Quick note on 1000 score

schnarff77

After getting my score of 1000 in a single game solely by walking down a street I had already cleared, I realized a pretty easy way to get a score to 1000 without having to kill that many zombies. 

It seems that the game remembers where zombie corpses are until you break them down.  Leave an area and return to it and the zombie corpses are still where you left them.  But, the game also seems to save the zombie corpses in 2 states, a looted and a non-looted version.  When you return to an area, the non-looted versions get respawned as "alive" versions of their original model which the game immediately kills off because they're supposed to be dead.  You'll see this when you return to an area and, if you haven't looted any of the zombies you killed, they'll appear standing and then immediately collapse.

Why does this matter?  Because the respawned and immediately killed zombies count as kills for you, even if you've already killed them.  So, if you clear a large group of zombies (in a city, for example). Save and quit and then reload the game with zombie spawns disabled.  Then, you can just leave and re-enter the city over and over and each time you do, all the zombies you killed before will count towards your kill count.  Makes it much easier to keep your wellness up (since taking five or six hits from zombies will decrease your wellness, even if you don't get killed).  It would still take a while, but could easily be done in conjunction with surviving 1250 minutes in single player and getting your wellness up to 200 (vitamins... they are your best friend.)

Update: The counting of already killed, non-looted zombies does seem a bit random.  There's one I always get credit for every time I re-enter an area, but others I don't.  Regardless, not looting the zombies you kill can inflate your overall score.

Edited by schnarff77

You don't have to fully back out to the menu, just drive/run far enough away that the enemies are out of draw distance and then run back to the bodies. It's pretty random. In one group of about 10 I had killed, I got credit for 6 each time I drove back past them on the minibike. In another, bigger group, I only got credit for 2.

Edited by schnarff77

• 4 years later...