Is challenge six really that bad?

DeadlyHawk78

2 hours ago, Gommes_ said:

Thanks for the insight. As soon as I try it out I will put it in this thread. Before platinum #100 I wanted to do another really hard one (even though I initially was done with it after Mirror's Edge ;)) and beyond that I heard that Vanquish is a fantastic game!

Let me know how it goes for you. Cheers!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 19.4.2019 at 2:27 PM, PooPooBlast said:

Let me know how it goes for you. Cheers!

Alright, a little status update. First of all I really like this game! The story is pure trash but the gameplay is outstanding. Due to the stamina bar it has some dark souls feel to it, cause you constantly have to focus on it to be really good. Maybe it's a little far stretched but that's what came to my mind :) Besides getting into this game, the hard mode of the story was not bad at all. The further it went the easier it got. At least it felt that way.

The tactical challenges however are something different! The first challenge was already way too hard. It took me many tries to beat it. I think at the second try or so I actually managed to get into the last wave. Than I it took me forever to achieve it again after I died. Anyway I just beat challenge 3 (#2 was a joke) and took a little peek at challenge #4. Holy shit! That will be a huge pain to do this on a small area like that with that many enemies! ?

Btw. I sync my profile as soon as I am done with the game. I am now at 61%

• Like 3

Nothing that hadn't said here before. Challenge 4 and 6 is all about patience- trial and error. Watch youtube vids and try different strategies. Especially on 6, there are so many , you can select what fits you.

You have to know spawn locations, which enemies are about to spawn, use your weapons right and also know the location of some weapons in the level. I remember playing level 6 over and over until i was able to reach bogies 90% of the times. I also remember that i beat the level a time where i just played to play and wasn't feeling I'm gonna get it.

Most of the amazing fast vids out there are insane , but there are also few approaches that are slower but get the job done ! 

Just stick to it ! At first seems so impossible. After a while you will move so much better and take out enemies faster, you will realise you can and will do it and its just a matter of time! 

Good luck! I remember my time being around 25 minutes..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gommes_ said:

Alright, a little status update. First of all I really like this game! The story is pure trash but the gameplay is outstanding. Due to the stamina bar it has some dark souls feel to it, cause you constantly have to focus on it to be really good. Maybe it's a little far stretched but that's what came to my mind :) Besides getting into this game, the hard mode of the story was not bad at all. The further it went the easier it got. At least it felt that way.

The tactical challenges however are something different! The first challenge was already way too hard. It took me many tries to beat it. I think at the second try or so I actually managed to get into the last wave. Than I it took me forever to achieve it again after I died. Anyway I just beat challenge 3 (#2 was a joke) and took a little peek at challenge #4. Holy shit! That will be a huge pain to do this on a small area like that with that many enemies! 1f601.png

Btw. I sync my profile as soon as I am done with the game. I am now at 61%

You're pretty much summing up my experience :). 

But that's exactly it. Challenge 4 and 6 are the real deal especially 6. 

Wish I could give more helpful tips but it's been years since I last played it so I remember very little. But one thing I could say was that the videos I watched helped tremendously. 

• Like 1

Okay, challenge 4 was awful! Wave 2 really frustrated me but I never had any peoblems with wave 3 and 4. Until I died there for the first time of course. The tank in wave 4 was always easy to me but then it became my arch enemy for the worst reasons! Whenever I tried to get behind the tank something weird happened. I sucked or had no luck and it made me so angry, cause that scene is actually not that hard.

However I only entered wave 5 like 7 times? It just frustrated me that I barely had any chances to get used to the last wave. Weirdly enough I pulled it off in one of the tries, cause the viper lost almost all of it's energy due to the explosion of this big guy and the 3 grenades I threw. After killing 2 smaller blue robots it was only me Vs. the last big guy up on this little hill. I wanted to do it with the rocket launcher but I upgraded the wrong weapon during the action and got so nervous that it makes me wonder how I killed him. Especially since I almost got killed by his laser beam. I did not see myself there after the miserable first tries at the last wave. Knowing that challenge 6 will be harder is not a great thought. ? But of to challenge 5 now.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gotakibono said:

I got the platinum all the way back in 2011, but I can honestly say that I don't think I'd be able to get the platinum today. Challenge six took a level of patience and determination that I think I've lost as I've gotten older :P 

Please don't say that! ?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gommes_ said:

Please don't say that! 1f601.png

You can definitely do it, bud, I have every bit of faith in you. :D But I won't lie, it'll take a bit of work. My only advice would be to watch every video of wave 5 you can so you see as many different tactics as possible - it'll help settle the nerves when you get to that point. Let me know when you get it! Viel Glück!

• Like 2

The legend of challenge 6 continues. :awesome:

I finally beat this one not so long ago and those tactical challenges are definitely in their own difficulty level compared to the rest of the game. If I had to rate them in their own difficulty, from easy to hard, it would be something like this:

Challenge 2 < Challenge 3 < Challenge 1 <<< Challenge 5 <<<<<<Challenge 4 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Challenge 6

Yep, seems about it right to me. xD

47 minutes ago, Gommes_ said:

Okay, challenge 4 was awful! Wave 2 really frustrated me but I never had any peoblems with wave 3 and 4. Until I died there for the first time of course. The tank in wave 4 was always easy to me but then it became my arch enemy for the worst reasons! Whenever I tried to get behind the tank something weird happened. I sucked or had no luck and it made me so angry, cause that scene is actually not that hard.

However I only entered wave 5 like 7 times? It just frustrated me that I barely had any chances to get used to the last wave. Weirdly enough I pulled it off in one of the tries, cause the viper lost almost all of it's energy due to the explosion of this big guy and the 3 grenades I threw. After killing 2 smaller blue robots it was only me Vs. the last big guy up on this little hill. I wanted to do it with the rocket launcher but I upgraded the wrong weapon during the action and got so nervous that it makes me wonder how I killed him. Especially since I almost got killed by his laser beam. I did not see myself there after the miserable first tries at the last wave. Knowing that challenge 6 will be harder is not a great thought. 1f611.png But of to challenge 5 now.

The last 2 waves on Challenge 4 are definitely the harder. I remember getting randomly killed when getting behind the tank to shotgun-it to death. Using an EMP grenade would something give me enough window as to kill it without being hit but then, you really need to save on those for the last wave. Fighting that Crystal Viper in that small space near the end is a pain. What I did to clear that wave was EMP when the blue robots appeared, then killed them in slow-mo as quickly as possible (aim for the head if possible) and then try and kill the Romanovs as quick as possible. There are three in this area if I remember right, two with machine guns and one with flamethrower+hammer. If you carried the rocket launcher, you can dispatch the first with the machine gun on the left as soon as you start, then wait for the Crystal Viper and the hammer Romanov to come your way, when they do, boost your ass to the other side of the area, kill the Romanov there and then it's just a matter of dancing the other two back and forth. Dancing as in ass-boosting from one side of the area to the other when they come to you and pick them from afar. That's what I did. :P

Good luck with Challenge 5. Not as tough as Challenge 4 but it can be a pain too. Especially the three drill Romanovs on wave 4 and then the Argus thing and the snipers at the end can be frustrating. If possible, look for refuge on a closed door on that area to cover form the snipers. Once you've killed them off, focus carefully on the Argus and try not to get killed. The area is small but ass-boosting and the little refuge with a stationary turret there are your friends. :D 

• Like 3

I may as well put this here for anyone needing it in the future:

Wave 1:
Easy. Take down the red robots with the assault rifle at will while rolling and in AR mode. Once they're done, invite the Crystal Viper on to you and use the square button QTE to take his health away with minimal fuss. Two shotgun blasts for each time he's downed after the QTE. Kill the CV somewhere on top of the steps where you start the challenge.

Wave 2:
In between waves, boost over behind the statue. Launch a grenade at the two groups of three robots that spawn to the left and right. I don't think I managed to hit all of them at any point, but if you can take some out it helps. Do some rolling around here to avoid getting hit as you wait for the two sets of five flying robots to pop up. Throw an EMP grenade to take them out. Kill the bogey with the heavy machine gun in AR mode. Make sure to kill the things he sends up when he says 'aim carefully', although if you're shooting at him when he does this you'll hit them anyway. Once he's done, swap the shotgun for an LFE gun and switch back to normal grenades, then mop up any stray robots you missed with the grenades at the start.

Wave 3:
Start behind the rubble to the side of the map you see in the video. Throw a grenade out to take out the spawn of five normal robots, then aim with the LFE gun at where the flamethrower Romanov appears. It seemed like I could only hit this properly 50% of the time, but if you hit him right he'll fall on his front and you can shoot the gas tank. I think on my successful run this failed and I had to take them all out manually. Whatever the case, after the start, dodge out from your cover and go up the stairs where you spawned at the start of the challenge. It's easier to dodge up here. Use the HMG to shoot the heads off. After the first 4/5 bullets their heads will snap back. Come out of AR mode at that point and wait for their heads to be targets again. I found it easier to do this than trying to aim with the disc launcher. You need to be in AR mode whenever you're shooting something by this point, so make sure you don't overheat.

Wave 4:
This is when I started relying on luck more than preparation. You can take out the three balls with the LFE to start with, then boost over to the ledge where the first turret comes up. That's fine. The rest is a crapshoot. You need two LFE shots to take out the blue jumping robots, so unless you can line up 4/5/6 of them after you've taken out the turret and they've followed you over, you're screwed. Do that if you can, and if you need to throw an EMP grenade here you can. However you do it, get to the stairs again. Take out the second turret (aiming for the robot's legs is quicker, you can do it with either the assault rifle or heavy machine gun) and make sure none of the scorpions hit you. The scorpions are really annoying because their weak spot is hard to hit, so you might need to stock up on heavy machine gun ammo a few times. Before you kill the last one, make sure you have full LFE ammo and the lock-on laser. I'd also recommend filling the ammo for whatever rifle you still have left.

Wave 5:
It took me a few tries and watches of that video to see what to do. The balls spawn in three sets of three. They all spawn at different times, so you can shoot one then wait for the others. Shoot the first one with the LFE, then throw an EMP. You don't have to, but I did to help calm things down while waiting for the spawns. If you miss any of the balls target them first. They all go down to one LFE shot, so dodge and roll wherever you have to to get them exposed and dead.

There are various strategies for dealing with the two bogeys, but at this point I can only describe what happened to me. I got fairly close twice before I beat it, but my successful run was the only time I managed to get either of them down.

It's difficult to really aim at one in particular with the LOL because they move so fast, but I tried to hit the blue one. I used a full LOL on him, going into AR mode every time and constantly rolling anywhere in between to let it recharge. At some point here you need to pick up the EMP grenades, just in case you need some time. I refilled the LOL with the upgrade the Crystal Viper dropped in the first wave and carried on with the same strategy. I think I ended up in the red once, maybe twice. Keep rolling as far away from they bogeys as you can to try and limit this. Just go in a big circle, round the stairs, down, through the statue, back up to the top. Once the blue bogey was gone it became a bit easier to handle the second. Filled up the LOL again and ended up with maybe 10% of his health left when I ran out. I was up on the stairs at the back. I took cover while he unloaded his purple rain attack thing, fortunately the instant death laser didn't come out much. I had about 20 HMG bullets left and by the time I'd finished those he had about a pixel worth of health left and I had no ammo. The LFE wasn't hitting him. Luckily I was next to an assault rifle on the ground and managed to pick it up.

In general, the best advice I can give is:

- Move, constantly.
- If you take cover, and you can if you need to, go for stuff that's solid. The stone bannisters at the stairs are the best, unless you're surrounded you'll always be able to put one of those between you and whatever you're trying to kill to buy you some time.
- Know where you have to be to start each wave and what to do. Efficiency is your best friend, killing stuff as quickly as you can before dealing with the big boy in each wave.
- I need to repeat the first one. MOVE. Don't stop moving. Don't worry if it takes you a few tries to get used to rolling around the whole map. Once you get the hang of all of those things it becomes easier.

I think that's it. The only other advice I'd say is take breaks in between waves if you have to. Relax. Know what you're doing and how to do it, you'll be fine.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gotakibono said:

You can definitely do it, bud, I have every bit of faith in you. :D But I won't lie, it'll take a bit of work. My only advice would be to watch every video of wave 5 you can so you see as many different tactics as possible - it'll help settle the nerves when you get to that point. Let me know when you get it! Viel Glück!

4 hours ago, stpatty said:

I may as well put this here for anyone needing it in the future:

Snip

4 hours ago, Honor_Hand said:

The legend of challenge 6 continues. :awesome:

Snip

Thanks guys! I read your advices and watched some videos as well. I managed to get through challenge 5 in my third try and I am now busy with the infamous challenge 6!

Oh boy, this one is something different! ;) So far, wave 3 is the furthest I got but I just survived there for a couple of seconds, cause I was stupid. The bogey in wave 2 is horrible. Doing 2 of them in wave 6 will be a nightmare.

Anyway I might try it again later today. The rest of the weekend is quite busy so I don't know how much time I can put into it. Thanks again for your words and for keeping this old thread alive.

• Like 1

This challenge is so exhausting!! ? I've played it for like 6 hours today. Over and over again. In this time I only entered wave 5 2 times. That's it. And every time I think I know how a phase works I screw it up the next time. Phase 2 is awful, phase 3 is awful and phase 4 is awful. Can't really say anything about the last phase, since I actually don't know how this one plays out. I am really frustrated right now but I don't wanna give up yet.

On 5/10/2019 at 11:33 AM, Honor_Hand said:

??

Couldn't find a better way to describe it. It looks like that to me.

I prefer Ass-Blasting but nobody would get it and probably assume its a term from pr0n. If you do, Burt Gummer thanks you.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Gommes_ said:

This challenge is so exhausting!! 1f62b.png I've played it for like 6 hours today. Over and over again. In this time I only entered wave 5 2 times. That's it. And every time I think I know how a phase works I screw it up the next time. Phase 2 is awful, phase 3 is awful and phase 4 is awful. Can't really say anything about the last phase, since I actually don't know how this one plays out. I am really frustrated right now but I don't wanna give up yet.

Dont give up on it. But try to not hit it too hard for so long if you are finding it a struggle. Persistence does feel like the answer sometimes, but all that will happen is you will burn yourself out. There are some great videos on YouTube that will greatly help, but I don't think it's worth watching the world class players that make it look so easy apart from getting the odd trick for throwing grenades at certain times on Phase 4 which really helped. One thing that I really tried to do throughout the challenge is to keep the Statue at the back of the level in one piece if possible as I used that for a bit of cover against the 2 bogeys. Yes, it doesn't last long at all, but it can be the difference between success and failure to have that little bit more cover. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gommes_ said:

This challenge is so exhausting!! 1f62b.png I've played it for like 6 hours today. Over and over again. In this time I only entered wave 5 2 times. That's it. And every time I think I know how a phase works I screw it up the next time. Phase 2 is awful, phase 3 is awful and phase 4 is awful. Can't really say anything about the last phase, since I actually don't know how this one plays out. I am really frustrated right now but I don't wanna give up yet.

I really think that for this challenge is better just to have 2/3 runs and take a rest from it, i never played more than 1hours/1hour and half and eventually got it. I feel like you become real frustrated the more you play and it doesn't help a lot. i really think going on small stints is better than grinding for hours and hours a day.

36 minutes ago, CannibalX666X said:

Dont give up on it. But try to not hit it too hard for so long if you are finding it a struggle. Persistence does feel like the answer sometimes, but all that will happen is you will burn yourself out. There are some great videos on YouTube that will greatly help, but I don't think it's worth watching the world class players that make it look so easy apart from getting the odd trick for throwing grenades at certain times on Phase 4 which really helped. One thing that I really tried to do throughout the challenge is to keep the Statue at the back of the level in one piece if possible as I used that for a bit of cover against the 2 bogeys. Yes, it doesn't last long at all, but it can be the difference between success and failure to have that little bit more cover. 

I try to keep the statue intact. Sometimes it just doesn't work but thank you.

2 minutes ago, andrehunter said:

I really think that for this challenge is better just to have 2/3 runs and take a rest from it, i never played more than 1hours/1hour and half and eventually got it. I feel like you become real frustrated the more you play and it doesn't help a lot. i really think going on small stints is better than grinding for hours and hours a day.

I know, I know. I just don't want to end a session on a bad note, that's why I keep on playing. Had the same problem with mirror's edge getting worse and worse the more I played. But some levels actually worked because of it. I don't know... it's weird sometimes.

@Gommes_

Are you using the Disk Launcher in round 3? It works wonderfully against the Romanovs there. I usually got stuck in this phase a lot before realizing a well-aimed shot to their heads chopped it off, which pretty much makes them totally incompetent for the rest of the round as they then start shooting randomly until they eventually die themselves.

For rounds 4 and 5, keeping EMP grenades is your best bet. Also, the LFE gun makes short work of the spinning-ball-looking enemies and the blue robots with the jetpacks. Keep cigarettes at hand as well. They'll save your life in round 5 when you least expect it. The least you allow the suit to overheat, the better as that makes you roll slower.

Come on man, don't give up. You can do it! ^^

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Honor_Hand said:

@Gommes_

Are you using the Disk Launcher in round 3? It works wonderfully against the Romanovs there. I usually got stuck in this phase a lot before realizing a well-aimed shot to their heads chopped it off, which pretty much makes them totally incompetent for the rest of the round as they then start shooting randomly until they eventually die themselves.

For rounds 4 and 5, keeping EMP grenades is your best bet. Also, the LFE gun makes short work of the spinning-ball-looking enemies and the blue robots with the jetpacks. Keep cigarettes at hand as well. They'll save your life in round 5 when you least expect it. The least you allow the suit to overheat, the better as that makes you roll slower.

Come on man, don't give up. You can do it! ^^

I do use the disk launcher. Sometimes I actually have all the space and time to aim for the head, sometimes the shotgun at a close distance works better. But thanks for mentioning the cigarettes, I totally forgot about them.

• Like 1