No Man's Sky Trophy List Discussion Thread

Aranea Highwind

I’m a gamer that enjoys the journey. For me, the idea of secrets and puzzles that lack google-able answers is super thrilling. I love it. My best gaming experiences have been when I’ve received games before street date, knowing I was truly on my own in the universe of that game, and no matter how tempted I might be to ask a friend for help or check a website for a tip or cheat, I CAN’T because it doesn’t exist. It’s all you, you’re representing everything there is in that moment of the game. If NMS is crack for everyone here in this reddit, the idea of an early experience with zero information surrounding it is the equivalent of the purest, uncut and unfiltered crack money can buy for me. This is it for me, this is the nut high.

What an idiot.  Why doesn't he just not read any articles or spoilers and play?  Turn off your internet and you will have the exact same experience of not having anything "spoiled" for you. 

It's free if you don't use your internet, no need to spend $1300 lol. 

Edited by DARKB1KE

This amount of trophies practically screams 'DLC TROPHIES COMING SOON!'

Number of trophies in the trophy list has nothing to do with whether a game gets dlc trophies or not. HG has said they're supporting the game well after launch so it entirely depends on what they add and whether they want to add trophies or not.

Also, it appears he paid this not to the developers but to some shady practice... just exactly how legal is this? My guess is not very.

He bought it from someone in eBay, so unless the person he bought it from sold him stolen goods then it's completely legal. Edited by ggamer15

I don't really care what the trophies are or how easy they are. To me, this game is like Minecraft. You can beat it/ plat it really quickly if you wanted to, but it's meant to be played for a long time to explore everything and actually enjoy the game for what it is, not for it's trophies.

I agree 100% with this this game reminds me of an old game called Elite not sure if anyone remembers it but same kind of thing with out the naming planets and stuff thing

I have always seen this game as a long term investment and looking at the list that is what I got the ability to explore the in game galaxy for maybe years to come makes me happy this is a game I that will be playing maybe years in the future and only mass effect has done that for me before

• Like 2

He bought it from someone in eBay, so unless the person he bought it from sold him stolen goods then it's completely legal.

Buying on eBay does not equal legal. Games are shipped to stores and nobody is allowed to sell the game before the release date. Stores have to wait for either the official release date or a green light from the developer/publisher beforehand to be able to sell. Somewhere along the line, someone decided to make some money for himself. This does not seem to be legal one bit.

I’m a gamer that enjoys the journey. For me, the idea of secrets and puzzles that lack google-able answers is super thrilling. I love it. My best gaming experiences have been when I’ve received games before street date, knowing I was truly on my own in the universe of that game, and no matter how tempted I might be to ask a friend for help or check a website for a tip or cheat, I CAN’T because it doesn’t exist. It’s all you, you’re representing everything there is in that moment of the game. If NMS is crack for everyone here in this reddit, the idea of an early experience with zero information surrounding it is the equivalent of the purest, uncut and unfiltered crack money can buy for me. This is it for me, this is the nut high.

What an idiot.  Why doesn't he just not read any articles or spoilers and play?  Turn off your internet and you will have the exact same experience of not having anything "spoiled" for you. 

Not only that but he's talking about not wanting to be spoiled while he is uploading all those videos, effectively spoiling the game for everybody else.

Well, everybody watching at least. I'm not touching those videos, I have been ignoring the official screens and trailers for months now just so I don't get spoiled, so I'm definitely keeping this guy out of my bubble.

It's annoying that there's so many asses out there trying to ruin the fun of a hyped game. First the jealous Dutch developer, now this guy... and those are just the most prominent ones. It's the tall trees catching the wind, I guess.

I guess people are just missing a yearly Assassin's Creed to bitch on.

I agree 100% with this this game reminds me of an old game called Elite not sure if anyone remembers it but same kind of thing with out the naming planets and stuff thing

I have always seen this game as a long term investment and looking at the list that is what I got the ability to explore the in game galaxy for maybe years to come makes me happy this is a game I that will be playing maybe years in the future and only mass effect has done that for me before

You mean, those games we still play nowadays, with the latest one called Elite: Dangerous, which has a Milky Way with 400 billion planets? :P

Sadly I'm from the 90's, so the franchise was unknown to me until E:D was announced. I do own the original via DOSBox though (which I should learn how to play someday).

And as I said up there, the way NMS is depicted looks more like E:D than any other game out there. Sure thing, NMS's galaxy is 46 million times bigger than E:D, which worries me in how close to other players we'll be when we spawn into the game (IIRC from an old interview, you'll be "near" other people, but you have to "link" your systems to those discovered by other players). And even the concept of endgame is quite similar, because there's nothing set in stone, but whatever the player may want to achieve as his/her final goal (a million discovered planets, meet with people, get the best upgrades, etc).

Now, if Hello Games decides to create a "bubble" accessible from anywhere that could work as a "hub zone", allowing people to gather up for exploration/combat/trading wings, that'd be awesome.

Buying on eBay does not equal legal. Games are shipped to stores and nobody is allowed to sell the game before the release date. Stores have to wait for either the official release date or a green light from the developer/publisher beforehand to be able to sell. Somewhere along the line, someone decided to make some money for himself. This does not seem to be legal one bit.

Then that's on whoever sold him the game in the first place then. Unless he actually stole from a store or something then he's not doing anything illegal, because he wouldn't be under contract with the game publisher to not sell or play it before a certain date. Sure whoever sold it to him probably did so against the rules of a contract, but that's not on the guy who currently has the game and nothing would happen to him other than Sony putting copyright notices on any videos he posts, which is what's happening with everyone posting early stuff.

You still have to buy the game so... technically not free =D

The thing that strikes me that I feel ought to be mentioned, his game experience will be entirely different to other peoples.  Which is the joy of procedural generation and algorithms. 

We will all start at different places in the universe, encounter different things and may not even meet another player.  For him it may take 2 days, for us it may take 2 weeks.

If that is correct, then he must have had a hell of luck =D

Number of trophies in the trophy list has nothing to do with whether a game gets dlc trophies or not. HG has said they're supporting the game well after launch so it entirely depends on what they add and whether they want to add trophies or not.

In this kind of game, I would say the base trophy amount is pretty relevant.

They could add many bronze trophies for exploring and performing many tasks but they used short list, that gives out the feeling of future additions ;)

I do really like how Sony-specific/related games do their trophies, like The Order, Rocket League, Helldivers, etc. They have fewer trophies with a more equal spread of bronze, silver, and gold. I don't get quite as excited about 1 plat, 1 gold, 2 silver, and 800,000 bronze.

Then that's on whoever sold him the game in the first place then. Unless he actually stole from a store or something then he's not doing anything illegal, because he wouldn't be under contract with the game publisher to not sell or play it before a certain date. Sure whoever sold it to him probably did so against the rules of a contract, but that's not on the guy who currently has the game and nothing would happen to him other than Sony putting copyright notices on any videos he posts, which is what's happening with everyone posting early stuff.

I never said that guy specifically was doing something illegal, just that on the whole there's something shady going on.

Anyway I don't know if this is true for the whole world but here we have that if you believe that a product you're buying has been acquired illegally and you're buying it anyway, you can be held accountable. It doesn't stop at just the seller.

Not that anything will come from this, or Hello Games probably already would have said so. Anyways, probably best if we all move on, that guy has already gotten way more attention than he's worth.

In this kind of game, I would say the base trophy amount is pretty relevant.

They could add many bronze trophies for exploring and performing many tasks but they used short list, that gives out the feeling of future additions ;)

The trophy amount is not relevant. It's like I said before, this is a normal 1230 point trophy collection. They just chose to do more silver and gold, which makes the trophy count go down. All those games with 51 trophies have mostly only bronze, with just a bare few of silver and gold thrown in.

They also said there won't be any DLC, just free updates, but there's one update of which I truly believe it will be made eventually (regardless of additional trophies) and which probably still will be paid DLC: VR compatibility. This game looks like it should be the frontrunner on VR, Sony would be stupid not to bury them in money for that to happen.

Edited by BillyHorrible

You mean, those games we still play nowadays, with the latest one called Elite: Dangerous, which has a Milky Way with 400 billion planets? :P

Sadly I'm from the 90's, so the franchise was unknown to me until E:D was announced. I do own the original via DOSBox though (which I should learn how to play someday).

And as I said up there, the way NMS is depicted looks more like E:D than any other game out there. Sure thing, NMS's galaxy is 46 million times bigger than E:D, which worries me in how close to other players we'll be when we spawn into the game (IIRC from an old interview, you'll be "near" other people, but you have to "link" your systems to those discovered by other players). And even the concept of endgame is quite similar, because there's nothing set in stone, but whatever the player may want to achieve as his/her final goal (a million discovered planets, meet with people, get the best upgrades, etc).

Now, if Hello Games decides to create a "bubble" accessible from anywhere that could work as a "hub zone", allowing people to gather up for exploration/combat/trading wings, that'd be awesome.

Think they said it will be next to impossible to find other players in game and you will extremely lucky to run into anyone else think that was what Sean said at E3 2015

Edited by Romanus1

Where did you get that from? He bought it from someone on eBay and the developer came out on twitter telling everyone that they were disappointed that it was leaked.

From the article.  "bought a copy from ebay"  definitely by a developer that leaked it.  Where else would it come from?

Think they said it will be next to impossible to find other players in game and you will extremely lucky to run into anyone else think that was what Sean said at E3 2015

Finding someone at random will be a quintillion-to-one shot but you can meet up with people... You should be able to make a hyperspace jump based on specific coordinates, regardless of whether you've been there before. So you should be able to invite someone over when you've found a planet you want to enjoy together, provided their ship is strong enough to make the jump :-D

From the article.  "bought a copy from ebay"  definitely by a developer that leaked it.  Where else would it come from?

The developers are not the only ones with access to the game. Do they make the discs, cases, collector's editions et cetera in-house? Do they store the games themselves until they are being shipped around the world, are they the ones to take the games to the stores? Worldwide releases take a lot of work.

There are dozens of people with potential access if not hundreds, all with more cause and less emotional and financial investment than the developers.

Doesn't look like anything too insane which is a good thing.  I guess the gold standard for longest life would biggest issue.

Only concern is from some of IGN gameplay I've seen is that I get a Proteus vibe from it.......

Overall doesn't seem to be a massively deep game, but one to dip in and have some fun with.  Trophies are almost all grind based.

Doesn't look like anything too insane which is a good thing.  I guess the gold standard for longest life would biggest issue.

Only concern is from some of IGN gameplay I've seen is that I get a Proteus vibe from it.......

Overall doesn't seem to be a massively deep game, but one to dip in and have some fun with.  Trophies are almost all grind based.

Longest life could be an issue, depending on your playstyle. Are you going to fight everybody you meet or are you going to explore and stay away from fights, or a bit of both? :-)

I played Proteus for a minute or so before deleting it again.  I think No Man's Sky looks much better, bad graphics was my main complaint about Proteus. I don't mind faffing about if the graphics look nice.

It is indeed not a very deep game. I myself compare it with "Spore, the space stage, but done better".

If you're going to make something up or post your own theories, at least be confident and honest enough about it to *admit* that they're you're own theories. Don't act like you got the information from the article when it very clearly doesn't say that the developer leaked it.

It could have been stolen from someone who works at the factory that prints the discs, from someone who drives a delivery truck, from someone who works at a store that sells the game, or any number of other places. The idea that the dev would purposely leak the game for $1300, despite the fact that it is going to make hundreds of thousands of dollars (if not millions of dollars) in about a week, and despite the fact that the negative early press resulting from this has been disastrous for them and almost surely *lost* them far more than $1300 in sales, and despite the fact that they have set up embargoes and otherwise gone out of their way to make sure that no pre-release footage or impressions of the game get out there, is absurd.

• Like 1

The trophy list is very grindy, but to be honest? I think this is one of the best trophy lists we could ask for out of a game like this.

Consider that this is a game that prides itself on procedural generation. Every planet, every player's location, every item is randomized in some way or another. It prides itself on you going out of your way to do as much as possible, to discover as much as possible. With that in mind... what other trophies do you think you could expect to get in this game? Any trophy revolving around "complete a specific objective" would rely a lot on situational RNG. Meanwhile, most of these objectives, as grindy as they may be, are based on activities you'd probably accomplish just by playing the game naturally. You want to find more planets? Expect to fight some space pirate ships in your travels. Wanna prepare to fight said pirates? Look for the local aliens to trade with. And so on, so forth. It's a bunch of objectives that, while you CAN specifically focus on them, you will probably be chipping away at them just by playing the game normally. It's a trophy list built around the game's ideology of "Take this world and explore it, make the most out of it", rather than having a concrete structure the player is forced to follow. So I'm cool with this trophy list since it minimizes the reliance on the game's RNG to accomplish trophy objectives and promotes the game's open/sandboxish structure, while still having very clear milestones of accomplishment.

• Like 3

On a new update on their own site, seems like they have a very good view of how love it or hate it their game will end up being (bold is theirs, not mine), because it's all about the experience and not a race to the finish:

Here is what No Man’s Sky definitely is:

• Exploring a universe of pretty procedurally generated worlds, with beautiful creatures
  • Trading with NPCs
  • Combat against robots/mechs and cool space battles
  • Survival/crafting in a universe sized sandbox
  • An awesome procedural soundtrack from my genuine favourite band (check the NMS album out here)
  • For one small moment, you might feel like you’ve stepped into a sci-fi book cover

That means this maybe isn’t the game you *imagined* from those trailers. If you hoped for things like pvp multiplayer or city building, piloting freighters, or building civilisations… that isn’t what NMS is. Over time it might become some of those things through updates.

For instance, freighters and building bases *are* coming!

At launch though, it’s an infinite procedural sci-fi-space-survival-sandbox unlike anything you have ever played before. If you decide to play it, you’ll see just how closely it plays to those trailers, and to our original vision. It’s a weird game, it’s a niche game and it’s a very very chill game.

This game might not be for everyone, I expect it to be super divisive, but I’m sat here watching playtesters right now who weren’t supposed to be in, but just wanted to play and chill out. I can’t wait for you to experience that for yourselves.

I've been thinking, and maybe, just maybe, that whole "idiot throws cash to get the game a week early and now people are cancelling their pre-orders" was a good thing. It filtered out the people who were only in it for the hype, and would not have enjoyed the game in the end. The people who have confidence in the game and do indeed just want to chill out in a huge universe have remained.

• Like 2

you need to see the bigger picture here: chances are that all the views on his videos etc. already earned him way more money than he spent on the copy of the game ...

Said this in the other thread as well but people who are afraid the platinum can be obtained easily don't have to worry.

I played three hours now, obtaining one of the trophies in the process. I'm on my fourth world, of which one was barren.

It's going to take a ridiculous amount of planning and a lot of gaming time if you want to race to the platinum.

To others who are scared about the quality of the game: it looks, feels and plays amazing. I saw some very different planets (forest, desert, irradiated, snow) and some amazing life forms. Yeah some species look much alike (just like on our own planet) but there's some awesome variations as well. Let's just say I've named stuff like the Brain Spider, the Rhinocephalosaurus, the Scorpion Flower, the Space Cow and the Whipping Plant, and I've seen the creature from the 2006 film The Host...

No sign of a brachiosaurus yet though...

I'm unlocking the trophies a lot quicker than I thought I would. They definitely don't seem hard, just grindy. I may end up going for the platinum, depending on just how hard/time consuming it gets to earn those gold trophies, but I'm enjoying the game enough so far that it's not feeling like a chore yet. So far, the only "difficult" trophy has been the bronze one for discovering all creatures on a single planet. Took me about 2 hours just to obtain it, I can see the future milestones being just as - if not more - time consuming.