The one trophy to ruin them all

So I already know there is a topic on this already, but the sheer frustration that I've had to endure for one trophy in this game is comparable to that to the first God of War.

I have this game along with all DLC. A level 25 rune is needed. I have obtained several level 24 runes, one epic 25 rune, two 26 level runes and one 28 level rune, both from the Bright Lord DLC. Those runes from Bright Lord DID NOT COUNT, unless I absolutely have to get one from a Warchief in the DLC.

So a few hours ago I found a good Warchief. Fear of Caragors, can be injured by Combat Finishers. I death threat him and try to build up five bodyguards, so that they can take him out which takes out the chance of an epic rune. Problem is, one of his bodyguards I did not brand is immune to arrows, has a deadly attack, has no last chance struggle, and worst of all is an archer. Every single time I hunted him down he is in a stronghold, and unlike in the Bright Lord DLC where I can just activate the special ability of the One Ring, I have to build a x5 combo. So while berserkers and defenders kick my ass this captain one shots me and then kills me, because there is no last chance. This has happened about six times and I nearly about broke my PS4 controller, to where the touchpad doesn't respond.

I tried to kill individual Captains in the Bright Lord DLC, and despite getting runes above level 25 they do not count. So either the people who say you can get the trophy in the DLC are flat out lying, or I absolutely must have a 25 rune. But why should I if people have gotten the trophy on a level 26 rune in the base game? Maybe the patches made to the game disabled the trophy in the DLC.

The DLC itself is a lot more difficult, and they make you do not one but TWO test challenges. I guess that explains why out of 180K+ game owners, only 1200 of them have 100 percent the game.

This is why I have a high trophy rarity percentage, I prefer easier games that enable the player to earn trophies without having to compete or work real hard to obtain, considering that I am working and am busy with other things in life. I have spent at least 6 - 10 hours on this trophy, and I'm thinking of just throwing in the towel for a few weeks and just work on getting the platinums on Until Dawn and The Wolf Among Us. So I don't know.

Why don't you just back up your save to ps+ before getting the rune, that's what I did took no more than 3 tries and *ping* the trophy popped. Don't know if your save game is in a state where you can do it now but it's worth the little bit of work setting it up and saves time in the future :)

Good luck buddy - go get that platinum!

I already knew how before I hunted for the trophy, I was going to get FIVE branded captains for the Warchief, then have him die by either them or a Caragor. Once I had five branded captains I was going to back up my save.

I think I'll just outright kill that archer captain.

Edited by Ian Lee

I understand your frustration. It's probably the most annoying trophy to try and obtain but you can't get the trophy with the DLC. It has to be the base game, unfortunately. Your best bet is to either keep trying to brand him or just kill him and go brand another captain and make him the Warchief's bodyguard.

If it helps, you get +2 if the target is a Warchief, +1 for knowing a weakness, +1 for knowing a hate/fear, +1 for a revenge kill, +1 for a death threat (be weary if you use death threats). It also helps if the Warchief is at least level 20.

Sorry if you know this already. Just going off of what I know from playing it on PS3/4. Also, it is a good idea to set it all up and make a back up save, like DJROE95 said, just in case a level 25 rune doesn't drop.

Hope something here helps and good luck! You can do it!  :)

I have to agree with the comment.

I enjoy the game, I loved the Peter Jackson movies when they first came out, it's a fairly easy game that is straight forward and not as long or difficult as Witcher 3 or Assassins Creed Syndicate.

It's the luck more than anything that's ticking me off, not because of how long the trophy takes or the enemies I have to kill on the way to get it. It may seem a waste of time to post this because there is already a discussion on this trophy, but this is probably the most appropriate place to rant, since I haven't found a Rants sub forum on games.

SO CARAGORS DONT RESPOND UNTIL AFTER THE BETRAYAL? AND THEN MY OTHER BRANDED CAPTAINS JUST RUN AWAY WHEN THE BETRAYAL IS DONE?

I am not spending another few hours to get another Warchief to level 20. If that can't happen then fuck this game.

Okay I finally got it.

Do not betray the Warchief. I had to kill three branded captains and get another three. Once that is done I went to the stronghold and did the normal objective to draw him out. I shot an arrow at a Caragor cage to let it out, shadow mount it, and run towards the Warchief to get him enraged. I branded more uruks and he soon died to a captain, dropping the level 25 rune I needed.

Over ten hours for this last trophy. I apologize for the outburst, clearly we understand how frustrating it can be to do the same thing over and over. I went through two warchiefs prior to this one, and getting a rune in Bright Lord DLC doesn't count. A lot more trouble than it was worth, but I came through.

There's two two test trophies which involve completing a set of objectives. I don't know if I'll ever do those, because those look like hell compared to what I just went through.

I can finally move on.

Edited by Ian Lee

• 7 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On Thu Mar 02 2017 at 2:12 AM, TristanBrown17 said:

In case there is anyone that is still struggling with the level 30 rune, do NOT land the killing blow on the warchief. Meet the bonus criteria, and allow a branded Uruk to kill the Warchief. This decreases the chance of an Epic rune and thus, may lead to your trophy

Or if you were like me and had to have every epic rune, then you don't have to worry who gets the killing blow.  It's very time consuming to farm them though.

Edited by Snake2410