PS2 Games on PS4: General Discussion & Complete List

VeldinX

2 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

They also shoved all the extras into the "add on" section. Which is dumb to me. An avatar is not a game add on. Nor is a theme.

Very true. Also, when I filtered for "games", about 4 of the games just disappeared yesterday.

Sony often feels like the Lane Kiffin of video games...always falling upward.

5 minutes ago, LegacyJKO09 said:

would like Persona 2 and 3 and 4 remastered witg trophy support on disc but it'll never happen. not even ps2 on ps4 classic

Persona 4 does have trophy support with the golden on the vita, I doubt they would find much reason adding the older version. Also persona 2 was a ps one title so it would be a different category

Edited by SnowxSakura

On 2017-03-12 at 1:36 PM, SnowxSakura said:

Persona 4 does have trophy support with the golden on the vita, I doubt they would find much reason adding the older version. Also persona 2 was a ps one title so it would be a different category

Persona 4 was added to PS2 Classics on PS3 after Golden came out though. So you never know.

Unfortunately Sony doesn't see this as an exceptionally profitable venture except in limited cases.  More money in remasters that they charge full price for.  I Expect this to slow down or even stop soon as much as I want to see a large amount of older PS2 games to be released in this fashion. I think I've bought almost 10 of these so far.

Too many people want BC and bitch about that rather than rebuying the title.  I understand where they are coming from but also realize Sony isn't going to do it with the cash cow that is PSNow and full price PS4 remasters (FF7, TR, Bioshock Collection for example).  Sony wants new gamers and they will cough up for that whereas older gamers have the games and don't think they should have to pay for it again. It's totally about money coming in and that means expanding their user base with new users rather than catering to old users. Sucks but it's the corporate way now.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kevvik said:

Unfortunately Sony doesn't see this as an exceptionally profitable venture except in limited cases.  More money in remasters that they charge full price for.  I Expect this to slow down or even stop soon as much as I want to see a large amount of older PS2 games to be released in this fashion. I think I've bought almost 10 of these so far.

Note the expense to bring a PS2 title to PS4 isn't actually too much, as they run under the same emulator Sony has been developing for over a decade and all the PS3 HD Classics run on too. It supported around 87% of all PS2 titles as "playable" when they pulled it from public distribution, although for a commercial release it generally has to above 87% execution. Or not if it's Zone of Enders, apparently...

If it's not a Sony owned IP like none of the R* or Take-Two titles are, Sony financial stance matters none whether it's going to be re-released or not. They just take a licensing fee out of every transaction. Don't know whether QA is charged when re-releasing a PS2 title, that'd guarantee only the biggest sellers would be released. Yet we have non-Sony cult titles which are not expected to be huge sales like Fahrenheit and Psychonauts in there, regardless...

On 21/03/2017 at 9:29 PM, ars said:

Note the expense to bring a PS2 title to PS4 isn't actually too much, as they run under the same emulator Sony has been developing for over a decade and all the PS3 HD Classics run on too. It supported around 87% of all PS2 titles as "playable" when they pulled it from public distribution, although for a commercial release it generally has to above 87% execution. Or not if it's Zone of Enders, apparently...

If it's not a Sony owned IP like none of the R* or Take-Two titles are, Sony financial stance matters none whether it's going to be re-released or not. They just take a licensing fee out of every transaction. Don't know whether QA is charged when re-releasing a PS2 title, that'd guarantee only the biggest sellers would be released. Yet we have non-Sony cult titles which are not expected to be huge sales like Fahrenheit and Psychonauts in there, regardless...

Most of the titles released through this program have been extremely niche. Hell, we never even got Okage: Shadow King, Rise of the Kasai and Kinetica and I hadn't even heard of them until they got announced for it (for that matter a lot of them I hadn't heard of). A part of me laments Sony for being lazy and money grubbing for not offering universal backwards compatibility but I do appreciate that they're bringing over titles to regions that never got them back on the PS2. 

Also to the guy who wanted Drakengard why? It's a completely miserable experience. 

Just passing by this thread and wondering how much PS2 titles are missing from the store. Current PS2 titles are pretty unfamiliar except of San Andreas. I enjoyed Bully, Star Wars Racer, Kinetica and Twisted Metal Black but they really need to bring the big titles that never got an HD remaster. Castlevania, Burnout, SSX, Crash Bandicoot, Simpsons, Fucking JAK X...

Edited by BEAST_IHMOTEP

14 minutes ago, BEAST_IHMOTEP said:

Just passing by this thread and wondering how much PS2 titles are missing from the store. Current PS2 titles are pretty unfamiliar except of San Andreas. I enjoyed Bully, Star Wars Racer, Kinetica and Twisted Metal Black but they really need to bring the big titles that never got an HD remaster. Castlevania, Burnout, SSX, Crash Bandicoot, Simpsons, Fucking JAK X...

You don't know the other GTA games? GTA 3 and Vice City?

Also Dark Cloud and Dark Chronicles, Bully, Rogue Galaxy, Destroy all Humans 1+2, Red Faction, Red Dead Revolver, Ape Escape 2, Indigo Prophecy, Psychonauts, Max Pain and PaRappa the Rapper 2 were more or less well known games.

Literally all I need is ANY of the Tony Hawk games (but preferably Underground 1 or 2) and I'll be set for life on PS2 games for PS4. I'm just guessing licensing would be a big issue with that but I don't know any of the stuff involved with these re-releases.

3 hours ago, dell9300 said:

Update: Two PS2 games out next week according to The Drop. Fatal Fury Battle Archives: Volume 2 out on the 27th and Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life (Special Edition) on the 29th. 

Hopefully we'll get it here in NZ too, and I'll try and pick it up... Harvest Moon that is, gotta give one of those games a go at the very least.

15 hours ago, LunchCannon54 said:

A part of me laments Sony for being lazy and money grubbing for not offering universal backwards compatibility

There won't be any universal backwards compatibility between different iterations of the PlayStation. PS2 is a RISC machine and PS4 a x86-64 machine. Programs aren't interchangeable between completely different platforms, they have to be either ported or emulated, latter mostly being the case on PS3 and PS4. Furthermore PS2 doesn't have an operating system, instead the required drivers and modules are loaded from disc on boot, and they access the hardware directly without kernel interruption. That's a big no no on any modern computer and OS.

Modeling a machine under emulation on the other hand is an artform of it's own, especially accurately modeling the said machine. Bsnes takes up to 3GHz to accurately model some SNES games, a machine that ran on a 3,58MHz Ricoh chip. Especially old consoles that do not have OS and operate on direct hardware commands feature software that can and will abuse design flaws or peculiarities in the original PCB to push the platform capabilities a little higher. Depending on the design principle it might be impossible to model it, or make the program function properly on any other platform. Case in point being Zone of Enders, which HexaDrive was never able to fix to a satisfactory result on PS3.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/08/accuracy-takes-power-one-mans-3ghz-quest-to-build-a-perfect-snes-emulator/

On 2017-03-20 at 3:52 PM, Kevvik said:

Too many people want BC and bitch about that rather than rebuying the title.  I understand where they are coming from but also realize Sony isn't going to do it with the cash cow that is PSNow and full price PS4 remasters (FF7, TR, Bioshock Collection for example).  Sony wants new gamers and they will cough up for that whereas older gamers have the games and don't think they should have to pay for it again. It's totally about money coming in and that means expanding their user base with new users rather than catering to old users. Sucks but it's the corporate way now.

Seems like a bunch of assumptions to me.

3 hours ago, DrakeHellsing said:

Looks like they gave Harvest Moon a platinum, which is nice, especially after the non platinum fighting games that were released recently (which didn't catch my attention, just for the games in general).

At least we get more free PS4 themes with music every time a new PS2 fighter drops. I just assume they're all from SNK when they get a theme, the themes are usually how I know there's a new PS2 release now. Since they removed the PS2 category. :/ Not big on checking the full new release tab tbh.

Can't wait for Harvest Moon!

Just now, Elvick_ said:

At least we get more free PS4 themes with music every time a new PS2 fighter drops. I just assume they're all from SNK when they get a theme, the themes are usually how I know there's a new PS2 release now. Since they removed the PS2 category. :/ Not big on checking the full new release tab tbh.

Can't wait for Harvest Moon!

Yeah same here, though granted, I like to look at the new release tab anyway, you know, see what's new that week anyway.  But our store is rather messy really, everything is just slapped onto the front page really.