RealM722's Trophy Cabinet

realm722

wsRbv7pM30tXfRSVys5VU1zF.jpgGame: Flatland Vol. #1

Analysis: I bought Flatland Vol. #1 for $0.74 back in late August 2021 and I can say comfortably for less than $1, it's well worth your money. 

You're always taking a risk when you take a flyer on one of these super cheap games that go on sale. Sometimes you don't know if they're going to be a downright broken mess (cough Dark Mystery) or if you'll get some shockingly good bang for your buck on a game that just so happens to be super cheap. I'm happy to report that Flatland Vol. 1 falls into the latter category. This is a super high-paced platformer that will have you moving very quickly as a cube through 60+ stages of challenges. Some are mind-numbingly simple and others will have enemy triangles trying to blow you up. Along the way, you'll be asked to collect all 50 cubes in which many can be found hidden away in bonus or secret levels that have a green tunnel entrance. These aren't too hard to find, and while you could use this 100% completion guide on YouTube by @greenzsaber, I found the majority of them to be intuitive enough that I didn't need a guide. Once you've done all that, you'll have two major trophies remaining that are the hardest in terms of impeding most players to the platinum. That is "BIG BOSS" and "You're FASTER THAN LIGHT!". "BIG BOSS" asks you to complete the whole game while dealing with the final boss that only appears in the final 10 or so stages. Man is this guy annoying. You constantly need to stay moving as this little cube or else you'll be killed by the projectiles fired at you from the boss. I did this after getting all the collectibles and I died A LOT. Some stages were ruthlessly difficult given how jampacked they are that trying to avoid the normal enemies on top of the boss felt impossible. But rest assured, with enough patience and practice you will get the job done. The same logic applies with "You're FASTER THAN LIGHT!". This one requires you to beat all stages again, but this time with a hidden timer to beat the developer's time. I found this to be slightly easier than the previous challenge despite being rarer on PSNProfiles. I imagine that ultimately boils down to the fact this was my 3rd time playing through the game. I had learned the general layout for the vast majority of the levels outside of a handful of tricky ones. One final detail I'll add as a nice compliment to the game is that whenever you die, the game resets you very quickly which makes dying not very frustrating, similar to a game like Celeste. All in all, I was able to earn the 31.62% rarity platinum in 22 hours and 51 minutes.

RealM722 Playthrough Death Counter:

(1st) Flatland (421 deaths, 162 on Level 66-3)

(2nd) Not Him Again (867 deaths, 352 on Level 59-3, 197 on Level 62-3)

(3rd) Faster than Light (315 deaths, 21 on Level 25-1)

Would I recommend it? YES, with a few disclaimers. Do you want a nice relatively simple platinum if you have a modicum amount of experience with platformers? Knock yourself out. There's not much you're going to beat with the sub-$1 I managed to get the game for on sale. But there are some complaints I have. 1) The button for sprinting is god-awfully placed. You have to hold down the square button to "sprint" as the square. You'll be doing this A LOT especially during the high-speed runs in order to clean up the platinum. This is very awkward and numerous times, even during my last runs, I would be clicking the square button to jump, when in reality I needed to be clicking the x button. It's weird. It's not great. I adjusted, but my hands kinda cramped and I recommend taking a break after doing a full playthrough. 2) Be warned, you must complete both the boss run and speedrun in one setting. If you leave, there is no level select. This could be especially annoying due to the last disclaimer which is 3) Apparently this game is very buggy. If you pause while in one of these modes, some of the doors/gates that move you to the next level can glitch which means you have to start from Level #1 and try a brand new run. Thankfully, I never ran into this issue and I paused A LOT in the boss rush mode and never had it happen. I never did during the speedrun out of precaution. Even if this does happen to you, while annoying, the game is so short and can be finished in less than 20 minutes that even if you were to get screwed over, any trophy hunter with even a mildly strong mental fortitude will overcome this inconvenience. So yea, check out this game when it's on sale unless you got @Copanele platforming skills! ?I have another quirky/niche plat coming up after this and then we'll be getting into some article ideas I've been sitting on for a while. 'til then!

Panda Score: 6.6 / 10

Panda Difficulty: 3.5 / 10

Edited by realm722
  • Like 4

I've finally caught up with your thread! Woooo

All fantastic reads as always - oh and congrats on Platinum number 150! They always feel a little more satisfying when they are a game you love right?

I don't usually extensively plan milestones - but that one I actually did - I was like, yes Witcher 3 please! -  and I got the most amazing screenshot for it too, if you ever stumble across my actual profile on PSN, not the one on here, it's the background image you can have on your profile, and it happened pretty much by accident - but man what a happy accident.

Sorry about getting a little behind - yours isn't the only one unfortunately.... So I'll have to make an effort to sit down and do a bit more reading!

Full disclosure though - I did skip a few sections of some of those reviews that you flagged as pretty spoiler heavy (you probably noticed I avoid spoilers wherever I can). I absolutely intend to go back and read them fully when I've actually played the games in question.  However, you should take that as a compliment, because I pretty much trust your opinion on the games you're playing, and you always give such thorough and detailed descriptions I usually almost always know whether or not I'll like something, just by how much detail you've put into unpacking everything. Ironically I think you once said the same about some of the stuff I've written.

So after you recommended me The Banner Saga, which I am absolutely going to play at some point, Ash of Gods will probably also get a little turn itself, I actually saw it not too long ago for a similar price, physically to what you paid for it, so perhaps I'll have to pick it up.

Spiritfarer looks like something I'd have a great time with too, so even skimming around the review a bit I think I'm pretty much sold on that one - it's been far too long since I've played a game like that.

I do know what you mean about seeing games for like £0.37- £0.76 or something like that and thinking...... Why not? How bad can it be for that price, I've got a little puzzler I picked up a while back I'm planning to play that was a similar price to those, so at the very least, we'll be giving a bit of exposure to a title people might never have heard of, or looked into otherwise - and realistically how much can you really complain about a game that's that price - you can't expect it to be the most stellar experience, but there's usually something to like, or some positive to take away from it

I think I'll be giving No thing a miss - that looks like it'll make me want to go and lie down in a dark room and scream into a pillow.... I'd seen that on sale occasionally,clicked on it, got a little confused about what it was and clicked away - so I'm glad you gave its review your full attention - so that now  more people can actually find out what it is.

I love your dedication to getting at least one 100% a month as well - that's really cool, your profile looks so diverse to scroll through as a result as well. it isn't just BLUE BLUE BLUE BLUE BLUE BLUE........ ad infinitum!

Keep the awesome content coming! I'll try not to get behind this time!

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 2

On 19/10/2021 at 7:11 AM, realm722 said:

Hah, you are far too kind rjk, thank you for all the kind words! I always say that I first and foremost write these reviews for myself (which I honestly do narcissistically read back more than I'd like to admit just to remind myself how I really felt about a game), but to hear someone read and gain value for them really makes my day. I know I go quite heavy on the spoilers, I'm probably the worst offender of everybody here who has checklists that does that. There's a number of reasons for that. On one hand, I feel completely hamstrung at times to properly convey my thoughts without them. While on another, I've found that game stories for me are largely just flavoring, and even if I am spoiled - seeing how good a game executes it still brings value to me far more than the surprise of the twist. 

You deserve those kind words - you're doing us all a public service with all these awesome reviews and articles!

You most certainly aren't the only one that reads them back - I read mine back fairly regularly too, and edit them on occasion too, I don't think its a bad thing - in fact if I told you otherwise I'd be lying, as I spent a lot of this morning just going through my own reviews and adding a load of banner images to every review and making them nicer to look at. Thanks for the inspiration again @madbuk!

Which is more for me than it is for anything else, because I wasn't truly all that happy with what they looked like -my philosophy has always been, if people enjoy reading them, that's the nicest bonus anyone can ask for. It's great having a place to really air your own thoughts though.

Nothing wrong with going heavy on spoilers if you need to, I wouldn't want you to feel like your creativity was being stifled if you had to avoid them   - there'll be a few reviews I can see where I'll have pretty much no choice but to delve into them a bit myself - you do make a really great point about that, that even if you're a bit spoiled on a certain event - just the journey towards how those events actually take place can be pretty worthwhile in themselves.

I am legitimately thrilled that you are going to play TBS. I am going to devour those reviews. I think you're the only one in the history of the internet who'll give me a running for the amount of words I've typed regarding them 1f602.png. I really think you'll enjoy it and if you do, AoG will be another one I'll be ecstatic to dicuss with you about - just because as of right now Briste is literally the only other person I know who's played it. 

I'm looking forward to starting it at some point - I just need to clear my backlog a little bit more,so I can feel a bit more positive about starting a game series I'm pretty certain I'll get hooked on.

You've got like 8000 plus on The Banner Saga right?

I won't actively try to beat that, but if it happens, it happens. As you and I have discussed a bit before I think, word count doesn't always = quality, so I'm always very mindful of that - I just get a bit carried away sometimes and get over passionate about certain games,which is I'm sure what you do too. Hence the long word counts. I suspect our awesome resident Dr is the same too.

Finally thank you for the compliment on the 100%'s! They're often a cheap way for me to say I try and complete at minimum 4 games every month when in reality one of them only takes a mere few hours, but they add a lot of diversity. I like to think of it like how a big-time college football program will always schedule themselves a cupcake FCS team when they need an easy win before some of their tougher opponents. I will say, one debilitating thing that my stupid brain does to me is since I love how it looks - I'm kinda not looking forward to the change in the size offered by PS5 games. I know it sounds utterly asinine but the images being full squares instead of rectangles now ruins the uniformity. I will get over it and just accept it but I won't be happy about it!

They look awesome - that diversity really does make for interesting viewing.

I think I need to expand on my 100%'s personally... I was looking at my section of them in my front page earlier, and was like "I'm sure I have more than that, it appears not" so I might have to fix that one a bit going forward - do a bit of diversifying myself.

I don't think you're the only one that isn't a big proponent of those squares. They do look a bit funky in a sea of rectangles to just see a big square box with an Astros bot in it or a big Square Spidey symbol.... I guess it's just something we'll all have to get used to.

• Like 2

Glad to see another person enjoyed PGA Tour 2K21. I ended up buying that game earlier in the year (sadly, but worth it) to play online with a friend and we had a great time messing around on the course with random people. Did you play any of the custom courses that have multiple pins on the green and only 1 is the true hole? I would find it hard to believe anyone got True Legend legitimately, you need more control for that than Yakuza 3 pool. 

• Like 1

I wish I knew about your checklist earlier my friend, I'm gonna have to keep an eye on your thread from now on cause it looks like a fun little place on this website ? Love your Miami banner and your articles, I'll have to catch up because some of them looks very interesting haha, keep it up ?

• Like 2

On 10/18/2021 at 11:11 PM, realm722 said:

2k21.jpg

Game: PGA Tour 2k21

Awesome review! I mean they're always awesome, but your description of the experience here had me particularly crackin up. I've been on the fence with this one all month - I got a lot of unexpected joy out of the golf game in GTAV, and I thought that was enough for me. But maybe not! And if it's not only accompanied by a trusted endorsement but also free, who am I to not give it a shot?

My hands are tied. Downloaded!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, realm722 said:

Panda Score: Worst Game Of All-Time On The PS4 (as punishment for The Last Guardian's sin, I will never play The Shadow of the Colossus)

I was about to say " HEY this review sounds like my experience with the Shadow of the Col--oh there it is " xD

Seriously though, if I ever play The Last Guardian (I have no idea why I would do that but anyway), I think I will just copy/paste my SotC experience, since Trico seems to control just as smoothly as Horse. Forgot the horse's name, so he shall be named Horse. I don't know why devs thought there would be exciting to play the fantasy version of QWOP in these games...but eh.

The only great part about these games is that you can't write a bland review about them ?at least SOME magical experience is guaranteed.

• Like 1

After my experience of going back and completing Ico I can't imagine I'll ever add The Last Guardian to my list as Trico sounds even more frustrating than the stupid girl you have to lead around in that game, along with SotC they really nailed the "how to hate your companion" vibe with these games

• Like 1

10 hours ago, realm722 said:

I Finally Decided To Pay $13 For A Premium Account

Goes to look at trophy cabinet...

I'm guessing you have it setup by top 10 favorite games in platinum rarity order?

• Like 1

hero

Game: One Eyed Kutkh

Analysis: I bought One Eyed Kutkh for $1.49 in mid-October 2021. It's probably not worth what I paid for it. 

It's the 1st of yet another month, and you know what that means - another 100% game needs to be completed! I had achieved some fundamentally solid games the last two months in Deployment and In Between, but I'm afraid we've come back down to earth here. This game was originally released on Steam back in 2017 by developer "Baba Yaga Games", and it's with great sadness I must say that they've produced nothing notable since. This is a point-and-click adventure game. That lasts 30 minutes. I personally earned the 86.11% rarity 100% completion in just 28 minutes and 2 seconds. That time currently places me as the 12th fastest achiever on PSNProfiles. That surprises me. Regardless, you're a weird pink alien with one eye, your ship crashes, and you have to pit gears back in your ship to get it up and running again. You find 3 of the 4, pit the sun and moon against each other after making an idol, and then bounce outta there having stolen their two pedestals. The game switches perspectives to a young boy who makes his way up a huge tree, gets to the top, and gets swiftly pushed straight back down to where your pink alien dude is. The point? The boy begs the pink alien to get the moon and sun to stop fighting by offering him that rarified 4th gear. The alien accepts. The sun and moon are in harmony again. Game Over! That was quick, wasn't it? I'm sure you could probably deep-dive on YouTube and find a guy who thinks this is his favorite game of All-Time and the story was deceptively simplistic when if you look deeper, it was talking about the trials of being a child with two parents bickering or something like that and it really spoke to him. You won't find that here though. I don't find much value outta games like these, and this one largely served to fill my quota of giving one to the little guy at the start of each month.

Would I recommend One Eyed Kutkh? No. Skip this one. There are better 100%'s out there you can get for a dollar and fifty cents. Just go through my own history.

Panda Score: 5.7 / 10

Panda Difficulty: 1.2 / 10

On 10/28/2021 at 11:04 AM, Grotz99 said:

I'm guessing you have it setup by top 10 favorite games in platinum rarity order?

Not quite! I obviously wouldn't put any games I disliked, but I mostly just put some cool-looking platinum icons that weren't already featured on my milestone list(tho I now recognize Pyre and Dead Cells are fallacies in that explanation). I really love icons that are unique who feature a prominent character from the game (Okami HD, The Banner Saga) rather than ones that settle for a basic trophy but in blue for the plat. I enjoy reading other people's cabinets that aren't all platinums and rather funny trophy names over the years but I ultimately decided to end up going the basic route. 

Edited by realm722

• 2 weeks later...

1280x720.jpg

Game: Kamiko

Analysis: I bought Kamiko for $2.99 back in late August 2021, and I can say that for that price point I got exactly what I wanted out of the game!

You probably haven't heard of Kamiko. It's a small top-down adventure indie game made by the Japanese developer, Skipmore. Here's their steam page. With the North American version of the trophy list having less than 300 owners, I was taking a teensy bit of a risk in deciding to follow through with the purchase given with games this small, the trophy support tends to be minuscule if not completely nonexistent.  Thankfully, there's a marvelous YouTube run that manages to demonstrate both a necessary sub-30 minute speedrun of the game as well as a full run without taking damage a single time. That may sound utterly absurd. I know it did for me. But in practice, it really isn't that difficult. There are three different characters to choose from and while that run demonstrates the melee Yamato, I personally used the range attacker Uzume with her bow and arrow to take down enemies from a distance. The great thing? You don't need 30 minutes of perfection. Rather, the game has an unbelievably generous savepoint system that allows you to quit to the menu as soon as you take damage and reload from before that hitpoint. This made getting hit in a BS fashion such as an enemy spawning on top of you a non-factor due to how quickly you can retry, and at maximum, you're talking about losing 2-3 minutes at most. By far the hardest sections of the game on World #3 and World #4, specifically the first boss fight on the last level due to the fact those hedgehog-looking things can spawn right on top of you when you're in a corner. Nonetheless, after some persistent attempts, I managed to get the "Untouchable" trophy and the game was an absolute breeze from this. 

Having focused entirely on the trophies in that first paragraph, how do I actually feel about the game? I really dig it. The developers generously instituted a fair and lenient in-game timer that you can have always running to track your progress. It pauses during cutscenes. The combat feels snappy and responsive. At least for melee characters. For Uzume, I noticed you were always stuck in place for a second or two after firing a shot, and sometimes that could use you to get hit by a projectile as you were unable to sprint away. The maps may seem large on your first playthrough, but on subsequent runs(three is the minimum, I needed to 4 1/2) you'll absolutely blaze through the game with how quickly you can sprint as well as knowing the proper order to unlock the shrines in order to progress. Finding the secrets after your first time is also a cakewalk. The boss fights are simple and straightforward while never dragging on too long. The key here is to have balanced expectations. For a $3 game, I wasn't expecting the universe. I got a snappy, quick experience that was fun for what it was. 

Would I recommend Kamiko? Sure. I'm not going to pretend I've come back from the mines having unearthed a diamond in the rough. But given how some other indies I've been excited for have disappointed (cough Chasm cough), Kamiko knows what it is and hits all the marks it aimed for. If you enjoy speedrunning, I think you can really dig the game on an extra level. If you hate speedrunning, I still think you can play it. The 30-minute timer really isn't that strict. By sprinting somewhat regularly, I always beat the game in 25-27 minutes. Having said all that, I earned the 23.39% rarity platinum in 4 days and 22 hours. As the year winds down to a close, we'll be rounding out December with a couple more indies before enjoying our mammoth JRPG to close things off. I'm excited to make some end-of-year awards + have a few article ideas I've been sitting on. Aside from that... oh hey the Dolphins are streaking! 3 in a row baby!

Panda Score: 6.7 / 10

Panda Difficulty: 3.0 / 10   

Edited by realm722
  • Like 2

zUVCoA.jpg

I've Decided to Publicize My 350+ Movie Ratings

(DISCLAIMER: This post has nothing whatsoever to do with video games)

Official: RealM722's Movie Reviews Spreadsheet

Hello gang. In order to make my latest article the front page post of a new page, one more is needed to round out the total number of posts to 375. So this is the best thing I came up with. I watch movies! You can even say I like watching them. As a result, since 2019 or so I have made a concerted effort to write down every movie I've watched and how it grades in the hierarchy that is every other movie I've seen. Slowly, I've built up a sizable catalog. With an average pace of watching 9 movies or so a month (some months I'll watch 15, others just 4-5), I've built up my library of knowledge and thought the time was finally ripe that I can post this and maybe some innocent soul could get some value out of my rankings. OR maybe at least see a movie that I highly rated that they've never heard of before. I will add another disclaimer - I'm a weirdo. I like weird things. It's why "Before I Fall" which is a weird mishmash of Mean Girls + Groundhog Day ranks higher than classics such as "Blade Runner" and "Citizen Kane". While I somewhat value how the general public and critics have valued a movie, if I watch something and don't enjoy it - I'm not gonna lie to myself and pretend as if I did. But let's break down some of the categories presented so I can offer some defense.

Movie Title / Year / Length - This one is straightforward. Basic facts. Some of the titles are so long they get cut off but by entering in the first few words you should find what you're looking for. I will add that you WILL find some TV shows and limited-run series on the list. Why? Because I barely watch TV shows. So why would have an entirely separate rankings list for like... 8-10 shows? It makes no sense. Hence, they've been thrust into the movie batch and hilariously offer the longest watch times under the "length" compared to even the longest 3 and a half hour epics. In case anybody asks why I don't watch TV shows - they're too long. If I'm watching one, I'm binging it HARDCORE. I watched 5 seasons of Jane the Virgin in like... 2 1/2 weeks. By comparison, I could have watched, what? 30 movies in that same time span? TV shows have their value and they make wonderful background theater but even I have my limits.

Genre - This is such a difficult category to define at times. What exactly separates a movie from being a "comedy" and a "black comedy"? What I did for this process was google the Wikipedia entry for every movie I've seen and typically put whatever the default was there, even if I disagreed with what it said. How is Blade Runner simply labeled "Science Fiction" while Johnny Mnemonic is "Cybperunk Action Thriller"? I'll 100% concede that if you were to comb through this extensive list, you'd find some serious discrepancies between what a movie actually is and what I put for its genre. But there is no perfect measuring system and I defy you to tell me otherwise!

Director / Favorite Actor - The director is very straightforward. I think I bungled creating it and just put the creator of the show for TV shows since each episode can have its own director. For movies, sometimes there were 2-3 that qualified but I settled on one for the orderliness of the spreadsheet. The seriously notable category here is the "Favorite Actor (or actress)" category. Let me make myself very clear - THIS IS NOT THE STAR OF THE MOVIE/SHOW. It's not always the protagonist. Very often it is. But not always. Sometimes a supporting character can blow me out of the water and steal the mantle away. I did this in order to make it very clear the actors and actresses I like and don't like. For example - Russell Crowe, John David Washington, Rachel McAdams, Zoey Deutch, Christian Bale, and Jessica Chastain? That's probably gonna be a good time for me. But, Johnny Depp or Will Smith? I'm probably not gonna enjoy it. I know, I'm the weirdo in this scenario. On the odd occasion, even one of my favorite actors will produce a dud while one I have a distaste for will begrudgingly receive a "aight they were pretty decent in that". 

Will I Rewatch? / Word Count - Arguably the most underrated category. Do I want to rewatch a movie? This is such a unique category because I can watch a phenomenal movie such as Roma, for example, and while I was enthralled by it and adored the way it was shot - it can run at a glacial pace at a point. That pace served the narrative given the sudden high-intensity situations. But not knowing when those scenes are? I don't have a strong urge to rewatch it. Perhaps that can change in 2-3 years. Time typically favors older movies in this sense so I've left this category be fluid and if I ever feel the itch to rewatch something that was previously marked otherwise, I'll make that adjustment. I will never rewatch TV shows. I don't understand people who do. I guess it's kinda like people who replay mammoth 80+ hour JRPGs? The heathens. Finally, word count is my own private individual reviews that I do for myself to remember how I felt about a piece of work. They're not good. Hence why I haven't made them public. I'm not using Letterboxd. Don't even recommend it. 

So yea! If I can get even 1-2 people here to watch About Time or Gone Girl, I think this post will have been worth it. Back to video games! 

• Like 3