PS2 Games on PS4: General Discussion & Complete List

VeldinX

It's cool that they're bringing them over to PS4 despite having been remastered on PS3. It gives me hope that Ratchet & Clank will release on PS4 too. Jak and Daxter is fine, but we all know R&C is the better series. ?

I probably won't be picking this up since I already got the plats in the PS3 versions. I don't really have an itch to go back and play them. Not interested in playing some racing game spin-off either.

• Like 1

Just now, Undead Wolf said:

It's cool that they're bringing them over to PS4 despite having been remastered on PS3. It gives me hope that Ratchet & Clank will release on PS4 too. Jak and Daxter is fine, but we all know R&C is the better series. 1f44d.png

I probably won't be picking this up since I already got the plats in the PS3 versions. I don't really have an itch to go back and play them. Not interested in playing some racing game spin-off either.

Well, I've only gotten the plat in the first game myself, so if it's sold on it's own... dunno, I may get it again, as I still did enjoy the first game.  Only played a bit of the second game, never got around to the third game though.

• Like 1

Just now, DrakeHellsing said:

Well, I've only gotten the plat in the first game myself, so if it's sold on it's own... dunno, I may get it again, as I still did enjoy the first game.  Only played a bit of the second game, never got around to the third game though.

The first game is my favourite in the series. That was before they tried being all edgy and cool with the later games. I'll take an innocent third person platformer over some bootleg version of GTA any day of the week.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MarkusT1992 said:

That's good news. I liked every Jak and Daxter game.

The question is why not include Jak and Daxter The Lost Frontier?

With this all games would be available on PS4

Probably for the same reason Uncharted: Golden Abyss wasn't in the Uncharted collection..

1 minute ago, MarkusT1992 said:

But Lost Frontier was released on PS2.

Golden Abyss was a Vita only game. That's a difference.

I suppose. The GTA spinoffs were ported to the PS2, as well, though, and haven't been rereleased on the PS3 or the PS4. Interesting that God of War did it.

49 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

It's cool that they're bringing them over to PS4 despite having been remastered on PS3. It gives me hope that Ratchet & Clank will release on PS4 too. Jak and Daxter is fine, but we all know R&C is the better series. 1f44d.png

Jak is good but I agree. R&C is the best platformer from the PS2 generation hands down. 

Edited by Ratchet

26 minutes ago, DamagingRob said:

I suppose. The GTA spinoffs were ported to the PS2, as well, though, and haven't been rereleased on the PS3 or the PS4. Interesting that God of War did it.

The GTA Stories were released on PS3 actually, just waiting on their PS4 releases now... ;):D 

2 minutes ago, dell9300 said:

The GTA Stories were released on PS3 actually, just waiting on their PS4 releases now... ;):D 

Huh. Wonder why they put them on there in the first place, instead of doing PS4 releases. This happened last year? But I still would not get my hopes up with anything from Naughty Dog. I feel like they don't want to put the effort into it, for games where they weren't the developers.

2 minutes ago, DamagingRob said:

Huh. Wonder why they put them on there in the first place, instead of doing PS4 releases. This happened last year? But I still would not get my hopes up with anything from Naughty Dog. I feel like they don't want to put the effort into it, for games where they weren't the developers.

Nah they were released in 2013 as PS2 Classics. Would hope they'd come to PS4 as well. As for J&D The Lost Frontier, it probably won't come because it was panned. Naughty Dog have nothing to do with these like, it's Sony's decision. 

2 minutes ago, dell9300 said:

Nah they were released in 2013 as PS2 Classics. Would hope they'd come to PS4 as well. As for J&D The Lost Frontier, it probably won't come because it was panned. Naughty Dog have nothing to do with these like, it's Sony's decision. 

Must just be the bundle release date, then. Surprised I never noticed. :/

Oh thank you so much Sony, I don't care if it creates a duplicate trophy list on my account. I am getting the Jak and Daxter Series since it is the reason why I joined PlayStation over Xbox and Nintendo back in 2004. This is such a great day at the moment (even though I am sick) first this news and second someone posted a really great artwork of Tiara from Fairy Fencer on my Compile Heart community, let's just say Ooooooh myyyyyyyyyy  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

1 hour ago, Undead Wolf said:

It's cool that they're bringing them over to PS4 despite having been remastered on PS3. It gives me hope that Ratchet & Clank will release on PS4 too. Jak and Daxter is fine, but we all know R&C is the better series. ?

1 hour ago, Ratchet said:

Jak is good but I agree. R&C is the best platformer from the PS2 generation hands down. 

PSNWDR0.gif

In all seriousness, though I would hope that the Ratchet and Clank series comes to the PS4 as well and also for Sly Copper series to join them and make the PS2 Platform Trinity on PlayStation 4.

Edited by TheVader66
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, dell9300 said:

Naughty Dog actually has quite the pull inside of Sony it seems. Bend wanted to make another Uncharted on Vita after they wrapped up on Golden Abyss, but Naughty Dog was afraid of franchise fatigue [and I can't really fault them for this, it's a valid concern]. [then Bend wanted to try out inFamous... but by then Sony cut the cord :'(] Given the reputation of the studio, it wouldn't surprise me if Sony allow them a lot of freedom just so they keep everyone there happy and thus the quality of the studio remains largely intact. Naughty Dog is also a studio that was never supporting Sony's gimmicks that many other studios tossed in their games. ie; PS Move, while inFamous 2 had it, Killzone had it...

I still hope we get it though. People may crap on it, but I would still like to play it. People trash the R&C spinoffs a lot, but I still enjoyed the hell out of them for example. But then I knew they were different going in and so wasn't expect them to be traditional R&C... apparently that's hard for people. I digress. Maybe in like 6 months Sony can just dump the game out with no announcement. That's a good compromise imo :P

10 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

R&C is best. If I could only play one IP for the rest of time, it'd be R&C. I can never get enough.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, renatabls said:

Is there any release date for the Jak games? All i see are announcement trailers and articles but no dates anywhere!

Nah, the Blog just mentions they'll be released sometime this year. Gotta wait and see I guess. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gibbo_0113 said:

Are we sure these are gonna be emulations? From the link i got the impression that it was a full HD upgrade

The EU-post says the following:

Experience these Naughty Dog PS2 classics with 1080p up-rendering and Trophy support. Additional enhanced features include Shareplay, Remote Play, and Activity Feeds (an active PlayStation Plus membership is required to use certain online features).

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2017/04/03/jak-and-daxter-ps2-classics-coming-to-playstation-4/

And up-rendering typically hints at the fact that it's one of the PS2onPS4-games and not a completely new release. But I guess we will see when someone starts the game on PS4 and sees the PS2-logo or not.

Splashdown: Rides Gone Wild and The King of Fighters '98: Ultimate Match rated for PS4

gallery_13_192441.jpg

Rainbow Studios' jet ski racing sequel Splashdown: Rides Gone Wild has been rated by the ESRB for a PS4 release,

the latest in the increasingly long list of PS2 leaks to come from THQ Nordic. There's no sign of the original Splashdown, though

it should be noted that one was originally published by Atari not THQ so the rights to re-release it may not belong to Nordic.

Heads up to @Feddixx  ;)

hokuto-no-ken-collection-ps2-frete-gratis--D_NQ_NP_641611-MLB20586179379_022016-F.jpg

Also just leaked is the next PS2 game from SNK, The King of Fighters '98: Ultimate Match. That's the 2008

remake version with the addition of more characters, a host of new moves and new bosses, though it does

also include "Neo Geo Mode" which is direct port of the original version of the game. With the game just

recently rated by PEGI it shouldn't be too long until it releases for PS4.

Edited by dell9300
  • Like 1

On 4/3/2017 at 3:31 PM, MarkusT1992 said:

That's good news. I liked every Jak and Daxter game.

The question is why not include Jak and Daxter The Lost Frontier?

With this all games would be available on PS4

Main reason: It's not a classic. (Jak X: Combat Racing, though, is a classic.)

Secondary main reason: It's actually a port of the original PSP game, thus it would be a bad idea to port it over even if it was a classic. (It's just a doubly bad idea as the PS2 version is pretty poor.)

Daxter (PSP) is a classic, and good game, but it's also not coming to PS4 (because it's a PSP game). 

Daxter (which is not available on PS4 btw) and TLF would need remasters to be viably enjoyable on now gen systems.

On 4/3/2017 at 3:36 PM, DamagingRob said:

Probably for the same reason Uncharted: Golden Abyss wasn't in the Uncharted collection..

Golden Abyss was left out because its story was disconnected from the former-Trilogy. In the case of the 4 Jak games on PS4, The Lost Frontier is left out because it's not a classic, with its poor performance on PS2 acting as supportive reinforcement.

What supports that idea is that the successful, classic game, Daxter, which story is connected to the trilogy (there's actually a few bits of essential narrative aspects exclusive to Daxter that you'll only ever know from playing it), is not even included in the PS4 Jak line-up.

On 4/3/2017 at 4:10 PM, Ratchet said:

You're a Ratchet fanboy, you would say that... lol. Ratchet is good, you're right; however, Jak and Daxter: The Precursor alone is the best PS2 Platformer, and outclasses the entire R&C Trilogy on its own.

On 4/5/2017 at 1:14 PM, renatabls said:

Is there any release date for the Jak games? All i see are announcement trailers and articles but no dates anywhere!

No. It's just stated to be coming sometime this year. (May'be late-summer or fall?)

On 4/6/2017 at 5:25 AM, Gibbo_0113 said:

Are we sure these are gonna be emulations? From the link i got the impression that it was a full HD upgrade

Yes they will be. It'll be up-scaled to 1080p.

Edited by Mar

3 hours ago, dell9300 said:

Splashdown: Rides Gone Wild rated for PS4

gallery_13_192441.jpg

Rainbow Studios' jet ski racing sequel Splashdown: Rides Gone Wild has been rated by the ESRB for a PS4 release,

the latest in the increasingly long list of PS2 leaks to come from THQ Nordic. There's no sign of the original Splashdown, though

it should be noted that one was originally published by Atari not THQ so the rights to re-release it may not belong to Nordic.

Heads up to @Feddixx  ;)

"So much fun you'll wet yourself..."

And that lovely boxart.

• Like 1