RealM722's Trophy Cabinet

realm722

So, so SO glad that you enjoyed Jotun. The artstyle was the main reason I played it also and, although not perfect, it was a satisfying game. Congratulations again for beating it!! 

Also one mention about RNG: To hel with Hagalaz. That trumpet or whatever followed by "wahahahaa" and lightnings still haunt me to this day. All because RNG was a cruel mistress to me xD

And yes, no god powers is definitely harder than no damage, as weird as it sounds. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, realm722 said:

snip

Nice job! I'm happy you enjoyed it! It's funny, you're review is very similar to mine lol I wrote mine after I beat the game, but haven't posted it yet since I'm holding off on popping it. I felt almost exactly as you did about the RNG and different battles. The only thing I did different is go for Valhalla first before the cleanup in the regular game. A handful of the peripheral boss trophies I got while running through the first time, but most I did afterwards. My plan was to fully do one boss at a time once I unlocked Valhalla mode. I'll tell you that the trophy cleanup for the bosses after beating them all in Valhalla mode was so easy lol If you look at the time between some of my trophies for the different ways you had to beat the boss, you'll see what I mean.

I also am in full agreement that the no God powers was much harder due to how much more drawn out the battles were. I found the video's in the guide to be a useful tool for beating the bosses, but there was just enough RNG for them not to be fool proof. I thought that Hagalaz was going to be the hardest for me, but Kaunan ended up being the hardest for me. I just was getting so unlucky with the meteor drops and lava cracks. I'd get him down to like 15% health with no damage and then die in like two seconds. He was the most frustrating one for me. I agree that Odin was a little disappointing in that he just sat there for the most part....I'd say it took me between one and three hours each to beat most of the Valahalla mode bosses.

I also enjoyed the Fe fight and knocking his shield back at him lol....I didn't find Isa too bad. I figured out that if you get him next to a wall every fight, it was easy to manage his moves. If he was facing the wall when he did his charge, he would run into the wall immediately and not move...it made it very easy to stay between his legs and dodge most of his attacks. It got a little trickier once the ground turned to ice...but keeping him next to a wall really limited what he was able to do.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2021 at 5:40 AM, Copanele said:

Also one mention about RNG: To hel with Hagalaz. That trumpet or whatever followed by "wahahahaa" and lightnings still haunt me to this day. All because RNG was a cruel mistress to me xD

lmaoooo yes!!! That stupid laughing is permanently embedded in my brain. So many quick resets ?

On 6/13/2021 at 1:49 PM, Briste said:

I also am in full agreement that the no God powers was much harder due to how much more drawn out the battles were. I found the video's in the guide to be a useful tool for beating the bosses, but there was just enough RNG for them not to be fool proof. I thought that Hagalaz was going to be the hardest for me, but Kaunan ended up being the hardest for me. I just was getting so unlucky with the meteor drops and lava cracks. I'd get him down to like 15% health with no damage and then die in like two seconds. He was the most frustrating one for me. I agree that Odin was a little disappointing in that he just sat there for the most part....I'd say it took me between one and three hours each to beat most of the Valahalla mode bosses.

I also enjoyed the Fe fight and knocking his shield back at him lol....I didn't find Isa too bad. I figured out that if you get him next to a wall every fight, it was easy to manage his moves. If he was facing the wall when he did his charge, he would run into the wall immediately and not move...it made it very easy to stay between his legs and dodge most of his attacks. It got a little trickier once the ground turned to ice...but keeping him next to a wall really limited what he was able to do.

I'm going to agree with you on Kaunan prolly being more difficult. With Hagalaz even though it took me awhile, since her wind-ups are so obvious, while it can be annoying I always felt like I knew what I was doing and baiting her into specific moves - whereas Kaunan would always have me on my heels tryna avoid those lava cracks or unlucky sword swing where I end up in a spot where there's nothing I can do but take damage. 

Funnily enough I didn't mention it but I found the exact same strategy with Isa! The thing is, due to the ice - on multiple occasions I would have him cornered where he couldn't do much and you just stood between his legs doing damage, but I would always stupidly roll out too far and get obliterated with his slam move or just lose the plot. It was on a run where I didn't do that and just got really fortuante with his moveset that I beat him. All in all, can't wait to hear your review and it's def worthy of being a milestone icon featuring Thora's helmet!

• Like 2

e3-2021.jpg

RealM722 Reviews E3 2021

IT'S THAT TIME OF YEAR AGAIN BOYS AND GIRLS! The time when we all huddle around our laptops, go on Twitch, find our favorite gaming streamer, and snarkily type comments in the chat about how awful each game revealed is, cringe at each presentation, wince painfully at every joke that doesn't land, and slam our fists through our computer monitors when hyped game "X" doesn't actually unveil any new information. It's E3!!! We missed it in 2020 due to the pandemic, and it came back with a fury this year. How was it? Ehhhh, I mean - listen man. If you're one of those people are type "ResidentSleeper" when every game that isn't in your favorite genre is presented - you're just an insufferable individual, and I can't help you. But in an effort to actually prove to myself, statistically, empirically, that E3 in all likelihood is a complete and utter waste of my time... I have methodically watched every presentation by every main game developer and determined how many games I ACTUALLY care about playing / want to play in the future. My advice? DON'T DO THIS. There are better uses of your time. Learn to play the piano or something. But in case you aren't so musically inclined, feel free to learn from my mistakes! The games will be listed by my initial reaction, ordered in 4 categorizes.

The 4 Categorizes of Games:

"Not for me, not interested." - FAR AND AWAY, the most common category. Any FPS, overly violent, anime-up-the-wahzoo game goes here. Not bad games, but not for me.

"I want to know more." - I'm not immediately repulsed. It looks decent. But it didn't show any gameplay. You know the rules - no gameplay, no hype. I need more.

"I'd like to get it on sale." - I like what I saw. There was likely gameplay. Not a Day 1 purchase(most games aren't), but in 3-4 years for sub-$10? Yea I'll play that!

"I WANT TO PLAY IT!" - The most dangerous category. I am officially HYPED for your game. I loved what I saw. I may buy it for $20+, or hell, MAYBE EVEN, a Day 1 purchase.

Enough wasting time - you know the rules now, let's get to the presentations!

Ubisoft

E3 Day #1 (Saturday, June 12th, 2021 - 3PM)

#1. Rainbow Six: Extraction - Not for me, not interested. (Why? FPS)

#2. Rocksmith+ - Not for me, not interested. (I’m not tryna… learn an instrument, dawg - good for those who wanna pay the subscription and really learn it though)

#3. Riders Republic - I’d like to get it on sale. Has a fun look to it, I hope it doesn’t have super grindy trophies. 

#4. Just Dance 2022 - Not for me, not interested. (Why? Dancing games aren’t my lane)

#5. Assassin’s Creed Valhalla DLC - Not for me, not interested. (Why? Never playing a AC game)

#6. Far Cry 6 - Not for me, not interested. (Why? FPS, Giancarlo Esposito is getting A LOT of hype man… I’m worried it could go the way of Keanu Reaves in Cyberpunk2077 where people don’t think he fits for the role and is over-used. I imagine Diego can end up finishing the game good/bad depending on your choices)

#7. Mario+Rabbids: Sparks of Hope - Not for me, not interested. (Rabbids are weird and I don’t like them)

#8. Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - I want to know more. I don’t care at all for Avatar, it’s been so long - but if it’s a fun open world game, I’d check it out. Plus, it’ll get a boost as it’ll be in the zeitgeist if it releases at the same time as the sequel movies.

Total Games: 8 | Not Interested: 6 | Want To Know More: 1 | Wait for Sale: 1 | Want to Play: 0

Explanation: Not surprising. Ubisoft isn't my favorite developer. The only games of theirs I believe I've played is The Crew. So... not a great start.

Devolver Digital

E3 Day #1 (Saturday, June 12th, 2021 - 4:30PM)

#1. Shadow Warrior - Not for me, not interested. (Why? FPS)

#2. Trek to Yomi - I want to know more. Leaning towards no, but a 2D side-scroller with some depth could be fun.

#3. Phantom Abyss - I’d like to get it on sale. That looked like a ton of fun! Good fast 1st person movement, Mirror’s Edge with grappling hook + deadly obstacles

#4. Wizard with a Gun - I want to know more. Aesthetics remind me greatly of Don’t Starve as well as the survival mechanics, but if it’s more chill I’d love to check it out.

#5. Death’s Door - I’d like to get on sale. Looked pretty fun! Too bad as of now it appears to be releasing solely on Xbox and Steam.

#6. Inscryption - Not interested, not for me. (Why? I don’t do spooky - ‘specially not spooky card games)

Total Games: 6 | Not Interested: 2 | Want To Know More: 2 | Wait for Sale: 2 | Want to Play: 0

Explanation: That's better! But of course this comes with a caveat - Devolver Digital's games, at least in this case - were almost exclusivly PC-related. That isn't terrible, since if these games do very well they in all probability could come to consoles - but I looked it up and at the moment, none of them are planned. But let's be patient and home. With regard to Devolver Digital's actual presentation - it was good! They always go extra wacky and try to have a genuine plot. I appreciate the effort, and the jokes were solid for the most part.

Here is where Gearbox's presentation would have gone... if it wasn't the most boomer 2011-tier unfunny cringe nonsense with Randy Pritchard bragging about knowing Kevin Hart. I mean, even games wise - I don't care for Borderlands 3, or Borderlands: The Movie (which somehow got Cate Blanchett), or that Tiny Tina's game - just yuck man.

Microsoft & Bethesda

E3 Day #2 (Sunday, June 13th, 2021 - 1:00PM)

#1. Starfield - Not for me, not interested. (Looks like it could be cool - just don’t really play Bethesda or trust them at all after F76)

#2. Stalker 2: Heart of Chernobyl - Not for me, not interested. (Why? It’s a FPS)

#3Back 4 Blood - Not for me, not interested. (Why, FPS + Zombies)

#4. Sea of Thieves: A Pirate’s Life - Not for me, not interested. (The mouse is unstoppable, but I guess a new generation gets to see Capt. Jack Sparrow)

#5. Battlefield 2042 - Not for me, not interested. (Why? It's a FPS, AMAZING trailer though - that scenery was gorgeous)

#6. Twelve Minutes - I'd like to get it on sale. Damn I’m intrigued by this! I’d like to play it, prolly just watch a YT play-thru though

#7. Psychonauts 2 - Not for me, not interested. (I find the Psychonauts art-style utterly disgusting. I bought the original for $1, still haven't played it cuz can't get over that)

#8. Fallout 76: Steel Reign - Not for me, not interested. (Why? C’mon, it’s Fallout 76)

#9. Party Animals - Not for me, not interested. (I swear I thought this was Human Fall Flat DLC but animals. I’ll pass)

#10. Hades - I WANT TO PLAY IT! (LESSSSGOOOO!! ITS ON GAMEPASS BUT WHO CARES LAUNCHES ON PLAYSTATION ON AUG. 13 WOHOOO!)

#11. Somerville - I'd like to get it on sale. Big “Inside” vibes. Not super intrigued, prolly would get it for $5 4 years from now.

#12. Halo: Infinite - Not for me, not interested. (Why, it’s a FPS - but I'm optimistic that it'll be positively received upon release by Xbox fans)

#13. Diablo 2: Resurrected - Not for me, not interested. (Never played Diablo, don't care to start now)

#14. A Plague Tale: Requiem - Not for me, not interested. (I don’t do gross and scary)

#15. Slime Rancher 2 - I WANT TO PLAY IT! THIS IS MY MOST AWESOME SURPRISE OF E3. Didn't expected it AT ALL, very much enjoyed the original, I want more slimes and just more progression loops and I be a super happy camper. While initially an Xbox Exclusive, this tweet suggests it should come over to PS5 about 3-6 months post-release. NICE!

#16. Shredders - I want to know more. I would play it depending on the trophies. They’ll probably be super grindy.

#17. Atomic Heart - Not for me, not interested. (Not for me at all but that looked SUPER interesting, could be a sleeper hit in a few years or fall off a cliff)

#18. Replaced - I want to know more. Beautiful graphics. Utter awful name for a game. But what we did see was cool!

#19. Grounded: Shroom & Doom Update - Not for me, not interested. (Why? Multiplayer)

#20. Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising - I want to know more. Probably not for me? They showed a 3 second clip of it

#21. Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes - I want to know more. That looked decent! I’d prolly get it on a sale!

#22. The Ascent - Not for me, not interested. (Why? Ugh… just, no thanks)

#23. Ages of Empires 4 - Not for me, not interested. (Yanno, I’d always wondered what it’d be like to get into one of these grandiose giant battles games…. But, let’s be honest, probably not for me.

#24. The Outer Worlds 2 - Not for me, not interested (LMAO holy crap what a great trailer though. Very truthful)

#25. Microsoft: Flight Simulator - Not for me, not interested. (It’s very impressive technically tho)

#26. Forza Horizon 5 - I WANT TO PLAY IT! (Too bad I never will, cuz consoles exclusives but my god are the Forza games BEAUTIFUL and wonderful)

#27. Redfall - Not for me, not interested (Why? I mean, shooting game - saw a lot of people hating on it, and it was an awful trailer - but the dudes at Arcane Studio are good games developers, I suspect this one will also get more love closer to it’s release)

Total Games: 27 | Not Interested: 18 | Want To Know More: 4 | Wait for Sale: 2 | Want to Play: 3

Explanation: Yanno, not terrible Xbox! Just because I don't care for a lot of your games doesn't mean other people don't care. I got super hyped when I saw Hades, and Slime Rancher 2 stole the show for me. I'd like to maybe one day get a digital edition Xbox just to play the Forza games cuz man.. so good. Aside from that, there were a few indies here and there, the Eiyuden games could be decent but yea... overall - it was okay. Not a 9/10, not a 3/10 either.

Square Enix

E3 Day #2 (Sunday, June 13th, 2021 - 3:15PM)

#1. Guardians of the Galaxy - I want to know more. Not really for me… but wow - that looks like that could actually be decent. Strong trailer. Gameplay demonstration went a bit long but I’m curious if there will be any end-of-game ramifications for your choices in dialogue/attitude. The only reason I'm hesistant is because I've tired greatly (as have others) of the constantly sarcastic, quippy dialogue in serious situations. GotG does that A LOT. We'll see. 

#2. Final Fantasy I - VI Remasters - I WANT TO PLAY IT! Wish I could play it. Only on Steam though :(, maybe one day remasters for consoles.

#3. Legend of Mana - I'd like to get it on sale. It's coming to PS4 for sure, maybe if the trophies aren't too bad!

#4. Marvel’s Avengers: Updates - Not for me, not interested. (It’s Multiplayer and GAAS)

#5. Babylon’s Fall - Not for me, not interested. (Another co-op game)

#6. Life is Strange: Remastered - Not for me. Already have the platinum.I don’t need to play it remastered. I’m good.

#7. Life is Strange: True Colors - I'd like to get it on sale. Ehhhhhhhhhhhh… actually, that seems hilarious reading peoples thoughts. I'll get it for $5!

#8. Stranger of Paradise - I want to know more. LMAOOO WHAT WAS THAT TRAILER? MORE LIKE STRANGER OF CHAOS AM I RIGHT. Probably not for me, could be a big hit though if it has Final Fantasy mixed with some Devil May Cry?

Total Games: 8 | Not Interested: 3 | Want To Know More: 2 | Wait for Sale: 2 | Want to Play: 1

Explanation: Am I a Square Enix fan? Like, a little bit perhaps? I want that FF7R2 goodness but I'll be patient for it. 

PC Gaming Show

E3 Day #2 (Sunday, June 13th, 2021 - 5:30PM)

#1. Naraka: Bladepoint - Not for me, not interested. (Eh… it’s not my sorta game)

#2. Dodgeball Academia - I'd like to get it on sale. Like a deep, deep sale 3 years from now

#3. Chivalry 2 - Not for me, not interested.(Why? Multiplayer)

#4. Rawmen - I'd like to get it on sale. Looks dumb - but could pick it up a few years down the line

#5. Dying Light 2 - Not for me, not interested. (I don’t do gross and scary)

#6. Humankind - I want to know more. Big Civilization vibes. I honestly really dig it, would love to try it out.

#7. They Always Run - I want to know more. I love the art direction. Def seems like something I'd be into.

#8. Orcs Must Die! 3 - Not for me, not interested. (Don’t dislike tower defense games but eh with that theme around it

#9. GigaBash - Not for me, not interested. (Why? Multiplayer)

#10. Lemnis Gate - Not for me, not interested. (25 sec. gameplay at a time? How does that work in 1st person? Wha?)

#11 Next Space Rebels - Not for me, not interested. (Don’t care for building games like that)

#12. War Tales - I want to know more. That game is gorgeous. Gotta see how fun the gameplay is in practice.

#13. Ixion - Not for me, not interested. Awful trailer.

#14. Far: Changing Tides - I want to know more. I’d like to know more before passing judgement.

#15. Lakeburg Legacy - I WANT TO PLAY IT! HELL YEA! Caught my eye, love the idea of marrying, building a legacy, all that jazz - best game thus far for PC

#16. Mech Warrior 5 - Not for me, not interested. (Looks boring tbh)

#17. Silt - I want to know more. Black and white aesthetic, bit of horror, seems like a game that is 100% destined for zero platinum just 100% completion

#18. Hello Neighbor 2 - Not for me, not interested. I heard the first game was freaking abysmal.

#19. Jurassic World: Evolution 2 - I want to know more. Could be a decent fun management game.

#20. GloomWood - Not for me, not interested. (Why, it’s a FPS)

#21. Soulstice - Not for me, not interested. (Don’t do action gore Souls-like games… lmao Soulstice)

#22. Chaos;Gate: Demon Hunter - Not for me, not interested. (Don’t care for RTS brutal combat)

#23. Pioner - Not for me, not interested. (Why? FPS)

#24. Lumberhill - I want to know more. Looked goofy and like a Switch-only title tho

#25. Tinykin - I want to know more. Very cute - a bit pikmin-esque, could be fun!

#26. Chernobylite - Not for me, not interested. (Why? FPS)

#27. Sacrifire - I want to know more. Bit of the Octopath Traveler look - but has potential!

#28. Icarus - Not for me, not interested. (Why? Survival game, but I think that could be a hit)

#29. Mecha Jammer - I want to know more. A bit too dark for my tastes, but if there’s some good social dynamics, could get my attention.

#30. The Wandering Village - I WANT TO PLAY IT!!! I saw this game on r/indiegames and fell in love with, the developer is a super cool dude - it’s a rogue lite on the back of giant moving creatures, I hope it can become a huge success and get to consoles - even if not, may be a Steam purchase from me!

#31. Death Trash - I want to know more. This has indie darling potential. Those dialogue options have me intrigued. Seems like they have a lot there.

#32. Songs of Conquest - I’d like to get it on sale. Damn that looked good! Great pixel art, gameplay will hinge on everything but I liked what I saw.

#33. Citizen Sleeper - I want to know more. Dig the dice. Curious what the story is about. Has decent potential.

#34. Project Warlock - Not for me, not interested. (Why? FPS)

Total Games: 34 | Not Interested: 17 | Want To Know More: 12 | Wait for Sale: 3 | Want to Play: 2

Explanation: So here's the thing with the PC Gaming Show - Day9 is a cool dude, the skits with the robots and being in outer-space and whatever is fine, it's not great, but listen I feel for the actors tryna put on a performance - I'm not gonna clown them for it. In terms of the games, the wary thing is that the over-whelming majority of these won't come to consoles. But 1-2 will if they get big enough. Let's hope those two are Lakeburg Legacy and The Wandering Village - ESPECIALLY the latter since I'm optimistic it could be the next game I become absolutely fixated on. 

Future Games Show

E3 Day #2 (Sunday, June 13th, 2021 - 7:00PM)

#1. Instinction - Not for me, not interested. (Why? FPS, even with dinosaurs, nah)

#2. Grow: Song of the Evertree - I’d like to get it on sale. Looks cute, curious how deep the gameplay is, and if this is a game from the dudes who made Yonder - I really wanna play that game 1st since it’ll prepare my expectations more adequately with if I should get hyped for this.

#3. A Tale of Paper - I want to know more. Barely got 15 seconds of screen time, could be decent.

#4. Get Packed: Fully Loaded - Not for me, not interested. (Too goofy for my liking)

#5. Gatewalkers - Not for me, not interested. (Co-op up to 4 players… nah)

#6. Gamedec - I want to know more. Liked the style, could be pretty good.

#7. Backbone - I’d like to get it on sale. That looks fun! Playing as a raccoon detective? Sign me up.

#8. Beacon Pines - I want to know more. Like the art, dunno if that word changing mechanic will be very versatile.

#9. Trifox - I want to know more. Leaning towards no, but I could be swayed if I heard good things.

#10. Timberborn - I’d like to get it on sale. It’s a management game with the cute twist of instead of people it’s managing a community of beavers? Cool.

#11. Rift Breaker - Not for me, not interested.

#12. eSports Boxing Club - Not for me, no interested. (I don’t care for boxing, but WOW that game has the potential to be a gigantic hit. If they’ve got legends like Ali and Joe Frazier, plus modern stars like Canelo… it can catch on like wildfire with the younger kids enjoying it cuz of the Paul brothers fighting, and all of a sudden you’ve got a new fanbase)

#13. Hell Let Loose - Not for me, not interested. (Why? Military FPS)

#14. Red Solstice 2: Survivors - Not for me, not interested. (Why? Co-op)

#15. Lake - I want to know more. Horrible name, but is it just a casual relaxing time in a small-town with nothing going on or is there something going on here?

#16. Elvest Souls - I want to know more. No gameplay, no hype - prolly not but… if it’s awesome, maybe.

#17. Enlisted - Not for me, not interested. (Why? Military FPS)

#18. Severed Steel - Not for me, not interested. (Looks super high-energy tho)

#19. Sonic Colors: Ultimate - I want to know more. I’ve never even played Sonic Forces despite having it for free via PS+. Modern sonic games are just...

#20. Starmancer - I want to know more. Seems like a management in space game? Could be decent.

#21. KeyWe - I’d like to get it on sale. That seems so incredibly stupid, I love it. Keywees working together transcribing messages >>>

#22. Deathrun TV - Not for me, not interested. It’s a rogue-lite, and I think it has potential but too violent for my tastes,

#23. Harold Halibut - Not for me, not interested. (I STRONGLY dislike the art style. I like the idea and concept tho, could get some traction)

#24. Happy Game - Not for me, not interested. (Another repulsive art style, and I hate the “oh it’s cute wait no it’s horror element”)

#25. Minute of Islands - I want to know more. Now here’s an art style I dig. Gotta see if reviews come back solid.

#26. Olli Olli World - I want to know more. That looks like it could be pretty fun skateboarding everywhere.

#27. Tails of Iron - I want to know more. It’s rats with armor. But where’s the gameplay, my guy?

#28. Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town - I WANT TO PLAY IT!! WAIT THIS IS COMING TO PS4 IN 2021? I DONT CARE IF I DONT LOVE THE ART

#29. Rune Factory 4 Special - I want to know more. Unlike a lot of original Harvest Moon fans, the Rune Factory graphics seem incredibly cheap to me and I haven’t ever gotten on board with them. If this has like a 20% plat rarity, I’d pick it up on sale just to try it out.

#30. Immortality - I want to know more. Oh hey this is from the Telling Lies guys? Cool, I’d check it out if they bring it to console.

Total Games: 30 | Not Interested: 12 | Want To Know More: 13 | Wait for Sale: 4 | Want to Play: 1

Explanation: This was the PC Gaming Show - but even worse. A lot of games I didn't care for. Some stuff that could be decent, but it's just impossible to get excited for since 1) they're barely on screen for more than 20 seconds and 2) so many of these will never come to consoles. Story of Seasons was the one that did capture my attention, and I'm hoping I can rekindle some of that lost love for the HM franchise with an entry by the former developers. 

Indie Games Showcase

E3 Day #3 (Monday, June 14th, 2021 - 3:00PM)

#1. Lifeslide - I want to know more. Paper airplane flying. Cool.

#2. Fallen Aces - Not interested, not for me. (Like the art style and sounded like Lee from the Walking Dead was in it)

#3. Larcenauts Wanted - Not for me, not interested. (Like another multiplayer game)

#4. Toy Soldiers - I’d like to get it on sale. That looked good! And it seemed like Twitch chat had a lot of nostalgia for the original.

#5. Moo Lander - Not for me, not interested. Thought the artistic style was gross. Was that a demon cow at the end?

#6. Neko Ghost Jump - I want to know more. That had some old platformer vibes but some of the art looks like it could be made in Dreams. But it’s a cat!

Total Games: 6 | Not Interested: 3 | Want To Know More: 2 | Wait for Sale: 1 | Want to Play: 0

Explanation: This was one of the worst E3 days I've ever seen. The indies disappointed. Take-Two did nothing but talk on a bunch of ZOOM calls. There was garbage like Verizon and Razer with conferences. Capcom - who some get hyped for, did NOTHING but announce some Resident Evil 8 DLC. Atrocious. 

Nintendo

E3 Day #4 (Tuesday, June 15th, 2021 - 12:00PM)

#1. Super Smash Bros Ultimate: Kazuya DLC - Not for me, not interested. (Smash... characters... ResidentSleeper (oh no I've become what I hate)

#2. Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania - I want to know more. Could this come over to PS4 like the last Super Monkey game? 

#3. Mario Party Superstars - Not for me, not interested. (Mario Party is a game you play at your friends house who don't really play games)

#4. Metroid Dread - I want to know more. It reminded me of Strider lmao, it could be aight but it's been in development FOREVER.

#5. WarioWare Get It Together - Not for me, not interested. (Those mini-games look awful. Who is this for?)

#6. Shin Megami Tensei V - I want to know more. (Wow they decided to make spin-offs of the Persona games I guess!)

#7. Advance Wars 1+2 - Not for me, not interested. 

#8. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2 - I want to know more. (I have the original. I've never played it. I should get around to that)

Total Games: 8 | Not Interested: 4 | Want To Know More: 4 | Wait for Sale: 0 | Want to Play: 0

Explanation: I'm not a giant Nintendo baby. Like - there's some games here I would prolly enjoy, but Nintendo is the Disney of gaming. Everything of theirs is exorbitantly expensive no matter how old it is. Which is why I did not include any "wait for sale" here. I'm not such a die-hard for the Persona series that I care to see where they originated with the SMT games. Zelda is a game I should get around to eventually - it's a bad gap in my gaming repertoire.

Concluding Statistics:

Total Games: 127

Not Interested: 73 

Want To Know More: 33

Wait for Sale: 14

Want to Play: 7

Analysis: That seems about right. More than half the stuff (57%) is stuff I just have 0 interest in. Around 26% is stuff that I could have interest in, but I really need to know more, there is a lot over a dozen games I'd want on sale, and a handful that I truly consider myself HYPED for. For the record, I know there were far more than just 127 games shown. There was prolly stuff in pre-shows and such that got attention. But this is what the majority of people watch in terms of the big developers and studios and yea.... it's just aight. But I still enjoyed it! I don't care for the games necessarily, but the experience. Remember that for E3 2022!

Edited by realm722
  • Like 3

apps.14933.14158445404369445.b26e33bc-8eGame: Crossing Souls

Analysis: I bought Crossing Souls for $3.74 in mid-April 2021, and was initially gonna hold off on playing it for awhile until I read @Cassylvania's glowing, spoiler-free review.

So first my spoiler free review: Crossing Souls is a game that has, for lack of a better term - a whole lot of soul. It's not the prettiest game I've played this year (though the pixel art is very nice and the world is nicely detailed), it doesn't have the greatest combat by any means (but it's serviceable, and during bosses requiring you to pay attention in order to actually beat them) and it's story is nice enough flavoring that even for how over the top it is, you can appreciate the subtle nuances of it all with a lovable cast of young characters. You're going on an adventure with a gang of kids from the mid-1980s, chill out, enjoy the vibes, and watch the madness unfold. If that sounds like your sorta thing, pick this bad boy up before reading any further!

Spoiler Section Begins Now - Soooooo let me first discuss the characters since I really do believe the entire game being enjoyable or not for someone hinges completely on the fact of whether you like this group or not. You have your protagonist - Chris, who for the most part serves as the inoffensive protagonist and main character of the story. You can tell because he has very distinct, lush blue hair! He's chill. His younger brother is Kevin! I said there would be spoilers so here we go - Kevin freaking dies. But no worries! The story of this game and core element is that it doesn't really matter that he died because his soul got devoured by a purple pyramid, it just means we can only visit him in the spooky dead dimension that we can flick on or off with a simple flick of the R2 button. Neat! Big Joe is the lovable hefty black kid who just so happens to be the second core character to die during the game! You're gonna notice a them here. Joe's far and away your strongest character and has the most health, while simultaneously doing the most damage to enemies. He's a tank, and his death was the most painful one for me personally ('specially since it was due to slowly bleeding out in the cave at the end of a long section where he was plainly struggling). Matt is the nerd of the group, found furthest to the left in the above image. I didn't love Matt. He's fine, he's important to the group due to the knowledge he has, and he ends up being one of the last surviving characters you play as along with Chris as you infiltrate the enemy's liar at the end of the game but... meh. He gets his neck snapped like a twig towards the end and dies to the games main boss. RIP. Finally, there's Charlie - the uber athletic, cool-enough-to-hang-with-the-boys cool gal who ultimately ends up getting with Chris. Yea, anybody who isn't a lizard person saw that coming a mile away. You fight a bunch of goons her alcoholic dad send after you when you wanna pry her away from him. She's cool and loves this misfit of goofballs. She ends up being the only one who survives the entire story, and the ending sequence is her, now an elderly grandma, telling her adventure as a youth to her grand-kids before rejoining the gang in the spooky dimension. Super cute ending!

I liked this group of characters, so I enjoyed this game. But I have to concede that if you don't care for them... there's not much here. The overall narrative is so laughably honest in its' simplicity I respect. The villains are so comically over-the-top that one of the is even named "Heartless". He killed Big Joe... how.... name-sakely of him. The final boss is General Major Oh Rus. He's the one who snaps Matt's neck. Thankfully, you just kept dodge-rolling his attacks on the final boss like a bad-ass and wore him down with your dad's baseball bat. But all in all - a simple narrative is fine, I tend to not care for video game stories (I should write an article about that...) and this one served well enough as flavoring around the inter-personal dynamics. In terms of gameplay, combat was simple and easy - bit of button mashing with backing off when necessary. No boss proved very challenging, I died twice on the final one and once to Heartless' remaining corpse but nothing too challenging. The soundtrack was not special but solid, my fave was prolly "Welcome to Tajunga." In terms of trophies, the game has A LOT of missables due to collectibles and one-off trophies in each chapter. Those were a bit of a pain, so look up the guide beforehand or take advantage of a platinum walkthrough. The games fairly short regardless, and it personally took me 1 day and 1 hour in order to earn the 20.91% platinum rarity.

All in all, I recommend Crossing Souls to the over-whelming majority of y'all reading this. It's just a nice time with a gang of kids and touches on some nice formulas of a relatable group getting caught up in an adventure during the summer. It's not gonna with my GOTY or anything, but the developers clearly cared deeply about this game - and I think the best demonstration of that was the dedicated short style animation videos they did for major moments in the game. For such a small developer in Fourattic (literally just 4 dudes from Spain) to make that happen is a testament to the love that went into this game. I'll definitely keep my eye on them for their next project, and hope they've garnered enough eyeballs to make their next project that much more ambitious.

Panda Score: 6.6 / 10

• Like 1

I did not realize how many games they actually showed during E3...your post on it is very helpful. This also helped me get a better idea of your taste in games. There is a bit more in there that I am interested in, but my tastes are all over the place for games.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

apps.24795.13672252053186917.bdef4e97-36

Game: Wandersong

Analysis: I bought Wandersong for $4.99 back in late June 2021. There is no need for me to complicate this review, so let me be direct.

Wandersong is good for the soul.

You SHOULD play it. $20 is admittedly steep for a game of this length, but you can easily snag it for $5 when it goes on sale. It is a lovely game that encourages you, The Bard, to save the world by putting together the Earthsong. This means you'll be going on an adventure. As opposed to typical combat with a sword and violence, you'll be conquering your foes with the sound of your voice. But if that sounds just a little bit too friendly for your tastes, along the way you'll have to deal with the acclaimed "Hero", Audrey Redheart - who is seeking to destroy the very overseers you are seeking to save this world. Along the way you'll have to form a band, encounter pirates and mermaids, shut down a factory, and so on. It's a remarkably charming game that you can tell the creator, Greg Lobanov clearly had a passion for while creating it. Even if it sounds like these sorts of games "aren't for you" and you may even look down on it since it's a mere 100% as opposed to having a platinum, I think you should check it out. Its trophy list is super straightforward, and it can be cleaned up super quickly if you missed anything due to a stage select mode that can easily be unlocked. I earned the 36.68% rarity 100% completion in just 1 hour and 10 minutes. That somehow makes me the 20th fastest achiever on PSNProfiles, but that more than anything has to do with the fact the game has a criminally low # of owners (just 379). Do yourself a favor and it out when you get the chance.

Panda Score: 6.8 / 10

P.S. - I've been in a very weird place towards the end of June. Maybe not a weird place but... a growing phase. It's necessary. It's good. I just need time to make sense of it. I had a miserable week last week, but things are starting to look on the up-and-up so let's hope it keeps going. I've also had my playtime go down a bit since I've been invested in Euro 2020. I picked Italy v. England (with the Italians taking it) after the group stage and right now that pick is sitting pretty unless England blows a mind-bogglingly easy bracket avoiding the likes of France/Belgium/Italy. In the NBA, I like the Suns to beat the Bucks in the Finals in 6 games. Phoenix is very fortunate to have had so many injuries by opposing teams' star players but every champion needs luck. It's a ring all the same. Apart from that, for the back-end of June, I was playing a game called Superhot. It's VERY good and makes you feel very cool. I'm looking forward to writing a review on it. Until then!

Edited by realm722
  • Like 4

I've wanted to play goat sim for a while I'm just waiting for the dlc to go on sale again after missing it the last time, my expectations going into it are low but as a spyro fan I'm interested to see what I think of that comparison 

• Like 1

Aayyyy, what's good. Just poked my head in and your enthusiastic posts charmed the hell out of me. Some (not so) quick thoughts, if I may:

- Your FF7RM review was phenomenal (especially interesting coming from a first timer), and unless you're absolutely dead set on avoiding spoilers I strongly suggest you play the original and/or get your hands on (the possibly superior) FF6 as the good @DrBloodmoney recommended. I got to know FF7 inside and out when I was a teenager and have been frothing at the mouth for the remake since it was initially teased like fifteen years ago or somethin like that... all to say that I have my FF7 credentials in order and I think the remake is excellent and love the direction they're taking with it.

- I am now intrigued by Jotun, though I am quite possibly the opposite of a god gamer (peasant gamer?). Cuphead was a difficult boss rush that was a feast for the eyes and I loved that! Hell, after the platinum popped I actually kept playing for a while, like a holed up soldier who didn't know the war was over.

- Crossing Souls and Wandersong might could be a good experience, they sound nice. I'll have to keep an eye out for those when new sales pop up.

- Think I'm stubbornly deciding not to be sold on Goat Simulator and I have no idea why. I hope I'm not racist towards goats (now that I think of it, I don't even have any goat friends... who am I?)

- You've earned yourself a follow. Looking forward to reading more from you?

• Like 2

On 7/12/2021 at 0:04 PM, YaManSmevz said:

Aayyyy, what's good. Just poked my head in and your enthusiastic posts charmed the hell out of me. Some (not so) quick thoughts, if I may:

- Your FF7RM review was phenomenal (especially interesting coming from a first timer), and unless you're absolutely dead set on avoiding spoilers I strongly suggest you play the original and/or get your hands on (the possibly superior) FF6 as the good @DrBloodmoney recommended. I got to know FF7 inside and out when I was a teenager and have been frothing at the mouth for the remake since it was initially teased like fifteen years ago or somethin like that... all to say that I have my FF7 credentials in order and I think the remake is excellent and love the direction they're taking with it.

- I am now intrigued by Jotun, though I am quite possibly the opposite of a god gamer (peasant gamer?). Cuphead was a difficult boss rush that was a feast for the eyes and I loved that! Hell, after the platinum popped I actually kept playing for a while, like a holed up soldier who didn't know the war was over.

- Crossing Souls and Wandersong might could be a good experience, they sound nice. I'll have to keep an eye out for those when new sales pop up.

- Think I'm stubbornly deciding not to be sold on Goat Simulator and I have no idea why. I hope I'm not racist towards goats (now that I think of it, I don't even have any goat friends... who am I?)

- You've earned yourself a follow. Looking forward to reading more from you1f44a.png

Hah thank you for all the love man - I really appreciate it. I hadn't read my FF7R Review since I finished it so going back and re-reading it for the first time in a few months even made me chuckle on occasion ?. I definitely want to play the original one day, but I'm also partially tempted to continue as-is for now given I'll have the opportunity to experience the 2nd game in the remake trilogy in a very different light compared to so many others. FF6 on the other hand is one I absolutely want to get my hands on - too bad Square Enix said for the 1-6 package is only coming to Steam and Mobile at the moment. But it's definitely on my to-do list! As for Jotun - check it out! You can get it for a few bucks and it goes on sale fairly frequently. I'll concede that it would probably be the game that demands the most determination to repeat the same boss over and over again based on what I've seen from your plat collection, but you've played enough adequately tricky big games for me to think you could beat it! Plus, there are some LOVELY extensive helpful guides on this forum thanks to some awesome dudes. 

I'd also be happy to offer up a few more recommendations from my collection based on your favorite games. You could even make a trophy cabinet and join the gang of people here reviewing games they've conquered. Just by glancing at your list you've got a few heavy hitters I'd love to hear your opinion on (Drake's Fortune, Overcooked 2, Fallout 4 to name a few) 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, realm722 said:

Hah thank you for all the love man - I really appreciate it. I hadn't read my FF7R Review since I finished it so going back and re-reading it for the first time in a few months even made me chuckle on occasion 1f602.png. I definitely want to play the original one day, but I'm also partially tempted to continue as-is for now given I'll have the opportunity to experience the 2nd game in the remake trilogy in a very different light compared to so many others. FF6 on the other hand is one I absolutely want to get my hands on - too bad Square Enix said for the 1-6 package is only coming to Steam and Mobile at the moment. But it's definitely on my to-do list! As for Jotun - check it out! You can get it for a few bucks and it goes on sale fairly frequently. I'll concede that it would probably be the game that demands the most determination to repeat the same boss over and over again based on what I've seen from your plat collection, but you've played enough adequately tricky big games for me to think you could beat it! Plus, there are some LOVELY extensive helpful guides on this forum thanks to some awesome dudes. 

I'd also be happy to offer up a few more recommendations from my collection based on your favorite games. You could even make a trophy cabinet and join the gang of people here reviewing games they've conquered. Just by glancing at your list you've got a few heavy hitters I'd love to hear your opinion on (Drake's Fortune, Overcooked 2, Fallout 4 to name a few) 

Thank you! That thought has occurred to me, starting up my own thread. I've been having a lot of fun chillin in the bushes and stalkin everybody else's, and it's so dope to get these windows into everyone's journey to.. well, wherever they're tryin to get!

Also it slipped my mind before, but I wanted to thank you for mentioning that silliness with Tifa's sweaty shower talk, thought I was the only one who noticed that! In the sewers, sure, it's a perfectly organic thing for a woman to say, but after every other fight??

"I would KILL for a shower!"

Bitch, you kicked an overgrown mole. ONCE.

"Worked up a good sweat!"

From casting Thunder level one? Yeah okay bro.

It's subtle but still kind of unnecessary. It's not like they had Barrett sayin "I need to get hosed off, my pants sealin in some FLAVOR!!"

Anyway.

I'm definitely down for good recs. Looked into Jotun and it looks great! I've got a bit (okay a lot) of backlog cleaning to go through but I'ma slap that one on the pile. Hopefully I'm up to the challenge?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, realm722 said:

I'm the weirdo goblin under the bridge who doesn't venture out from my rock. I like it that way!

I feel like I'm also another "weirdo under a bridge" - dwelling goblin that often doesn't venture too far out from my rock, unless I feel like I can give some helpful tips on a game in  a thread or something.. I just occupy the UK version of that bridge haha!! I love your posts too by the way... No - before you wonder I'm not just saying this because you mentioned me, I've been reading your stuff for ages and it's great. I just haven't dropped a comment yet.. Here's the first one of many I expect. 

Wow!! That was a great read... Thank you so much as well by the way - I'm honoured.. Don't worry I'm not going to do some weird long Oscar's acceptance speech like a ninny (although, my posts are never usually short ?)  but, I really appreciate the kind words...  Thanks though, makes me think I must be doing something right. I did think people might be put off by the fact I never give an x out of 10 rating, but I sort of thought, if you read everything I've written, it should become pretty clear whether or not that sort of a game would be for you or not.. I think every game, no matter how big or small, long or short deserves the same amount of time dedicated to writing about it, even if it's a game that doesn't have all that much to it on the surface, like a 3 hour long Artifex Mundi game or something.. They usually all offer something to discuss on some level or another.. Just thought I'd share some of the method to my madness.

Funny you say that about Okage.. I literally have that review already written, but I hadn't posted it yet. I'm still spending most of my gaming time failing the jump rope mini-game in Final Fantasy IX ?, I'm still having lots of fun with it though, so not like I'm getting overly frustrated with it. I'll post the Okage review  later and tag you in it... Okage is great by the way, just have to apply the context of when it was made to it. Don't judge it by modern standards. That game has so much charm, it probably needs to have an extra set of eyelids just to contain it all.

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 4

I appreciate the shoutout, I honestly hadn’t even realized myself just how long I’ve been doing this now… now I feel old ? 

All the credit for the banners has to go to whoever it is in the Game Information Team that sets those up for each game, I just, uh… “borrow” their chosen ones for my own list ;)

• Like 4

Appreciate the shout out mate - It’s an honour just to be nominated in such esteemed company ?

Plus - let’s face it - any time I get to be described as a “new kid on the block” in any capacity is, at my age, a victory in and of itself ?

• Like 4

5 hours ago, realm722 said:

#2. (@Briste) "Briste's Diary of a Madman"

Stats: Start Date: May 24th, 2019 | 365 replies | 16,069 views | 148 platinums | 6,915 trophies (97.86%) | 40.16% average rarity | 36 games in common

Justification: Briste is awesome, and I'm not just saying that because his Banner Saga 2 DLC guide probably saved me from losing my damn mind. Of all the accounts here, he's the one that I feel I'm almost equal with in terms of trophies/platinums since while he's a bit ahead of me, it's not inconceivable if I had a hot month or two that I could tie him up if he got bogged down in a few lengthy difficult games (muahahaha keep playing those Injustice games, my friend). Nah but seriously he has great vibes, does appropriately lengthed reviews that keep the readers attention far better than my own do, and is splendid with community engagement. I can say as recently as within the past year I've trusted him to discard ever wanting to play Secret of Mana, gave me the motivation to push for the Jotun platinum, shared in a mutual love for MLB The Show 20, and even convinced me to an off-the-beaten-path game in Ash of Gods simply because of how much I loved the Banner Saga Trilogy. He's fantastic and I hope he keeps posting the way he has been for many months to come. 

Wow dude, that is super kind of you! It's funny that you relate to my account like that because that is the exact same reason I've been following yours lol We're about neck and neck with our play history, plus I feel like we could have a beer together outside of gaming and talk sports just as easy. We'd throw up at each other's chosen teams of course, but I get that same vibe :)

I actually look at most of these profiles as well, but end up being more of a lurker with admiration than an active participant in the threads. I find that I have about an hour or two a day to myself and the more time I spend on here posting, the less time I have to game. I could probably find a happy medium if I was better with the keyboard on my phone, but as it stands, I do all of my posting from my desktop. You are correct though, that there are a lot of interesting personalities, with great takes, who obviously care a lot about their hobby. Keep up the great work my man and you'll be blowing past me in no time!

Edited by Briste
  • Like 3

I've been posting for almost a year?! Seriously though, I feel honored to be included in your post, even though you docked me points for POWGI games ?. I take no shame in those as I played them with my wife while we had music on in the background, knew they would haunt me one day....

23 hours ago, realm722 said:

#1. (@Cassylvania

They were the reason I actually started my thread so I am completely onboard with this, always a delight to read what they write.

Edited by Grotz99
  • Like 1

Hey @realm722, thanks for the mention :) You are absolutely right, there are so many active checklists, each with their own style... So that everyone can find a couple to follow and enjoy reading. The best thing: Each of us maintaining one is doing this purely for fun (I assume), and the interactions with other fellow-PSNPlers is just an incredible bonus. I think we see that at ExistentialSolid's example.. once he realized he didn't have fun, he quit... And that's exactly right. Was an incredible checklist, that's for sure! 

Honestly, I would never have thought that my checklist would at some point get the attention it gets. But I am also one of those people that stalked Cassys checklist for a long while before writing there for the first time, and thinking "man, I'd love to have my own thread like this". I absolutely agree, that checklist defiintely is #1 Material :) 

That being said... I have yet to come across a checklist with as detailed reviews as your own! I know you cannot nominate yourself, but you have something amazing going on here as well :) 

• Like 4