RealM722's Trophy Cabinet

realm722

What a hell of a read!

Add me to the list of folk who pretty much read anything that you decide to write here - and I don't see that changing any time soon, it has been a constant source of interest, and I'm looking forward to whatever strange and esoteric games you bring to our attention next year. 

I said to you a while back, that it's always refreshing to be able to read someone's opinion on a game you liked, but they didn't and when they are written as eloquently as yours are - you can't help but go " I don't agree, but I can absolutely see why they didn't like it, well said!" You did such a good job of that with Armikrog, which I totally get why you didn't like, and I liked it for almost the exact reasons that you didn't, yet I still enjoyed reading about your thoughts on it regardless.

I look forward to our inevitable debate over The Last Guardian once I get to it in 2022, because I suspect as I love Shadow of the Colossus I'll probably more than likely forgive that CatDogBird being an absolute fanny, and just shrug my shoulders and go " well he's an animal I guess"

I'm sure Drippy will be overjoyed at the tidy prize he won courtesy of Realmyboy!! He's a really infectious character, one that I fully expected to irritate me a bit, but he's just so damn charming, that you can't help but love him!

Final Fantasy VII was always going to pick up the top prize, but I'm so glad that that game spoke to you in a similar way to how the original did all the way back on the PS1, so in a way it proves that whatever form that story takes, it can still hook people in the same way.

It's too tempting to pick out specifics from this whole thing, but I'll leave it at that, I loved the whole thing.

I'm planning to put my own little end of year post together in the next week, so you'll get shouted out quite a lot in that, I've played quite a few awesome games as a result of either your own awesome recommendations, or your review inflaming someone else's interest, then piquing my interest again, like a long chain of awesomeness! So well done for that!

Thanks for the shoutout by the way! It's been a blast being able to pop in contribute and have an awesome thing to read on the regular, and I look forward to that going into the year ahead!

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 4

I don't always comment, but I always enjoy reading your long posts. I'm also glad you finally got around to playing my girl Shantae! A few thoughts as I read through your review, as I don't think I've ever talked about the series...

• One of the things I've always appreciated about WayForward is that even though Shantae and her friends are clearly sexualized, it's done more in a comical, light-hearted way than the usual perverted stuff you'll get in anime. Most of the content in the game is like that, like you said. It just comes across as very inoffensive.
  • The jokes are hit-or-miss. I personally like Squid Baron, but I can see how the fourth wall breaks can be annoying. (They do that with his character in every game in the series.)
  • The Shantae series is the reason I don't have a separate category for "Metroidvania" games in my checklist thread. Risky's Revenge is the only one that I think belongs in that genre. Pirate's Curse is...iffy. The most recent ones are 100% action platformers, as far as I'm concerned.
  • You picked the hardest game in the series to start with. You'll have a much easier time with Half-Genie Hero and Seven Sirens, if you decide to play them.
  • Every Shantae game has a solid trophy list. Sometimes you have to play through the game one too many times, but it never felt like a chore to me.
  • "Run Run Rottytops" is my favorite track in the series. Even if the trophy associated with it suuucks.
  • I stand by Pirate's Curse being my favorite in the series. It's hard to say now because it's been so long since I played it, but I think they made Shantae too OP in the newer games.
  • Shantae for Smash!

You're making me question whether or not I should recommend Pirate's Curse now.

• Like 1

On 21/12/2021 at 2:26 AM, realm722 said:

RealM722's Games Played in 2021 Year-In-Review

Whether y'all just made a one-off comment for browsing a specific game and had helped me thanks to a useful guide or tip OR were a frequent follower in this weird corner of the internet where we all care about trophies and making dedicated personal checklists about them, I sincerely appreciate all y'all lovely folk for your kindness and charity. This is one of the few bastions of online interaction I have left where I still feel like I get to partially know a bit more about the anonymous user on the other side. I hope everyone is doing splendid and can enjoy a peaceful end to the year before 2022 rolls around. I'm currently enjoying my yearly JRPG to end the year and am off to a wonderful start and can't wait for it to be my first review come the new year. Until then!

Thanks for the mention! It's great to read your in depth reviews on games & it looks like you gave a decent rating to a few of the games that I plan on playing in the future so it's good to know that I probably enjoy those. I look forward to more reviews that you do in the future as your are always great.

Edited by Destructor-8
  • Like 1

On 12/21/2021 at 8:58 AM, Arcesius said:

Happy to re-read the nice words you have for Furi (and Jotun... those are nice words you have for Jotun, right? ?), and it's always great to see how a single game can resonate with someone on such a level as FF7R did with you :) 

Thank you for the kind words - and yes absolutely on Jotun! I highly recommend it to people who enjoy a good challenge and getting a little bit better each time while playing a boss. I looked back through your thread(thank you for the beautiful organized OP that made it a breeze to find :D) to find your review and had fun reliving the game a bit from your fresh eyes after having played it. 

On 12/21/2021 at 2:11 PM, YaManSmevz said:

My wife also binged on Jane the Virgin not long ago... which means I also binged on it. At first I thought it was cheesy and silly, but then I remembered that telenovelas are supposed to be like that (fond memories, man.. those things seriously got me through puberty?) and before long I was enjoying it right alongside her. Even still when one of us are sweatin somethin the other's like "inhala... exhala..."

This made me so happy to read haha, Jane the Virgin is a BRILLIANT couples show. I also need to state for the record that I was #TeamMichael forever and always. 

On 12/22/2021 at 1:52 PM, rjkclarke said:

I look forward to our inevitable debate over The Last Guardian once I get to it in 2022, because I suspect as I love Shadow of the Colossus I'll probably more than likely forgive that CatDogBird being an absolute fanny, and just shrug my shoulders and go " well he's an animal I guess"

I think as Arcesius said, the game would be 10x more bearable if the developers didn't choose just the most bizarre and infuriating trophy list I've ever seen concocted. It's like they were cackling to themselves about what specific weaknesses of the game would be worst exposed and said "these dummies are really gonna have to do all this if they want the platinum muahaha!". Like making a sports game where the trophy is listening to 100 hours of sports commentary. OR an action/Fromsoftware game and there were trophies like: "spend 5 hours reading lore from the in-game books". Why would you highlight THAT part of your game? It'll be a fun discussion regardless :P

On 12/22/2021 at 6:24 PM, Cassylvania said:

You're making me question whether or not I should recommend Pirate's Curse now.

After my review, I decided to go ahead and scout some opinions by Shantae fans on YouTube and was really surprised by how much the series had changed over the years. Pirate's Curse was a huge switch-up from the previous games with the animal transformations and I'll admit that I easily understand how this one is the favorite of the series for many. In a weird way, I've appreciated the game more since finishing it than in the moment while playing it? I absolutely love the soundtrack and made a stupid Tua highlights video to the tune of Spiderweb Island's music. At some point when the games go on sale in the future and some time has passed, I'll 100% pick up Half-Genie Hero or Seven Sirens. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

H2x1_NSwitchDS_IslandSaver.jpg

Game: Island Saver (DLC Update - Fantasy Island)

Original Game Review: Here is my original review of the free game Island Saver from back on June 8th, 2020.

So my first game that I've completed in 2022 isn't technically a new one. Rather, Island Saver was a nice and cheap game produced by developer Stormcloud Games. They worked in combination with NatWest (a real banking company in the United Kingdom) to make this strange but surprisingly not awful kid's game teaching the basics of banking and importance of cleaning up polluted environments. I likened it to a mix of Slime Rancher + Viva Piñata Baby Edition. Sadly, this free game and its developers were very astute in finding a way to get money out of me despite getting the original game for free and that was by including a paid DLC update with trophies! Yea... I'm not proud that I succumbed to these tactics either but I was sick of having this easy peasy 100% uncompleted on my profile. Plus, I could rationalize the $5 cost of the DLC with trophies as giving a lil nod to the developers making a not-completely-ass console game that was free. Was it worth it in the end?

Would I recommend Island Saver: Fantasy Island? Eh. I mean.. it's more of the same. If you didn't like the base game, you won't enjoy the DLC as what it honestly does is just offer more of the same. There are some more animals. You have to go clean up some more islands, and you get two different ridable mounts. I will say, given I hadn't touched the game in a year and a half, I can acknowledge there is something therapeutic about the simplistic design and slowly but surely picking up all the polluted plastic, metals, and glasses in your Succ Vacuum which breathes life into the habitat once it's all cleaned up. It's pretty easy to see why kids would enjoy it. The trophies are ridiculously straightforward. Just play the game normally while picking up the easy-to-find scattered golden eggs and you'll earn 100% in less than 2 hours. I'll admit I got lost for a little bit since I didn't know how to progress buying the seeds (click the options button ya dummy) as well as not knowing the button to press to deploy the builder drone (triangle ya dingus). My weirdest criticism would be that there aren't enough actual garbage posts to receive ALL of the garbage you find on any one island. They fill up too quickly. What does this force the player to do? Pick an isolated area that isn't forced to be 100% cleared (I choose the little path to the fire zone where the Dragon island is) and just DUMP THAT PLACE FULL OF TRASH. Any trash leftover I couldn't throw away in the containers on a specific island? Run here and dump it. That has to be a metaphor for the way nations have resorted to dealing with their waste in real life. Nonetheless, I'm happy I got the easy 4.82% rarity 100% completion in a whooping... 1 year and 7 months now! I don't think I'll be ending up on any fastest achievers leaderboards anytime soon. Happy to be back and I'm very much looking forward to my next real review of the 1st new game of 2022!

Panda Score: 6.5 / 10

Fantasy Island DLC: 6.5 / 10

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy Realm, just wanted to drop in quickly...

I first came across your checklist when you made that other checklist about your favourite checklists... (checklist, checklist, checklist)

I've really enjoyed reading quite a hefty amount of writing from yourself over the last month or so as a result of that. I really like that your own voice and personality comes through in your writing. It's quite unique like that as it's almost like I'm entering your stream of consciousness every time I come here. I also really like that you sprinkle in little articles that aren't game reviews because you just want to talk about something else.

You've reinforced my desire to play Furi, The Banner Saga, Islanders, Slay the Spire and Spiritfarer... and if I enjoy TBS, I'll also check out Ash of Gods based purely on your own recommendation. So... thank you, I'm going to add myself to your followers so I can keep lurking away!

• Like 2

492911cbb58b6751a09f0c28b1362f5fb8ef3c15

Game: The Deer God

Analysis: I bought this game for $2.49 back in late August 2021 and I finally got around to playing it. Get ready for a whole lot of info on a game you know likely nothing about.

Why this game? Honestly? The reason I purchased it was 1) It was cheap. 2) It had a pretty decent platinum rate (15%). 3) It didn't seem like it'd take that long. That was enough for me to take a flyer on it. Why did it sit on the back burner for so long? Because of some dreaded posts that pointed out how some of the mechanics in the game were glitchy and could cause some trophies to bug out. I do not do bugged/glitched trophies. I suffered enough with Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life and those idiotic harvest sprite cutscenes not popping. Yet, back in October, I remember scrolling through @DrBloodmoney's thread and finding a review of the game. I thought to myself "eh... if Doc did it, I imagine it can't be that bad." Given I was still missing a 3rd platinum for January and the eternity that it is taking me to complete Dragon Quest 11, it was time for the Deer God to step up to the plate. How'd he do? Well....

I began playing the game virtually blind. After a brief initial cutscene (there's actually some voice acting in this which stunned me), you're a baby deer. A fowl. The issue? I didn't know how to interact with characters or eat as the game explains NONE of that. I saw my food bar (green in the top left) slowly whittling away. This trophy guide from PlaystationTrophies is VERY helpful and I recommend those about to dive in take a brief glance beforehand as the game doesn't explain much and I don't get much fun from discovering core mechanics on my own. I tried clicking ⬇ on the D-Pad and it did nothing. I had to hit the TOUCHPAD of all things in order to eat plants and interact with NPCs. The general gist of the game is this - 1) Don't die like an idiot as a baby deer without any lives since it only delays your progress. This was VERY hard initially for me as you're a weakling as a baby and there are death spikes EVERYWHERE that instantly kill you. 2) Run right. Always. Eventually, the game will spawn what you need to progress. Simple as that. I played casually and whenever I came across a shrine, I would use this helpful video to learn what the hell to do as otherwise the game is way too obtuse for the solutions for some of them. These give you powers. You need all 10 of them for a trophy! There are also bosses you must kill. They're hidden, but they'll pop up eventually and you'll know when they do appear as an obvious boss health bar appears when you face them. I should mention, the story is ridiculously short. You can beat it in 30-40 minutes just running right if you know what you're doing. All of the miscellaneous nonsense is where most of your time will go in this game. 

Time To Be Honest - This game... isn't very good. There's a lot I didn't like about it. The simple fact is, it feels like it's just barely holding itself altogether. At any moment, I'm convinced I'm going to glitch the game into infinity and have a permanently un-platinumable title on my resumé. Let's go through what I disliked. 1) The idiotic, glitchy, 10th power-up lightning shrine. I tried this 10 times using the methods mentioned HERE, HERE, and HERE. They all DIDN'T work for me. I was starting to get antsy. What did I do for the solution? SHOVE THE BLOCKS ON TOP OF THE PURPLE LIGHTS. IT THEN IMMEDIATELY WORKED AND THE TROPHY POPPED. Don't ask me why. Don't ask me how. I was just relieved to see the trophy popped. 2) The death system. Wow, this system is ass. Early on, with zero "deer heads" (which are like a lives system from the early 2000s-era of games), you will reset your progress back to a baby deer if you ever stupidly fling yourself into spikes. The funny thing is, once you're an adult for long enough, you'll rack up so many deer lives the sheer difficulty of the game disintegrates and death becomes a minor 10 seconds inconvenience. 3) "Collect 25 eggs." "Find 10 turnips." "Collect 10 skunk cabbages." These trophies are all nonsesical. Why? The way you get items in this game is by hitting bushes/barrels/killing bosses. But if you hit these bushes/barrels WITHOUT a "clover" (an item drop you can get), you'll get barely anything. What does this mean? Even after running 50k meters and beating the game, getting all powers, etc... I didn't have the materials for these trophies. The reason? If you don't get a clover from a bush/barrel - it's really hard to get another one since their drops from bushes without a clover are atrocious. Wanna know the loophole I found? Find one of the 3 random boss battles. There's usually a cave entrance. Go inside, pop a Snake Venom, kill it. Collect items. Go outside. QUIT TO MAIN MENU. Go back inside cave. BOSS RESPAWNS. This allows you to farm the boss for items infinitely. I got the items in no time after this. This is also HUGELY helpful for the "Cow Tipper" trophy which asks you to kill 10 cows. I was at 104 days in my save. I had only seen 2 cows previously. The solution? Find a barn. Kill cows. Quit to main menu. Log back in. Do over and over again until enough cows spawn and you get the trophy. Otherwise, this trophy will singlehandedly extend your play-time by 6-7+ hours due to RNG. 

Would I recommend The Deer God? I think this is a pass for most of your honestly. Listen, there are some decent elements here. It's cool to be a deer with powers. The "combat" is bare bones as hell but passable. It's kinda interesting to just... play as a deer. The constantly randomly generated world as you run to the right is fine if a bit uninspired after 2 hours. Doing some of the random trophies like riding a train was cool. But I don't think I can properly say I enjoyed the game. It was a mindless background activity to have my attention on while listening to my backlog of Play, Watch, Listen podcasts that I was catching up on. For a "mindless" game, the glitchiness/silliness of the trophies wore on me a bit. It's not difficult. It's just more trouble than it's worth. I think that's why while I agree with Doc's review that the game is a "meditative/artful experience" vs. an attempt at a challenging platformer, the meditative and relaxing elements just get ruined when I'm tired of holding right just to see a bloody cow spawn or the final boss dungeon I need. I earned the 15.54% rarity platinum in 1 day and 3 hours. Maybe this is the sort of game that I'd view better if I didn't care much for trophies. But I also likely would never have touched it without being a trophy hunter so... live by the trophy, die by the trophy?

Panda Score: 5.9 / 10

Panda Difficulty: 2.8 / 10

On 1/19/2022 at 10:44 PM, GonzoWARgasm said:

You've reinforced my desire to play Furi, The Banner Saga, Islanders, Slay the Spire and Spiritfarer... and if I enjoy TBS, I'll also check out Ash of Gods based purely on your own recommendation. So... thank you, I'm going to add myself to your followers so I can keep lurking away!

Aww, thank you man! I've seen you randomly drop a like on reviews from months ago here and there and it makes me feel a bit more normal given I do the exact same on other people's checklists on here when I'm curious to see how they've felt about a game ?. My writing process got a lot better entering 2020 and there's a part of me that wishes I could go back and do some of my 2019 games better justice. I have an extremely poor memory and it frustrates me when I'm not able to recall how I felt about something so I try and pour all of myself into a review when the time comes. Sometimes it makes for a decent read haha. All of those games are ones I adore and I really believe after briefly scouting your profile (Mass Effect) you can come to adore the TBS Trilogy as I have. The dudes who made it were ex-Bioware employees! Feel free to pop in any time and also DM me if you have any game-specific questions for trophies too!

Edited by realm722
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, realm722 said:

I remember scrolling through @DrBloodmoney's thread and finding a review of the game. I thought to myself "eh... if Doc did it, I imagine it can't be that bad." Given I was still missing a 3rd platinum for January and the eternity that it is taking me to complete Dragon Quest 11, it was time for the Deer God to step up to the plate. How'd he do? Well....

Haha - after that review, I feel like I should offer an apology or something ??

The fact is, we do kind of agree - I think in all the ways Deer God tries to be a meditative, zen experience, it succeeds. Every time it tries to be a game... it fails.

I have to admit - I did very much enjoy the visuals and the feel of it - the simple sensation of jumping around as a deer, and admiring the scenery I liked... but yeah, the scattershot mishmash of genres and the odd pacing is a problem, and the less said about the "combat", the better!

• Like 3

a95c56405b928abc2af3352d2c123dea438f4be5

Game: A Hat in Time (DLC Update - Seal the Deal & Nyakuza Metro)

Analysis: I bought both of these respective DLCs for $5 apiece coming out to $10 total. I originally played through the base game in August of 2019 and wrote a review on here in Oct. 2019. My general thoughts were "hey that was a super fun, cute, 3D platformer that was well-done and had some really great moments in some of the boss fights with some occasional less than ideal sections such as Subcon Forest." I enjoyed the game, but I wouldn't consider it a personal All-Time favorite like it has become for some people. Have these DLC packs changed that opinion? Let's break them down one by one.

Nyakuza Metro DLC - Nyakuza Metro provides the 6th and final hub world of the game as far as I know. It's a super cute concept. Imagine you're in a subway and instead of trains busying about, they're not run on fuel but rather cat power! You have to explore each level and find the various timepieces in order to satisfy your Cat Yakuza Boss. Along with finding timepieces, you'll need to buy the necessary colored metro passes in order to gain more access to the world. All of the challenges and tasks here are decent. Considering I had spent more than 2 years away from the game, I was just enjoying learning Hat Kid's basic moveset again, as well as all the functions of her different hats. None of these challenges were too difficult and a lot of the timepieces can be found by just paying the help desk 100 pons for a direct path. There are 10 to be found in total. You'll be able to fly through this while collecting the necessary trophies since the relics aren't that tricky to find if you're properly exploring and the stickers can be easily completed with this guide. I don't think it's a bad DLC, just more of the same in another fine setting. If I had to give it a score, we'll give it a 6.8 / 10 for just being a nice return visit to the game after so much time has passed.

The Arctic Cruise - The Arctic Cruise is technically the 5th hub world you'll unlock and there are half the timepieces available here. You're on a cruise ship run by a bloody walrus! I've gotta be honest, I was VERY confused about how to get around the ship when I first started playing. How do I get over there? Where's the captain? Why is going across the pool deck such an inconvenience? HOW many doors are there? This becomes a particular pain with the "Minimum Shippable" trophy that tasks the user to complete a series of tasks running from one end of the ship to another in a quick amount of time to ensure the walrus captain doesn't get upset. I failed to get the trophy twice on my first two attempts. By the third attempt, I had a good familiarity with the ship and knew where I needed to go each time. My biggest complaints here would be that one room in particular - the vertical green garden room - is a HUGE pain in the ass to quickly ascend with the limited pathing given. You fall off at an inopportune moment and it can absolutely kill your time. I properly enjoyed this hub world a bit less than Nyakuza Metro since the challenges were a bit less fun, the pathing was a pain (the sunken ship final task... ugh... some of the camera hell on that cruise ship when Hat Kid is falling sideways is completely disorientating). Combined with the fact the novelty of returning the game had worn off a little, I'd give this one a slightly lesser score of a 6.6 / 10 for not bringing that much of a fun challenge to the table. Thankfully, the final section of the DLC made it all worthwhile.

Death Wish Challenges - GOOD LORD IS THIS WHAT I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR WITH THIS GAME. Oh my god, this is SO MUCH FUN. What are Death Wish challenges? Essentially, the jerk contract scammer from the Subcon Forest has another scam he wants you to fall for and gives you a huge array of tasks to complete. Remixed levels, extra hard bosses, no-jump level challenges, time limits on rift challenges, and overall provides a huge step-up in difficulty compared to the base game. It is magnificent. Now, I will add - there is an "Assist Mode" you can turn on that elevates your health from 4 hits to 8 hits AND allows you to regenerate your health if you stand still for long enough. I turned it on. I still had a blast with the challenges. Unless you're an expert at the game or have played it a lot recently, I think you can still have a ton of fun here making the same adjustment. This section was a joy since it was fun to play more difficult levels with a unique twist and the developers essentially saying: "you want pain? Come get it." That ramped-up Windmill challenge kicked my butt and I had a blast while getting my ass handed to me. The revamped bosses? LISTEN TO THIS MUSIC. Now take a 20-minute break. NOW IMAGINE LISTENING TO THIS DURING THE FINAL BOSS. The music is disgustingly good and the boss fights with increased difficulty are astonishingly enjoyable. Seriously - @realm722 - please remember you dummy, make a "Best Boss Fight" Award for the end of the year just so I can give the award to A Hat in Time - Death Wish Challenge DLC. Some of the challenges were tedious (Snatcher's hit list, finding EVERY pon/collectible in the community rifts, Snatcher coins) but they all shouldn't take too long to complete. My two biggest complaints with this DLC would be 1) It's idiotic how all the hub worlds reset to their beginning and I was forced to unlock all of Subcon Forests and the alternate paths in Alpine Skyline. Made getting certain Death Wish Challenge items a complete pain in the ass. 2) THE FREAKING IDIOTIC EMOTE BUTTON "L3" THAT THEY ADDED. Listen to me, please, if you're gonna play this - YOU CAN DISABLE IT. I foolishly pushed forward ignoring how it would frequently make me take damage as my hat kid could no longer move but there is an option in the menus to turn it off. PLEASE DO SO. I died on the very last Snatcher fight in "Seal the Deal" due to the fact I hit it at the most inopportune moment. Wish it had never been enabled from the beginning as I must have hit it accidentally 50-60 times while playing through all the DLCs. This is easily an 8.3 / 10 DLC and the best of the lot. 

Would I recommend A Hat in Kid: Seal the Deal & Nyakuza Metro DLC? Absolutely. Simply because of how fun the Death Wish challenges are. This is DLC done to perfection. It offered everything I could have wanted to be added to the base game and makes it accessible for all those who are coming back to the game after a hiatus and for that I absolutely love it. It took me a few days to complete these DLCs and I noticed my total time according to the PS5 time tracker jump from 15 hours total play-time to 31 hours. So around 16 hours in this DLC? That sounds about right given the trial-and-error I suffered through and having to backtrack through some of the hub worlds again. My final stats now say it took me 2 years and 5 months to achieve the 1.72% rarity 100% completion. Not too shabby! If you haven't already, get some A Hat in Time in your life as it's pretty much Super Mario 64 if you just turned Mario into a know-it-all spunky gal!

Panda Score: 7.9 / 10

Panda DLC Score: 7.7 / 10

• Like 3

the-videokid-switch-hero.jpg

Game: The VideoKid

Analysis: I bought this game for $1.24 back in mid-October 2020 and what a surprise of a gem it turned out to be!

Why this game? Honestly, it was a cheap and relatively easy 100%. I didn't go in expecting much and I was very surprised by how perfectly this game suits my tastes. It's an endless runner.... but it's not. There is a destined, clear ending. Let's call it a finite runner! The entire game can be beaten in a handful of minutes. Your job is to get there without hitting anything once. I'll openly admit this - the game is NOT fair. As in, it'll throw obstacles in your way that you could not POSSIBLY know how to dodge until you die to them 1-2 times. This is seen most blatantly with the 2nd sewer pipe and having to hit the switch before a train hits you, OR discovering what things can be jumped on and what cannot be jumped on OR the very end when the evil red car starts shooting things at your skateboard to knock you off and you have and unless you have the reflexes of a cat there's ZERO chance you'll realize this on your first attempt. The good news? While there is some randomness, the general layout and "obstacles" the game throws at you stay the same. This means that with enough experience, you'll be able to know where you should typically be the majority of the time. I personally opted to ALWAYS stick to the sidewalk unless there was an oncoming pedestrian. I'd switch to the "middle" lane, but virtually never ventured into the far-right third lane. After about 55 minutes of woeful attempts of mostly dying between 10-25%, I started to go much further and eventually beat the game for the very first time. 

Would I recommend The VideoKid? Absolutely. If a trial-and-error challenge sounds like your jam, I think you can have just as good a time with this as I did. After beating the game the first time, you'll need to go back at it and beat it two more times. Thankfully, with your wealth of knowledge getting back to the end shouldn't be so tricky. Scooping up the 30 videotapes for a trophy on a single run initially seemed very daunting for me given there are sometimes obstacles that make it IMPOSSIBLE to complete the throw (big-headed pedestrians). Still, there are more than 30 and I got this on my first attempt so just keep trying it. Aside from that, literally, all the other trophies relate to earning enough $$$ in-game to purchase cosmetics. Making it to the end and scooping up the key gems that earn $50 (2nd sewer, far left and the train jump) will have you earn the trophies in no time. I personally earned the 24.81% rarity 100% in a mere 1 hour and 43 minutes. That places me as the 5th fastest achiever on PSNProfiles and 33rd overall first achiever. It's quite surprising to me how underplayed it is given qualtiy and the fact the game has been out on PS4 since 2017. It's sweet and simple and provides the exact sorta loop and experience I'd like to get out of a 100% completion. It'll also be a wonderful reminiscing of the '80s for many of y'all since you'll find the game's interpretation of Jessica Rabbit, Big Bird, Ducktales, The Terminator, Chucky, Jack the Ripper, the Ninja Turtles, etc... all walking throughout the world as obstacles. Check it out!

Panda Score: 7.0 / 10

Panda Difficulty: 2.7 / 10

• Like 3

On 1/7/2022 at 6:59 PM, realm722 said:

the-forgotten-city-header.jpg

Game: The Forgotten City

Ayo I been meaning to respond to this one now that I finally completed the game.

First of all, love the whole sister's first platinum thing, and that you got to witness her enjoyment of completing the entire game, that sounds like an awesome experience! I converted my sister when we were pretty young, so while she's not a trophy hunter (she's stayed on the Nintendo course) I can definitely relate!

Galerius is the best boy to have best boy'd since Conner from Detroit: Become Human.

Facts.

Desius is the Classic Capitlistic Prick who WOULD exist in a town of such stringent rules. Malleolus and Domitius try to bully their way to power. The giant twist at the end when you realize Magistrate Sentius is a genuine freak is utterly delicious.

And Aurelia's bitch ass! I love that when you find out about her little scam you can be like "I already know you're a horrible person, so fuck off." The whole twist with Sentius was brilliant, it was pretty horrifying to see what he'd been up to. And equally rewarding to shoot him in the face!

That blew my freakin mind. I remember how it lets you know that from jump street, like they were so proud of this accomplishment (and rightly so!) that they couldn't help but share that astonishing feat. If I were to pick three friends and try to embark on something like this, the end result would be nothing close to this level of quality, trust - we'd probably end up making something like that E.T. game from '82 and spark another video game crash?

Have you ever wondered how it would go for you if you had to discuss genuine philosophy with someone thousands of years ago? How utterly earth-shattering some of the things we have taken for granted in terms of our modern understanding compared to what was commonplace in their time. TFC finds a good balance between genuinely exploring those topics and offering some enlightening and thought-provoking discussions that could take place while also being willing to dabble in the goofy side of things as well.

They did a great job with this. Like when you're asking Sentius about the city in the beginning and he points out the similarities between his and your time, or the hilarity of Equitia equating memes to hieroglyphics!

How did TFC not bungle this? Well for one, essentially every line of dialogue is skippable which allows you to FLY through this game if you're trophy hunting while also being generous to get back to different dialogue branches and allowing you to pick different options. As opposed to having to complete repetitive tasks - your boy Galerius saves the entire city from itself and does in 5 minutes what it likely took you 5+ hours to accomplish.

YES. This game could've been a real drag to complete once you'd gotten an ending or two, but this was a brilliant bypass. Then when I consulted a guide after my first couple of playthroughs I saw there's a way to finish without even bothering with the golden bow. Like they really thought out how we could have so many ways to play this game, it's so impressive.

So imagine my delight when my sister let out a shriek of panic when the very first gangly golden statue came running at her. I wish I had recorded it. She was so petrified by the game that after pausing it as the creature came running at her and a 10-minute debate, she made me play through this entire section of the game as we slowly crawled past each corner sniping the statues as they came at us.

I love this???

There are loading screens in-game which feels like a serious blast to the past. This was the first "PS5" game I've technically played and the loading times were extremely quick so they weren't much of a bother, but on PS4 they are quite brutal.

Yes they are. I was surprised at how long they were - I wish I had timed them, they seriously felt like snack makin/bathroom breakin length.

The running/platforming is quite clunky. I felt this worst of all while climbing up the sewers to reach Sentilla. Took me a good while to actually learn how to jump across to the vines since if you aren't facing the controller upwards, your dude will just fall down and potentially kill himself if he doesn't land in the water which happened to me once.

That happened to me more times than I'd care to admit! And dying sucks because it would take another minute or so before you could resume! The first time I died was from taking for granted there would be railing or something while going up to where Ulpius and Lulia were via the stairs by where you start. Definitely a rude awakening!

Thankfully, the game is so short that I still believe you should experience a blind playthrough(at the very least to the canon ending).

I'm honestly skeptical whenever anybody says "I wish I could forget I watched/heard/played this piece of media so I can experience it all over again" but those words genuinely perfectly encapsulate how much I wish I could experience TFC all over again.

Agreed pretty hard on both counts. This game genuinely made me not want to go to a guide right away, I was just so fascinated and too engrossed to really care about guides or trophies or anything like that - I just wanted to know what happened next! Ugh. Great game, and again a great review, sir!

• Like 1

Glad you enjoyed the game ? yep, I am the textbook "gimme a proper story or I am going to rage" guy ? and Apotheon did good in that department at least imo. 

The collectible part is true, I forgot about it! It truly was one of the few games where collectibles weren't a hindrance and were accessible from the get-go. This game had quite a few interesting points that made it memorable. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, it could be funny question for many of you, but: how to activate the trophy cabinet view in profile?

I have only "rarest trophies" and "trophies milestone" in my profile site (of course with premium membership):

https://psnprofiles.com/sccorp84

This all-star guy for example:

https://psnprofiles.com/ikemenzi

has the trophy cabinet.

Am I blind or something? I can't find this option in settings.

Glad for help, have a nice day!

Edited by sccorp84

So there's one last post that needs to be made on this thread before it ticks over to a new page and since I would hate for my elaborate HFW review to get buried at the very bottom of a page - I figure I'll briefly mention some upcoming article ideas I have in mind to write about apart from my typical reviews after I've played a game.

"200+ Games In Hindsight - What Did I Get Wrong? - With over 200 games completed, it feels quite justifiable to actually take a brief glimpse at all my ratings over these 3+ years and say, with perspective now, "I feel differently about this game now than I felt after having played it." Some games would jump tiers and others would fall in them. I think I'm not alone in saying that I've had my opinion of a game degrade or increase over time compared to how I felt after I played it. Especially as my gaming repertoire grows in variety.  

"I Care About Graphics" - One thing that I'll very frequently find said about the gaming landscape is - "oh man graphics don't matter GAMEPLAY matters". Those people aren't wrong. Gameplay is king. But damn if it doesn't help if games are gorgeous to look at. I enjoy plenty of indies but there is an undeniable spectacle to jaw-dropping games that take a billion dog years to create that absolutely still have a special effect on me compared to more cartoonish/art style dependent games. 

"Do All Games Need An Easy Mode?" - This is a real underrated subject I've been itching to talk about for a while now. It's floored me that on here, Twitter, Reddit, & YouTube that nobody ever talks about the difficulty in games and whether or not extremely games that tend to offer a sizable challenge should have a mode that aids players that are less skilled than their veteran counterparts. I really think there's a lot of unworked terrain in this field and I think I can get the movement for this discussion started on this little boat of mine. This is a joke pls don't @ me

Now with that out of the way, here's my 3rd largest review ever!

• Like 3