas a lotta people out here typically stick to the mainstream games (Uncharted, Resident Evil, most games published by Ubisoft or EA) - I tend to like go off the beaten path and try and find some indie gems that haven't even really been talked about much by YouTubers or Twitch Streamers. How do I do that? By having an account, and meticulously sorting through websites such as PlatPrices and PS Prices. Each time a major sale drops, I like to leisurely take my time sorting through each page to the background sound of 80's Japanese City Pop (Check out Anri's Timely!!! (1983) or Junko Yagami's COMMUNICATION (1980) when you get the chance!). I sort through and "hide" games I know I'll never have any interest (shooters, games that look unbelievably cheap OR have atrocious trophies) and dig a lil deeper on ones that catch my eye. These will largely be very cheap games with a platinum in the 15% - 30% range, OR ones with a particularly eye-catching art style that make me pause and say "damn... that actually looks pretty good." I don't always hit it out of the park, and have had duds that weren't all that enjoyable - but let's talk a lil about Desert Child since it is one of my success stories!

First of all, what the hell is the gameplay of Desert Child? Good question! I had no idea going in either. Basically, you have the option between "races" on a hover-bike to do various activities around an open world. in Chapter #1, on Earth - these options are basically non-existant. You race, can either eat/sell power cells/repair bike and that's it. But when you to get Chapter #2, on Mars - you'll have a number of different locations to wonder about in. Initially this will seem intimidating - at least for me it was, But you'll quickly realize there's only 2-3 things to do in each zone, with most of them being 1-off miscellaneous trophies you pop once and then never look at again. That's the game! It at it's core has this unique racing mechanic where you're firing shots tryna make TVs explode to collect... points I guess? Listen, here's the thing. This platinum has ZERO business being as rare as it is. The game plays more like a 40% platinum than a 20% platinum. I personally mostly got C / D-ranks on all races and by the end of the game had like 180k due investing so much in the bank an committing crimes to get up to the rarest Pablo Escobar rank, that is so easy to attain when you realize you can pay X-Wray to protect you from the police. Other trophies involve buying multiple newspapers / beans to collect them all but again, none of this is challenging - and I managed to get all the trophies done in just 1 day and 1 hour to earn the 20.14% rarity platinum. 

But don't get it twisted - I didn't just enjoy this game just because it was short, sweet, and had a nice relatively rare platinum. Check out the frigging soundtrack man! This game was made by one man (Oscar Brittain) and damn if it isn't a cool passion project! Granted, there's a huge difference between being able to pick up the game for $5 vs. $20 as a full experience but c'mon man - I loved how different it was, just letting you cruise about the world on Mars seeing different settings, a fairly basic racing / shooting mechanic that while I never mastered was pretty fun and engaging given races only lasted around 2-3 minutes. I didn't even quite grasp all the mechanics surrounding the power cells and modifying your bike and it didn't even matter. Pick up the game when you get the chance because it's well worth it and even if it isn't your cup of tea, the platinum can be attained in 4-5 hours with the helpful guides of it found on PSNProfiles and TrueAchievements. Desert Child is just the latest example for me why you can't just trust in Metacritic to tell you if a game is good or not. Do your own research!

Panda Score: 6.95 / 10

• Like 3

wp3928073.jpg

5 Games Who's Sequels I Have Absolutely 0 Desire To Ever Play

Sequels and remakes. Depending on your tastes, you're either that guy who loves when something is iterated upon and will gladly enjoy a 9th film in the Fast and the Furious franchise and beg Nintendo to reboot any of their many dormant IPs (Chibi-Robo would be mine), or you'll be that person who decries Hollywood's obsession with re-making something great from the past in modern times and moan about gigantic game franchises going back into their vault and try to re-create the old magic since they "lack the originality to make something new." I don't really fall in either camp. I don't hate sequels or remakes. I tend to like them most of the time. Even if I end up not caring for the new product, in no way does it diminish the original for me. The worst case scenario for a reboot/remake/sequel for me is I'll just not watch it. Fuller House? No thanks. Literally any of Disney's recreations of Mulan, The Lion King, and Aladdin? I've personally never seen them dawg. Who am I to stop a corporation from printing money? So in a different sorta twist, let's explore a game of sequels to games who's originals I've played, that somehow, failed to convince me to want to try their latter installments. 

Life is Strange 2  S272269.png

Explanation: I love the original Life is Strange. I know it's kinda weird to say that given I scored it a 6.6 / 10 on my review of it back in Oct. 2020 but it is distinctly unique in the way it completely captured my attention when it's original released different episodes over many months all the way back in 2015. I remember each episodic event being a release, quickly huddling to my laptop when my favorite YouTuber was going to upload their reactions to the latest madness and just to see the sharp twists and turns the game went through from originally being mellow-dramatic affairs amongst teenagers at a high school to huge sweeping ramifications that would impact an entire community. But... sometimes, magic cannot be recreated. I believe that's the case for the LiS franchise. If you're on a part of the internet with a lot of herbs (Reddit, Twitch) you'll find a lot of "Life is Cringe" comments. I can't exactly say they're wrong, some of the dialogue is clench-your-teeth worry, but I adore it nonetheless. Still, when I tried to watch ChristopherOdd's first few episodes of LiS2... I... kinda felt like those people ripped the original game. I was critiquing the dialogue. The floaty graphics. The over-the-topness of it all. I've moved past these times of games, but I hope those who still enjoy them bask in it, since there's not enough of them out there.

Patapon 2 Remastered S2e1fec.png

Explanation: My journey to platinuming the original Patapon was documented in Mar. 2021. I'll sum it up briefly - it was a nightmare, at least until I realized the correct rhythmic beat and started playing the game with headphones on. I still enjoyed my time with it, it wasn't a miserable slog, but by the time I was done with it I specifically told myself to write "never get the sequel, even if it's on sale for stupidly cheap like $2 or $3 dollars, you don't want to put yourself through that again." This is despite the fact it appears the sequel is a decent bit easier with a platinum rarity percentage of just a hash under 18% (though the game is prolly just as tough - just the sequel has far fewer owners which means mostly dedicated fans are strictly playing it). Basically - I'm glad I played the original, it's a Playstation classic, but I feel like the 2nd game is just asking for seconds if you enjoyed the first. I'm full, thank you very much. 

Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom S606abf.png

Explanation: I am not an RPG guy. That's a strange statement given the fact the Final Fantasy 7 Remake is literally my favorite game of the Playstation 4 generation, and Persona 5 is my 2nd favorite game of the generation. Improbably, the original Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch presently sits in as my 23rd favorite game of this era(yea it released on PS3, whaddya gonna do, get the generation police after me?) I appreciate gigantic sprawling worlds with turn-based combat and lovable characters you get to hang out with over the course of 60+ hours here and there as opposed to all of the time. I mean, I'd prolly only complete 10-15 games a year if they were all RPGs. So that means that my judgement when it comes to games with some massive time investments is more critical than it is with games in the 5-20 hour range. Hence, despite the fact I love the art style - I'm gonna give my rapid fire 3 reasons why NNK2's sequel, despite the fact I loved the original, doesn't quite make the cut. 1) THEY REMOVED FAMILIARS???? I thought familiars were A STAPLE of the franchise and instead... they just dumped them in favor of small colored creatures named the higgledy? Yikes. 2) The main character looks like a buster. Evan or whatever? He has cat ears, and can't hold a candle to Ollie-boy. 3) It's just such a huge time investment man. Even the fastest 100% achievers complete the game in just under 2 weeks. I'd have to pace myself with it and at the moment I like having one game at a time gain all of my attention. Maybe if I can drip-feed it like I did with CrossCode and FF7 Remake at the start of me playing it, I could make it work.

Valkyria Chronicles 4 S303b4f.png

Explanation: This is a funny one. I platinumed the original Valkyria Chronicles in August 2020. I enjoyed it! It was something completely different from what I normally played, clearly had a ton of love put into it by the developers, and initially tryna scrap by with my own wacky WW2 tactics - only for me to then enter the 2nd play-through grind and obliterate everybody with Alicia was fun if a bit deflating knowing that 1 girl scout could destroy the anime equivalent of the Third Reich. My final thoughts with the game were a much kinder version of the way I finished Patapon 1 - something along the lines of, "I'm really glad I got to play a cult classic some niche Playstation fans rave about, but if VC4 just more of the same, I'm good and satisfied bud." The game is presently on sale for $12, and that's a steal given you're talking about 50+ hours of content if you had a good time with the original, but... I'm good man. The trophy guide lets you know it's not too difficult at all with how trivial some things can become by save-scumming, but seeing again that S-ranks are solely based on how many turns you can finish the battle with, as well as full-on grind elements of collecting 100% weapons, decorations, tank parts, etc... I enjoyed the first game in the series, the fourth game is for the die-hards, and that's where I check out.

Dragon Quest Heroes II Se1f817.png

Explanation: Ahahahahahahaha. I don't know what I'd have to be offered by someone in order to get me to play Dragon Quest Heroes II: The Bigger The Grind Boogaloo. I wouldn't try and plat the game for $50. You'd probably have to go as high as $5,000 to be honest. I'm not bothering with this game for less than $2,500. I'm not kidding. Do the math. THIS IS A 200 HOUR GRIND. IF YOU'RE ONLY PAYING ME $1,000 I'M MAKING $5 AN HOUR THAT WOULD MAKE YOU LIABLE TO GET INVESTIGATED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF LABOR. I hated the original. I remember within the first 5-10 minutes going "oh wow.... this... is the game." I got the physical copy for $5 thanks to a 4 games for $20 deal at Gamestop, I managed to get Batman: Arkham Knight, Final Fantasy XV, Uncharted 4... and needed a 4th game. The original Dragon Quest Heroes was that game. I used to hate it. I still do, but I used to too. @Cassylvania needs to be put in a mental institution and taken away in a straight jacket for embarking on this journey. I remember thinking the original was unbelievably droning with spamming the same damn bow attacks from Bianca and running around the entire map looking like a bunch of morons tryna chase down metal slimes while grinding towards level 99. Fighting those Beilal's hasn't left my mind. It's all just such an unpleasant blur from when I platinumed the original in May. 2019 that it's hard to believe I enjoyed so many great games in-between this poo sandwhich. I'll go on the record - I will NEVER play another Dynasty Warriors game with the skin of an exquisite Japanese franchise... except for Persona 5 strikers. I'll grind that to the bone just to hang out with my boy Ryuji again. 

Well that was fun! If I write enough articles like this, I'll eventually have written an entry on every major PS4 game without having needed to play/platinum/review them all. 

Edited by realm722
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, realm722 said:

@Cassylvania needs to be put in a mental institution and taken away in a straight jacket for embarking on this journey.

The sad thing is, if they ever came out with a DQH3, I'd probably play it.

I feel the same way about Ni no Kuni. I played the original on an older account and thought it was fun, but too much of a time investment. I don't think I could do NNK2 (despite buying it on sale a few months ago).

Do not agree with your sentiment towards VC4. ?

I don't know about LiS2. I liked the teen angst of the original. I think I could be persuaded to play the sequel (if I got it for free).

• Like 1

On 6/9/2021 at 9:45 PM, Cassylvania said:

I feel the same way about Ni no Kuni. I played the original on an older account and thought it was fun, but too much of a time investment. I don't think I could do NNK2 (despite buying it on sale a few months ago).

Do not agree with your sentiment towards VC4. 1f612.png

I don't know about LiS2. I liked the teen angst of the original. I think I could be persuaded to play the sequel (if I got it for free).

If I'm being honest with myself, if I got 4/5 of these games (except DQH2 ?) for free - I'd prolly play and platinum them all. The only things that ever stop me from tryna play something are 1) an ungodly time commitment (100+ hours) or 2) trophies so rare I don't wanna put myself through that. Think Super Meat Boy or Crypt of the Necrodancer. 

Speaking of hard games... starting on Page #12 - my hardest platinum since August 2020! 

• Like 1