PS2 Games on PS4: General Discussion & Complete List

VeldinX

25 minutes ago, ChiefMichigan said:

I really don't get Sony's tone-deaf attitude. We've had two Ty games that really did nothing but add trophies and 1080p support. We've had similar games like Republic Commando and others. They aren't the same as some of the PS2 games that are more straight up emulated, but they're barely different. And these titles have trended on the PlayStation Store.

The Dreamcast/PS2/GameCube/Xbox gen seems to be the one with the biggest nostalgia factor right now, and it has been for the last several years. Sony and Nintendo both need to wake up. People will buy older games, and a lot of times you barely have to do anything with the game other than making sure it runs on the new hardware.

It's especially bad in Ty 2's case considering that the voices are MORE compressed than they were in the original release despite them receiving 300 grand for porting a remaster that already existed on PC to consoles. I don't have a massive issue with them discontinuing the program but I just wish they'd release the ones they said they were going to release like Ape Escape 3 and Eternal Ring on the EU store. It's a shame they stopped it because we got a few hidden gems out of it like Okage Shadow King that never made it to PAL territories.

• Like 4

I've noticed that some of the newer PS2 releases like Ty, and Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance weren't included in the PS2 section of the store. Which kind of makes sense since they had some sort of upgrades instead of emulation. Just kind of a bummer that it's gone. They had the tab pretty hidden in the first place, and now it'll be even more difficult for people to run into them / search them up. I enjoyed that mini-collection being bunched together in that one spot. Not that big of a deal though. Just a lil' bummer.

• Like 1

The newer versions of the first two Ty games are remasters with plenty of things changed from the originals, as they are ports of the existing remasters on Steam.

Sony has nothing to do with them, as it is Krome (the developers for the games) that remastered and published them on their own, and they aren't a very big company.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 4

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Recently beat Jak and Daxter: Precursor Legacy. Never owned PS2 (or PS1, for that matter. It looked okay, to me. I struggled with inverse camera movement (was that common at that time?), and for someone who never really played any 3D platformers it was challenging yet not too difficult. 

Will go for Jax II next, but definitely want to play some of RPGs too.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 9/18/2022 at 8:48 AM, depresso-cat said:

Recently beat Jak and Daxter: Precursor Legacy. Never owned PS2 (or PS1, for that matter. It looked okay, to me. I struggled with inverse camera movement (was that common at that time?), and for someone who never really played any 3D platformers it was challenging yet not too difficult. 

Will go for Jax II next, but definitely want to play some of RPGs too.

The inverse camera was indeed common at the time, The original Ratchet & Clank games had it too!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...