PS2 Games on PS4: General Discussion & Complete List

VeldinX

Awesome for Red Faction. Sad that no horror games have released this month though, specifically ones like the Fatal Frame games. I haven't gotten Siren yet though, so i guess I could snatch that as a Halloween-themed game. But I'm waiting till more PS2 games release, just a bit more, I don't want to get one, be done with it, and then wait weeks and weeks till another one comes out. But Red Faction is an awesome game from what I remember. Never finished the second game though.

currently I only got Primal, Dark Cloud will be next, then the rest, the only thing disappointing me is that there are no news about Fatal Frame 1, 2 and 3 to be released on ps4 with trophies support.

fatal frame would be a nice surprise for halloween but doubt we'll see it for that.

Awesome for Red Faction. Sad that no horror games have released this month though, specifically ones like the Fatal Frame games. I haven't gotten Siren yet though, so i guess I could snatch that as a Halloween-themed game. But I'm waiting till more PS2 games release, just a bit more, I don't want to get one, be done with it, and then wait weeks and weeks till another one comes out. But Red Faction is an awesome game from what I remember. Never finished the second game though.

Fatal Frame/Project Zero are definitely the ones I'm looking forward the most on this emulation! alongside Silent Hill, ObsCure, etc... :)

The PS2-PS4 catalogue really needs more horror titles, as of now there are plenty of RPGs and action games but only 1 truly horror one (Siren), and well maybe you can count Manhunt as Survival Horror I guess. Wish there were more variety. I do know that games like Silent Hill 2 were highly requested to come to PS4 and still are!

So hopefully Sony could make a deal with Tecmo (Fatal Frame) and Konami (Silent Hill) like they did with PS2 Classics last gen and so we can get some of them at some point. 

There needs to be more horror games in general, there weren't really that many last gen either compared to other genres

Actually horror games saw a huge revival this gen :) , last gen everything was about action 'cause of the then new RE4 over-the-shoulder camera nearly at the start of the PS3/360 gen which prioritized action, and Call of Duty getting a huge amount of popularity with titles such as World at War and Modern Warfare.

So action, shooters, explosions, etc became a big thing last gen, such was the popularity that even some horror games had to opted for a more action approach in order to keep being relevant, such as RE5, 6, Silent Hill Homecoming, etc...

But now with the start of the new PS4/XB1 game things has changed, the action genre became a bit stale since it failed to provide much innovation besides better graphics, so people wanted to see new experiences and with the help of titles such as Outlast, P.T./Silent Hills, Until Dawn, FNAF, etc which all of them became an internet phenomenon the horror genre once again returned.

Even Capcom was so pleased with their REmake and RE0 remasters' sales and seeing how their action-oriented REs were getting so much hate and RE6 actually not meeting the sales expectations Capcom originally envisioned it would have that's why they decided to go with what's popular now and returned to horror with Resident Evil 7.

There are so many indie devs nowadays releasing low-budget horror games and Sony is greatly supporting horror games for their PS VR device (I mean, horror is pretty much one of the most interest genres for VR).

So yeah, horror is back in my opinion, and hopefully we start to see more and more big budget ones if RE7 proves to be very successful. :)

Edited by Finozzi1696
  • Like 1

Actually horror games saw a huge revival this gen :) , last gen everything was about action 'cause of the then new RE4 over-the-shoulder camera nearly at the start of the PS3/360 gen which prioritized action, and Call of Duty getting a huge amount of popularity with titles such as World at War and Modern Warfare.

So action, shooters, explosions, etc became a big thing last gen, such was the popularity that even some horror games had to opted for a more action approach in order to keep being relevant, such as RE5, 6, Silent Hill Homecoming, etc...

But now with the start of the new PS4/XB1 game things has changed, the action genre became a bit stale since it failed to provide much innovation besides better graphics, so people wanted to see new experiences and with the help of titles such as Outlast, P.T./Silent Hills, Until Dawn, FNAF, etc which all of them became an internet phenomenon the horror genre once again returned.

Even Capcom was so pleased with their REmake and RE0 remasters' sales and seeing how their action-oriented REs were getting so much hate and RE6 actually not meeting the sales expectations Capcom originally envisioned it would have that's why they decided to go with what's popular now and returned to horror with Resident Evil 7.

There are so many indie devs nowadays releasing low-budget horror games and Sony is greatly supporting horror games for their PS VR device (I mean, horror is pretty much one of the most interest genres for VR).

So yeah, horror is back in my opinion, and hopefully we start to see more and more big budget ones if RE7 proves to be very successful. :)

That's not really many games you've named

Not sure how realistic it is to continue to hope for Silent Hill* 2/3 the reason the remasters were bad is Konami lost the final build source code.

edit; What's with me today, so many errors.

Yeah but those were remasters, since this PS2 emulations on PS4 don't require its source code to be touched and thus they just need to grab the original versions, up-scale them to HD 1080p and add new features like trophies/platinums and such that's why they would be so much better to have rather than playing the HD Collection, they are cheaper to make too so they earn more profits that way rather than investing on full remasters. :)

Thing is, Sony hasn't re-released any PS2 game that already had a HD remaster on PS3 and/or have been added to PS Now, and considering Silent Hill 2 and 3 did and were added to PS Now just a few weeks ago now I wonder if there will be any chance for them to be properly emulated at some point on PS4.  :unsure:

Personally since I already played them and as much as I would love to do it again with their original PS2 versions I'd like to see the other ones getting chances to be re-released too: 4: The Room, Origins and Shattered Memories. :)

In my opinion Konami would have more sales with PS4 emulations and not putting them on streaming services.

Yeah but those were remasters, since this PS2 emulations on PS4 don't require its source code to be touched and thus they just need to grab the original versions, up-scale them to HD 1080p and add new features like trophies/platinums and such that's why they would be so much better to have rather than playing the HD Collection, they are cheaper to make too so they earn more profits that way rather than investing on full remasters. :)

Thing is, Sony hasn't re-released any PS2 game that already had a HD remaster on PS3 and/or have been added to PS Now, and considering Silent Hill 2 and 3 did and were added to PS Now just a few weeks ago now I wonder if there will be any chance for them to be properly emulated at some point on PS4.  :unsure:

Personally since I already played them and as much as I would love to do it again with their original PS2 versions I'd like to see the other ones getting chances to be re-released too: 4: The Room, Origins and Shattered Memories. :)

In my opinion Konami would have more sales with PS4 emulations and not putting them on streaming services.

Where are you getting that they don't need the source code at all in porting them to PS4 with trophies?

And PS Now has plenty of PS3 games that are already on PS4. PS Now is not a PS4 feature, it's up to the publisher to decide what they want to do there.

Edited by Elvick_

Oh come on! Where is Yu-gi-oh duelist of the roses? Can you request PS2 games or is Sony throwing these games out randomly? 

I've got that one on my wishlist on the other thread.  But I think... Twitter is your best bet if I'm not mistaken.

Hopefully we'll see news or even a trophy list for Red Faction soon.

Where are you getting that they don't need the source code at all in porting them to PS4 with trophies?

And PS Now has plenty of PS3 games that are already on PS4. PS Now is not a PS4 feature, it's up to the publisher to decide what they want to do there.

They don't, that's why its just a PS2 emulation :) the PS4 has an internal emulator inside as stated by some technical reviewers, which was apparently quietly added on some update. They use a different way to add trophies that is different from the way they add them to remasters and other games, which doesn't require to touch the code. That's why they look and run the same as the original PS2 versions, and also why even the same bugs and glitches are kept. Up-scaling them to 1080p and adding the other features that are present in other PS4 games such as remote play, share play, streaming, etc... are done without touching the source code.

About PS Now, I was referring to PS2 games that got remastered on PS3, notice how nearly a year has passed and Sony is still avoiding to emulate any of their most recognoscible and popular PS2 franchises on PS4: Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, Sly, Shadow of the Colossus, ICO, God of War, etc... 'cause they've already been remastered on PS3, and perhaps they don't want people to complain about getting a "downgraded" PS2 version instead of getting the better remasters, and since those remasters have been added to PS Now that might be why we aren't getting the remastered ones on PS4 either, 'cause they must want to promote their streaming service.

Oh come on! Where is Yu-gi-oh duelist of the roses? Can you request PS2 games or is Sony throwing these games out randomly? 

I think they need to make deals with those publishers first, and then it takes some months to add trophies to them, that's why we aren't having a massive amount of PS2 games every month and they aren't emulating games from all publishers. Apparently the team who handles this emulation isn't too big  :unsure:

It seems they got a new publisher onboard, THQ Nordic, and that's why the last couple of leaks were about both Destroy All Humans and now Red Faction. 

When this emulation started some Sony employee called Dave Thach stated on Twitter that they should use the #ps2ps4 hashtag to request PS2 games on PS4, him and Shuhei Yoshida (the president of PlayStation) used to comment and give likes to many user comments when it started but now they don't do it anymore, although to this day many people still uses the hashtag every day. :)

You can create an account there and use the hashtag to request some, and also use @davethach and @yosp so they can see it. I even posted on their own tweets so there are even more chances for them to see them xD

Edited by Finozzi1696
  • Like 2

They don't, that's why its just a PS2 emulation :) the PS4 has an internal emulator inside as stated by some technical reviewers, which was apparently quietly added on some update. They use a different way to add trophies that is different from the way they add them to remasters and other games, which doesn't require to touch the code. That's why they look and run the same as the original PS2 versions, and also why even the same bugs and glitches are kept. Up-scaling them to 1080p and adding the other features that are present in other PS4 games such as remote play, share play, streaming, etc... are done without touching the source code.

About PS Now, I was referring to PS2 games that got remastered on PS3, notice how nearly a year has passed and Sony is still avoiding to emulate any of their most recognoscible and popular PS2 franchises on PS4: Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, Sly, Shadow of the Colossus, ICO, God of War, etc... 'cause they've already been remastered on PS3, and perhaps they don't want people to complain about getting a "downgraded" PS2 version instead of getting the better remasters, and since those remasters have been added to PS Now that might be why we aren't getting the remastered ones on PS4 either, 'cause they must want to promote their streaming service.

I think they need to make deals with those publishers first, and then it takes some months to add trophies to them, that's why we aren't having a massive amount of PS2 games every month and they aren't emulating games from all publishers. Apparently the team who handles this emulation isn't too big  :unsure:

It seems they got a new publisher onboard, THQ Nordic, and that's why the last couple of leaks were about both Destroy All Humans and now Red Faction. 

When this emulation started some Sony employee called Dave Thach stated on Twitter that they should use the #ps2ps4 hashtag to request PS2 games on PS4, him and Shuhei Yoshida (the president of PlayStation) used to comment and give likes to many user comments when it started but now they don't do it anymore, although to this day many people still uses the hashtag every day. :)

You can create an account there and use the hashtag to request some, and also use @davethach and @yosp so they can see it. I even posted on their own tweets so there are even more chances for them to see them xD

Just tweeted them there now, hopefully i'll get some sort of response. A platinum trophy must come with DOTR or else this whole thing will be pointless lol.

Just tweeted them there now, hopefully i'll get some sort of response. A platinum trophy must come with DOTR or else this whole thing will be pointless lol.

Erm I wouldn't expect to see an answer if I were you :) like I said they used to reply and give likes only on December last year when they started with the hashtag idea, but they don't do that anymore. Maybe they are still reading them, hopefully! ;)

Edited by Finozzi1696

Erm I wouldn't expect to see an answer if I were you :) like I said they used to reply and give likes only on December last year when they started with the hashtag idea, but they don't do that anymore. Maybe they are still reading them, hopefully! ;)

Here's hoping but i wont be holding my breath. 

I can see a platinum trophy with that game for sure, even if the list is on the small side.  But I agree, don't hold your breath for an answer.  But hey, doesn't mean they're not reading them though.  They could be reading them, jotting down the games without a word, you never know ;)

They just need the original ISO / ROM / Disc image (that sort of thing) for the emulator to run. The trophies are then developed and triggered from the code that already exists. They don't touch the original code at all, unless they decide to patch it like they did with the GTA Trilogy.

They just need the original ISO / ROM / Disc image (that sort of thing) for the emulator to run. The trophies are then developed and triggered from the code that already exists. They don't touch the original code at all, unless they decide to patch it like they did with the GTA Trilogy.

Don't they also upscale the graphics? Pretty sure that would require the source code. Also if that were true, we would have had a port of panzer dragoon saga a long time ago(the computers the source code was on was burned up in a fire)Sega stated it's not possible without the source code