Why do people hate this game.

DeadlyHawk78

• 7 months later...

Ascension simply doesn't hold up to God of War 3. That's the main reason why people were disappointed with it. 

I'm starting the game now and I don't like the changed controls. Parry is basically useless, and the magic is four of the Greek gods abilities imbued into Kratos Chaos Blades. I felt this was just lazy design. 

Ascension does however have good graphics, and proof the PS3 could be a graphical powerhouse during last gen.

• Like 4

• 6 months later...

I just found it unecessary for another God of War game to be a prequel.

I didn't find the multiplayer to be a problem.

They changed the controls but not for the best, especially for parry. I get it, you didn't get the Golden Fleece yet but goddamn they completely ruined it to the point that either just pressing R1 or evasion is more useful! The animation lasts for about a second and has a slow cooldown period, leaving you open for an attack if you parry wrong.

• Like 1

i loved the game, though hated the challenge on the hardest difficulty at times (not so much all) just at one critical point. the trials mess with my angry side :(. took days to get past it.

it happened to be my 2nd platinum on my profile.

Edited by kingdrake2

• 2 months later...

Im playing it right now and gotta say I dont like it as much as I did the other, but its still a good game. The Bossfights are fine and it does look good, but they changed a lot of things that didnt need a change. The Magic and Rage-Meter are by far the worst any GoW had so far. The Controls are horrible because of this stupid Multiplayer which probably 100 people played. The parry is next to useless, same as grabbing attacks.

Edited by Bossi15
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Just because, internet. Don't really think there's a real reason except for bandwagonism. Pretty sure the real life ratio of people liking and disliking the game is the same as with other games/movies/books/... Probably the majority likes it but it's the ones that hate it that are the most vocal.

• Like 4

I only played the demo and I think graphically it's a lot better looking than GOW3 but gameplay wise I heard everyone and their mother said it's fall from the bar GOW3 set.

a close friend of mine has the game and he also told me it's the least favorite GOW game he ever sit through, maybe one day i'll borrow it from him and play it and see why it sucked.

It just seemed like a very by-the-numbers GoW title. As others mentioned, there made unneeded changes to the controls, reduced combat to just your blades with SLIGHTLY different attack animations via 4 magic elements, altered the parry to unreliable levels, reduced the enemy variety to only a handful, which alot of them being simply reskins. The game relies FAR too heavily on grossout gory imagery with little to no purpose; the environments while graphically phenomenal, are very boring and drab to look at and explore. The story doesn't offer any new insight to Kratos or his situation; in fact he's probably the least remarkable thing about it.

The multiplayer is the biggest upset for me, not because it's bad peresay, but because it COULD'VE been great. The combat reminds me of Power Stone; a 3d brawler/hack and slash where you have to contend with opponents as well as every changing environments, and have 2ndary items to aid you. But there is nothing in regards to offline multiplayer, and because its focus is on deathmatches, if you weren't practicing from day 1, you WILL be destroyed. There is ONE single player and ONE co-op mode, but those two modes are the definition of tacked on and lazy, offering none of the variety the VS modes do. It doesn't help that your character, despite having all the weapons/attack options the Kratos SHOULD have, still feels clunkier and stiff to control in comparison.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, HellcoreFire said:

Just because, internet. Don't really think there's a real reason except for bandwagonism. Pretty sure the real life ratio of people liking and disliking the game is the same as with other games/movies/books/... Probably the majority likes it but it's the ones that hate it that are the most vocal.

Nah man. I really think this game lacked a bunch in terms of what God of war used to deliver. I mean I can't blame them. How can you top the magnitude of God of war 3 and the amazing boss fights! You don't!

The story also felt half-baked imo. 

I didn't mind God of War Ascension but for me it was no where near as good as previous games. The thing that really annoyed me the most about Ascension was that you purchased combos etc, which was the same in previous games however, in Ascension you could only use certain combos if your rage meter was full. If you got hit, even once, your rage meter would decrease ergo you lose your combos until you filled your rage meter again which you filled up by hitting enemies and if you didn't kill enemies over a certain period of time you'd lose what ever rage you had built up. That was my major gripe and the boss fights just didn't feel as epic as previous games to me. 

Cause it's a simple cash grab. They told everything there is to say by countless titles but still made this one. Santa Monica studios could produce another franchise like Naughty Dog did but no, once again a God Of War title. There was just no passion. My 5 cents.

I played all the God of War games.

Ascension's combat and mechanics felt the weakest.

The environments and set pieces are really nice tho. That final boss fight really pushed the PS3's limits.

Can't hate on it tho.

Hate is a pretty strong word lol.

Edited by Leaderboards

58 minutes ago, RedRodriguez87 said:

The combat reminds me of Power Stone; a 3d brawler/hack and slash where you have to contend with opponents as well as every changing environments, and have 2ndary items to aid you. But there is nothing in regards to offline multiplayer, and because its focus is on deathmatches, if you weren't practicing from day 1, you WILL be destroyed. There is ONE single player and ONE co-op mode, but those two modes are the definition of tacked on and lazy, offering none of the variety the VS modes do. It doesn't help that your character, despite having all the weapons/attack options the Kratos SHOULD have, still feels clunkier and stiff to control in comparison.

I always thought Ascension wasn't that much great compared to others, especially GOW2 as I always thought that one was the best, with the third being a close second. Multiplayer felt tacked on and unrefined, which is a disappointment. It could have been a modern day version of power stone, preferably with several GOW characters being playable, I would have certainly loved fighting Ares or Zeus as Deimos.  Ironically enough I did play Power Stone years back, now time to look for my old dreamcast  and see if it still works...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PooPooBlast said:

Nah man. I really think this game lacked a bunch in terms of what God of war used to deliver. I mean I can't blame them. How can you top the magnitude of God of war 3 and the amazing boss fights! You don't!

The story also felt half-baked imo. 

It's all good. You at least know the reason why you dislike this game and you know it's an opinion. Most people these days just say something is trash and that's it, no further explanation. Like it's some empirical fact or something. Or I guess I should probably use the word dogma in cases like these.

It’s the law of diminishing returns. Ascension is harshly judged because it was the sixth game in the series following the same formula in about a decade. Personally I enjoyed it, but it was too familiar and didn’t really provide anything new or groundbreaking.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dakk55 said:

I always thought Ascension wasn't that much great compared to others, especially GOW2 as I always thought that one was the best, with the third being a close second. Multiplayer felt tacked on and unrefined, which is a disappointment. It could have been a modern day version of power stone, preferably with several GOW characters being playable, I would have certainly loved fighting Ares or Zeus as Deimos.  Ironically enough I did play Power Stone years back, now time to look for my old dreamcast  and see if it still works...

I went back and played the collection via emulator, and the whole time I was thinking "Oh man, if only PS2 had the combat options Ascension did!" and "Oh man, if only Ascension had the variety PS2 had!!" Ugh, Ascension could've done sooooo much.

I'm just hoping some developers puts 2 and 2 together and actually makes something of this, be it Santa Monica or some indie dev.

3 hours ago, HellcoreFire said:

It's all good. You at least know the reason why you dislike this game and you know it's an opinion. Most people these days just say something is trash and that's it, no further explanation. Like it's some empirical fact or something. Or I guess I should probably use the word dogma in cases like these.

I agree on that part hahaha and thanks for understanding. A rare thing here on this site.

So, as a massive fan of the series, my biggest issue was that they completely changed core mechanics to fit multiplayer, like parrying and grappling. The world weapons were an unneeded mechanic since the other games did alternate weapons perfectly IMO. The thing that allows you to make shadow Kratos's was ridiculously OP and drained any sort of challenge out of the game. I also didn't find any of the bosses or areas memorable but that's more of a personal opinion.

I should point out that I actually did like the game. Them expanding on the "elemental blades" idea from GoS was awesome and something that made me super happy lol. But my issues definitely kept me from loving it the way I did the rest of the series.

Not to mention, I understand why it turned out the way it did. They wanted to make just the multiplayer but Sony wouldn't let them without a single player... It was that rare time that the single player was the tacked on part lol.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 10.06.2018 at 10:18 PM, Nexuds121 said:

GoW Ascension was awesome. Platinum was tough, fun and full of love. People who hated this game has no friends irl.

Gatekeeping much. Grow up, people have better reasons to hate other people than games they play, stop your fanboying/fangirling.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I had never played a GoW game until recently:

I played in this order v 100%ing each game as I went, on hard difficulty, played non stop for a little over a week, my thoughts.

GoW 1 - An alright game, short and easy with some decent ideas for what the time period had, I appreciated it.

GoW 2 - Wow what a huge upgrade from it's predecessor, great gameplay, decent story

GoW CoO - It was ok I guess, story was pretty weak, but the combat had me invested

GoW GoS - Annoying as hell dive bomb harpies, appreciate the graphics finally taking a step up, gameplay seems to have lost some momentum in combat system area

GoW 3 - An amazing piece of art with great gameplay, story, and hours of enjoyment I really liked this one

GoW Ascension - Worst gameplay of all the games, gutted the combat system and filled it full of fluff, including a pretty serious abortion performed on parry system..most fights felt like tedious filth that had just been slapped together as a time sink.. I played a couple multiplayer matches and found it semi charming at first but quickly lost interest, One positive was the graphics were just as good as 3's with some rather nice looking scenery, and yet despite great scenery the story is kind of a mess and is not all that interesting. It wasn't very good overall IMO.

Keep in mind I played these back to back with no downtime in between, I don't think I am GoWed out as I am now starting the 2018 GoW and so far it's a really great game. In closing there's a few things that knocked Ascension down a peg or two but it really feels like the multiplayer got more attention than the single player or that the single player combat system was built exclusively from the multiplayer..

• Like 4