PS2 Games on PS4: General Discussion & Complete List

VeldinX

On 7/4/2017 at 8:26 PM, Jak said:

Daxter (PSP) is a classic, and good game, but it's also not coming to PS4 (because it's a PSP game). 

It's the BEST PSP game in my opinion.

MGS Peace Walker was remastered to PS3 (and kinda saldy to X360, lol I wanted it to be a PlayStation exclusive forever) 

Anyway, MGS Peace Walker on PS3 was pretty good visually, so it is possible to remaster a PSP game and make it look good on a TV screen.

I really hope SONY remembers about Daxter and push for a remaster on PS4, that would be really awesome. 

I would enjoy every second going for the platinum trophy. I got 101% on Daxter PSP like three times, so nothing will be difficult for me.

On The Lost Frontier: I didn't like the game because it felt repetitive. 

It was released simultaneously on PS2 & PSP, I played PS2 version and it didn't look like an upscaled PSP version, It felt like any other PS2 game in graphics.

But, as you said, It's not a classic because fewer people played it and even fewer people actually enjoyed it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, charlijaen said:

I really hope SONY remembers about Daxter and push for a remaster on PS4, that would be really awesome. 

I would enjoy every second going for the platinum trophy. I got 101% on Daxter PSP like three times, so nothing will be difficult for me.

Same here. I loved the first game the most, despite some orbs giving me rage with having to do tricky jumps etc.

Do Naughty Dog still have all the rights though? If so, it'll depend on them mostly. If not, then we'll need another developer to pick it up like Activision/VV did with Crash Bandicoot.

18 minutes ago, Dr_Shaneman said:

Same here. I loved the first game the most, despite some orbs giving me rage with having to do tricky jumps etc.

Do Naughty Dog still have all the rights though? If so, it'll depend on them mostly. If not, then we'll need another developer to pick it up like Activision/VV did with Crash Bandicoot.

The Daxter game was developed by Ready At Dawn Studios (same as God of War Chains of Olympus) and the rights belong to SONY Interactive Entertainment, so it's up to them.

Also, Uncharted games are developed by Naughty Dog, but the rights actually belong to SONY.

On 9/19/2017 at 10:28 PM, charlijaen said:

The Daxter game was developed by Ready At Dawn Studios (same as God of War Chains of Olympus) and the rights belong to SONY Interactive Entertainment, so it's up to them.

Also, Uncharted games are developed by Naughty Dog, but the rights actually belong to SONY.

Confusing to say the least.

14 hours ago, Dr_Shaneman said:

Confusing to say the least.

Developer, producer, IP owner & publisher are sometimes the same company.

For example:

-FIFA 18 game.

Dev: EA Canada

Producer: EA

Publisher: EA 

IP owner: FIFA

-Jak 1

Dev: Naughty Dog

Producer: Sony Interactive Entertainment

Publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment

IP owner: Sony Interactive Entertainment

-Crash N sane Trilogy

Dev: Vicarious Visions

Producer: Activision

Publisher: Activision

IP owner: Activision

Naughty Dog founders sold Crash Bandicoot rights and the whole Studio to SONY before the release of the first game. Years after, SONY sold the rights to Vivendi Games and years after, Vivendi was sold to Activision

Licensing games to be published is complicated, and in this cases like PS2 to PS4 emulation there are some additional issues such as the original publishers don't exist anymore and the IP belongs to other company.

On 9/22/2017 at 6:41 AM, charlijaen said:

Naughty Dog founders sold Crash Bandicoot rights and the whole Studio to SONY before the release of the first game. Years after, SONY sold the rights to Vivendi Games and years after, Vivendi was sold to Activision

Naughty Dog NEVER owned Crash Bandicoot IP. Universal always owned it, then Vivendi acquired them and the rest is irrelevant.

Universal owned the IP, Sony published the games, Naughty Dog developed them. It was a very weird deal, Universal was basically a middle man who helped fund the games to some degree, but ultimately wasn't necessary. Which is why Sony dropped out, and instead chose to go directly to the developers and create something new for PS2. Something that they actually owned. Rather than continue to fund games they do not own the IP rights to. Which leaves Sony little protection from companies that would just pay Universal for use of the IP, or for Universal [at the time] to cut Sony out and continue without them. Despite Sony having helped build the brand.

Universal always owned Crash. Naughty Dog never had any ownership of the IP, nor did Sony. Sony never would have sold Crash if they owned the IP. Same thing applies to Insomniac and Spyro. Only difference there is they wanted to remain an independent studio, so weren't acquired by Sony.

Edited by Elvick_
  • Like 1

On 23/09/2017 at 3:08 PM, Elvick_ said:

Universal always owned Crash. Naughty Dog never had any ownership of the IP, nor did Sony. Sony never would have sold Crash if they owned the IP. Same thing applies to Insomniac and Spyro. Only difference there is they wanted to remain an independent studio, so weren't acquired by Sony.

Speaking of, who actually owns Spyro now?

1 hour ago, xtrminator05 said:

Apparently, more Rockstar PS2 Classics have been rated by the ESRB.

http://www.gamesradar.com/two-more-gta-games-for-ps2-are-coming-to-ps4-according-to-the-esrb/

Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories

Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition

Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max payne

Yessss!

I really hope this is true. The first GTA I 100%ed was Vice City Stories back on PSP times.

I also 100%ed Midnight Club 3 (PSP too). I never got to play the PS2 versions, but they look great.

Fingers crossed for Rockstar including a Platinum Trophy in each game. All of them are long and deserve a Platinum.

On 9/29/2017 at 2:30 PM, xtrminator05 said:

Apparently, more Rockstar PS2 Classics have been rated by the ESRB.

http://www.gamesradar.com/two-more-gta-games-for-ps2-are-coming-to-ps4-according-to-the-esrb/

Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories

Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition

Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max payne

Not Midnight Club or Midnight Club II? The two I played the most? Oh well, I'll take it. I'm pretty sure Rockstar will release them eventually. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/15/2017 at 8:32 PM, DrakeHellsing said:

So... what's the deal with Ape Escape 3, anyone know if the game is even coming out on the PS4 now or not? Cause it's been... quite some time since it was announced/rated and all that jazz.  That's another PS2 game i have been waiting on to play all over again, but... just no word of it.

PS5 exclusive. :P

Seriously though, who knows. I've heard rumblings that it's some licensing thing, but I can't be specific since I've not really played the game. I want it, damn it. Ape Escape 2 was sooooo long ago. I feel like we'll see PSone games on PS4 before we get Ape Escape 3. :/

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2017 at 8:15 AM, gameoncomrade said:

Glad to see that two other GTA games are coming to PS4. :eyebrow:

I still hope to see these games someday on the PS4

Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of Cortex

Crash TwinSanity

Crash Nitro Kart

NFS: Underground 2

Ape Escape 3

Total Overdose

Oh the hours i would dump into NFS underground 2 on ps4...