Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
realm722

RealM722's Trophy Cabinet

83 posts in this topic

maxresdefault.jpg

Game: Battleship

Analysis: We have quite the classic here. I bought Battleship for $5.99 when it went on sale in mid-October 2019. I didn't have a 100% completion on my profile resumé since Fez in late July, so I figured it was about time to have one I could properly complete so it's not just a sea of blue on my profile. I figured, hey, I've 100%'d Scrabble, how difficult could Battleship be? Plus, it's nice to have a classic board game like this at convenience on a game system. If you've ever played, you know the deal. Sink the opposing teams ships by varying your missile shots and try to spread yours out in a way that you don't think the opposing player(in this case CPU) would easily identify. All you really have to do is play through all the campaign missions which totals like 30 or so, and none but a few where you're put at a disadvantage at the start is all that difficult. I quite liked saving my missiles up until I could do the full straight coordinate spread. In the end, I achieved the 9.03% 100% completion marker in just 1 day and 46 minutes! Unbelievably, it's the 26th fastest to accomplish it on PSNProfiles! I wasn't even setting out to accomplish that. All in all, it's decent mindless fun while you do something else. 

Panda Score: 6.5 / 10

H2x1_NSwitchDS_TheMessenger_image1600w.j

Game: The Messenger

Analysis: I love this game. Unbelievably, I managed to get it for free thanks to an amazing user on here by the name of iGGTheEnd. They literally just messaged me a code they got from the developers since I had expressed interest on another post in playing this. The only reason I knew about the game was because YouTuber Joseph Anderson streamed it! I knew he quite enjoyed it and I figured what the heck, I'd love to give it a shot too since I had forgotten much about it. But oh my goodness.... this game is magnificent. It's a platformer that is linear for the 1st half and then splits into a 16-bit metroidvania. I will say, there are some pacing issues in that 2nd half portion since it's not as direct as the 1st half of the game but this game is a freaking delight to play. I don't brag about soundtracks as much as many other people do with their games, BUT OH MY GOD THIS SOUNDTRACK. LISTEN TO IT. My personal favorites are Autumn Hills, Cloud Ruins, and Sunken Shrine. Nonetheless, this game is insanely difficult for me. I know it has a fairly high completion percentage and everything but holy crap I died 830+ times playing through this and the Picnic Panic DLC. I know that's an insane amount for many, but my god the Queen of Quills boss lady? That fight legit took me 40 minutes and I refused to look up a guide. The Arcane Golem at the end of the 1st half? They kicked my ass man. Destroying all of the Power Seals was also tricky since a few rooms were stupidly tricky. I'm not complaining, I enjoyed it and got past it, but this isn't a walk-in-the-park game whatsoever. Thankfully the wonderful witty dialogue with The Shopkeeper is iconic and will be likely what I remember mostly from this game. The windmill shuriken saved my life on the Demon General fight, and it helped greatly in the DLC section which had some brutal parts, but all in all, I earned my 32.28% rarity platinum in just 5 days and 5 hours! Hell, the 100% is a good deal rarer at a 13.79% 100% completion rate. I will never forget my time with this game and I strongly recommend it to everybody who enjoys humor with their games. 

Panda Score: 8.5 / 10

apps.2351.70845836418201978.880fea77-389

Game: Gravel

Analysis: This is a very mediocre game. I bought it for $7.99 during early November 2019 just has a racing game to play since I really wanted something to mindlessly play while listening to other stuff, and Gravel fulfilled it's role in that regard. The game is fairly simple and straightforward where you play through different matchups, try and get 3 stars, and advance the "story" in that sense. I'll be honest and say I'm kind of surprised by how barebones it was. It pales deeply in comparison to any of the NFS games or The Crew 2. I did have some fun getting the 10 online matches after boosting it with Celestial_Lily but all in all there isn't a single memorable thing about this game for me. No open world, maybe the Namibia desert tracks were pretty cool. It only took me 6 days and 14 hours to achieve it but in the end I got my 39.96% rarity platinum. Hope I find another racing game that satisfies me more than this one soon. I'd love to get NFS: Heat given all the positive feedback I've heard on it, but only when it goes on sale for $20 which is 6+ months from now in all likelihood. 

Panda Score: 5.75 / 10

834113.jpg

Game: Heavy Rain

Analysis: I never intended to play Heavy Rain. When it was available for free for PS Plus users back in July 2018, I didn't get it, yet since I did download Detroit: Become Human when it was free for PS Plus users in July 2019 - I got Heavy Rain in that bundle! Cool! I figured what the heck, it shouldn't be too long and I've always heard conflicting things (people who don't normally do in-depth critiques loving it, people with a more critical eye hating it) I decided to dive in. Since I wanted to make sure I got all the trophies - I followed this 10 hour speedrun on YouTube by speedrunner HolySanctum. It's hilarious. Let me say this - there are some great things I genuinely like about Heavy Rain. Playing as Scott Shelby was the best part of the game for me. Being this private investigator, having a partner in Lauren, going around and visiting the victims of this Origami Killer (which once again, cool concept) who drowns his victims by letting rain accumulate over days (once again, cool concept). He was fun to play as, had a good voice actor, and seemed caring (saved the woman in the bath, could save Hassan, cared for the baby) and so forth. Ethan's character is the 2nd best, going through the trials can be agonizing (and at times - hilarious), Madison is 3rd best and while it can be torn to shreds with the sexism and David Cage creepiness (eh I don't harp on it like others to) she has one of the better endings if she alone confronts Scott at the Warehouse and saves Shawn. Jayden's the worst IMO. Awful lietuenant Blake banter (which funnily enough became the BEST part of Detroit: Become Human between the Connor banter with Clancy Brown) just made him uninteresting to play. I'm still impressed that I got "All Endings" and yet there were still a good number of scenes I didn't know about until watching this critique on Heavy Rain. It's nit-picky and heavy handed with the Cage hate, but it is fair in some parts (Jason's death, Madison's scenes, Scott becoming John Wick while being fat and having asthma, oh and he has billions of dollars, oh and he borders between sympathic victim who's suffered and still cares and PSYCHOPATH killer who still wants to kill Ethan?). I dunno - I still liked it. It only took me a little over 3 days to achieve the 12.37% rarity platinum which is pretty nifty. The toughest individual trophies are "Kamikaze" and "I'm not Scared" but besides that smooth sailing. I think the best way I'd describe Heavy Rain is it's good dumb fun. It's not a narrative masterpiece. But it does have some good fun compelling sections that can be enjoyed - and if you play this game with someone who normally doesn't play video games - I imagine it can be a hilarious blast.

Panda Score: 7.1 / 10

23291.jpg

Game: Batman: Arkham Knight

Analysis: I bought this game a good few months ago, in around June of 2019, for $5 during a "4 for $20" deal at Gamestop. Batman: Arkham Knight was one of the games I got for that bundle. To give some background on my Batman knowledge, I enjoyed a full playthrough of this game when it released by a YouTuber by the name of 2BCProductions. Here's the playlist. He is magnificent at personifying Batman and being immersed in the story - I recommend watching it. Even with that, I wanted to finally play one of these games, and my goodness can I say it is the "Batman game to end all Batman games". This game is spectacular. I am not someone who found the combat easy at first. I knew very few of the combinations, and I died plenty to various brutes, and in certain situations where I didn't prepare well enough with my gadgets. Yet the satisfactory combat once you get free-flowing is impeccable. The stealth predator sections are also incredibly fun acting as the hunter as opposed to being the hunted. The two biggest reasons I see for people who criticize this game are 1) the bad PC release which I don't care about whatsoever since that was at release, everything since then has nothing to do with it and 2) the overuse of the Batmobile and it's empty drone fighting sections. I enjoyed the sections with the Batmobile. I thought the combat was pretty decent. Like a 6.5 - 7 out of 10. This is also my first ever Arkham game, and thus, it doesn't feel so out of place as a tank battle simulator like others who will have played Asylum and City. But for me, I did not feel like it took away from the normal Batman sections. In terms of the story? I adored it. Scarecrow feels like a legitimate villain with his fear toxin and wonderfully weeds that element of fear for the entirety of the main story. Joker appearing in Batman's mind is wonderfully done with his constant minor quips at Batman's expanse. The other "Most Wanted" side missions deal with Penguin, Two Face, Riddler, Deacon Blackfire, etc... have their pros and cons. I loved the section with Azrael. I wished there was a better final Deathstroke fight. People can have their complaints involving the Arkham Knight ending up being Jason Todd but I thought it was fantastic. The culmination of the finale where Joker "wins" and takes over Batman, only for his fear of being forgotten be made relevant, and Bruce Wayne fully succumbs to becoming Gotham's Dark Knight... it's immaculate - and it deserves more praise than it gets from your everyday player.

Trophy wise - this game has a fairly precise list. Having to collect all those 243 Riddler trophies was a bit of a grind, but I got through it and it serves as a nice barrier to make the final ending of Knightfall Protocol more rare. I also had a blast with the AR challenges. Going into these little arenas and plucking enemies off one by one whether it be in the Gotham Banks or trying to marathon through an endless slog of goons never gets old. Brutality 101 wasn't tricky at all with the gadgets "glitch" to make it count for the free flow guide I found on YouTube. The real difficulty involving trophies that extended the game's lifecycle was with the DLC. The super short DLC packs involving "A Matter of Family" to Harley Quinn, Batgirl, Robin, Catwoman, Nightwing, etc.. were nothing too special, "Season of Infamy" was great giving Mr. Freeze's ending, deciding whether or not to save Ra's al Ghul, and also Mad Hatter's book section and taking down Killer Croc. The added AR challenges for the Batmobile and Bat family are fun since the gameplay loop is inherently rewarding. The only brutal thing is the final Community Challenge Pack, particularly, 3 trophies specifically. "The Chill in the Air" involves fighting in Crime Alley without getting hit as Batman, Robin, and Nightwing. That took me 4 hours that I achieved at 4AM. "Requiem for a Killer" was a trophy I tried for a today, gave up, and then went at hard again the next day and finally got. You need like a 400 hit combo with endless militia thugs coming at you. I did it, but my god it's the most difficult. Finally, "The Curtain Falls" was probably the easiest for me since I had so much practice with the other two. I flawless freeflowed as Batman, Catwoman, Robin, and Nightwing and locked up all those very rare trophies. In total, Batman: Arkham Knight took me 1 month and 4 days to complete (with on and off playing since I had to re-play the full main story again) and in total I achieve a 7.48% rarity platinum and even far rarer 0.76% 100% completion. It also is my Level 23 level-up trophy. I wouldn't want it any other way. This game is astounding, and I think everyone regardless of their preferences should give it a shot and enjoy such an experience.

Panda Score: 8.5 / 10

3216015-8971768113-PaRap.jpg

Game: PaRappa the Rapper Remastered

Analysis: I bought this game for $4.49 in early December 2019 as it was only the second time in the games history it was on sale! Funnily enough, I would probably have never even glanced twice at this game until Playstation Access member Rosie Caddick mentioned it in one of their videos and I always remembered the game in the back of my mind. It goes on sale, I see it doesn't have an impossible platinum, figure what the heck, let's get it! Here's all the songs and the 6 different stages. I love the first two with the onion in the dojo and the moose teaching you how to drive. The frog is okay. I HATE CHEEP CHEEP because of his stupid ass stage where none of the buttons are actually alligned and instead you have to bash your skull in for a few hours trying to figure out the proper combination. I voiced my frustration here - but FINALLY I achieved it after lucking into cool mode 3 different times and failing, the 4th time I got the job done. The 5th stage is a weird bathroom song, and then the 6th was a celebration. All in all, it's like a 2/10 difficulty game that becomes 5/10 merely because of Stage 4. After I got it done though, I got the remaining secrets and in just 1 day and 3 hours achieved the 17.66% rarity platinum. Now with some perspective and not as much anger over Stage 4 and the stupid "M. I. X. and CRACK CRACK CRACK, but I'm a chick ya beef jerkey!" I enjoyed this game a fair amount. Sweet cute rhythm game that's catchy with 1 infuriating challenge. 

Panda Score: 6.75 / 10

Forgotton-Anne-Cover-Image.jpg

Game: Forgotton Anne

Analysis: To the person reading this... you have no idea how much I wanted to love this game. I have been keeping my eye on it since like early April 2019, and now recently in early November 2019 I purchased it for $7.99, the lowest it has ever been on PS4. I was ecstatic. I always remembered how unique the game looked animation wise and while a puzzle / platformer isn't my favorite genre, there was potential here for this to be a cult classic favorite of mine like Pyre was. First, let's start with the good. Oh my goodness this game is gorgeous. The developers, ThroughLine Games did brilliantly well in their 1st ever game - they're an indie studio from Denmark, they're naturally a smaller team but the looks did not disappoint. Naturally you can tell due to their smaller stature that there were limitations as to how many cutscenes they could implement and everything, but what did come out was outstanding. Secondly, the voice acting was exquisite. I did not even expect the game to have voice acting. Rarely do I go out of my way to look up the performers but Rachael Messer as Anne was fantastic when it came to conveying anger as the Madam Enforcer. Daniel Pierce in his one role as Mr. Fig was great, and Christopher Teller as Bulb was also impressive. Usually in games with tons of VA, there's some cringeworthy lines or stuff that sounds like the characters are just saying lines rather than speaking with one another. This game wonderfully avoids all of that. Props to them.

So what's the problem? The game's gorgeous and the voice acting is a delight. Well... the actual gameplay side of things.... oof. Anne moves like a tank. I can't tell if this is because they had to remain dedicated to the animation style and thus give her so much momentum that makes her clunky to turn around, or the fact they couldn't give her a proper platformer-style jump in order to maintain "realism" but man... it's just clunky to jump around. They do their best with the wing suit to give Anne more air but it always feels like there's a split second delay and it's just not responsive enough to be a good platformer in any way. You can get a running headstart and such but I think the gameplay here was sacrificed for the visuals, or maybe the developers just don't have enough experience yet to achieve that "game-feel" that this needed. Secondly, the puzzles. I LOVE the idea of the arca and manipulating the valves, distilling forgotlings.... but you're never properly challenged. I didn't love FEZ, but I recognized it had some serious complexity. I quite enjoyed The Witness and it's puzzles were thoroughly enjoyable. Hell, The Bridge isn't a favorite of mine yet it had me engaged. Anne doesn't go far enough. It's understandable that there will be budget constraints and some things aren't able to get fully fleshed out - but man to whiff on both of your gameplay elements is a brutal blow to something I wanted to deeply enjoy. 

The game story wise always had me intrigued, but once again it felt like the budget got in the way. You live in the Forgotton Lands as Anne, an enforcer who makes sure the forgotlings (items in the real world that have been forgotten) stay in line. You can distill them (basically... kill them?) by taking away their life source. I was fascinated where this was heading and it leads to the main premise between the divide of sticking with your father figure and what you've known in Bonku VS. joining the rebels, Mr. Fig and Bulb, and fighting for the injustice of these items. That's a damn good premise! Too bad given their small budget they needed to rush one of the endings and you're sort of left feeling a bit empty since you thought there'd be more meat on the bone. This game has flashes of brilliances. Crate Boxton, the scene where you're interrogating Heeltoe and can be Good Cop or Bad Cop, ALL of the Chief Inspector Magnum sections (I love his love for Anne), entering the Rebel Camp, some of the scenes with Mr. Fig, and the fact you're actions and how you treat the forgotlings has CONSEQUENCES at the end of the game when Tick Tock judges you... but the gameplay is a chore to get through. The story isn't deeply sorted out of enough. There's another world where this game has some more polish, a bit more time, a superior gameplay loop (good platforming and compelling puzzles) and it's a cult classic 9/10. Instead, I feel like Throughline Games produced a solid first attempt, but one that falls in the 5-6 / 10 range for most players since they won't be as forgiving as I'll be. It's a 7 for me, but it could have been so much more. I got all 34 trophies in 1 day and 4 hours to achieve the 32.44% rarity platinum. Not a single trophy is very difficult and the plat with wonderful Anne is my 3,500th trophy on my profile. I'm a bit sad this game didn't achieve the heights of a Dead Cells / Pyre / Gravity Rush / The Messenger for me... yet, I will 100% an eye on what Throughline Games produces moving forward! (pls better gameplay)

Panda Score: 7 / 10

You can’t expect every game to deliver. I’ve played my share of shit games.